Code of Conduct

Default Histoire De Parfums...

Although the reviews seem to suggest this is a highly regarded house, there does not seem to be much discussion about them. The highest number of reviews is 27 for 1740 I believe. I just finished sampling 1725 Casanova 1740 Marquis De Sade and 1828 Jules Verne. I was very impressed. This was my first exposure to them. I found the ingredients to be top of the line...like walking through a botanical garden...where you can pick out the individual flowers or notes but everything blends together so well. It was also recommended to me that I try Ambre 114 and Noir Patchouli..which I certainly look forward to doing. I was also curious if anyone else likes this house. With certain colognes or perfumes the "it" factor for me is a certain richness or fullness...I feel this house with the samples I have tried accomplishes this. Combined with the fullness there is a complexity I admire. There never seem to be any splits for these fragrances. The prices are expensive..$125 for 60 ml $205 for 100 ml. but no more so than some others. Seems like a good way to get a healthy decant of this in your collection would be a split...or does everyone but me own these already? I will try Ambre 114 and Noir Patchouli decide between two or so and try and go about securing some nice decants. Opinions about this house welcome.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Default Re: Histoire De Parfums...

The line has an extremely high standard. I love/like/respect basically everything they delivered so far (with just a very few exceptions made for Blanc Violette and 1804)...

My favorites are 1740, 1969, Noir Patchouli, Ambre 114 and Petroleum but, lately, I'm also growing extremely fond of both 1873 and 1876.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

I have Ambre 114, 1725 and 1740.

Ambre 114 is worth the try. Never had the opportunity to try Noir Patchouli.

By far, my favorite that I own is Ambre 114

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    The line has an extremely high standard. I love/like/respect basically everything they delivered so far (with just a very few exceptions made for Blanc Violette and 1804)...

My favorites are 1740, 1969, Noir Patchouli, Ambre 114 and Petroleum but, lately, I'm also growing extremely fond of both 1873 and 1876.
    Have you tried the new Olympia Music Hall?

1725 is a good cheaper option for invasion barbare if you like that scent but do not want to waste cash. 1740 is good and has that old world vibe to its nature and Ambre 114 is a wonderful scent. All in all a very good house and it's worth getting samples from them direct as you can get the cost of the samples off a full bottle purchase.

I own all the men's and shared offerings and they are quite good IMO.

HdP is one of those houses where I can appreciate the quality and the uniqueness of the perfumes, but I don't actually like them that much, or at least enough to wear them. 1740 is great but the immortelle in it kills me. I do like Ambre 114 and Noir Patchouli, and may dig up my samples and give them another go.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Have you tried the new Olympia Music Hall?
    Yes. It's good if you like watery-woody roses. It's not my ballpark but it's very respectable.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

They sure have some great offerings, my favorites are 1740 and 1725.

Banned

Noir Patchouli and Ambre 114 are, indeed, worth sampling.

Sound Scents

I have had mixed results with the house, but when they are "on" as with their best offerings (IMO) of Ambre 114 and Pétroleum, they are truly excellent.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Ever since I read a comment about Monica Belucci liking the 1740 on a basenoter here @ female compliments thread I have wanted to sample it Hopefully a split comes up in the near future.

Love Ambre 114 (used to own it) and Noir Patchouli. Like 1725, 1828 and 1740. I occasionaly steal a spritz of 1969 from my girlfriend's bottle. Great quality ingredients and blending in my opinion. They used to do a set of 6 x 14ml travel bottles for a reasonable price, but I'm not sure if they still do.
    Last edited by morrison74; 21st October 2012 at 03:05 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I would jump all over the travel set if I could find it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

If you are ever in NYC, Henri Bendel is the main HdP store in the US, and carries the whole line (including the scents of departure). I think they may have the travel sets as well. If you call the SA, they do ship.

cacio

Good info...thank you...I think I will give them a call .

