Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bois d’Ascese Eau de Parfum by Naomi Goodsir

Stopped into Scent Bar yesterday for some Idole de Lubin.

Manager was touting a new one they just got in... Bois d’Ascese Eau de Parfum by Naomi Goodsir. WoW...this was intense and interesting. Can't figure if it's right for me yet. Dark, heavy, smokey, smokey opening. Campfire.

Wishing right now I would have gotten a sample. Still kind of bouncing around in my head.

Opening notes kind of put me off, but now curious about the drydown. The notes look very seductive. Has anyone tried this yet?

Bois d’Ascese Notes
    tobacco, whiskey, cinnamon, amber, cistus labdanum, oakmoss, smoked cade wood, Somalian incense

Sound Scents

Default Re: Bois d’Ascese Eau de Parfum by Naomi Goodsir

Haven't tried it nor even heard of it, but just checked it out on the LuckyScent web site and it sounds delicious. I'll have to sample it the next time I order... Thanks for the heads' up!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Sounds interesting.

Dependent

Tried it as well. I had the same impression. I'm not that much of a fan of smoky frags. I didn't get a lick of amber -- it was very dry. Certainly not like much else out there.

Thanks for the info. I've been wanting to sample since I read this about them from The Sorcery of Scent.

http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...of-hat-to.html

Just tried, and I have to admit it's a GREAT scent. How can I describe it? It seems to stay in an old church, full with candles, when the incenses start burning. Old woods, plus incenses, plus smoke. Heartily recommended.

This was her stall at Fragranze 2012...pretty eccentric

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dependent

Wow what an awesome display, thanks AR!

I tried this yesterday, and I also loved it--but it is expensive and not so versatile, so I didn't spring for it. However I did wear it and it dries down to something reminiscent of Gucci pour homme I, in a good way. Longevity was great. I didn't have gphI so I am only going from olfactive memory, but the resemblance only showed up at the 8+ hour mark.

Wearing a sample of this today. Incense can be a funny note. You either just get a whiff, or it knocks you down. Bois d'Ascese is so well balanced, you get just the right amount of everything. Top honors from a new company that seems to understand fragrance structure. I can tell you after one wearing, I will be buying a bottle. Just perfect for the colder months ahead. I'll have more to say later.

this gets my nod for best release of 2012. bois d'ascèse is wonderful. ill give it a couple more wearings but right now im set on this being my fb purchase for the season. its like the inside of a spicy leather jacket worn by a chainsmoking traveler. as someone said, this is not the most versatile scent. it's not a perfume with leather hints, it is a very literal interpretation and certainly wont be for everyone, especially since its a heavy leather and not one of these modernized car interior leather aroma chemical smells like tuscan leather or cuir d'arabie.

my only slight disappointment is when i did an image search and saw this

i hope someone can confirm or disconfirm but that really tall cap looks suspiciously like its housing one of those crappy atomizers you get from decant suppliers, like what tonka imperiale and all those nice guerlains use. i know its a personal qualm but i find them to be such crappy mechanisms. but it will not dissuade me from this, the scent itself is a must try for anyone who appreciates a heavy leather fragrance. the longer it wears on the skin the better it becomes.

sadly, cuir velour from noami goodsir is kind of a stinker to me. it reminds me of some weird dentist gel or something oddly medicinal.

Basenotes Plus

Luckyscent either didn't order enough, or it sold through really well. Already on backorder.

I ordered samples of both of those fragrances a few days ago -- I was curious about them when I ordered them... Now I am very excited to try them (well, as excited as I can get over fragrance). I hope to get them next week!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

already on backorder

Kicking myself I didn't order some samples or FB earlier.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

yep i noticed the backorder too. i feel like at least this gives me a chance to really make sure i want a bottle.. i used quite a bit from my sample vial for this first testing but hopefully i can stretch the rest out.

im not surprised the cuir velour is still in stock though, i fought every minute not to scrub it. its like band-aids and pina colada, no joke!

