Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fragrance Myths and realities

Some fragrance myths I was thinking of were the ad copy created by some fragrance companies stating that various aristocrats (named and unnamed) created or wore their scents.

Reality: pure advertising hype.

My fav myth is rubbing "bruises the molecules."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Some fragrance myths I was thinking of were the ad copy created by some fragrance companies stating that various aristocrats (named and unnamed) created or wore their scents.

Reality: pure advertising hype.

My fav myth is rubbing "bruises the molecules."
    LOL I have always been enamored with the British royal family, and for awhile looked everywhere to find out what Prince Charles' favorite fragrance was...too many rumors out there. I couldn't sort first hand accounts from rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    LOL I have always been enamored with the British royal family, and for awhile looked everywhere to find out what Prince Charles' favorite fragrance was...too many rumors out there. I couldn't sort first hand accounts from rumor.
    Yeah, I always wondered what Creed offered Kate Middleton to make a fragrance for her wedding, even though she went with Illuminum.
    Last edited by HORNS; 19th October 2012 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pawful View Post
    oh god, I've encountered a l'occitane rep who'd been on a company-sponsored trip to france too. She was adamant that there was a special nose that one in a thousand men have (and absolutely no women, ever, this was unthinkable) that made them able to distinguish different notes. Don't know where in france they go, but it must involve time travel and a lot of blowing.
    YES!! This woman was yammering on with the same insanity....wondering if I possessed "the nose." Unbelievable.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    YES!! This woman was yammering on with the same insanity....wondering if I possessed "the nose." Unbelievable.
    "Indeed, I do, madame - I can smell that you are . . . ovulating."

Blog Entries

Dr. Hannibal Lecter: ...You use Evian skin cream, and sometimes you wear L'Air du Temps … but not today.

Just returning to the coffee myth, which just came up in another thread I thought I'd add this potential explanation for it's currency and persistence:

I suspect, though could certainly not prove, that the coffee bean idea came about because no perfumery counter or boutique wanted to send customers outside for a breath of fresh air, for fear they would not come back in.

So when someone came up with the clever wheeze of the coffee beans, others followed suit and before you know it an urban myth was born.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    No, it's been around for a lot longer than that - they were just recycling a very old idea.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just found a source that dates it to 1971...

"Spraying in a cloud in front of you and then walking through the scent mist to get just the right amount is a technique which began by the launch of Aromatics Elixir by Clinique in 1971. This method was especially divised to cater for the bombastic blast of this superperfume and was then transfered through all of the Lauder Group companies."
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.co.uk/...y-perfume.html

I'm not convinced that was the first usage - can anyone find anything older?
    I don't know if it was the first usage ever but... when Aromatics Elixir came out (when I was a mere slip of a girl, of course ) the "walk through the mist" application method was so stressed by the SA, it was actually part of the selling campaign- this novel application methods no one had ever heard of was very intriguing & luxurious sounding to many women at the time.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Blog Entries

I am a nurse...molecules from any odor attach to hundreds of uniquely different receptors in the nose the combinations of receptors triggered help our brain distinguish over 10,000 different odors. many fragrances use a combination of similar volatile oils. we get mixed up after smelling similar scents...Coffee has powerful volatile oils . you could just as easily use an orange,banana, chocolate, gasoline or any other strong volatile oil not usually found in fragrance. it doesn't "reset" the receptors, it just overwhelms them with different triggers. It does work, but not b/c of "mysterious" reasons some people give....

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post
    1) "A cologne that you can't smell on yourself after 10 minutes means it it works well with your chemistry."
    (Yes, and if you believe this I have a bridge I would like to sell you)

2) "I can't smell the fragrance on the blotter cards... I have to spray it in the air or on me"
    (That makes total sense, please feel free to spray the counter that I just cleaned or drench the air so that the floor gets so wet small children and old ladies slip and fall. Oh... you decided to spray directly on the gift set... how lovely...)

3) "You need to taste the fragrance to see if it works well with your chemistry. If it tastes sour it is a bad match, if it s sweet that's good."
    (You just sprayed cologne directly into your mouth in front of your girlfriend, do you think you're going to get any tonight with that mouth?? Or are you trying to kill the remnants of your tryst in the fitting room?)

4) "Spraying into the air and walking thru the mist is the best way to apply fragrance"

5) "I had an ex that used a strong perfume and I discovered I am allergic so I can't wear any or be around ppl who wear cologne at all!"
    (Oh, really? I have a friend that is allergic to peanuts, that doesn't mean he stopped eating food altogether)

6) "You can only smell 3 different colognes before your nose becomes useless"

that's all I can think of now, Please feel free to discuss for or against and ADD your own, Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

7) Coffee beans actually help refresh the nose
    Great thread!

1) I hadn't heard this one.

2) I sometimes have a hard time getting a read on a fragrance on a card, but that's usually due to olfactory fatigue. Things do smell different on cards - sometimes enough to change my opinion of them. I have to admit that I have done the "spray the air" thing. I got the idea to do this from reading an article by Jean Carles where he said that atomizing into the air of the room is the only way to perceive the full fragrance quickly. On paper or skin you have to wait hours for the basenotes to come out. I don't know if I believe it, but I have found air sniffing to be useful. I try not to get it on anything, though.

