Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Histoire De Parfums...

Some of HdP offerings are quite nice. If you like Amber, you must give Ambre 114 a try - I think it is one of the top 5 amber fragrances I have ever tried.

1725, 1740, and 1828 are all nice also. Nothing that blew me away, but quite nice.

The Editions Rare collection from 2011 (Ambrarem, Petroleum, and Rosam) are all ghastly concoctions that make me (and those around me) nauesated after a short while. If you just like huffing bizarre things for the experience, you may find these interesting (they certainly are), but if you wear fragrances to smell "nice", these will not be what you are looking for.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Creed - Virgin Island Water
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Creed - Original Cologne
    10. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men

Banned

1740, has gorgeous dry down, i am huge fun of immortelle flower, its boozy winter time scent , but here its note is magnified by elemi, that take over big part of the composition, thtas why i could not be so enthusiastic about it because i dont like those artificial notes that much, they remind me of hairspray or chewing gums:-) not as smell but as artificial intensifiers of smell:-) but the dry down is my favourite!!!

1969 i liked from the start , it is sooo feminine, i would place it as choice for Visa lovers, its more gentle and subtle, and smells relaxed! Easy to love this one!

1876 i found most intriguing, its dark spicy rose, with my favourite mix of flowers and beautiful woody base, gorgeous

Moulin rouge is idea taken from chanel no 18! Just here its maybe more projective, did not try it on the skin yet.i love ambrette seed note! But this is not original:-)

Noire patchouli, oh i hate it:-) its raw masculine patch, exactly the one i don't like

I like the line as it seems to use high quality material and smells very natural! Great!

Ambre 114 and Ambrarem are both very nice.

My five favorites from Historie de Perfumes are listed below. I am very impressed their descriptions on the HdP website really describe the effect of the fragrance they ended up with. Also impressed with 1969 and 1828 Jules Verne, but I believe these two are more ordinary - still good though.

1) 1725 CASANOVA - a wonderful amber gourmand fragrance. Complicated but seamlessly crafted for incredible smoothness. A little like a pineapple upside-down cake in scent. It is up there with the best amber and gourmand fragrances from Serge Lutens and Parfumerie Generale who do the very best of this type of thing, imo. I don't normally like amber fragrances but this one is just too good to pass up.

2) NOIR PATCHOULI - I like the combination of rose, berries, and incense spices coupled with very dry patchouli. The base note stays nice and dry and doesn't go extremely sweet like so many patchouli fragrances do - it is a very dark almost gothic patchouli after the opening notes wear off in a couple hours.

3) 1740 MARQUIS DE SADE - A party fragrance with tons of development. It goes from a flowery incense (like Timbuktu) then turns gourmand and chocolate like, and eventually lands on a leather base that has some naughtiness to it. All this with patchouli woven throughout.

4) TUBEROSE #1 CAPRICIOUS - A throbbing, suggestive tuberose that rolls over a soft light leather base. The fragrance has the persona of a young Lauren Bacall w/ Bogart, or the young Kathleen Turner in "Body Heat". It is for either sex and smells like it is up for any sex at all.

5) TUBEROSE #3 ANIMALE - The sharp and warm notes (kumquat/neroli/prune) soften the tuberose while the blond woods and immortelle add a gruff tobacco finish.

Great descriptions, Buzzlepuff...thank you.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I like a bunch from this house, but my current favorites are 1969 and Ambre 114.

I don't know how you people memorize all those 4 digit numbers. The only one I can remember is 1969, but that's because I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_B. View Post
    I don't know how you people memorize all those 4 digit numbers. The only one I can remember is 1969, but that's because I was there.
    LOL! They also go by names of individuals but the years seem to trump the names when people talk about them.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

For me, it's just that the names have no relation with the perfume, so I never bothered to learn which historical figure is associated with what. The year is then easier to remember (true, 1969 especially so, in my case).

cacio