Code of Conduct

Default Article: Chanel unveil Brad Pitt campaign

Default Re: Article: Chanel unveil Brad Pitt campaign

Omgosh..oh brother!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!! Am I the only one who thinks he can't act worth a beans? Ya, that goes together like peas and carrots, not. LOL Why? Haha.

That was very low key and unremarkable, how is that going to sell any bottles?

I don't get it. THIS is what they came up with to shill one of the most aspirational products of all time? Huh. All it really makes me want to do is comb Mr. Pitt's hair.

One word comes to mind - flat. The subpar lighting is very distracting.

Is Chanel no. 5 not selling as much or something? I guess Brad is supposed to get our attention? How cliche! Watch, it will be super lucrative for Chanel..ugh. I can see some women flocking to the Chanel counter when they see a big, black & white Pitt poster in the store..oh brother! Ugh, lol.
    Last edited by kalli; 15th October 2012 at 06:14 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I've always had a problem with perfume commercials. Most are downright annoying and poorly made. You'ld think a company like Chanel would do something exceptional, really inhance their brand. I certainly don't think they accomplished that with this ad. Chanel, you can do better than this.

Blog Entries

I have commented about the ad a few times in other discussion groups. So, nothing else needs to be said here, except that every time, I open the video to have another look, I cannot stop laughing !!!
    Well, at least he cracks me up. Never will something like that make me buy that elusive scent. "There you are." Where ? What ? Why ?

Why, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    I've always had a problem with perfume commercials. Most are downright annoying and poorly made.
    This. Agreed.

Saw it today. I agree with most of you, about if this was the only thing Chanel could come up with. The commercial was boring.

I hope that is real gold flake on the wall.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope that is real gold flake on the wall.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope that is gold flake on the wall.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope thats a real wall.

- - - Updated - - -

There may be hope yet

- - - Updated - - -

Poor Brad. He has better potential.

Intriguing idea to have a male celebrity endorse a fragrance targeted for women, but the execution is dreadful. This sounds like a hack writer's attempt to compose something poetic and profound. It falls embarrassingly and painfully flat. By the look on his face and his disinterested attitude, Pitt knows it. It's almost as if he's trying to distance himself from the ad even as he's participating in it.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Could have been a lot worse. Chanel could have used Tom Cruise instead.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it could have been much worse. The Chanel house could have used Tom Cruise instead with a mission impossible theme. Just think how horrid that would have been.?

Or use a track from the Top Gun soundtrack..lol

- - - Updated - - -

Or used a song from the Top Gun Soundtrack lol

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    Intriguing idea to have a male celebrity endorse a fragrance targeted for women, but the execution is dreadful. This sounds like a hack writer's attempt to compose something poetic and profound. It falls embarrassingly and painfully flat. By the look on his face and his disinterested attitude, Pitt knows it. It's almost as if he's trying to distance himself from the ad even as he's participating in it.
    agree 100%.

Basenotes Plus

Pitt looks like he'd rather be somewhere else. Spouting lines with all the enthusiasm of a guy whose nuts are in another's vice-like grip! Hilarious.

They can't all be zingers. :-/

... just to raise a critical mass of disapproval ... I wonder if it would ever make any difference but indeed the promotional video is not very promotional neither for Chanel No5 nor for Mr Pitt's acting-like-no-acting skills. I guess some serious cash has changed hands (or bank accounts), tens of people have been paid to produce this campaign, which at these times it is a good thing to put food on the table of hungry and thirsty stylists, hair dressers, make up artists, assistants of all kinds, room service boys and girls at expensive hotels, etc. All and all an enterprise that while totally unremarkable fed some people. Now I am sure that it also fed overfed people but that's life. One remark: Don't you think that the person in charge of conceiving this production must be having a rough time grasping the fact that this "stupendous" promo idea is not acknowledged as such by all of us perfume lovers!? Is it possible that we are all wrong?

This probably wouldn't seem half as laughable if he didn't say "inevitable" at the end.

Not glamorous, not chic, not interesting, not believable, certainly not ground-breaking and not taking you on a journey.

Wither the Chanel brand? Somewhere in an expensive office somewhere, the blind are leading the blind...

Wrong choice of actor. I wished they'd shaved his face at least. This reminds me of the old CK Obsession ads that were spoofed on Saturday Night Live.

This reminded me of the SNL fake commercials they used to do for CK Obsession. His acting seemed fake and overblown. For a classic scent like No. 5 I think this gimmick is almost shameful.

Ahahahahahahahaha! That was hilarious! That was one of the worst pieces of acting combined with one of the worst pieces of dialogue I've ever seen or heard!

I don't know whether Brad Pitt is more embarrassed about being on television looking like Billy Ray Cyrus or about selling out and doing such a terrible ad!

A complete fail... "inevitable"!

PS: The sad thing is that for this pathetic piece of advertising, he probably made more money than I will in a lifetime.