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    this gets my nod for best release of 2012. bois d'ascèse is wonderful. ill give it a couple more wearings but right now im set on this being my fb purchase for the season. its like the inside of a spicy leather jacket worn by a chainsmoking traveler. as someone said, this is not the most versatile scent. it's not a perfume with leather hints, it is a very literal interpretation and certainly wont be for everyone, especially since its a heavy leather and not one of these modernized car interior leather aroma chemical smells like tuscan leather or cuir d'arabie.

my only slight disappointment is when i did an image search and saw this

i hope someone can confirm or disconfirm but that really tall cap looks suspiciously like its housing one of those crappy atomizers you get from decant suppliers, like what tonka imperiale and all those nice guerlains use. i know its a personal qualm but i find them to be such crappy mechanisms. but it will not dissuade me from this, the scent itself is a must try for anyone who appreciates a heavy leather fragrance. the longer it wears on the skin the better it becomes.

sadly, cuir velour from noami goodsir is kind of a stinker to me. it reminds me of some weird dentist gel or something oddly medicinal.

From the bottle design, shape and labeling .... it remind me of Serge Lutens
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

lol i was just thinking that, the label especially. even has her initials as the logo in the bottom center. oh well. the greatness of the scent makes me overlook such... borrowed inspirations :P

I'm back with a few more thoughts after wearing Bois d’Ascese three consecutive days. I'm just as excited I was after the first whiff. This is a manly rugged masculine with refinement. If you enjoy the likes of "M", Invasion Barbare, Leather Oud, Xerjoff Homme, I think Bois d’Ascese would be for you, I know it's for me. This will become an instant cult favorite among perfumistas.
    I'm not going to get into all of the superlatives here, just sample and see for yourself if you can resist not buying a bottle.

I would like to mention the $150.00 price tag is a steal, considering its pedigree is in the same league as Amouage, By Kilian, MDCI, Xerjoff and other over $200.00 offerings.

How about the other release Cuir Velours? IMO it's as good as Bois d’Ascese. My first whiff of of CV made me say to myself - How appropiately named - CV actually reminded me of my youth when I wore velour pull overs to school. CV is a snuggly, cozy, almost gourmand fragrance. CV is as well balanced as Bois d’Ascese. No notes ever overpowering the others. The notes interweave in and out, creating an intoxicating scent that makes you keep pulling your wrist to your nose for more.Very unisex, works for any one.

I love it when a company comes out of no where, and makes a statement with two home runs. Be prepared for backorders. A small company like this wasn't prepared for instant stardom.
    Last edited by thebeck; 28th October 2012 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'm back with a few more thoughts after wearing Bois d’Ascese three consecutive days. I'm just as excited I was after the first whiff. This is a manly rugged masculine with refinement. If you enjoy the likes of "M", Invasion Barbare, Leather Oud, Xerjoff Homme, I think Bois d’Ascese would be for you, I know it's for me. This will become an instant cult favorite among perfumistas.
    I'm not going to get into all of the superlatives here, just sample and see for yourself if you can resist not buying a bottle.

I would like to mention the $150.00 price tag is a steal, considering its pedigree is in the same league as Amouage, By Kilian, MDCI, Xerjoff and other over $200.00 offerings.

How about the other release Cuir Velours? IMO it's as good as Bois d’Ascese. My first whiff of of CV made me say to myself - How appropiately named - CV actually reminded me of my youth when I wore velour pull overs to school. CV is a snuggly, cozy, almost gourmand fragrance. CV is as well balanced as Bois d’Ascese. No notes ever overpowering the others. The notes interweave in and out, creating an intoxicating scent that makes you keep pulling your wrist to your nose for more.Very unisex, works for any one.

I love it when a company comes out of no where, and makes a statement with two home runs. Be prepared for backorders. A small company like this wasn't prepared for instant stardom.
    if the beck says so, it must be so!

thebeck: im glad you mentioned "m" because for some odd reason that was one of the initial things i compared it to in my head, that and maybe something like clive christian c for men. it definitely seems like the kind of scent worn by the same type who would wear "m", if not ever so slightly more daring.

its been about 19 hours since i applied it and the spot where i sprayed it still smells of bois d'ascese. whatever qualms one may find themselves presented with this particular fragrance, longevity certainly won't be one of them.

Sound Scents

Blast you all for getting me so excited about trying this one. ;-)

I just did something I really shouldn't have, putting in an order for a bottle completely blind once the Lucky Scent 7-day back order clears. It *does* sound at least on paper (and from all of your descriptions) like it should be very much up my alley, so I am not too worried.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Both of the releases from this house earn top honors from me. They both get it exactly right...and they came out of the blue. Simply amazing. Just when you thought there were no surprises...

Regards,
    Steve

Basenotes Plus

Received my samples of both Bois d' Ascese and Cuir Velours.

Put a dab of each on each hand. The Bois d' Ascese goes on really nice, but will have a better idea when I give it a full wearing.

Cuir Velours is something else, without doing a full wearing, I can tell this one is a very special fragrance.

To quote thebeck:
    CV is a snuggly, cozy, almost gourmand fragrance. No notes ever overpowering the others. The notes interweave in and out, creating an intoxicating scent that makes you keep pulling your wrist to your nose for more.Very unisex, works for any one.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, giving my Luckyscent sample a full wearing today.

I can say after 4 hours, I Am A Believer!

Bois d’Ascese is definitely full bottle worthy.
    Last edited by PalmBeach; 6th November 2012 at 02:15 PM.

I caved and got a full bottle of this even though I was concerned about versatility. In the end, it doesn't matter; it is truly an amazing fragrance and smells wonderful. So nice!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    I caved and got a full bottle of this even though I was concerned about versatility. In the end, it doesn't matter; it is truly an amazing fragrance and smells wonderful. So nice!
    It is a great fragrance, and find that it will be extremely versatile. Although it has both Tobacco and Incense, they are not in your face, but very smooth. Looking forward to my bottle arriving next week.

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    this gets my nod for best release of 2012. bois d'ascèse is wonderful.
    Great news, my samples of her two scents are on the way

These look interesting, I've got samples of both in cue along with Frapin Speakeasy.

My samples should be home with daddy any day now!

I think Cuir Velours is very well done. It is a very easy to wear leathery fragrance.

Bois d'Ascese, on the other hand, smells like a full ashtray in my opinion. It is a step above Annick Goutal and Andy Tauer's cigarette-filled ashtray offerings, but miles behind many other incense fragrances. I will pass on that one for sure.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I think Cuir Velours is very well done. It is a very easy to wear leathery fragrance.

Bois d'Ascese, on the other hand, smells like a full ashtray in my opinion. It is a step above Annick Goutal and Andy Tauer's cigarette-filled ashtray offerings, but miles behind many other incense fragrances. I will pass on that one for sure.
    My blind buy bottle of Bois d'Ascèse arrived today and wearing it as my SotE, to me it is less ashtray and more smoldering wood on the fireplace. Not the most versatile of scents, but very authentic. I definitely like it.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Got my samples yesterday. Does Bois d'Ascese remind anyone else of Mona di Orio's Cuir? Not quite as smoky as Cuir but somewhat similar.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Millesime Imperial, Carolina Herrera Chic for Men, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDP, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga View Post
    Got my samples yesterday. Does Bois d'Ascese remind anyone else of Mona di Orio's Cuir? Not quite as smoky as Cuir but somewhat similar.
    I can see the comparison. That said, while I found Cuir to be really harsh, ash-like and difficult to enjoy; I feel Bois d'Ascese is a more refined (albeit certainly not sanitized) burning fire wood-like composition that is much more enjoyable to wear.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I can see the comparison. That said, while I found Cuir to be really harsh, ash-like and difficult to enjoy; I feel Bois d'Ascese is a more refined (albeit certainly not sanitized) burning fire wood-like composition that is much more enjoyable to wear.
    Drseid, you are reading my mind. My first thought when I sampled Bois d'Ascese was "this is a wearable version of MdO Cuir!".
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Millesime Imperial, Carolina Herrera Chic for Men, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDP, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

For those of us in Europe some good news. These are now available at Ausliebezumduft. Looking forward to trying them when I place my next order.

