Code of Conduct

Default Need Some Opinions

Hey guys I needed your guys opinion on what cologne I should buy next and what I am lacking in my collection. I have been on this forums for a little over a year and started collecting fragrances for about one year. So far I have decent collection and looking to add maybe a few more bottled to end it. Below is what I own and I am wanting to add a fragrance from the Chanel house. In your opinion what is the best out of Chanel Allure Homme, Chanel Allure Home Edition Blanche, Chanel Allure Homme Sport. Also I would like to hear from you guys is what kind of scent am I missing from what I have. Like I said before I am only looking to ad a few more bottles so probably around three. So please leave your opinion on the Chanel line up and also tell me what I am lacking in my collection.

Acqua Di Gio - Giorgio Armani
    Le Male Jean - Paul Gaultier
    Angel Men - Thierry Mugler
    L'Eau D'Issey - Issey Miyake
    1 Million - Paco Rabanne
    Eau Fraiche - Versace
    Pour Homme - D&G
    The One - D&G

Default Re: Need Some Opinions

My favorite Chanel is Allure Homme Sport eau Extreme. I like it by far better than the others you've mentioned. You could try a couple of the most popular Creeds (GIT, Aventus) or I always feel comfortable recommending the following:

Boss Bottled
    Burberry London
    Rive Gauche
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    L'Instant de Guerlain & Extreme
    Terre d'Hermes EDT & Parfum
    Prada Amber or Infusion

Sound Scents

I really cannot recommend any from the Allure line as I dislike all of them. If you need to have a Chanel scent from their regular line, I recommend looking at some of their older releases like Pour Monsieur (not the Concentrée) or Antaeus.

As for what your collection is lacking... You appear to be fresh and gourmand heavy, but the only thing that is important is that you are happy with it... That said, if it were my collection I would look into adding some vintage 80s powerhouse scents, maybe a nice rose scent or two, some spicy offerings wouldn't go amiss, and maybe a nice fougère and a leather... I could go on and on... Part of the fun of collecting is there is always something you can add or tweak...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Plus

And please tell, does your screen name mean you own a Supra TT?

Chanel Allure Home Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    And please tell, does your screen name mean you own a Supra TT?
    Thanks for the reply guys. I was looking into some of the fragrances the first person recommended and I have sampled some of them and did not like them too much. I liked some of the ones he recommended but still have to sample it more before buying. Also does anyone know where I can get L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme. I live in Canada so I go to The Bay and buy them but they dont carry it there.

Yes I own a 1996 Supra fully built 2JZ engine took out the twin turbo and running a single turbo on 23 pounds of boost.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to add I sampled Edition Blanche and at first it was a citrus lemonley smell. Then after I get like spicy, peppery, woody. How do the other Allure Home and Allure Home Sport compare.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to add I sampled Edition Blanche and at first it was a citrus lemonley smell. Then after I get like spicy, peppery, woody. How do the other Allure Home and Allure Home Sport compare.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SupraTT View Post

Yes I own a 1996 Supra fully built 2JZ engine took out the twin turbo and running a single turbo on 23 pounds of boost.
    I know we are getting a bit off subject. I cannot remember when the last time I had seen a TT with a TT.

Aventus, La Nuit de L'homme, and Terre d'Hermes EDP. These are a bit darker than the ones you currently own IMO, so they would fulfill that need in your collection.

Out of the Chanel's, i'd get either Allure Homme Sport or Bleu de Chanel. They are both a bit softer and more in line with what you already own, but are both great.

You can get LIDGE from beautyencounter.com (UK), but not sure if they ship to Canada.

Also does anyone know where I can get L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme. I live in Canada so I go to The Bay and buy them but they dont carry it there.
    Call up the Guerlain Boutique in Toronto. They can ship it to you.

Also I would like to add what are our guys opinion on YSL L'Homme, L'Homme La Nuit, L'Homme Libre. I have tested YSL L'Homme Libre and I get a nice fresh floral smell to it. What would you say is the best one out of those three?

Chanel House:
    Not a huge fan myself
    Allure Homme smells very similar to Perry Ellis M (which goes for $20 a bottle. I doubt you could tell the difference)
    Allure Homme EB; I have not tried this one yet
    Allure Homme Sport: I like this one. It took me a few months to finally appreciate it, but my skin has finally "taken" to it (it used to smell like bitter alcohol on my skin)

YSL Line. My favorite designer line (I actually prefer it over TM now)
    Of the 3 you listed, Libre is the one I dislike the most.
    L'Homme is warm and inviting. I think of champagne whenever I smell it for some reason. The ginger bursts in a very pleasing manner
    La Nuit is a darker version of l'homme. It smells very similar, but instead of a burst of ginger, you essentially get a "gingerbread cookie" type scent to it. Sweet, but not Rochas man/Givenchy PI sweet.

My perfect scent would be L'Homme scent (L'Homme is my personal favorite from the line, by the way) + La Nuit's longevity

of the Chanel's you picked, I own CAHS, so that's what I picked. Also consider Bleu. The Chanel line for men (except Egoiste) generally gets bashed hardcore around here, so take what you see with a grain of salt. As for YSL, L'Homme is a solid versatile frag with sketchy longevity. La Nuit is a good sexed up, night time version of L'Homme with improved longevity. I'm not into Libre. You asked for three recommends. Looks like you're into designer and I think I spotted the pattern, so here's three:

Dior Homme
    Armani Code
    Pure Malt

also, just for kicks, smell Terre d'Hermes

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Appears as if you would enjoy:
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    Reflection Man
    Bleu de Chanel
    Burberry London

If I had an observation about your collection, I would say you have been very focused on the mainstream blockbusters. If it were a dvd movie collection, it would be as if the entire collection was "Star Wars", "Titanic", "Transformers","Spiderman", etc.. All fine and entertaining choices, and all might have a place in any collector's wardrobe of choices, but that the collection doesn't reach past those very prominent and popular choices would suggest to me that you have a big adventure ahead of you. What I see missing are darker and more atmospheric aspects of fragrance. You are very heavy on fun gourmands (A*Men, One Million, JPG) and the "fraiche" fragrances (Versace, l'eau d'Issey, Acqua di Gio) but haven't reached beyond. Perhaps those are the only types of fragrances you like, and if so, you actually have more than enough fragrance to last you the next few years. If you like what you have, why buy more?

I would suggest asking yourself what you are looking for that you haven't found yet. If you had to describe what you feel you lack from your current line up, how would you describe it?

In terms of variety, I would say you might want to look at darker, more atmospheric creations if those hold any interest. Things like Gucci Pour Homme (2003 - amber juice in square bottle, not the blue stuff), the Incense line from Comme des Garcons, Serge Luten's "Chergui", YSL's M7, Durbano's "Black Tourmaline", or, on the blockbuster end, something like "Fahrenheit." You also might want to forego a new bottle to do some decant exploration. You can find factory samples for a lot of interesting fragrances on eBay and you can purchase decants via the Perfumed Court (5ml is more than enough to get an idea of whether a fragrance is worth exploring further). This might give you a chance to sniff around, test different ideas, and focus in on what you feel you lack.

Banned

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel - I dare say it is one of best, overall, summer fragrances, a fantastic journey from its sharp, orange, citrus opening, through its imaginative, peppery, neroli and cedar heart, thence morphing into its exquisite, creamy and sexy, white musk and vetiver base.

And try:

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - Admittedly, with its dark and somewhat complex opening, with its petro-grungy facets melding with lush greenness, it could prove challenging. However, the overall scent is, perhaps, one of the best, green scents. The nuances from the opening, middle and base were and are the epitome of a ground-breaking scent, and, to me, defines sexy, classy and sophisticated.

+1 Fahrenheit
    +1 Burberry London

Duplicate post.

Sound Scents

Also I would like to add what are our guys opinion on YSL L'Homme, L'Homme La Nuit, L'Homme Libre. I have tested YSL L'Homme Libre and I get a nice fresh floral smell to it. What would you say is the best one out of those three?
    Yikes, those are three of the worst I have ever sniffed... It is hard to pick one that is "best." Of course the only opinion that is important here is yours.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)