He could call his inevitable celebuscent Ennui.

Lame and bad acting. He appeared that this project wasn't taken seriously and as if something else was on his mind; dinner menu perhaps or where the nearest walgreens is to pick up some just for men and come the grey out of that mouth carpet.

I watched it again cause I am going to the dentist and needed a good laugh..my luck, my fortune...a big LOL, not convincing Mr. Pitt!

- - - Updated - - -

It won't let me edit but man at least shave dude! LOL. Ya, a Diesel ad would be better or Idk.. or some kind of dirty musk scent. LOL Yes, a haircut, a shave a tie..this would have been a little bettah!

- - - Updated - - -

btw..did he wash his hair? Sorry lol..come on though, lol..Inevitable LOL

It seems like he is looking at a fly that keeps buzzing around the room.

I still think there was a mix-up at the cleaners and somehow Brad came out flat and his shirt didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    It seems like he is looking at a fly that keeps buzzing around the room.
    LOL. I know, right? This just gets me cracking up. Like what's he looking at? LOL

- - - Updated - - -

He looks sad for a bit there. Like he got dumped and she's not coming back, LOL. Idk what's up, LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe he was thinking of Jennifer? Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    Agreed! No matter how good you are, you need a good director... Still, this is too funny
    - zoom in: "my luckkkah!" LOL
    He deserves an Oscar for this!

The lighting going in and out, moving around was bad too..black and white...wouldn't have chose that either. Just looks to solemn, sad or something, serious and grungy. Ya, CK or Diesel. Been getting too many chuckles, can't help it though.

Commerical in fine to me. Seriously, what is the problem ?

Basenotes Plus

Heard today that he made $7,000,000.00 for being the face of Chanel, at least that's what the Today show said.

I couldn't even tell it was an ad for perfume. A complete miss.

This is the most ridiculous ad I've ever seen!

The script is so pathetic that not even Sean Connery in the good ol' days would have been able to pull off the acting convincingly.

But Brad Pitt?! The guy doesn't have an ounce of irony about him! He tries to say those inane words seriously, without any sign of self-awareness!

I'm glad I'm not a Chanel no. 5 user. I would have felt too silly wearing it after this.

It makes me want to dress up my husband, get out the video camera and give it a go...he would be more convincing, I am sure. I agree, this does not ring my bell. How about a basenotes contest of an alternate commercial - the winner gets a big bottle of no. 5?

n3tcat, you are right. If he had done it with a touch of irony, it would have been better. And I think also that the ad would be better with a Latin actor - Javier Bardem or somebody. It's not the silly lines, it's that Brad doesn't do passion.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    It makes me want to dress up my husband, get out the video camera and give it a go...he would be more convincing, I am sure. I agree, this does not ring my bell. How about a basenotes contest of an alternate commercial - the winner gets a big bottle of no. 5?
    That's an idea, lol..get the husbands, or a friend to do it! Vote for the best one, lol. Win a prize. Good idea. Haha, though, who would be able to stop laughing with that dialogue! lol. Or concentrate with a bad light? Lol.
    Last edited by kalli; 17th October 2012 at 05:43 PM.

This spot was produced in-house by the fragrance company because Chanel apparently doesn't need any stinking ad agency to make their commercials.

“Here’s the deal, folks. You do a commercial - you’re off the artistic roll call, forever. End of story. Okay? You’re another whore at the captialist gang bang and if you do a commercial, there’s a price on your head. Everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink.”
    (Bill Hicks)

http://youtu.be/zBRpW5sEvJk

Why do they even need to advertise this product. It is so well known and established worldwide.
    The classiest ad for this product would be a 5 second macro close up view of the label logo.... No 5.
    Stop waisting your money on hollywood so called "icons" and have more faith in your brand.

Quote Originally Posted by impdaddee View Post
    “Here’s the deal, folks. You do a commercial - you’re off the artistic roll call, forever. End of story. Okay? You’re another whore at the captialist gang bang and if you do a commercial, there’s a price on your head. Everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink.”
    (Bill Hicks)

http://youtu.be/zBRpW5sEvJk
    It used to be true in the US that doing commercials was viewed as "selling out," and the perpetrator, er, star lost credibility. I remember when I first saw a commercial featuring Bill Cosby. "This guy doesn't need money," I thought. "What the hell is he doing?" These days it's accepted that stars, even fairly big ones, will do ads.

The change is not so much that people don't care that "artists" are selling out. It's rather that big stars are not viewed as artists in an "elitist way" anymore, but rather as part of a larger corporate machine.

I have commented elsewhere already as well, but this is so bad (even the 2nd part sequel) that I think it should win the "Golden Raspberry Award" for the worst perfume commercial (possibly ever made)....I would not be surprised if KOTLER's Marketing Bible or Harvard Business Review will use it in future as text book example of how not to do a commercial for a #1 global product. It is a total disaster (and I hope the responsible heads will roll, lol)