Code of Conduct

Default Dark scents? When a scent is dark, what's it like?

What excactly in my wardrobe are dark scents?

Which are the darkest scents you know?

What kind of reactions does the dark scent causes to others?
    For sale (Worldwide): Dark Aoud, Jazz Prestige, Ungaro I Edt + Aftershave, Versace L'Homme Vintage etc.

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Default Re: Dark scents? When a scent is dark, what's it like?

Black Tourmaline is a dark scent that comes to mind. Aoud Pur Oriental for me is another of mine that conjures up that image..

Complete opposite of fresh. Something that is dense. Strange...for some reason, it's hard to explain

Its a mental thing. generally, the scent is sort of muted, though it may have tremendous sillage. it is austere and simple in its composition. citrus, for many people, is an excited and cheerful: it may come from some deep understanding of warm weather, harvest and food, who knows. Tonka bean, which i am NOT nominating as a dark scent, is darker by comparison.

then again, in parts of asia white is the color of death.

Dark suggests different things to different people. To me, it's when the frag recalls me something dark, like woods, a deep forest, a cave. Materials like certain woods and spices, birch tar, some leathers, and similar. In your wardrobe, things that come to mind are the Montale aouds, Or Black, Antaeus.

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

To me a dark frag is one that is dense, on the heavy side, intense in nature, and kind of wraps you up in it's scent. Even though I don't really care about what frag goes with what season, I wouldn't wear a dark frag in warm weather, I think it would be quite suffocating. As others have said, it is the total opposite of a fresh frag.

^ In addition to the above, in your wardrobe... Salvador Dali pH.

No.88 is pretty dark.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Encre Noire can be dark if too many sprays are used...well at least for me

I agree with everything said here, the woody or resinous notes usually. I would like to add that I usually also find incense notes to be dark as well.

I don't find Encre Noire dark as such. But from among the scents I've been privileged to use or even test, Fahrenheit Absolute comes off as unmistakably dark. Try this one sometime to get a feel of it.

Eucris, No 88 and Black Aoud are pretty dark to me. Certain notes to me like Patchouli, Geranium,Cummin and certain ouds are pretty dark.

Encre Noir is darkness bottled!
    "The Exodus is here... The Happy Ones are near..Let's get together before we get much older!"
    - Pete Townshend

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Completely agree that Encre Noir is on the dark side.

When I hear "dark" , I picture Fahrenheit Absolute or even normal Fahrenheit to a certain extent. Chanel Antaeus also seems pretty dark to me .

I think of a combination of base notes like castoreum, leather, patchouli, cumin, etc. with a little bit of amber. Blending is usually such that there is a bit of a creamy quality (either that or strong lavender or a strong fougere accord). Black frags, on the other hand, tend to be sweeter (usually syrupy), with less notes, and some element along the lines of tobacco or an alcoholic beverage. Spice notes are usually obvious. Lavender is common to both.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th October 2012 at 11:27 AM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I think of a combination of notes like castoreum, leather, patchouli, cumin, etc. with a little bit of amber. Blending is usually such that there is a bit of a creamy quality (either that or strong lavender or a strong fougere accord). Black frags, on the other hand, tend to be sweeter (usually syrupy), with less notes, and some element along the lines of tobacco or an alcoholic beverage. Lavender is common to both.
    Well put Bigsly. Nevertheless, "dark" and especially "black" on BN (and in general) always struck me as strange uses of those words. I find the words verge on useless/meaningless because their meaning varies subjectively so much. (As opposed to "bright" for example, which always seems to refer to citric or herbal "sharp" accords.)

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

'Dark' is associated with the mood or feelings that certain accords evoke, by virtue of scent associations. Example: smoky note = burning coals/woods => a destructive process => sombre atmosphere => darker or melancholic mood. It's not easy to explain but humans are still hardwired to literally smell trouble/danger.

I has to have lots patchouli in it my opinion.
    Any opinions I post here about frags only reflect MY PERSONAL TASTE and only my personal preference which could change at any moment.

Smokiness (vetiver, incense), earthiness (vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood) and certain sweet herbal/floral qualities (heavy rose, lavender as mentioned above, tobacco, caramel etc) when coming together produce a dark effect.

Encre Noire, Gucci pour Homme, Egoiste, No 88, DHI all smell quite dark throughout.
    M7, on the other hand, has a very dark opening but seems to settle into a lighter mood later on.

Of course, each of these qualities alone doesn't seem to be enough to produce the requisite darkness. Timbuktu and Dzongkha are almost ethereal. L'Instant EDT is not dark enough, Dior Homme EDT positively glows (lol), and no doubt countless other examples exist.

My guess for a dark scent? One with an absence of citrus and excessive florals.

Tokyo Milk have a line of "dark" scents with black bottles and macabre images in white ink: cockroaches, .45 pistols, feather quills.

My favourite is the Bulletproof, which comes across as an almost leathery scent.

http://www.tokyo-milk.com/t/femme-fatale
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

A fragrance that smells mystical, strange, and sometimes bone dry that gives you a lonely vibe

M7
    Black Aoud
    Dark Aoud
    Encre Noire
    Back to Black
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Thanks to everyone for your input!
    For sale (Worldwide): Dark Aoud, Jazz Prestige, Ungaro I Edt + Aftershave, Versace L'Homme Vintage etc.

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I think YSL M7 & Chanel are dark, but DH or even DHI seem more creamy to me.
    And Encre Noir is not quite dark to my nose.
    A definite example of darkness is Jacomo de Jacomo or Versace Man or Zirh Ikon to me...

Banned

From your wardrobe, I would think a few reflect a somewhat mysterious hodgepodge with nuances bordering on the brooding, portentous, or dramatic:

Black Aoud by Montale
    Or Black by Pascal Morabito
    Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

Anything containing one or more of Aoud, Leather, or Patchouli tends to 'feel' dark to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    From your wardrobe, I would think a few reflect a somewhat mysterious hodgepodge with nuances bordering on the brooding, portentous, or dramatic:

Black Aoud by Montale
    Dollars&scents Makes a great point here by referencing something you can smell right now that we would consider dark. I agree about both Black Aoud and Dali. Encre Noire is a dark scent too. Dark is not citrus, not sweet, not fruity. Dark is typically musky, smokey, incense like, or earthy and dirty - and often it takes an "appreciation" to like them...sort of like developing a taste for a food you didnt like as a kid. Dark scents are (for me) usually ones that I have learned to like...but most people would consider them harsh, or gross perhaps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post

Black Aoud by Montale
    Dollars&scents Makes a great point here by referencing something you can smell right now that we would consider dark. I agree about both Black Aoud and Dali. Encre Noire is a dark scent too. Dark is not citrus, not sweet, not fruity. Dark is typically musky, smokey, incense like, or earthy and dirty - and often it takes an "appreciation" to like them...sort of like developing a taste for a food you didnt like as a kid. Dark scents are (for me) usually ones that I have learned to like...but most people would consider them harsh, or gross perhaps.

Encre Noire.
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

Or Black
    Rien
    Rose de Nuit

for swap/sale: