Code of Conduct

Default New fragrance from Andy Tauer: Lys de Desert

Andy Tauer has launched Lys de Desert an exclusive to Luckyscent to be sold under the brand name Decennial .

From the description:
    The perfume idea for Lys du Desert, created exclusively for Luckyscent, came to Andy when he first visited Joshua Tree and the Desert Lily was in full bloom in the Pinto Basin. Its white lily scent was intoxicating, with hints of green freshness that reminded him of the oasis at Cottonwood Springs, a site with lush green vegetation at the north entryway to Joshua Tree.

In its opening, a hot desert wind sweeps through Lys du Desert, carrying with it an oasis of green freshness. But freshness is only hinted at. Bone-dry ambery woods, reinforced by powdery iris root, envelop these notes, suggesting the magical combination of flowers and desert. The dry woody amber that leads the fragrance reminds you where the desert lily blooms: In the desert, with Creosote bushes and isolated pines in the wonderland of rocks further up the hills. As it dries down, Lys du Desert becomes an interplay between sweet florals, warm amber, and dry woods. Remarkable and stunning.

Lys de Desert notes
    Bergamot, rose, green lily, dry cistrose, iris root, ambergris, dry cedar
    Last edited by furrypine; 21st October 2012 at 01:02 PM.

Default Re: New fragrance from Andy Tauer: Lys de Desert

craving...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I would be seriously interested in trying this one!

jeez....lucky scent thinks very highly of their perfume. A bit pricey for the people who take my money every week. They should give me a damn bottle. I'll def sample though

Blog Entries

Definitely a must-try, thanks furrypine!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

treeman5823

You know what? I saw and even sniffed this bottle at the Scent Bar without even knowing what it really was. --Huge face palm-- Any way, it smelled interesting from my brief--much too brief--visit with it, and will come back to SB soon to smell it again.

Craving also - so tempted by a blind buy!!! Shall I shalln't I shall I shalln't I....

Also the description of Nuit Epicee sounds incredible!!!

The Scoop
    From its beginnings, Nuit Épicée plunges its wearer into a dark forest of velvety, oud-like woods and spice, subtly sweetened with praline and almond and warmed with an ambery-vanillic base. It starts at night, the witching hour, and stays there.

Nuit Épicée’s beginning is sharp, with a tart rhubarb note that slices through the richness to come. But darkness falls fast, and this gourmand scent with a noir twist soon provides the scent equivalent of the creamy mouthfeel that comes from biting into the finest artisanal dark chocolate flavored with an exotic cumin note.

As it dries down, the voluptuous mix of elegant woods and rich, spicy balsamic notes creates a heady and erotic scent that will go fabulously with black tie – or nothing at all

:O Holy sh*t!

- - - Updated - - -

Just ordered overpriced samples of both! YAY!

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    You know what? I saw and even sniffed this bottle at the Scent Bar without even knowing what it really was. --Huge face palm-- Any way, it smelled interesting from my brief--much too brief--visit with it, and will come back to SB soon to smell it again.
    I would love to shop at the Scent Bar. Sure would be nice to sit at a bar have some drinks and smell perfume. I would be in there every payday. Did you get to meet andy tauer? I think he was there last week for the Loretta launch.

I suspect that Luckyscent could have gone to any number of large outfits to come up with a scent for them.

The fact that they went to a niche guy like Andy instead is pretty notable I think.

A trend ?

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    I would love to shop at the Scent Bar. Sure would be nice to sit at a bar have some drinks and smell perfume. I would be in there every payday. Did you get to meet andy tauer? I think he was there last week for the Loretta launch.
    Yes, I met Mr. Tauer at the launch. He was very kind, humble, and personable, just as I imagined him to be.

Sounds great will have to check this out at some point.

Dependent

Had a classic feel to it with the iris and amber.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Had a classic feel to it with the iris and amber.
    is that all? is it not the most amazing new thing ever?

:') darn

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    is that all? is it not the most amazing new thing ever?
    I have a lot of respect for Andy's artistry and technique, but he tends not to produce anything in my narrow taste-range of stuff I will actually wear.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    I suspect that Luckyscent could have gone to any number of large outfits to come up with a scent for them.

The fact that they went to a niche guy like Andy instead is pretty notable I think.

A trend ?
    If you notice, pretty much all they sell is niche, so it really should come as no surprise.

