Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default the real value of a fragrance

Is fragrance collecting an expensive waste of money?

First of all, fragrances are, in fact, a luxury. We could all live perfectly normal functional (albeit more dull) lives without them, but they are luxuries.

Those who think fragrances are expensive haven't ever looked into upgrading cars, computer upgrading, trading cards, gun-owning, motorcycling, etc. And fragrances almost always have guarenteed scarcity, which means 1ml of anything will be worth the same in 10 years as it is now (if not more due to reformulation). How many hobbies can you name where value is retained? Even silver and gold have spikes every now and then.

But, I look at some of the same people who would criticize someone for spending $1000 on 20 fragrances, and see that, they in a sense, "waste money" too.

There are plenty of people who celebrate easter and christmas with $200 family dinners at fancy restaurants. And it all food decomposes into the same thing in the end.

There are people who spend $1000 on a one-week cruise or vacation (hell, there are people who spend $3000+ on that). And that's perfectly acceptable. But when you buy a couple of fragrances, that's somehow waste of money.

Why would I spend $1000 on something that will only last a week? One week later you'll be back at work and that money would have practically vanished. Me, I'll be able to enjoy what I purchased for 5-10 years.

And that's the value that fragrances have. They last 5-10 years (at the very least) if you take care of them. And if I wanted, at any time, I could sell my entire collection for almost all that I paid for it.

There isn't a whole lot that you can purchase which will still remain usable or relevant in 10 years.

The point is no luxury is really better than any other luxury. All that matters is that you are happy. If you have the money, spend it on what you enjoy. If you don't, then be more conservative.

Default Re: the real value of a fragrance

You can't compare the cost of a fragrance to the cost of a vacation, they work on very different levels. Apples and Oranges.

I have trips that stand in my memory as very significant, I wouldn't trade them for anything still, even though they are over. I don't want that money back, it wasn't a waste.

But you're right about it being a luxury, no one needs even one bottle. The only value will be to yourself, as with any hobby. Other people can't put a value on someone else's interests. My parents ask me all the time "are you still wasting money on all that cologne?" I have to politely say "no, I've never wasted any money on any of my fragrances." I can't counter them with anything though, they aren't the collecting type. Unless you count my Dad's continued desire to take college classes even though he's retired now, he collects knowledge. I would call that a waste of time, but that's for myself, not him.

One thing is certain, depending on how deep you get into fragrance collection, it has the option of being very VERY expensive.

But, you can't put a price on memories. Especially holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    The only value will be to yourself, as with any hobby. Other people can't put a value on someone else's interests.
    Very true.

Blog Entries

People spend money on all sorts of things that don't give monetary return...If fragrances make you confident, or feel better, than they are worth it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    You can't compare the cost of a fragrance to the cost of a vacation, they work on very different levels. Apples and Oranges.

I have trips that stand in my memory as very significant, I wouldn't trade them for anything still, even though they are over. I don't want that money back, it wasn't a waste.

But you're right about it being a luxury, no one needs even one bottle. The only value will be to yourself, as with any hobby. Other people can't put a value on someone else's interests. My parents ask me all the time "are you still wasting money on all that cologne?" I have to politely say "no, I've never wasted any money on any of my fragrances." I can't counter them with anything though, they aren't the collecting type. Unless you count my Dad's continued desire to take college classes even though he's retired now, he collects knowledge. I would call that a waste of time, but that's for myself, not him.

One thing is certain, depending on how deep you get into fragrance collection, it has the option of being very VERY expensive.

But, you can't put a price on memories. Especially holidays.
    well said!

Wisely purchased bottles are never a waste of money.

Fragrance collecting is relatively inexpensive if you buy quality. I've collected many other things in my life and the key to collecting is taking your time and going the slow and steady route. Rome was not built in a day and neither is a collection, but over 5 or 10 years a collection of anything can be quite formidable with minimum financial sacrifice.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

Banned
    Blog Entries

^ exactly. buying a $2000 collection seems expensive, but over 10 years, it's very managable.

and yeah, buying a fragrance because you like it vs buying 10 fragrances because they are cheap, the former is much better option

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Totally agree with noirdrakkar. Fragrances are a luxury, but they are a luxury that brings considerable pleasure to me life. Fragrances have a way of uplifting my spirit when I am feeling down. And, they really do last a considerable amount of time when well taken cared of. I enjoy this hobby and it has brought a lot of joy to my life and I believe that others have shared in my joy.

Blog Entries

Studies have been done on what makes people happy (self-reported), and the results indicate that good experiences tend to create happiness more than buying material things does.