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    If you are ever in NYC, Henri Bendel is the main HdP store in the US, and carries the whole line (including the scents of departure). I think they may have the travel sets as well. If you call the SA, they do ship.

cacio

When I went to Henri Bendel a month ago, I talked to a Sergio, and the number he gave me was 212-904-7990, but he's upstairs at the main perfume counter. The main HdP counter is downstairs.

cacio

Thanks again. I looked up what they said was the flagship store in NYC and the number was 212-247-1100...I will try both. I know I want the 1740...I also liked the 1725. I have not tried the Ambre 114 or the Patchouli Noir so if I go with one of them in the travel set that would be a very rare blind buy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    When I went to Henri Bendel a month ago, I talked to a Sergio, and the number he gave me was 212-904-7990, but he's upstairs at the main perfume counter. The main HdP counter is downstairs.

cacio

Blog Entries

I've only tried HdP at Aedes de Venustas in New York, and I liked quite a few of them. 1725 is probably the one I'm going to purchase first if money isn't an issue.

As others have said, Ambre and Patch are very good, and very safe as long as you like said materials. When I got my set, I got 1876, which is a nice woody rose. I also purchased a bottle of 1969, a gourmand. But I was born in that year, so it resonated with me. It is certainly not safe. Nor are the editions rare; Petroleum is a love/hate thing - very striking, perhaps unwearable, but definitely not a blind buy. I actually ended up buying Rosam, a metallic rose-oud. I am also drawn to the Tubereuse series, especially the sweetish, decaying Animale. But all of this is, as said, very unsafe and not a blind buy.

cacio

I love to wear 1740, 1725 and Noir Patchouli.
    I also own Tubereuse 3 Animale and Petroleum, which are great frags but a bit difficult to wear - the tuberose is incredible strong and the oud a bit on the animalic side.

I have some 1969 but I have trouble with it, as I did with 1740. Jules Verne on the other hand is on my to-buy list.

- - - Updated - - -

I have some 1969 but I have trouble with it, as I did with 1740. Jules Verne on the other hand is on my to-buy list.

The entire line ranges from good to great IMO. Gérald Ghislain is a very accomplished nose. Very creative, and uses high quality materials. One fun thing, you can 14ml bottles for $36.00 at theperfumeshoppe in Canada (link provided below) get several of those and have some fun.

My personal favorites are:
    I'll just throw in these words from Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez - since I agree

1740 (Histoires de Parfums) ★★★★★
    leather immortelle $$$
    Familiarity with too many trivial
    perfumes can at length turn
    one into a libertine of smell,
    cynical, unmoved, cruelly
    practical. But every old
    roué hides at his core an
    unblemished memory of
    the boy he once was,
    ready to fall for the first
    creature whose intelligence
    revives his freezedried
    heart. I felt something
    give way when I
    smelled 1740: the shimmering classical
    accord of leather, immortelle, spice, rich pipe
    tobacco and a sort of lived-in buttery warmth is
    simply irresistible. And why resist? LT

1725 (Histoires de Parfums) ★★★★
    anisic lavender $$$
    Anisic notes are hard to handle in perfumery:
    they are sweetly happy on their own (few things
    smell better than star anise in a bag) but usually
    stand out in ensemble playing as a pan flute would
    in a string quartet. This clever fragrance associates
    two such, licorice and star anise, to a lavendercitrus
    structure and somehow clips the whole
    thing together with a touch of heliotropin and
    cedarwood. Top and heart are wonderfully melodious,
    the drydown comes close enough to
    L’Heure Bleue to feel its gravitational pull, and
    then escapes again. Very good. LT

1826 (Histoires de Parfums) ★★★★
    woody musk $$$
    In simple, familiar things, detail and quality of
    materials are all. It’s true that 1826 is a very gentle,
    old-fashioned floral musk. But it’s far from a
    crude accord: this is a white-on-white construction
    of tints and textures, from a sheer celadonshaded
    top note as crisp as iced gin to a serene
    dove-gray middle section of creamy musks, incense
    and anise. Strangely radiant, it seems
    stronger at arm’s length and seems to vanish up
    close. Several hours later, a sleek, impeccable
    patchouli-labdanum drydown in the classical style
    sneaks in. TS

1969 (Histoires de Parfums) ★★★★ rose peach $$$
    Contains one of the most magnificent top notes of
    all time, a golden late summer landscape of every
    joyful childhood, with a sky painted in huge vanilla
    and rose slashes in the manner of Tocade
    above shadowed woods of fruit and cedar as in
    Féminité du Bois. In a spirit similar to Chamade,
    1969 dawdles happily for some time in a midregion
    of roses, fruits, and amber that feels so
    perfect you fear it can’t go on, but unlike the spectacular
    Chamade it doesn’t; the Chinatown-type
    drydown is still lovely to wear but nowhere near
    as grand. You’ll want to keep spraying it on paper
    to play the first part again. TS
    1873 (Histoires de Parfums) ★★★★
    grapefruit floral $$$
    Guerlain’s Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune is probably
    the most successful fragrance ever built around
    the deeply sulfurous, bitter note of grapefruit peel,
    but 1873 runs a close second. It nicks from AAP
    the trick of giving the accord needed depth and
    persistence with sweet floral and vanilla notes;
    ultimately the basic structure is a beautiful
    orange-blossom oriental that shares something
    with L’Heure Bleue. Excellent, clever work. TS

1876 (Histoires de Parfums) ★★★★
    masculine rose $$$
    Unquestionably, and by a huge margin, the best
    Victorian dandy fragrance around: citrus, rose,
    benzoin, spices and animalic notes, all of excellent
    quality, soft, restful, discreet, sweetly melancholy.
    What Floris and Penhaligon’s should have been
    doing all along, had they the good fortune of an
    art director as imaginative and skilled as Gérard
    Ghislain. LT

Amber 411 (Histoires de Parfums) ★★★★
    benzoin rose $$$
    A beautiful, durable amber accord built of benzoin,
    patchouli, vetiver and rose. Its transparent
    smoky sweetness feels weightless, as if hollowed
    out in the middle to make it float. TS

http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/Hist...rfums-s/71.htm
    Last edited by thebeck; 21st October 2012 at 09:21 PM.

I really want to try Ambre 114.

My favourite is 1725 Casanova, then it's Edition Rare Rosam, 1969 Parfum de Revolte, 1889 Moulin Rouge and L'Olympia Music-Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Those two, plus Vert Pivoine are really nothing special. I was so inconsiderate to buy a three vial coffret with 1804, Vert Pivoine and Ambre 114- and got some Blanc Violette complimentary roll ons- in my early and innocent days of perfume loving... With the exception of Ambre, I had to give the others away very quickly.
    I haven't given much more attention to the house, since.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Histoires de Parfums happens to be one of my favorite houses with some solid offerings and interesting concepts which are generally well executed. It doesn't have as much fanboy appeal as Creeds or Muglers & that's probably why it doesn't get hyped up.

My top picks:
    Noir Patchouli

Other favorites:
    Ambre 114
    Tubereuse Capriceuse
    Tubereuse Animale
    Moulin Rouge
    Vert Pivoine

I used to enjoy 1740 but my nose grew sensitive to the immortelle... And I can't believe I have yet to sample the Rares.

While Bendel's did not have the travel sets anymore they were happy to make up 14 ml decants for me. I choose 1740, 1725, Ambre 114 and Noir Patchouli. I will give them all consideration and one of them will go on my Christmas list for a full bottle. Of the three I have tried so far I have really enjoyed all of them.

This house offers very consistent fragrances: rich, elegant, good smelling, high quality... I have my favourites, but the entire line is worth considering.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    While Bendel's did not have the travel sets anymore they were happy to make up 14 ml decants for me. I choose 1740, 1725, Ambre 114 and Noir Patchouli. I will give them all consideration and one of them will go on my Christmas list for a full bottle. Of the three I have tried so far I have really enjoyed all of them.
    Good choices! How much did they charge you for the 14ml decants?
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

1740 is, by a country mile, the very best fragrance I've ever smelled in the 30-plus years I've taken an interest in scents. All my favourites in one place - Immortelle, Patchouli and Leather wrapped in boozy spices.

1969 is a good one. Smells like Rhubarb to me ... in a good way.

114 Ambre is right up there with the best of the best ambers, but I'd still take CK Obsession For Men.

The others were a bit 'meh'.

Some of HdP offerings are quite nice. If you like Amber, you must give Ambre 114 a try - I think it is one of the top 5 amber fragrances I have ever tried.

1725, 1740, and 1828 are all nice also. Nothing that blew me away, but quite nice.

The Editions Rare collection from 2011 (Ambrarem, Petroleum, and Rosam) are all ghastly concoctions that make me (and those around me) nauesated after a short while. If you just like huffing bizarre things for the experience, you may find these interesting (they certainly are), but if you wear fragrances to smell "nice", these will not be what you are looking for.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Banned

1740, has gorgeous dry down, i am huge fun of immortelle flower, its boozy winter time scent , but here its note is magnified by elemi, that take over big part of the composition, thtas why i could not be so enthusiastic about it because i dont like those artificial notes that much, they remind me of hairspray or chewing gums:-) not as smell but as artificial intensifiers of smell:-) but the dry down is my favourite!!!

1969 i liked from the start , it is sooo feminine, i would place it as choice for Visa lovers, its more gentle and subtle, and smells relaxed! Easy to love this one!

1876 i found most intriguing, its dark spicy rose, with my favourite mix of flowers and beautiful woody base, gorgeous

Moulin rouge is idea taken from chanel no 18! Just here its maybe more projective, did not try it on the skin yet.i love ambrette seed note! But this is not original:-)

Noire patchouli, oh i hate it:-) its raw masculine patch, exactly the one i don't like

I like the line as it seems to use high quality material and smells very natural! Great!

Ambre 114 and Ambrarem are both very nice.

My five favorites from Historie de Perfumes are listed below. I am very impressed their descriptions on the HdP website really describe the effect of the fragrance they ended up with. Also impressed with 1969 and 1828 Jules Verne, but I believe these two are more ordinary - still good though.

1) 1725 CASANOVA - a wonderful amber gourmand fragrance. Complicated but seamlessly crafted for incredible smoothness. A little like a pineapple upside-down cake in scent. It is up there with the best amber and gourmand fragrances from Serge Lutens and Parfumerie Generale who do the very best of this type of thing, imo. I don't normally like amber fragrances but this one is just too good to pass up.

2) NOIR PATCHOULI - I like the combination of rose, berries, and incense spices coupled with very dry patchouli. The base note stays nice and dry and doesn't go extremely sweet like so many patchouli fragrances do - it is a very dark almost gothic patchouli after the opening notes wear off in a couple hours.

3) 1740 MARQUIS DE SADE - A party fragrance with tons of development. It goes from a flowery incense (like Timbuktu) then turns gourmand and chocolate like, and eventually lands on a leather base that has some naughtiness to it. All this with patchouli woven throughout.

4) TUBEROSE #1 CAPRICIOUS - A throbbing, suggestive tuberose that rolls over a soft light leather base. The fragrance has the persona of a young Lauren Bacall w/ Bogart, or the young Kathleen Turner in "Body Heat". It is for either sex and smells like it is up for any sex at all.

5) TUBEROSE #3 ANIMALE - The sharp and warm notes (kumquat/neroli/prune) soften the tuberose while the blond woods and immortelle add a gruff tobacco finish.

Great descriptions, Buzzlepuff...thank you.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I like a bunch from this house, but my current favorites are 1969 and Ambre 114.