Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a recipe

Hello all this is my first post. I just found y'all tonight and I'm so excited. Ok bear with me a minute cuz I think I'm aiming high but... I was wondering if any here have tried to recreate Paris Yves Saint Laurent? I really love this perfume. I also love Romance, so if anybody has tried this one as well. Thank you.

Default Re: Looking for a recipe

Replicating a perfume is sometimes seen as pitiful. I understand why: the creation of the perfumer is the main reason people adore these men and women. So may I suggest to change your target: try to analyse what you like in Paris YSL and use that to make a perfume that you like even more.

It ís aiming high, because in order to do that you need to:
    - get familiar with the most common fragrance materials
    - learn to smell in an analytical way
    - learn how to mix

A 'recipe' (most perfumers prefer 'formulation') for Paris YSL you can make by yourself after learning the above, and when you do it right the result might be much more satisfactory than simply preparing a copy cat fragrance based on a formulation by someone else.

Comparing the fragrances you mention: I would focus on learning about formulating floral perfumes in a rose/violet direction. Thats what these two have in common.

Just to give you an idea of where you are going, here is a simple, published formula for a Violet accord, paraphrased from the book 'Cosmetics, Fragrances and Flavors' by Louis Appell:

25 Benzyl Alcohol
    15 Methyl Heptine Carbonate
    25 Ylang, extra

5 Anisaldehyde
    250 Ionone alpha
    70 Methyl ionone

25 Labdanum resinoid
    15 Heliotropine
    5 Musk Ambrette
    40 Musk Ketone
    525 DEP (diethyl phthalate) - this is just a solvent.

Total 1000

This will not give you a fragrance of anything like the sophistication of Paris, but it will smell of violets and gives an indication of what a formula looks like.

Notice that some of the products used in this formula, which was devised quite some years ago, are no-longer in use and would need to be substituted if you wanted to make something at home (you need a licence to buy heliotropin for example) or to sell (musk ambrette is banned in many countries and prohibited by IFRA).
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

If you love a certain fragrance then buy the fragrance. It will be the most cost effective way to enjoy your favourite. Formulating is for when you love fragrance in general and are inspired to create our own original one. As someone who is just setting up I can tell you that an initial outlay could cost hundreds just to get started. By the time you purchase a basic setup you could have bought both of your favourite perfumes. Thats not even taking into account the time investment of years learning to formulate a perfume that works. DIY fragrance isn't cheap and what you are paying for with commercial ones is the knowledge and experience of the person who made it, not just the ingredients.

Thank you thank you thank you thank youuuuuu, or maybe i should say y'all. I appreciate all who answered me. I guess I should have given more info. We home school and I have two daughters. We thought this might be a fun science experience. Maybe it would be best to try for something a little less evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmenoodlehead12x05 View Post
    We home school and I have two daughters. We thought this might be a fun science experience. Maybe it would be best to try for something a little less evolved.
    In this case you could try this kit:
    http://www.hometrainingtools.com/per.../p/KT-PERFUME/

They have more awesome science kits for kids
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations