Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What do you think of the ads?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hot!

8 10.67%
  • Hilarious

57 76.00%
  • Brad who?

10 13.33%

Default Brad Pitt on Chanel No. 5

Default Re: Brad Pitt on Chanel No. 5

Hilarious!
    G

Considering the free marketing everyone is giving them, they've already made back whatever fee he got.

I would prefer to see women pitch women's scents. Let Brad be the new face of Bleu.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ElVee View Post
    Considering the free marketing everyone is giving them, they've already made back whatever fee he got.
    Most of the reaction I've seen toward this ad has been negative, I don't think that is what Chanel was hoping for.

Utter FAIL. LOL.

I mean it's so bad, it's like they wanted it to be funny on purpose.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

why not include a "other" option?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

There is....LOOOOOK

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...11#post2730411

This is just soooooo wonderful now....

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I would prefer to see women pitch women's scents. Let Brad be the new face of Bleu.
    My thoughts exactly Prim

summer means fireflys

While I don't think it's really hot, it is far from hilarious to me. I guess I'm really in the minority, but I sort of like the ads. <shrugs>
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Angelina would be a better fit for the campaign, but you can't blame Brad for trying. Seriously: "Hello, Basenoter? This is Chanel. Would you mind being our representative for Chanel No. 5? We'll pay you a lot of money, OK?"

Can you blame him? Of course not.

Wink Re: Brad Pitt on Chanel No. 5

Wasn't he paid seven million or something? I'm not a fan of Brad but I don't blame the guy in the slightest for this chuckle-fest. Nor do I care if he phoned in his performance. The ad is completely uninspired and they gave him a bunch of pretentious gibberish to read that would have made him a laughing stock regardless of how he had performed (though he's laughing too, all the way to the bank, no doubt) I think the blame falls squarely on either Chanel, their agency/marketing department, or both. No one could have made that commercial seem inspired, interesting or compelling.

This has made me curious about Chanel no.5 sales though. I mean I can't tell whether this ad is redolent of desperation or the marketing equivalent of victory-disease. That is, either they're doing well enough to feel comfortable taking a risk, or badly enough that gambling seemed an attractive prospect. On the other hand I don't think perfume ads have ever been accepted in pop-culture. I think it helps explain why this is an unusual hobby.

Edit - my suggestion is Chanel hunt down the Taco Bell dog, and have it speak with a Parisian accent. That can be the new face of Chanel no.5.

Twichly, most of us have already expressed what we think in our SotD thread dated October 16. You gotta show up more often, you know?, to see what is going on. Inevitably.

Banned

hehe then we would not talk about it would be usual....marketing is all about getting ATTENTION in my opinion they suceeded massively on this one

like nici minaj with her bottle hahaha

Haha, the parody is hilarious!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

I wouldn't care if they had the deliciously tantalizing Jonathan Rhys Meyers...I still won't be buying Chanel #5. It never did, and never will, do anything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    Edit - my suggestion is Chanel hunt down the Taco Bell dog, and have it speak with a Parisian accent. That can be the new face of Chanel no.5.
    Mike, you just made my day. Still chuckling.

I have to admit, perfume ads tend to leave me cold. They try too hard. This one is off the charts along those lines, IMO. But for $7 million, I too would be happy to stand there in grungy clothes and crappy hair and spout nonsense for 30 seconds. I just probably wouldn't show my face in public for a year or so afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by g.303 View Post
    hilarious!
    +1
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

Well, I picked hilarious because it was closest to my real reaction - stupid and boring. I just dont get it. Honestly, I'd rather see the Taco Bell dog. This goes under WWTT for me.

I'd be embarrassed for Brad Pitt if I wasn't imagining him smugly looking at his bank statements.

Come on, Chanel have got what they wanted. We are all talking about it, debating it etc. Instead of the usual, oh pretty ad, its WTH and on the conversation goes.
    DONNA

I think William Shatner should totally do a parody of that ad! LOL.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/415488

not sure if anyone saw this on saturday night live but its hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Come on, Chanel have got what they wanted. We are all talking about it, debating it etc. Instead of the usual, oh pretty ad, its WTH and on the conversation goes.
    Exactly! I think it's a smart move to revive No. 5 so that more people will talk about it and will want to try it.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have to agree. It's a novel idea, but the beauty of Angelina would have worked better because she may actually use the product.Then Brad could have done the Chanel Bleu for men! That would have been cool in a strange way!
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Sound Scents

It wasn't hilarious for me... It was just plain rotten.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    Exactly! I think it's a smart move to revive No. 5 so that more people will talk about it and will want to try it.
    Ya, I think it was intentional, they wanted it to get buzz. Mission accomplished. Interesting way to go about it...but I guess it may have worked. Guess they will see if sales come in or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I think William Shatner should totally do a parody of that ad! LOL.
    Yes, I do too - Shatner indeed!

And I did see the SNL parody, the guy was standing there mumbling, and I instantly thought - yes! Chanel No 5... loved it.

I thought Brad Pitt WAS imitating William Shatner.

:')

Unintentionally (I hope?) hilarious... completely ridiculous. Whoever did this campaign should be fired.

Blog Entries

I first saw this in my local department store and took a picture to show my husband. I was absolutely thrilled!
    I never saw the TV ads as I don't watch TV per se but looked them up today (finally) and they seem just as perfumey as most perfume ads. I think the old Obsession one that Fry and Laurie parodied was much more silly. I mean seriously, how do you visually sell a scent? Most perfume ads are borderline weird if not all out mind-boggling.

I thought this ad would get a lot of support here and have been shocked to see that the response has been as mundane and short-sighted as with the general populace. I mean no offence by this (I'm sure I've chosen my words poorly as usual) and I'm not judging - I just expected more people to feel like I do here. I've actually been shocked by the response all up tbh.

I spoke to a woman at the DJ's Chanel counter and apparently heaps of young women are asking for (and buying) the 'men's fragrance. No. 5'. That also made me excited as this might just make SMELL OF OLD LADY trendy again! Unfortunately, it seems older women are not fans and find Brad Pitt's face up there a tad disturbing but that's ok because they'll buy No. 5 anyway.

I feel there is a vagueness to the ads that leaves a door wide open for average men to try womens fragrances. Chanel started the black nail polish trend too ...

The whole campaign makes me feel happy, so if the "It's great!" option was included in the poll I'd choose that (since I don't find Mr. Pitt 'hot')!

Unbelievably bad. I guess it must look different "in translation". It just looks silly, IMO. They should just recycle the Deneuve ads if they can't do better than this. His rangy look does nothing for the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    I first saw this in my local department store and took a picture to show my husband. I was absolutely thrilled!
    I never saw the TV ads as I don't watch TV per se but looked them up today (finally) and they seem just as perfumey as most perfume ads. I think the old Obsession one that Fry and Laurie parodied was much more silly. I mean seriously, how do you visually sell a scent? Most perfume ads are borderline weird if not all out mind-boggling.

I thought this ad would get a lot of support here and have been shocked to see that the response has been as mundane and short-sighted as with the general populace. I mean no offence by this (I'm sure I've chosen my words poorly as usual) and I'm not judging - I just expected more people to feel like I do here. I've actually been shocked by the response all up tbh.

I spoke to a woman at the DJ's Chanel counter and apparently heaps of young women are asking for (and buying) the 'men's fragrance. No. 5'. That also made me excited as this might just make SMELL OF OLD LADY trendy again! Unfortunately, it seems older women are not fans and find Brad Pitt's face up there a tad disturbing but that's ok because they'll buy No. 5 anyway.

I feel there is a vagueness to the ads that leaves a door wide open for average men to try womens fragrances. Chanel started the black nail polish trend too ...

The whole campaign makes me feel happy, so if the "It's great!" option was included in the poll I'd choose that (since I don't find Mr. Pitt 'hot')!
    Seriously? Young women are flocking to the perfume counters asking for "that men's fragrance, No. 5"? Wow. If you're an adult, even a young one, and don't know that No. 5 is an iconic women's fragrance, then I fear for our cultural future. That's like not knowing who Beethoven is. Or Mark Twain.

I get where they were going with this ad. A man speaks for the inevitability of No. 5. In his own life, it has pervaded his senses ever since he can remember. Perhaps his mother wore it, his first girlfriend, his current lover. It's a good idea, that approach. But it fails miserably in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post

Seriously? Young women are flocking to the perfume counters asking for "that men's fragrance, No. 5"? Wow. If you're an adult, even a young one, and don't know that No. 5 is an iconic women's fragrance, then I fear for our cultural future. That's like not knowing who Beethoven is. Or Mark Twain.

I get where they were going with this ad. A man speaks for the inevitability of No. 5. In his own life, it has pervaded his senses ever since he can remember. Perhaps his mother wore it, his first girlfriend, his current lover. It's a good idea, that approach. But it fails miserably in this case.

Meh, It can very easily be worn by a man.

I've worn it and I'm a double-hard scary bastard with the most outrageously masculine handlebar moustache you're ever likely to see.

Who says it has to be for women?

It just confirms my suspicions -- the guy is a terrible actor and is now off the artistic roll call for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post

I've worn it and I'm a double-hard scary bastard with the most outrageously masculine handlebar moustache you're ever likely to see.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be worn by a man. What I'm pointing out is the general ignorance of today's youth about anything not in their immediate cultural wheelhouse.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Epic. Meh.

Clearly I wasn't the target audience.

I love him, he is a beautiful man(one of the best), a great actor and his voice is sooo sexy!!

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post

Pix with you holding the bottle or it never happened!

I like the advert for its honesty. No 5 really is very common and inevitable.

Nooooooooo!!! It was/is awful! It's like he's bored to tears but is doing it for a paycheck. Or he's reading off a cue card and bored as heck. He looks like he just got back from a week long camping trip in the mountains. Bearded men with greasy long hair and Chanel no. 5 don't go together in my book. Awful. Awful choice on Chanel's end.

Agree with zebeline that they should bring back Catherin Deneuve or her older ads.

I think it all depends entirely upon if you personally fancy him. Man or woman. Personally I think it is the Pitts.