But I'm sure not just any experience will do. A memorable holiday with loved ones-- great! An average dinner out--not so much. Give me a bottle of great perfume any day over 3 or 4 meals out. But give me our family vacation in Washington DC over any of my perfumes.

I keep on telling myself that buying a fragrance is also buying a piece of quality, of style, and, though not believing in Creed-type marketing, also buying some sort of memory too, since almost any fragrance has some sort of a positive connection, association in some corner of my mind.

Besides, fragrances, in spite or maybe because of their high cost, have "added value" to my overall quality of life, sure, other factors were involved too, but so far, fragrances "did their share".

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Studies have been done on what makes people happy (self-reported), and the results indicate that good experiences tend to create happiness more than buying material things does.

But I'm sure not just any experience will do. A memorable holiday with loved ones-- great! An average dinner out--not so much. Give me a bottle of great perfume any day over 3 or 4 meals out. But give me our family vacation in Washington DC over any of my perfumes.
    well put.

to me? a fragrance is MUCH different from other things that cost a lot of money.

many people buy expensive cars, expensive clothing, timepieces, big houses, etc. to make themselves look more wealthier and powerful.

not so much with niche collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    well put.

to me? a fragrance is MUCH different from other things that cost a lot of money.

many people buy expensive cars, expensive clothing, timepieces, big houses, etc. to make themselves look more wealthier and powerful.

not so much with niche collectors.
    Interesting thread idea...& you have some good thoughts & responses...but people also buy those things for the same reasons many of us buy fragrances...because they truly just enjoy & appreciate them on a personal level, or it makes them feel good in some way. It's no different than the fact that some people buy and wear fragrances solely to impress others or try to garner compliments from them. I know most of us here on BN don't have that sole focus with fragrance, but many people do.

While it's true that many things don't at least retain their value and last as long as some quality fragrances, there are still plenty of "collectibles" that do, or that even appreciate in value over time. I'd venture to say that the great majority of collectors, however, aren't really all that concerned about the external value at much more than a surface level. I mean, really, if people truly wanted to "invest" in something that would give them a good financial return at some point down the line, there are FAR better options than collectibles of some sort. Therefore, I feel that for the great majority of people, the value of certain fragrances is completely subjective and open to interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    ^ exactly. buying a $2000 collection seems expensive, but over 10 years, it's very managable.

and yeah, buying a fragrance because you like it vs buying 10 fragrances because they are cheap, the former is much better option
    +1 Agreed! One thing I've learned collecting frags is SPEND THE MONEY! Don't buy something because it's cheap because chances are you won't enjoy it and you'll end up spending more in the long run. Not saying all cheap frags are bad but I'd rather spend quality money on quality scents that I like.

Also, I spend on average R700-R1500 (100-200 USD) and yes I know it's a little but I'm young and only starting my collection. However for people who don't wear perfume it's a lot and they'll tell me how crazy I am to spend so much but then all I do is remind them of the stuff they spend money on every month which I don't buy - cigarettes, alcohol etc. Shuts them up quite nicely

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keagz08 View Post
    all I do is remind them of the stuff they spend money on every month which I don't buy - cigarettes, alcohol etc. Shuts them up quite nicely
    In USA, if someone smokes 1 pack of cigarettes/day at $6/pack that is $2190/year...Fragrances are a much healthier way of spending over $2,000!!!!

Why do you feel the need to justify spending your money on a fragrance? Is it because people think it's crazy to spend that much on a fragrance? Why does it matter what other people think? If you think a bottle of fragrance is worth $200, then it IS worth $200 - to you. If others don't think it's worth it to spend that much, they're right - for them.

Unless you're buying strictly for the sake of reselling at a profit, only you can decide the real value of a fragrance.

Possum-Pie used cigarettes as an example of how costs add up, and he's absolutely right. Most of my friends aren't smokers, but they spend $5 to $10 a day (if not more!) on coffee drinks. Eff that! I buy beans and make my own each day. I spend less per year on coffee than they spend in a month even though we probably drink the same amount of coffee. But that doesn't mean they're wrong to spend their money the way they do. Eff that too!

The real value of a fragrance, in terms of money, is the price tag combined with a Yes or a No as you decide whether or not to buy it. The real value of a fragrance, in terms of happiness, is also something only you can decide since only you know how much happiness you get from it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I don't even have that many fragrances and I wear mine quite often. Yet it seems like they never seem to deplete at a fast rate. When I buy a bottle its almost as though they are permanently with me
    Favorite notes at this point: Sandal wood, Oud, Frankincense, Rose