I think Bois d' Ascese has a similarity with Profumum Arso. Also is slightly like Black Tourmaline, but closer to Arso. Does anyone else see this similarity? Which is better?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I think Bois d' Ascese has a similarity with Profumum Arso. Also is slightly like Black Tourmaline, but closer to Arso. Does anyone else see this similarity? Which is better?
    I find BdA much more smokey and less piney and woody than BT.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    It has been a while since I tried Arso, but while it had some of the smoked woody incense going on, I remember it to be heavily pine-centric. I easily prefer Bois d'Ascese of the two.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I tried it this morning- it's great, smoky and stern as it is!
    I'm now at the final drydown, and I find the notes a bit too conventionally masculine. My partner tried it too but found a very harsh and disturbing note- which I can't smell, though- in it and had to scrub it off...
    Cuir Velours is so odd and compelling! I get much more tobacco and booze notes than leather, and find truly addictive the fizzy, medicinal notes in the drydown. I doubt I could wear it fully, it's somehow too sweet.

Outstanding fragrances, anyway.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

I just tried it and I do get some Black Tourmaline from this! I also get some Puredistance M and Sombre Negra ... all smoky, burning wood, campfire scents and I like them all!

Both are amazing! I finally received my samples. I didn't find Cuir Velours that sweet at all. I get more tobacco, booze, and smoke, with a hint of leather. However, I do have a really sweet tooth for fragrances...

After a long last I've received my samples. Initial impressions: BdA a great scent, for sure. I don't see the resemblance to Arso, but I tried Arso about a month ago, maybe I'm wrong. After 15 minutes however I more and more do see the rather surprising connection to: Cacharel PH. The original, the vintage, yes. BdA is turning on my hand a smokey, rugged Cacharel. I haven't found any opinion about this connection, am I the only one?

I blind bought this recently, and it is a very authentic campfire or fireplace smell to me. I have a cold right now so can't smell much more, but so far I really enjoy it. I think Bois d'Ascese will join Absolue pour le Soir as my go-to scents for this coming winter.

Any updates from those that sampled or purchased this?

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    I blind bought this recently, and it is a very authentic campfire or fireplace smell to me. I have a cold right now so can't smell much more, but so far I really enjoy it. I think Bois d'Ascese will join Absolue pour le Soir as my go-to scents for this coming winter.

Any updates from those that sampled or purchased this?
    I posted my review in the reviews section of this site.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

The opening wall of scent, that is the nostril clearing and sinus scorching one. Yes that scent - the smoked cade wood oil and Somali incense with a Whiskey mixer shock wave gradually gets more and more pleasant as time goes by. After about 3 hours the smokey creosote like notes settle down and the tobacco and amber emerge as a warm skin scent but still the smoked wood in the background. It is a remarkable fragrance that makes a statement and keeps making it, only backing off just a little to reveal a gentler side in its old age.

I was able to sample this fragrance this past Sunday at Min. I quickly got into the burnt musty incense that took over right away and love it all day. I just order a bottle and can't wait to get in my home.

I should have my decant of this soon, looking forward to trying it although im hoping some of the whiskey/sweeter notes take a hold as I feel I've got a few really smokey / camp fire frags already with Black Tourmaline / Interlude man etc. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Got a sample of this and Cuir Velours with my Luckyscent Turtle Vetiver Back order. Immediately ordered Cuir Velours (from MiN with the 20% discount) because I just fell in love with it. Bois d'Ascese is fantastic also but as much as I like it, I'm just not sure this is something I want to smell like all day. Also, I own Armani Prive's Bois d'Encens which is similar minus the campfire note.

