Code of Conduct

Default New Lutens US site

i was just browning now smell this and robin posted a link to the new US Lutens site where you can now purchase bell jars. wow that exclusive barney's deal sure was short lived!

i think people will definitely still take issue with the bell jars being $300, but at 75ml it's really not much different than some of the pricier guerlains, and lutens is pure quality. anyway i just wanted to share the link as maybe itd help some folks here.

edit: i guess a link would help! http://us.sergelutens.com

Default Re: New Lutens US site

Will you have to pay sales tax on top of the $290????
    DONNA

Very interesting. I noticed the descriptions of the fragrances are much less abstract/pretentious on the US site. $290 is a lot for 75 ml, but I am tempted by Miel de Bois, which I have at times regretted not having. Maybe I'll also now finally be able to try the incense and lavender one.

Suzan Becker (shop france inc) can and still helps anyone out who wants a bell jar. i think the price is still about $230-250 with fees and shipping. im not sure if these new belljars on the lutens site ship from the states or from europe so i'm not sure which would be the quickest method, but you can definitely save a buck by going through suzan.

either way, i think the 'exclusivity' of the bell jars has passed. and those bell jars look cool but i do prefer atomizers. they really should just go to a uniform 50ml export bottle for all their fragrances at this point. i can get a 50ml chergui (crap new formulation) for 90$ with a 2-3min google search, or I can get 75ml for $300.

$90 for 50ml vs $300 for 75ml, think about it. that is a price discrepancy that seems a little embarrassing. a glass bell jar and 25ml extra juice isn't worth an additional $210.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Will you have to pay sales tax on top of the $290????
    No sales tax, I guess unless you live in the state it is shipping from, but there is $9.50 shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    but I do prefer atomizers.
    So do I - all the time.

Banned

Thanks for the heads up.

I wouldn't quite say the exclusivity of the bell jars is 'over', but I agree with lm6, in that no one is going to shell out $300 when they can get an export bottle for $90. However, some of the fragrances which haven't been released in the export bottles do still enjoy a certain degree of cachet. And I hope they keep it that way.

Some fragrances like Sarrasins, La Myrrhe, Iris Silver Mist et al should never be released in the export bottles if they want to justify the price and cachet. Keeping distribution to a minimum is the only way they can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by whimsicaldiva View Post
    I wouldn't quite say the exclusivity of the bell jars is 'over', but I agree with lm6, in that no one is going to shell out $300 when they can get an export bottle for $90. However, some of the fragrances which haven't been released in the export bottles do still enjoy a certain degree of cachet. And I hope they keep it that way.

Some fragrances like Sarrasins, La Myrrhe, Iris Silver Mist et al should never be released in the export bottles if they want to justify the price and cachet. Keeping distribution to a minimum is the only way they can do it.
    My, yes. We can't have the rabble smelling of Iris Silver Mist.

Here the bell jars are cheapers than the 50 ml, the sprayers make more profits to the company.

Their ephemeral collection seems to be in "le vaporisateur tout noir" line now.

The bell jars are linked and designed accordingly the interior of the salons shiseido and i think, for some reasons, it's fine in this format, i don't want to see all the line in sprayers !

Sorry, a bit off topic but how exactly do you use bell jars? Transfer the fragrance into something you can spray? Are they typical a better value?

Sorry, a bit off topic but how exactly do you use bell jars? Transfer the fragrance into something you can spray? Are they typical a better value?
    I transfer the juice with a pipette in a sprayer (usually a decant) if i want to dab i take the juice with a pipette or use a roll-on (to avoid contamination in the bottle!).

i wouldnt worry about contamination. lutens perfumes (and pretty much all alcohol based perfumes) are at least 80% alcohol, it will destroy anything that tries to mess with the juice! perfume oils are not so lucky

i wouldnt worry about contamination. lutens perfumes (and pretty much all alcohol based perfumes) are at least 80% alcohol, it will destroy anything that tries to mess with the juice! perfume oils are not so lucky
    For having some old bell jars in my hand, with time you can find something to eat in the fond of the bottle. Berk!
    For a simple hygienic sense, i prefer to limit the presence of cells debris and other crap, it's not the same enjoyment when it looks dirty and not a big pleasure to apply on the skin (imo)...
    Last edited by Mon-Petit; 21st October 2012 at 11:51 AM.