Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What do you think of the ads?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hot!

8 10.67%
  • Hilarious

57 76.00%
  • Brad who?

10 13.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Brad Pitt on Chanel No. 5

:')

Unintentionally (I hope?) hilarious... completely ridiculous. Whoever did this campaign should be fired.

Blog Entries

I first saw this in my local department store and took a picture to show my husband. I was absolutely thrilled!
    I never saw the TV ads as I don't watch TV per se but looked them up today (finally) and they seem just as perfumey as most perfume ads. I think the old Obsession one that Fry and Laurie parodied was much more silly. I mean seriously, how do you visually sell a scent? Most perfume ads are borderline weird if not all out mind-boggling.

I thought this ad would get a lot of support here and have been shocked to see that the response has been as mundane and short-sighted as with the general populace. I mean no offence by this (I'm sure I've chosen my words poorly as usual) and I'm not judging - I just expected more people to feel like I do here. I've actually been shocked by the response all up tbh.

I spoke to a woman at the DJ's Chanel counter and apparently heaps of young women are asking for (and buying) the 'men's fragrance. No. 5'. That also made me excited as this might just make SMELL OF OLD LADY trendy again! Unfortunately, it seems older women are not fans and find Brad Pitt's face up there a tad disturbing but that's ok because they'll buy No. 5 anyway.

I feel there is a vagueness to the ads that leaves a door wide open for average men to try womens fragrances. Chanel started the black nail polish trend too ...

The whole campaign makes me feel happy, so if the "It's great!" option was included in the poll I'd choose that (since I don't find Mr. Pitt 'hot')!

Unbelievably bad. I guess it must look different "in translation". It just looks silly, IMO. They should just recycle the Deneuve ads if they can't do better than this. His rangy look does nothing for the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    I first saw this in my local department store and took a picture to show my husband. I was absolutely thrilled!
    I never saw the TV ads as I don't watch TV per se but looked them up today (finally) and they seem just as perfumey as most perfume ads. I think the old Obsession one that Fry and Laurie parodied was much more silly. I mean seriously, how do you visually sell a scent? Most perfume ads are borderline weird if not all out mind-boggling.

I thought this ad would get a lot of support here and have been shocked to see that the response has been as mundane and short-sighted as with the general populace. I mean no offence by this (I'm sure I've chosen my words poorly as usual) and I'm not judging - I just expected more people to feel like I do here. I've actually been shocked by the response all up tbh.

I spoke to a woman at the DJ's Chanel counter and apparently heaps of young women are asking for (and buying) the 'men's fragrance. No. 5'. That also made me excited as this might just make SMELL OF OLD LADY trendy again! Unfortunately, it seems older women are not fans and find Brad Pitt's face up there a tad disturbing but that's ok because they'll buy No. 5 anyway.

I feel there is a vagueness to the ads that leaves a door wide open for average men to try womens fragrances. Chanel started the black nail polish trend too ...

The whole campaign makes me feel happy, so if the "It's great!" option was included in the poll I'd choose that (since I don't find Mr. Pitt 'hot')!
    Seriously? Young women are flocking to the perfume counters asking for "that men's fragrance, No. 5"? Wow. If you're an adult, even a young one, and don't know that No. 5 is an iconic women's fragrance, then I fear for our cultural future. That's like not knowing who Beethoven is. Or Mark Twain.

I get where they were going with this ad. A man speaks for the inevitability of No. 5. In his own life, it has pervaded his senses ever since he can remember. Perhaps his mother wore it, his first girlfriend, his current lover. It's a good idea, that approach. But it fails miserably in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post

Seriously? Young women are flocking to the perfume counters asking for "that men's fragrance, No. 5"? Wow. If you're an adult, even a young one, and don't know that No. 5 is an iconic women's fragrance, then I fear for our cultural future. That's like not knowing who Beethoven is. Or Mark Twain.

I get where they were going with this ad. A man speaks for the inevitability of No. 5. In his own life, it has pervaded his senses ever since he can remember. Perhaps his mother wore it, his first girlfriend, his current lover. It's a good idea, that approach. But it fails miserably in this case.

Meh, It can very easily be worn by a man.

I've worn it and I'm a double-hard scary bastard with the most outrageously masculine handlebar moustache you're ever likely to see.

Who says it has to be for women?

It just confirms my suspicions -- the guy is a terrible actor and is now off the artistic roll call for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post

I've worn it and I'm a double-hard scary bastard with the most outrageously masculine handlebar moustache you're ever likely to see.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be worn by a man. What I'm pointing out is the general ignorance of today's youth about anything not in their immediate cultural wheelhouse.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Epic. Meh.

Clearly I wasn't the target audience.
    Currently wearing: Cuoio by Odori

I love him, he is a beautiful man(one of the best), a great actor and his voice is sooo sexy!!
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post

Pix with you holding the bottle or it never happened!

I like the advert for its honesty. No 5 really is very common and inevitable.

Nooooooooo!!! It was/is awful! It's like he's bored to tears but is doing it for a paycheck. Or he's reading off a cue card and bored as heck. He looks like he just got back from a week long camping trip in the mountains. Bearded men with greasy long hair and Chanel no. 5 don't go together in my book. Awful. Awful choice on Chanel's end.

Agree with zebeline that they should bring back Catherin Deneuve or her older ads.

I think it all depends entirely upon if you personally fancy him. Man or woman. Personally I think it is the Pitts.
    Currently wearing: Montecristo by Masque