Hrmm I feel like Bois was the favourite when this was announced I know I was excited for it but a lot of people share your comments Ziffy of Cuir being a surprise star.
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

I just got a bottle today from MIN....I love this. I love the smoke and the whiskey dry down> it took a while to get to where I was enjoying it...But I gotta say I like this alot.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    Got a sample of this and Cuir Velours with my Luckyscent Turtle Vetiver Back order. Immediately ordered Cuir Velours (from MiN with the 20% discount) because I just fell in love with it. Bois d'Ascese is fantastic also but as much as I like it, I'm just not sure this is something I want to smell like all day. Also, I own Armani Prive's Bois d'Encens which is similar minus the campfire note.
    Agree. I am slowly warming to Bois d'Ascese but Cuir Velours is a real standout.

Never tried it or heard of it.

Hello, if anyone in the UK is interested in doing a split of Bois d'Ascese I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Thanks,
    Fragmeister

Bois d'Asece + Cuir Velour are great, love it!

looking forward to Naomi's 3rd installment - Nuit de Bakerlite by Isabelle Doyen

Naomi's is a wonderful and a friendly person, had a great time chatting with her.

There was a slight problem on one of the bottle i received and she replaced new bottle of BdA express to Oz from France and gave me one of her handmade perfume diary which is very well crafted.

Outstanding!
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Bois d'Ascese uses the same incense as in La Fumee.

for swap/sale:

Just got my bottle. This is stark, dark and intense!

I had the opportunity to correspond with Naomi via email and I thought that you might be interested in what she wrote:

As for our perfume, we are so pleased you like it. They are both two different fragrances (composed by the same nose).
    Our philosophy is to work with one raw material and create a perfume from there. Sometimes there is a story that can help direct the composition, but sometimes there isn't. Bois d'Ascese is a woody incense - I used to own a small timber church in the Australian bush etc etc. Cuir Velours is a gentle layered perfume as we wanted to create something like a soft leather glove - I work with a lot of lamb, goat leather etc.

Anyway, they aren't really meant to gender based perfumes.
    I wear Bois d'Ascese far more than Cuir Velours and Renaud (Coutaudier) wears Cuir Velours more - so you can't really tell, who may like what - if either of them. I guess with a floral note such as immortal flower + rum in CV - it does give sweetness, which can be interrupted as being more feminine.
    But honestly, both men and women wear both each of them equally .... it's entirely a personal choice, what smells good on ones skin and most importantly what makes one feel good ....

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    I had the opportunity to correspond with Naomi via email and I thought that you might be interested in what she wrote:

As for our perfume, we are so pleased you like it. They are both two different fragrances (composed by the same nose).
    Our philosophy is to work with one raw material and create a perfume from there. Sometimes there is a story that can help direct the composition, but sometimes there isn't. Bois d'Ascese is a woody incense - I used to own a small timber church in the Australian bush etc etc. Cuir Velours is a gentle layered perfume as we wanted to create something like a soft leather glove - I work with a lot of lamb, goat leather etc.

Anyway, they aren't really meant to gender based perfumes.
    I wear Bois d'Ascese far more than Cuir Velours and Renaud (Coutaudier) wears Cuir Velours more - so you can't really tell, who may like what - if either of them. I guess with a floral note such as immortal flower + rum in CV - it does give sweetness, which can be interrupted as being more feminine.
    But honestly, both men and women wear both each of them equally .... it's entirely a personal choice, what smells good on ones skin and most importantly what makes one feel good ....
    Great, thanks for sharing!
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Holy grail stuff, if you ask me.

I agree!

So the smoke in this is a bonfire smoke or is it a burning incense smoke ?

I need to know before i order a 5ml sample ...
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....