Code of Conduct

Default New No.5 ad with Brad Pitt

Well, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGs4CjeJiJQ

If Chanel ask really nicely, I wonder if Audrey Tautou would come back ?

Default Re: New No.5 ad with Brad Pitt

That nearly ranks amongst the CC ones...... Lol....

Mock serious, gravelly voice INLMSO.....

It feels a bit unfinished. I'm wondering why they reused the whole Catherine Deneuve idea, it was great then, but could definitely be more creative this time.

Deep. Must buy 2 bottles later lol.

Oh, no likey! Was hoping they'd at least wrangle him into a tux. Well, at least my hopes were not high for this ad to begin with!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Well, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGs4CjeJiJQ

If Chanel ask really nicely, I wonder if Audrey Tautou would come back ?
    Or, Carole Bouquet.

Perfume commercials are by and large pretty terrible, but this one is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HmQWdwZ01M

What a terrible advert.

Blog Entries

When I first saw it, my immediate thought was "Oh, no - is it too late to get it back in to the editors? I'm not taking this seriously. It's like a bad joke!" But the second time I saw it, moments later, my reaction was completely different - I felt like it was perfect. I'm sure their focus testing told them the same thing. Chanel would never have let this out unless they were very solid on it. I think this is designed to connect to a very particular demographic, who I would agree are core to the long-term positioning of the scent. Paying the bills and keeping no. 5 in a sweet spot are jobs no. 1 and no. 2.

I do want to see Brad in his tux at some point, but not yet. I think Chanel has a lot of possibility with Brad Pitt, and they can do some ads that are going to get more kudos from folks like us. I feel like this one is being done very intentionally to get certain potential buyers in front of the scoop, so to speak, as well as to introduce Pitt in a very particular way.

I like the ad and have always liked Brad Pitt. The details leave room for interpretation. I think it is a brilliant idea!

one of the worst ads i've seen, brad pitt is sleepwalking and is completely misplaced (miscast?), and i like brad pitt. awful idea from chanel.

Love to know who the ad agency is. I haven't looked.

Well I guess this will help another generation of women purchase Chanel No 5 though Angelina Jolie would have been a better choice.

I don't really care either way. Not into perfume commercials.

Good idea but Brad Pitt can be as self-conscious as they come. This was one of those times. Awkward and hard to watch. Still, probably a good thing for Chanel.

I think they're aiming for divorcees and spinsters who at least own one cat that's called Brad.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    When I first saw it, my immediate thought was "Oh, no - is it too late to get it back in to the editors? I'm not taking this seriously. It's like a bad joke!" But the second time I saw it, moments later, my reaction was completely different - I felt like it was perfect. I'm sure their focus testing told them the same thing. Chanel would never have let this out unless they were very solid on it. I think this is designed to connect to a very particular demographic, who I would agree are core to the long-term positioning of the scent. Paying the bills and keeping no. 5 in a sweet spot are jobs no. 1 and no. 2.

I do want to see Brad in his tux at some point, but not yet. I think Chanel has a lot of possibility with Brad Pitt, and they can do some ads that are going to get more kudos from folks like us. I feel like this one is being done very intentionally to get certain potential buyers in front of the scoop, so to speak, as well as to introduce Pitt in a very particular way.
    Interesting. Although, I don't agree with you. I think we first need to ask: who/what was the focus group? Not all that perfume savvy, I'm willing to bet, at least not in any way that goes beyond being influenced by both a sex symbol—who looks decidedly UNSEXY here—and a name brand that still manages to haul along with it a smattering of cache as a luxury product.

I tend to believe that for the majority of people, perfume is an aspirational product with really only one purpose. Beyond the medley of notes or whether or not they are artistically constructed or the utilitarian question of whether or not it smells good to our nose, is the hope (conscious or not) that this liquid we are about to spritz on ourselves is going to help make us attractive to the object of our affection, who will at some point put their nose in our hair or against the base of our neck, take a deep whiff, and say, "Wow, you smell good." And then forever associate that smell with us. In other words, people buy perfume because of its potential power to seduce.

And if this assumption of mine is correct, then this ad fails.

Apparently there will be a second part coming out tomorrow.

Lets have a perfume game....

Maybe he is supposed to be advancing on the person watching and getting nearer and nearer because we are meant to be his irresistable kissing recipient because we are wearing no 5..... in the next exciting instalment..... mr Brad....

1) puckers for a kissy
    2) drops his gaze
    3) drops his kegs
    4) none of the above

A prize of a random scent sample or decant to the best answer before the second part....

His nose looks strange...

I didn't find the ad strange at all.

I think there was a mix up with his ironing because Brad came out flat and his shirt didn't.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I think there was a mix up with his ironing because Brad came out flat and his shirt didn't.
    LOL!

If you pay particular attention to the final part ("My luck, my fate..."), he looks like he's forgotten his lines and is nonchalantly reading from a prompt card. Utter crap!

I work in advertising, and I didn't like the ad. Right down to the black and white, it reminds me of the US version of the Gaultier2 ads with the "I've got to have you" dubbed in (and we all know where that scent is on American shelves today).

But even though this wasn't up to Chanel's usual ad standards, I do think that it will still sell a lot of No. 5 because of the celebrity factor.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Dependent

it was a terrible ad
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Oh my goodness, I'm still laughing. I hope SNL does a parody of it.

^ What you said 30 R! Though I don't have cable by choice..too much junk on there. Angie Jo doesn't seem Chanel no. 5 to me at all. Like no way. Who then? Who's classy these days? Cate Blanchett? Or how about no celeb at all, just the bottle.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    Apparently there will be a second part coming out tomorrow.
    And here it is :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=p...;v=9UvVmMamNgE

Marginally better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Best one yet.....INLMSO

Blog Entries

This ad is an eye sore. Not good.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Less doo-doo-ey. At least there's some connection to the perfume. But they should have just stayed with his voice-over. It's jarring, to move from full color lux gals gazing out at city lights to the Great Unwashed One with his bubblegum mouth delivery.

I prefer to have beautiful actresses and models like Kiera Knightley for Madelmoiselle, and Carole Bouquet and Catherine Deneuve for Chanel No. 5. Let Brad shill for Bleu.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

lol

Or Another World? Hehe, maybe he did better on the soap.

"One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Tell them Kalli.......

This is honestly one of the worst frags ads ive ever seen! Utter travesty!

- - - Updated - - -

This is honestly one of the worst frags ads ive ever seen! Utter travesty!

Blog Entries

Chanel is all in on the strategy, that's for sure. I opened my Sunday New York Times a wee bit late, today, and the full-page ad on the back of the Styles section is nothing but Brad Pitt, facing away from the camera:

No 5

INEVITABLE

#CHANELN5URTHEBUZZMORECREEDTHANCREED

Basenotes Plus

I was mildly embarrassed for Mr. Pitt.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Did anyone see on Conan where they made fun of it also? It's pretty bad when non-enthusiasts notice how bad it is.

Anyways, it was the same ad, but instead of Chanel No. 5, the bottle said "Brad Pitt's Nonsensical Ramblings"

No 5 is such a well known product worldwide. Why do they need such ludicrous advertising, after all these years ?
    It would be much more tasteful and powerful to show a 5 second macro close up of the No 5 logo with no comentary or music. Just a silent five seconds of that beautiful black and white logo. It would speak volumes.

..........Chanel is becoming very tacky.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The 4 parodies on SNL tonight were fantastic....

I am wondering..you think they made it silly on purpose to create buzz? Idk..it's just so bad..how could they not know it's that bad?

You can see some behind-the-scenes photos from the video shoot on the lachanelphile site.