Code of Conduct
    treeman5823

Default To the Terre d' Hermes Lovers

To me, Terre d 'ermes is nothing groundbreaking. Bergamot, a heavy dose of Iso E, flint n' cedar, vetiver....
    Whatever. I'd like to hear from some of the d'Hermes lovers out there...what about it do you like so much, and why do think it has become so popular?

Default Re: To the Terre d' Hermes Lovers

When you talk about any fragrance with negative language like that, it's going to sound bad.

As for myself, I love TdH because it's versatile, fresh yet not too light, easy to wear in the fall/winter (right now), and it's pretty interesting with it's notes. Sure, there are a lot of citrus woods, but there is something sharp and dry yet refreshing about Terre D'Hermes that I just dig.

It's not for everyone, but it is for me.

Bergamont?

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    As for myself, I love TdH because it's versatile, fresh yet not too light, easy to wear in the fall/winter (right now), and it's pretty interesting with it's notes. Sure, there are a lot of citrus woods, but there is something sharp and dry yet refreshing about Terre D'Hermes that I just dig.
    + 1. I would also add that it is VERY long lasting.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

I love citrus and the fact that Terre is dirty citrus is pretty cool to me...I don't love Terre de Hermes but I like it for what it is.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    When you talk about any fragrance with negative language like that, it's going to sound bad.
    I think there was some confusion here. I'm not condemning Terre, it's just in--in my humble opinion--not as great as its attention would suggest. That's why I created this post-- so I could read opinions other than my own.

Its hard to explain but with all the aquatic, gourmand and other extreme varieties out there you have a scent here that is adult, professional, manly and very well blended. I know some don't like certain aspects but the citrus is perfect for spring/summer and the woods is perfect for Fall and Winter. When I spray it I get a quick hit of a light orange and pepper followed by an earthy dryness that dries down into the best cedar and vetiver scent I've ever experienced. If you get some on clothing and smell it later you'll know what I mean. Smooth. When I wear it to work I know I smell good and it fits all occasions. You know when you wear this that a) youre still unique b) you smell great and c) it fits wherever you are. It's one scent I wear often and never worry about offending or being out of my element. After all of that you might think..sounds boring. But to me being overly sweet is obnoxious, being overly musky is over the top, being too aquatic is passe. With TdH your the guy who people are always asking "who smells so good" without knowing what it is they are smelling.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 18th October 2012 at 02:42 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sound Scents

I love everything about it. As for why it is so popular....? Maybe because it smells good?
    Last edited by drseid; 18th October 2012 at 05:00 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

It's a little synthetic for my taste, but it smells quite lovely. I'd get a bottle if I could get one cheaply. It's a high end designer fragrance so it's hard to find it sold for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Its hard to explain but with all the aquatic, gourmand and other extreme varieties out there you have a scent here that is adult, professional, manly and very well blended. I know some don't like certain aspects but the citrus is perfect for spring/summer and the woods is perfect for Fall and Winter. When I spray it I get a quick hit of a light orange and pepper followed by a earthy dryness that dries down into the best cedar and vetiver scent I've ever experienced. If you get some on clothing and smell it later you'll know what I mean. Smooth. When I wear it to work I know I smell good and it fits all occasions. You know when you wear this that a) youre still unique b) you smell great and c) it fits wherever you are. It's one scent I wear often and never worry about offending or being out of my element. After all of that you might think..sounds boring. But to me being overly sweet is obnoxious, being overly musky is over the top, being too aquatic is passe. With TdH your the guy who people are always asking "who smells so good" without knowing what it is they are smelling.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    Couldn't have put it better myself.
    I'll try

I see where treeman is going w/ it. TdH in all its variations are tame concoctions when compared to knockout men's scents from Hermes' lore: the immortal Eau D'Hermès, Rocabar, Équipage and especially, the classic Bel Ami(~ the current incarnation) are all genius.

I happen to prefer Kelly Caleche over TdH for it being akin to DH according to LT, & w/ Dior Homme reformulated, probably makes more scents & less lipstick The best KC description I've read is from Chandler Burrs's last paragraph in The Perfect Scent, "..the smell of (wet) leather bathing suit emerging from a swimming pool." Another JCE creation Burr alluded to in the same paragraph, ".. a leather sprinkled w/ sugar," is IMHO the modern reformulation of Bel Ami." Pls feel free to comment as I'd love to hear your thoughts.

On a separate note, I've been itching to attend the Andy Tauer event this wkd. However, w/ the NLCS on the line & Gmen's attempt to win 2 of the last 3 WS hanging by a thread in a 3+ hr rain delay & loss, I'm tempted to just glue myself to the TV & cheer on my beloved Gigantes..

Simple - Just like the way it smells on my skin

For me it was the grapefruit (not orange!) and flint notes. Both of these were superbly done when I first sniffed it. Completely blew me away. The dry down as someone has already said is also exceptional with its Cedar/Vetiver combination.

I like the dirty citrus smell. Declaration is also one of my favorits.

It is just sooo attractive on guys. It just is. I have said this before but I have honestly followed a man wearing Terre D'Hermes in the supermarket just to catch his trail!

My Mr. is getting some from Santa, whether he wants it or not.

Analysis can´t fathom love....

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Analysis can´t fathom love....

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I cannot tolerate the strong dose of Iso Super e. Way too strong in that area. I appreciate it but cannot wear it.

I actually like the scent but it's "headache in a bottle" to me. It might get boring if I could wear it but I guess I'll never know. With synthetic musks that bother me I've found that I can sometimes blow on the area sprayed and get rid of some of it, but with TdH the synthetic elements just keep coming, and I think it's the iso e super because other frags with a lot of it also bother me. Another thing is that it doesn't seem to have any "softness" to it, so while it seems like it's going to be rich at first, it never gets there because it's unrelentingly "hard."
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th October 2012 at 01:43 PM.

Dcampbell

I like Red Vetyver better. It has the actual cedar note in it. Other than all the great things that has already been said the only thing I can add is its an addicting smell.

To me its the blending. If ceder trees grew oranges and you cut off a limb, the wood would smell like terre.

I like it because of the flinty/mineral notes - I love that combination in wine (like French Sauvignon Blanc), and it really impressed me in TdH. It helps that it lasts forever, is moderately priced, and is a great work fragrance.

Like the dry down. It has an old vibe I enjoy a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Odorloader View Post
    To me its the blending. If ceder trees grew oranges and you cut off a limb, the wood would smell like terre.
    Very close to my experience also. I certainly don't think of it as an 'orange' scent. The orange for me is of the very mature, dried and reconstituted type, leaning towards dried pine needles. Its as if they were fermented together. That's not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    what about it do you like so much, and why do think it has become so popular?
    because it smell good on me,
    and it is better than alot of rubbish frags out there

give it a few more go, and hopefully it'll change your perspective on Terre D'Hermes
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I wear Terre d'Hermes parfum because I enjoy the earthy citrus notes. Despite being a designer fragrance, I don't find it too synthetic. It's also very versatile.

I think that it is popular because it is well balanced. It is fresh enough to have mass appeal and woody and spicy enough to maintain masculinity. Also I think that it is very dependable on wearers skin (and of course tolerance to ISO E super) because it smells much better on test strip than on my skin.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I like it, but I find that Kinski takes all of the good parts of TdH (the earthy notes, the flint/gunpowder, the cedar and vetiver) and renders them in a much more organic whole.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

TdH is a fragrance that I enjoy yet I find myself not reaching for it very often. There is something in it that is kind of weird to me, not sure what it is but it definitely hits right on the top notes, and lingers lightly in the base.

It is versatile fragrance season wise yet not setting/purpose wise. This can be worn any season. Yet I would not feel comfortable wearing this scent: on a date, for a night out, or to a formal event. I use to say that it smells dirty but I must digress and quote Bigsly on his very great analysis....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Another thing is that it doesn't seem to have any "softness" to it, so while it seems like it's going to be rich at first, it never gets there because it's unrelentingly "hard."
    All in all it is an enjoyable fragrance with great longevity and projection, yet not one I am eager to pull out.

