Code of Conduct

Angry Thats it... im burning all of my fragrances!

... thats right im sending all those little buggers to hell!!! But no seriously have you ever burned a fragrance? I've been eyeing those expensive Bond and By Killian candles for a while now, but 90 smackaroos for a candle just didn't sit right with me. So I took my old ceramic oil burner, you know those things that one would purchase from a rasta/hipster off the street or in the mall that use those little tea light candles... usually has a chinese symbol, or star, or some hippie foolishness on it, yea, yall get the picture... I had the bright idea to spray some A*men in there and she worked like a charm. I sprayed 5 sprays of juice and the alcohol in the fragrance cooked off rather quickly. I was left with this oil that was quite strong and mostly resembled the top notes. After about 5 mins I blew it out. The next day I burned off the rest of the goo and it was closer to the mid notes which is what I was after anyway. I thought the alcohol would make it burn hotter/quicker, but it actually worked just as I wanted it to. Just thought I would share my experience for all you guys who would like to scent your home with your favorite signature juice!!! I've tried it with a Noir de Noir sample, and I'll be trying Silver Factory next! Some may say they wouldn't want to waste good sprays like this but I say it's way better than shelling out the cost of a bottle on a candle.
    Last edited by theEastsidEbullEE; 19th October 2012 at 05:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thats it... im burning all of my fragrances!

I burn 10.99 Gold Canyon candles, smell good for rooms, last forever, are cheap and easy to switch scents for seasons, and are widely available.

Would never ever burn my scents...unless I need an impromptu flamethrower for the zombie apocalypse,

@run, I burn lots of different candles but this is more of an alternative to the bond candles... if you like bond scents that is

$90 for a candle?
    I can understand spending $150 on niche bottles (they will last you awhile). But $90 on something that will last less than 2 months? If even a month...

Quote Originally Posted by RunSun View Post
    Would never ever burn my scents.
    Same here.

There are many shops where you can buy essential oil in the style of popular fragrances (at least there were tons on Hollywood Blvd.). They are often very close to the original and I would think a few drops in an unscented candle or what have you would probably work great...and you wouldn't have to waste the real thing.

I dont get why you frag heads are acting like we don't have 15 bottles of juice that we're never going to finish lmao "i would never EVER utilize the sacred panty ravisher in such an unorthodox manner, THE GREAT GOD OLFACTYRUS WOULD NOT APPROVE OF THIS!!!" -_-

Post Thanks / Like

instead of burning Tom Ford Tuscan Leather & Oud Wood, i use the Surrati Tuskan Leather & Oud Wood oil on my incense burner instead
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, of you want to. Why not.

for swap/sale:

You could do your own candles with your fragrances and regular unscented wax, some will be weird but most keep the actual smell.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I heat up oils with tea lights for a few minutes... but alcohol-laden frags get sprayed upon curtains, linens, cloth shower curtains, etc. What's the reason for burning them as opposed to just letting them sit?
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Cire Trudon is a great candle line with some impressive fragrances. I wish their Ernesto (leather and tobacco) was a fragrance.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've used up some samples in my boyfriend's wax tart burner...once the fragrance burns out of a wax tart, I put some of the perfume in. Smells wonderful! I love the idea.

I'm one of those that probably would not waste good sprays of expensive fragrances that way, but it is interesting to note that it can be done.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is an excellent idea, but like what MikeJ said, it may waste your perfume. If you want your house to smell like Chanel or Mugler or whatever fragrance you want, then go ahead, but in moderation, of course!

I do this quite frequently with Bond fragrances. Since they're so high in oil, they work the best.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I've posted similar information before on another thread, but if you use a catalytic fragrance lamp (like Lampe Berger), you can use relatively small quantities of your favorite fragrance to scent your space for 2 hours at a time. The general rule of thumb is 20 sprays into 28ml of 91% isopropyl alcohol (MUST be 91% or higher) and use this as fuel in the catalytic fragrance lamp. Adjust strength up or down to your taste.

I have also used dupes of A*Men, Costes, Donna Karan Black Cashmere, and Molton Brown Black Pepper with good results to make catalytic lamp fuel. 1ml of oil per 120ml of 91% isopropyl is a good starting point.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colormechris View Post
    There are many shops where you can buy essential oil in the style of popular fragrances (at least there were tons on Hollywood Blvd.). They are often very close to the original and I would think a few drops in an unscented candle or what have you would probably work great...and you wouldn't have to waste the real thing.
    Just a quick clarification - those imitation scents are not made with essential oils - most will have no naturals in them at all. They are made with aroma chemicals, just like the fragrances they are imitating, but cheaper ones. They should work well on an oil burner though and I think it’s pretty good advice.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.