Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Tribute Attar - how do I know which formulation i'm buying?

I've heard the recent formulation smells watered down and nothing like the original. Roughly when did this start? I've found a seller that claims he bought his batch roughly a year ago, would it be safe to assume it's the old version?

Default Re: Amouage Tribute Attar - how do I know which formulation i'm buying?

The batch variations were apparent from the first year, there's no way to extrapolate what it will smell like based on a date of manufacture or box style etc. The only way is to try the very bottle you a considering buying which of course is next to impossible. Or, you can buy a decant or a bottle on the secondary market from someone you trust and provided they know what the golden batch of Tribute smells like. The difference is very apparent - the good juice has bright, vibrant rose and super refined shimmering frankincense right at the opening with none of the muddled flat leathery lifelessness of the inferior batches. But after an hour or two its hard to tell them apart so even if you don't succeed in finding a "good" one, the "bad" ones are not all that bad really. Good luck!

So the dry down is pretty much the same? Would you say it's a work safe scent or would it seem like i'm trying too hard.

- - - Updated - - -

So the dry down is pretty much the same? Would you say it's a work safe scent or would it seem like i'm trying too hard.

If it was me, I would order a sample from Luckyscent. If you like the sample, then buy a bottle. I think it's totally safe to wear to work, but just one dab will do the trick.

I'm in the uk so eBay is my only option for samples as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidOcelot View Post
    I'm in the uk so eBay is my only option for samples as far as I know.
    Doesn't matter who you buy from, just make sure you get a current sample from them so you know what you'll be buying if you decide you want a bottle. At these high prices you want to be sure.

Luckyscent does ship international. $6.00 shipping for samples only.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidOcelot View Post
    I couldn't tell the different batches apart (I have three) by the drydown. Whether Tribute is work-safe is a question you'd have to answer yourself, as with any fragrance it'd be prudent to sample first. Even the most raved-about scents are not a safe blind buy, you have to like them and even more importantly - like them enough to justify the price.

Blog Entries

I recently went to a niche shoppe that sold Amouage. The owner didn't carry Tribute Attar...too expensive. BUT she had a sample that she had just received from Amouage. It was NOT like the original I had tried several years ago. This was heavy on the "campfire" smoke...smelled like someone cooking bacon over a fire. It covered the frankincense which is what I liked about the other I had tried. I was going to do a decant of Tribute If I could find some of the nice smelling variety, but so far I haven't found any. I agree with the others...try from the EXACT bottle you will be buying. Let me know if you find a good stash!!!

The 2009 to 2011 batches smell similar but the 2009 is the best though it is almost impossible to get!
    I noticed the HUGE difference about 6 months ago so if you can be sure that the supplier has a pre 2012 batch you may be lucky!
    I am down to the dregs of a 2009 bottle and now I just sniff it rather than wear it... so depressing!
    Good luck!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by artp View Post
    The 2009 to 2011 batches smell similar but the 2009 is the best though it is almost impossible to get!
    I noticed the HUGE difference about 6 months ago so if you can be sure that the supplier has a pre 2012 batch you may be lucky!
    I am down to the dregs of a 2009 bottle and now I just sniff it rather than wear it... so depressing!
    Good luck!
    I keep hoping I will stumble on an older batch being decanted...I couldn't justify buying a whole bottle even if it was the original formulation. At $650/30ml It is the most expensive fragrance I have tried so far in my hobby.

You're going to have a hard time finding any right now. Everywhere I called said Amouage wasn't supplying any more to them right now.

- - - Updated - - -

You're going to have a hard time finding any right now. Everywhere I called said Amouage wasn't supplying any more to them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by artp View Post
    Good luck!
    How on earth did you manage to finish a bottle? Isn't a slight dab sufficient for a full wearing?

I've actually given up on this fragrance, it's too expensive to sample till I find the right batch.

Ok, I admit it... I wore too much!
    (Since 2009 I have gone through 4 bottles... The shame of it...!)
    But it smells soo good!
    This does mean that I knew straight away when it changed. The new stuff is still good, but it is a little like looking at a very good copy of an Old Master. It is well done but not the same if you know or have the original!
    Ah well, I will just have to sniff my empty bottle and remember..