3) This one's new to me too.

4) I can see this if you want to get a light misting of something very strong. I think spraying from a distance to spread it out more makes more sense than making a cloud and walking through it. That way you don't waste 90% of the juice.

5) Agreed!

6) I've gotten better, but olfactory fatigue is a problem when sampling. If you sniff closely several perfumes that have many of the same ingredients, your nose will lose sensitivity to those components. That will distort your perception of other perfumes. One trick I've heard perfumers use to analyze a perfume is to identify a key note, smell it in isolation to force olfactory fatigue, and then smell the perfume to see what it smells like with that note "subtracted". Then they can continue to test with more and more notes deleted by fatigue to analyze the composition in more detail.

7) I'm in the "coffee beans don't work" camp. I can't put it any better than Chris Bartlett. I try to just get some deep breaths of unscented air to help a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Myth - Only gay men wear women's fragrances

Reality - I don't think that's true...or just have not met the right guy yet
    That's totally true. Well, except for me. Me and all the gay guys happily wearing ladies perfume.

I was in the duty free in Manchester and the (flamboyantly gay) SA was pushing JPG Fleur de Male at me. I tested I tested Prada Amber for women, and he was appalled. He discretely informed me that it was for women, and was taken aback when I told him that I was aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_Safari View Post
    Myth: Fragrance is age, gender, sex, style, or era specific
    True - I hate this one! There are cultural associations that are pretty well ingrained, but I love it when people play against them. An alpha male wearing Chanel No 5, a woman wearing Aramis - both more interesting than the obvious choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    # A myth mos SA's use as a universal truth: "EDPs have the same smell as edts, only in a higher concentration..."

yeah, sure...
    This one is a pet peeve. I wanted to test Chanel No 5 parfum once at a Macy's. The SA showed me the EdP tester. I told her that it doesn't smell the same, that it's a different scent with some of the same elements. She was adamant that it was exactly the same, and the the perfume was just a little stronger. We had to agree to disagree. She clearly thought I was a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    I'll add:

Rubbing your wrists together will crush the molecules.
    That's a good one! Crushes the molecules! They don't get any sillier than this. I think all this will do is help the topnotes burn off faster.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Blog Entries

Rubbing wrists cannot crush molecules...otherwise we would all explode in an atomic nuclear fission explosion. IT CAN cause friction that causes heat that evaporates highest volatile oils..ie TOP NOTES. This causes the progression to heart notes/base notes faster.

I suspect, though could certainly not prove, that the coffee bean idea came about because no perfumery counter or boutique wanted to send customers outside for a breath of fresh air, for fear they would not come back in.
    That could well be the reason, yes!

If I'm sniffing at a fragrance counter, one thing I notice is the reactions of the SAs if I have a spray and then say I'm going to go for a walk around and see how it goes in the fresh air. In two local stores recently (Debenhams and John Lewis), the SA response was "yes, that's a good approach" (or wtte). These are both stores where I have gone back and made purchases.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Why on earth should coffee - consisting as it does of some 650 different identifiable odorous chemicals, many of which are the same as those used in perfume or present in other natural extracts used in perfume - 'reset' your nose any more than smelling another perfume does?
    Well, one could argue that the goal is to precede every perfume with the same scent that preceded every _other_ perfume. By this argument, it wouldn't matter if you're sniffing coffee beans, or a lemon, or a block of recently-sanded cedar, or a bottle of vanilla, or, yes, another perfume, as long as you always use the same thing. Except, one could further argue that a complex scent like coffee might involve the maximum smell receptors and do a better job of being a "pre" scent than many simpler scents.

But I don't know enough to argue any of that; I'm just theorizing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Rubbing wrists cannot crush molecules...otherwise we would all explode in an atomic nuclear fission explosion. IT CAN cause friction that causes heat that evaporates highest volatile oils..ie TOP NOTES. This causes the progression to heart notes/base notes faster.
    Actually, if SAs wanted to do something useful, they could combine myths to arrive at a useful truth. They could say that rubbing the fragrance between your wrists causes MOLECULAR TIME TRAVEL. If you rub hard for 30 seconds, you can smell what the molecules would normally smell like in an hour!

PS - don't rub too hard or too long - the molecules will go too far into the future!

That fragrances have genitalia.

While I do accept the existence of social or cultural associations pertaining to certain notes/accords, I won't accept having them forced down my throat.

I have really enjoyed this thread.

My problem with the coffee beans set out in stores is that they are old, sad, stale beans that smell bad. Set out new beans if you want to perpetuate the myth!

In terms of "crushing the molecules", I like to get 'em down to Rutherford gold foil experiment thinness -- not really, but I do like to share the love with the opposite wrist.

You all are so helpful, I appreciate your insights.

Quote Originally Posted by SaNielsen View Post
    ...Set out new beans if you want to perpetuate the myth!
    Lol!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan