Code of Conduct

Default Does Tam Dao by Diptyque really smell like the real sandalwood oil to you?

I got a sample of Tam Dao because of all the review that this is the closest thing to pure sandalwood. I own some sandal wood chips that i burn as incense, so i know what the real thing smells like.. to me Tam Dao smells nothing like sandalwood. I detect no sandalwood but a synthetic note that i guess is supposed to be sandalwood? Do you detect any sandalwood in Tam Dao?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Does Tam Dao by Diptyque really smell like the real sandalwood oil to you?

To me it doesn't smell like many other scents whose pyramids show sandalwood.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Does Tam Dao by Diptyque really smell like the real sandalwood oil to you?

I detect the sandalwood, but their are other woods in the mix that are much more prominent...that being said, I really do like Tam Dao for what it is.

I'm burning some mysore sandalwood chips in my room now... smells nothing like tam dao
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    I detect the sandalwood, but their are other woods in the mix that are much more prominent...that being said, I really do like Tam Dao for what it is.
    this/+1/seconded...I don't know what else to say - a succinct observation with which I agree wholeheartedly.

Dependent

Burning sandalwood chips is just that -- burnt sandalwood smoke. Making an extract (through steam distillation or solvent/CO2 extraction) is a totally different process and smells different. Tam Dao does smell like sandalwood essential oil to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Burning sandalwood chips is just that -- burnt sandalwood smoke. Making an extract (through steam distillation or solvent/CO2 extraction) is a totally different process and smells different. Tam Dao does smell like sandalwood essential oil to me.
    Yes, this. Furthermore that creamy sandalwood that I smell with strictly the oil is sharpened by cedar. Any thoughts or disagreements with my perspective about the cedar component?

I smell rosewood and cedar in Tam Dao. The sandalwood is a background note, but that is how sandalwood smells, to me -mostly background and atmosphere. Sandalwood has a very recessive smell that is almost without top notes but with warm and vanillac airy resin scent. Rosewood, mostly.

i do get the traditional sandalwood at drydown.

No.

If you ask Luca Turin, He thinks it smells like a dining table..

I do not know ANY tables made from sandalwood.

Yes. Im wearing it today, sniffing as I write. Mainly cedarwood though.

NO , the closest mainstream fragrances where I detected the classical Mysore Sandalwood oil is Wonderwood , a woody sweet slightly butter scent , Santal Blush tries to create that effect using Australian Sandalwood and spices..

Not at all, it's nothing like Mysore Sandalwood - rosewood and cedar makes sense.

I used to wear Mysore many years ago when it was still plentiful. From the above I would rate the Sandalwood Attar (Amouage) and of course, Dominique Dubrana's Santalum Album EDT as the truest available mysore sandalwoods. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Sandalo Inspiritu Parfum is a fantastic deep composition but discontinued (as is the Crabtree & Evelyn EDT)

The rest are all pretty good in their own ways but still a substitute for the real thing, I think Chanel may still have a bit of mysore in the vaults for Bois des Iles but I wouldn't bet my life on it - I recommend the Extrait.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 18th October 2012 at 09:28 AM.

It really smells more like cedarwood than sandalwood. In my experience with essential oils and fragrance oils; sandalwood is soft, sweet (in a very subtle way) and a little powdery. Cedar, however is more sharp and peppery. I get more cedar than sandalwood in Tam Dao, although I do get sandalwood as well, and more so when it dries down. Perhaps what I am actually smelling is just this overdose of "Iso E" that everyone claims to get. But then again, when I compare it with Molecule 01 which is Iso E based, Tam Dao definitley smells more like wood.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Santal Blush tries to create that effect using Australian Sandalwood and spices..
    You might be interested in this... I tried Tom Ford Santal Blush one day and I didn't pay close attention. I had been trying other things too. The next day I opened my closet and I was blown away by the most beautiful sandalwood. I hadn't smelled anything like it for a long time. I was honestly bamboozled at first then I realised that it was the Santal Blush on the sleeve of my jacket. It smelled just like I remember sandalwood should smell. I have tried it since and it is definately a beautiful sandalwood.

If you can get the original Crabtree and Evelyn Extract of Mysore Sandalwood you will be in for a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabularasa View Post
    I agree with this, I have Tam Dao and Pure Sandwood oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I smell rosewood and cedar in Tam Dao. The sandalwood is a background note, but that is how sandalwood smells, to me -mostly background and atmosphere. Sandalwood has a very recessive smell that is almost without top notes but with warm and vanillac airy resin scent. Rosewood, mostly.
    Ive had Mysore sandalwood figurines (elephants, horses and other designs) since childhood. Tam Dao has some Authentic sandalwood smell but also plenty of other notes which I assume to be cedar wood and rosewood.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Ive had Mysore sandalwood figurines (elephants, horses and other designs) since childhood. Tam Dao has some Authentic sandalwood smell but also plenty of other notes which I assume to be cedar wood and rosewood.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    You might be interested in this... I tried Tom Ford Santal Blush one day and I didn't pay close attention. I had been trying other things too. The next day I opened my closet and I was blown away by the most beautiful sandalwood. I hadn't smelled anything like it for a long time. I was honestly bamboozled at first then I realised that it was the Santal Blush on the sleeve of my jacket. It smelled just like I remember sandalwood should smell. I have tried it since and it is definately a beautiful sandalwood.

If you can get the original Crabtree and Evelyn Extract of Mysore Sandalwood you will be in for a treat.
    I have 10 ml of of pure Mysore Sandalwood Oil from the Karnataka Handicrafts store, which is where Mysore sandalwood comes from, it is the best option for mysore sandalwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabularasa View Post
    This.

Wood shavings and sawdust.

Nice though.

People are correct that it is fairly different from pure Mysore sandalwood but it does a pleasant impression of sandalwoods smooth buttery aspect in the dry down. Regardless I think it is a nice scent if you enjoy unfussy contemplative wood scents.

When I was last in London, about a year ago I visited a well known arabian oud perfume store in Oxford St., (sorry to say I have forgotten the name ~ maybe someone can prompt me ?) They had an oud oil blended with sandalwood. It was to die for......but the price tag was around 120 for 3ml. As beautiful as it was, it was out of my price range. A friend and I tried it and we were on a high all evening. It was really beautiful.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Not at all to me. It's a good cedary incense with a hint of sandalwood.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

As a couple of others have suggested comparing a fragrance to the smoke is a bit useless. Try and get some oils and see what you think.