I wore it for a while, but don't enjoy it much any more. There's no denying it gets great love on basenotes, and I myself liked it quite a bit for a short period. I think it gets love because it is a very unique blend of notes -- others do citrus or the other notes in a different way, but TdH is the only one that combines them in the way it does. I don't think anything else smells quite like it.

But I'm not sure how "popular" it is, at least outside of basenotes. I don't think I've ever smelled it on another guy where I live . . . still just an endless parade of AdG, Cool Water, generic aquatic, or dimestore cheapies. My neck of the woods isn't very advanced, so I could be wrong. For all I know, it's Hermes' best seller.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ralmeida View Post
    I like it because of the flinty/mineral notes - I love that combination in wine (like French Sauvignon Blanc), and it really impressed me in TdH.
    Interesting comparison! Your comment me of some delicious Sauvignon/Semillon I've had from Entre Deux Mers. I definitely get that grassy vetivery impression and citrus in Sauv Blanc.

As many others have stated as well - and I'm speaking more for the Parfum version which I like a bit more - I enjoy the rich citrus blend early on, then how the flint note blends in, and finally the nice woody, vetiver base. It's rich & sophisticated, yet earthy & clean all at the same time. I just find it well blended, transitions well, is pretty versatile and oh yeah, as hednic stated, simply just smells good on my skin.

Anybody tried Aramis by Aramis? It smells so much alike.

------------------
    "Time is money, so I bought a Rolex."

Quote Originally Posted by Jefyulo View Post

------------------
    Don't get this at all. Not even close. Aramis is powerhouse sweet/80s to me and not close to TdH. But that is why we are here..noses are different.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sound Scents

------------------
    Sorry, they are completely different.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

treeman5823

If you think about it, Terre d'Hermes really does corner a great deal of the designer market in the realm of “dirty (or earthy, that's better) citrus." If you walk into a department store, for instance, you are much more likely to encounter traditional citruses in the vein of a John Varvatos. This apparent monopoly of the earthy citrus niche probably lends Terre some popularity points.

------------------
    Yes, provided you wear Terre D'Hermes while high on cannabis and after taking methilphenidate, sildenafile, metandrostenolone and a little (just a little) ethanol. It does not only smells like Aramis, you can feel it in your groin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    ......For all I know, it's Hermes' best seller.

"........In 2004, Jean-Claude Ellena was appointed the house perfumer at Hermès. By 2008, perfume sales at Hermès had reportedly tripled, and Terre d’Hermès was the top selling perfume for men in France........"

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    "........In 2004, Jean-Claude Ellena was appointed the house perfumer at Hermès. By 2008, perfume sales at Hermès had reportedly tripled, and Terre d’Hermès was the top selling perfume for men in France........"
    Guess it was not only Ellena's work, we can as well blame it on your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    To me, Terre d 'ermes is nothing groundbreaking. Bergamot, a heavy dose of Iso E, flint n' cedar, vetiver....
    Hmmm how about you name me one more (dirty citrus) fragrance with a blend of iso e super, flint, cedar and vetiver. That set of notes is groundbreaking to begin with! Not to mention the impeccably blended red pepper, orange/grapefruit, cumin and cardamom. On top of that, there's little to no musk in the base - that's super rare for a fragrance.

It's the most unique thing out there!

The only thing that comes close is Red Vetiver by Montale, which is pretty much just a copy of the Terre d'Hermes (smells like the EdP). At that, even Red Vetiver smells unique and amazing.
    Sales thread here

Maybe because the "market niche" of modern vetiver is still quite underexposed, quite unexplored, thus growth potential and increasing customer interest were there.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    On top of that, there's little to no musk in the base - that's super rare for a fragrance.
    Are you sure? I seem to remember some "clean" musk in it...

Basenotes Plus

This my fourth purchase in my renewed love of fragrance. If I sampled it earlier it would be my first, when I put this on in the morning, I am enveloped in a wonderful refreshing cloud of bergamont for the rest of the day... I just love how it smells to my newbie nose.

I also have the new L'Ambre des Merveilles (which is marketed to woman, but was sold to me, and I really like it as well) - am I wrong to want to try another Hermes?

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaPsy View Post

am I wrong to want to try another Hermes?
    Not at all