Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Tauer Tableau de Parfums Loretta

Has anyone tried this yet? How would you say it compares to Miriam? Would like to hear your thoughts.

Default Re: Tauer Tableau de Parfums Loretta

They are quite distinct. They both share a certain modern, dry-spicy base typical of Tauer (think Orange Star, Rose Chypree, certain parts of LADDM). In fact, upon first smelling, I thought Loretta to be unbearably so; but in a later wearing somehow this base seemed toned down.

Apart from that, Loretta is a rich, dirty tuberose. It comes off not as huge bright tuberoses a la Poison or Fracas. More the sweetish indolic tuberose of the recent HdP trio. Miriam instead is an older style aldehydic floral (rosy, jasmine, etc). I would think of these as Chanel no 5 and Fracas if they had been conceived by Tauer. Not that Miriam and Loretta smell like that, but to give an idea about where they stand within their solid footing in Tauer's style.

cacio

I'm only familiar with Loretta but I've to admit I've been very badly influenced by a perfumer friend of mine who literally hates it. She bashed the fragrance so passionately that I think I won't be able to smell this stuff without thinking about a "$5 iteration of tuberose made by Coty" (her words).

Anyway, to my nose is sweet-dirty without being indolic (which is not good news).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sounds great to me - I loved the subtly sweet syrup of the tuberose in HdP Tubereuse 3. And Miriam was fantastic!
    Can't wait to give it a sniff

Only mildly interested in trying it, more like NOT interested, honestly. Andy's scents sit crooked on this skin.

I've not tried Miriam but I love and have just bought Lorretta. It is a warm, dirty and spicy tuberose with a honeyed dry down.
    Do happy

I'm somewhat nervous about this one - it really sounds like it could go either way for me.

treeman5823

Bad news. Loretta was not so good.
    The top notes are an uncanny recreation of life savers candy. As it dries down, however, some nice patchouli peeks its head through the sticky sweet mess, but it's not enough to save the perfume.

Basenotes Plus

I sampled both Miriam and Loretta tonight at the Scent Bar's event with Mr Tauer (who spritzed me)

I would categorize neither scent as "bad" - far from it. On my skin, Loretta is sweeter and more resinous than Miriam.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Got samples of Loretta and Miriam the other day. Loretta is candy-sweet; I think the Life Savers reference above nails it. And there is something dark going on in it too, but it's not indolic to me, it's more like smoke. It also seems to go quite quickly. A few hours after I put it on, there was no trace. I'm not generally worried about longevity in perfumes, but I was hoping for an interesting far-drydown and there was nothing.

Miriam smells to me like it belongs more in the Lush/Gorilla Perfumes range. Its immediate impression for me is baby powder. I'm not getting much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Got samples of Loretta and Miriam the other day. Loretta is candy-sweet; I think the Life Savers reference above nails it. And there is something dark going on in it too, but it's not indolic to me, it's more like smoke. It also seems to go quite quickly. A few hours after I put it on, there was no trace. I'm not generally worried about longevity in perfumes, but I was hoping for an interesting far-drydown and there was nothing.

Miriam smells to me like it belongs more in the Lush/Gorilla Perfumes range. Its immediate impression for me is baby powder. I'm not getting much else.
    How odd. It last forever one me! At leasts 10 hours. I don't know what Life Savers is, so can't comment on that.
    Do happy

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ladymurasaki View Post
    I don't know what Life Savers is, so can't comment on that.
    Little round fruit flavored candies.

treeman5823

I had high hopes for this one too....
    --Darth Vader cry: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!--

It seems it's a love or hate with this one. I love it. I don't get the Live Savers reference, because it is not what I am familiar with in my culture and upbringing.
    Do happy

Oooooo, yuck. Like a tube of Lifesavers melted into a wooden cutting board and then sat out in the sun all day. One of the few scents I've actually had to scrub off my skin, it was that difficult to take. However, the residual smell left after the scrub down is actually quite nice. As is the diffused waft I get from a bit of it sticking to the tip of my nose.

But full strength? As much as I consider myself able to handle any white flower/floriental that comes my way, this one is a no-no for me.

I don't love it, and I don't hate it - I prefer Miriam, but Loretta has it's fascinating little side notes when you really look into it. Here's my full review

Great review. Unfortunately, I don't get much of the oily feel (which I'd have loved, especially if it's something like Paco Rabanne Metal). But I do get the Tauer spicy, dusty base.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Great review. Unfortunately, I don't get much of the oily feel (which I'd have loved, especially if it's something like Paco Rabanne Metal). But I do get the Tauer spicy, dusty base.

cacio
    I get the oily grease pretty pungent - have you tried Bolt of Lightning? I guess tuberose has this quality that I never knew before - it's fascinating, but yes, faint in comparison to everything else in the composition. I find it much more of a jasmine/orange blossom than tuberose, but there we go The Tauer dusty base is good, but it's more leather woods, than ambery woods as it is usually. It's really interesting - not sure if I'd have a bottle of it but still, fun to sniff.
    Thanks cacio

I've done a full 180 on this one. Decided to throw caution to the wind and douse myself in my sample of Loretta on Tuesday. I don't think I get the oily thing or the bitter leather, but I will look out for them next time. I did get the spices and smoke and a lot more complexity than I'd initially smelled. The dark heart was much more apparent and it offset the candy. It just grew on me. And it didn't hurt that a colleague at work complimented me on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I've done a full 180 on this one. Decided to throw caution to the wind and douse myself in my sample of Loretta on Tuesday. I don't think I get the oily thing or the bitter leather, but I will look out for them next time. I did get the spices and smoke and a lot more complexity than I'd initially smelled. The dark heart was much more apparent and it offset the candy. It just grew on me. And it didn't hurt that a colleague at work complimented me on it.
    Nice on Kagey Glad to hear you have a new appreciation for it. There is a lot more going on under that sherberty hard candy. Do look out for the oily thing, when you find it you can't miss it. The bitter leather was also one of the leading drydown notes to me, until the cedar came in. I could imagine it's easy to get a comliment on this one - from a distance it just smells all round "good"