What does strike me, Tauer is the only one that is a different perfumer than the others.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Andy Tauer has already stated that he will be raising the price of his fragrance line next year. So I suggest every one who enjoys the Tauer fragrances stock up now. Mr. Tauer mentioned this on a video on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Andy Tauer has already stated that he will be raising the price of his fragrance line next year. So I suggest every one who enjoys the Tauer fragrances stock up now. Mr. Tauer mentioned this on a video on Youtube.

Oh man, they're already so overpriced in the uk, well over rrp like on his site.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Which video? Was it the one with Al?

Ordered a bunch of Lucky Scent samples a couple days ago. After the unpleasant smack that was Loretta, this was a wonderful surprise.

I love it. It has, as someone pointed out above, a very classic feel. Great "lift," as I like to call it. Reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on. L'Air du Temps maybe? A marvelous weaving of sweet/green florals and amber/woods. Just my thing. If I were buying full bottles at this time, definitely worthy of the cash outlay.

Thanks for the heads up on the prices. I buy straight from him when I buy tauer. It's cheaper and he sends 2 ml signed samples which is cool. His discovery set for 30 bucks shipped is a great deal too!

treeman5823

Has anyone invested real time with Lys yet?

YEP! Got my sample today so no full review yet but I will post one over the next few days. Just put a bit on my hand now...

No lily when it first goes on - instead someone could hold this to my nose and tell me it's Orange Star and I'd nod along and agree.
    It's a mashup between the tart orange marmalade of Orange Star, a hint of the rose from Incense Rose - and a strong Tauerade base of L'Air Du Desert Marocain.
    The main floral is iris - but it's only subtle, the lily is a mere backing, and a similar green lily as in Carillon Pour Un Ange.
    If you like Tauer's work - it's impossible not to like, but in all honesty - it smells like it was a formula for a previous fragrance which he improved on and then released, I'm not too sure whether I can believe this was made from scratch for this line (and I'm a hugeeeeeeee Tauer fan)... it's very very nice, but nothing new. Another reason I think this is because it becomes very translucent and light after ten minutes or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I also got a sample of Nuit Epicee by Decennial but a different perfumer:

Kind of smelt this type of thing before but it's still good.
    I get a bone dry cedar and maybe a hint of sandalwood up top, slightly smoky, with a fruity tobacco note in there and a breathy amber.
    I can't say I get all the almond and praline and cumin and rhubarb as promised But this is a first sampling. I get a hint of violet and incense... but all in all - it's like a very toned down Dark Aoud by Montale with some added sweetness. Nice enough.
    Last edited by forfreddie; 31st October 2012 at 07:10 PM.

Got a sample of this the other day. Slightly floral and at longevity is pretty good! Could be unisex IMO.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Judging by the notes, I think this will be uber-niche, meaning its artistic acheivment will be greater than its utility

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    If you like Tauer's work - it's impossible not to like, but in all honesty - it smells like it was a formula for a previous fragrance which he improved on and then released, I'm not too sure whether I can believe this was made from scratch for this line (and I'm a hugeeeeeeee Tauer fan)... it's very very nice, but nothing new.
    I agree, this is a nice one if you happen to like his style. He stayed in his comfort zone and made something the fans will recognise and appreciate. No pushing of envelopes happening here!

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Judging by the notes, I think this will be uber-niche, meaning its artistic acheivment will be greater than its utility
    Huh? Are we reading the same notes? Bergamot, rose, green lily, dry cistrose, iris root, ambergris, dry cedar. That sounds like it could be quite easy to wear - even more so than L'ADDM.

God, I wish I could walk into a local shop and try this! Then again, I should consider myself lucky to have a local shop that sells Tauer's line. I need to try more of it. I own L'ADDM and I need to try Lonestar Memories again. Man, that one knocked me out on first whiff, but there's something about it that I adore.

Tangent: is there a BN approved abbreviation for L'Air du Desert Marocain?

Oh, Mr. Tauer, how I admire your work.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 14th January 2013 at 06:43 AM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Sound Scents

The *notes* are just fine, the *scent* was not.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

While I honestly did not find the opening to be very special, I ended up liking it a lot, particularly during the drydown. I think it is something more versatile and suitable for daily wear than some of his other creations. Though I am not tempted to rush out and buy a bottle, I wouldn't rule it out. I think I would probably wear it frequently if I did own it.

It is a very good one for younger women, IMO. More wearable and a bit less artsy then other Tauer-stuff. Clearly reminiscent of LDDM but lighter and better.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 11th March 2013 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    The *notes* are just fine, the *scent* was not.
    Agree.