Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance Addict at Just 19 years old? Is This Normal?

Hey guys,

I have been wearing fragrances since I was very young, but over the past years I have really become obsessed with wearing and collecting fragrances.

My problem is that, at my age, I already have multiple bottles of very expensive fragrances. Some of my current most expensive bottles include:

2 bottles of Creed Aventus
    2 bottles of Creed Millesime Imperial
    1 bottle of Creed Green Irish Tweed
    3 bottles of LIDGE
    3 bottles of Dior Homme Intense
    1 bottle of Amouage Reflection Man

...... and the list goes on with numerous other fragrances, both expensive and moderately priced.

Is this normal for someone my age, or has anyone else experienced this as well when they were around my age? If this really isn't normal, what would you guys suggest I do to better control my obsession with purchasing fragrances?

Thank in advance!

Default Re: Fragrance Addict at Just 19 years old? Is This Normal?

I have seen it many times over the past four decades. More normal than you think.

I'm sure everyone would first wonder where you are getting all the money to purchase so many expensive fragrances at such a young age. Is it your money or mainly your parents? If it's mainly from your parents, are they complaining?

Is it normal? Well, probably not, considering most guys your age aren't obsessively into colognes. But is that a problem? It is if you're spending so much money on fragrances that you aren't able to pay for other things you are responsible for. But if you're acquiring all these fragrances and it's causing no financial hardship, then I'd say you are simply in the same boat as many other people here, but simply at a younger age. Nobody here NEEDS so many fragrances, it's simply a want or desire.

If you're really wanting to control your purchasing of fragrances, one of the best steps would be to quit frequenting this board. Sad, but true.

Thanks a lot for the replies. Yes, I pay for these fragrances with my own money, although sometimes my parents may buy some for me or offer to pay for half. I have a part time job that pays really well, plus I have a lot of money saved up in my bank account. Purchasing all of these fragrances isn't causing me any financial hardships, I was just wondering if this obsession was something normal for a person my age. P.S. I will never quit frequenting this board!

In many ways, I was already a fragrance addict at 14, with little or no interruptions, and I only wished I would have known about Creed back then (though the main designer scents available during these days, many of whom pre-reformulation, were not too bad either).

My suggestions would be, among other hints, to possibly branch put more into designer scents, a bit more affordable than niche without any significant loss in quality, plus to follow sales, trustworthy, Internet retailers, plus fragrance sales/swap boards/forums/sites/portals etc.

Enjoy a definitely well-adjusted and, at least in my perspective, quite rewarding hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Thanks a lot for the replies. Yes, I pay for these fragrances with my own money, although sometimes my parents may buy some for me or offer to pay for half. I have a part time job that pays really well, plus I have a lot of money saved up in my bank account. Purchasing all of these fragrances isn't causing me any financial hardships, I was just wondering if this obsession was something normal for a person my age. P.S. I will never quit frequenting this board!
    *g* I don't think it's any more abnormal than being obsessed with anything else. I mean, it's unusual to spend hundreds of dollars on perfumes, sure. But how many your age would (if they could) spend hundreds of dollars on their project car, or sporting gear of some kind? I'm guessing a lot, having your "thing" that you're passionate about isn't abnormal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    *g* I don't think it's any more abnormal than being obsessed with anything else. I mean, it's unusual to spend hundreds of dollars on perfumes, sure. But how many your age would (if they could) spend hundreds of dollars on their project car, or sporting gear of some kind? I'm guessing a lot, having your "thing" that you're passionate about isn't abnormal.
    Totally agreed!

My buddy in high school put WAY more money into his hot rod than you'll likely put into fragrances for years.

I *loved* fragrance as much as I do now, back then. I just didn't know how to deal with it. I thought it was only OK to own 2 or 3 bottles max.

There's only one thing which I would say. Don't obsessively back up your favorites, and then worry that they aren't in cryonic storage until 5000 AD. That can take you into a bad place. Two words. fragrance survivalist

Put another way, you should never *worry* about fragrance. Just experience the joy that can come from a diverse fragrance experience.

And it should never become more important than other stuff like your friends. Bottom line - if your house catches fire, you save the dog and let the frags all burn.

I really appreciate all of the advice! I'm kind of feeling a little better about myself now and less guilty. Collecting fragrances as well as collecting watches have always been my two main obsessions (I've been collecting both since I was about 15 or 16). It also seems impossible for me to find individuals around my age who share these same interests. However, I still really enjoy sharing these interests with individuals who are older than me, as I always preferred associating with more mature people anyway.

I guess I will just limit myself to buying two or three fragrances per month, and I will alternate between buying both designer and niche fragrances.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Totally agreed!

My buddy in high school put WAY more money into his hot rod than you'll likely put into fragrances for years.

I *loved* fragrance as much as I do now, back then. I just didn't know how to deal with it. I thought it was only OK to own 2 or 3 bottles max.

There's only one thing which I would say. Don't obsessively back up your favorites, and then worry that they aren't in cryonic storage until 5000 AD. That can take you into a bad place. Two words. fragrance survivalist

Put another way, you should never *worry* about fragrance. Just experience the joy that can come from a diverse fragrance experience.

And it should never become more important than other stuff like your friends. Bottom line - if your house catches fire, you save the dog and let the frags all burn.

Thanks for the pointers. I just have one question: Is it ok to obsessively back up my favorites if they are very hard to acquire, such as LIDGE and DHI, for example?
    Last edited by Gabe; 11th December 2012 at 05:07 AM.

IThanks for the pointers. I just have one question: Is it ok to obsessively back up my favorites if they are very hard to acquire, such as LIDGE and DHI, for example?
    My first question is, how soon are you likely to use up these fragrances? Soon enough to justify extra bottles? In my case, I don't use a lot of sprays per wearing, and I have about seventy different fragrances, so I will _never_ use up a bottle. I buy the very smallest bottle available, and don't buy backups.

I understand the worry that you could use up any amount, but on the other hand, _you're_ the one who's using them up. You can keep an eye on the level in the bottle, and when it goes down to a certain amount, you can start using the fragrance more sparingly. You won't be able to use it lavishly and frequently, but you won't have the risk of never smelling it again.

Careful...I don't see why you would want so many bottles of the same fragrance. I'd prefer to use up whatever I have, and repurchase later so that I know I have a fresh batch. Some people do back up difficult-to-find fragrances. Personally, I always so, "if they're off the market, they're off the market." I'll just end up finding something else that I like better anyways.

Its never a crime to invest time and money into something that you are passionate about just as long as you recognize the opportunity cost of all those creed fragrances lol

As a parent I would rather you spend your money on watches and frags than say booze etc etc- At your age I would be suggesting perhaps dabble in the odd long-term collectable, just like wine they 'may' increase in value, just so long as you feel you are in control of your spending patterns. I suspect there are many teens in America who are considered very normal whilst spending a fortune on designer clothes which will be out of fashion and 'unwearable' after a few outings.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    My first question is, how soon are you likely to use up these fragrances? Soon enough to justify extra bottles? In my case, I don't use a lot of sprays per wearing, and I have about seventy different fragrances, so I will _never_ use up a bottle. I buy the very smallest bottle available, and don't buy backups.

I understand the worry that you could use up any amount, but on the other hand, _you're_ the one who's using them up. You can keep an eye on the level in the bottle, and when it goes down to a certain amount, you can start using the fragrance more sparingly. You won't be able to use it lavishly and frequently, but you won't have the risk of never smelling it again.
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'll keep that in mind. I usually use a moderate amount of sprays per wearing (4-6), depending on how strong the fragrance is. I tend to wear more if it's a weaker/lighter scent. I'll take your advice and try using some of my fragrances more sparingly. However, I still feel that it is a good idea and that it will benefit me in the long run to have some backups, especially if I really love the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Careful...I don't see why you would want so many bottles of the same fragrance. I'd prefer to use up whatever I have, and repurchase later so that I know I have a fresh batch. Some people do back up difficult-to-find fragrances. Personally, I always so, "if they're off the market, they're off the market." I'll just end up finding something else that I like better anyways.
    When I really love a fragrance, especially one that is hard to find, I feel the need to have multiple bottles of it due to the fact that I wear these fragrances very often and just in case they get discontinued in the future (I know, I'm slightly paranoid about it). However, for my other bottles, I do wait until they are done before repurchasing new bottles. And you are right, once they are off the market, you really can't do anything about it, so you basically have to find the next best alternative. This is why, though, I like buying multiple bottles of the ones I feel are going to be discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by Atticushero View Post
    Its never a crime to invest time and money into something that you are passionate about just as long as you recognize the opportunity cost of all those creed fragrances lol
    Thanks for making me feel better And yes, I definitely recognize the opportunity cost of all my Creed fragrances!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by suds View Post
    As a parent I would rather you spend your money on watches and frags than say booze etc etc- At your age I would be suggesting perhaps dabble in the odd long-term collectable, just like wine they 'may' increase in value, just so long as you feel you are in control of your spending patterns. I suspect there are many teens in America who are considered very normal whilst spending a fortune on designer clothes which will be out of fashion and 'unwearable' after a few outings.
    Thanks for the great advice! Yes, I would definitely much rather spend my money on fragrances and watches than booze, lol. Also, what you say about "dabbling in the odd long-term collectible," due to the fact that they may increase in value, is exactly the way I look at it, especially if I really love the fragrance. And yes, I'm pretty sure there are many other teens in the US who are far worse than me with their spending.

I think it's healthy that you are aware enough to ask these questions. It's also reassuring to see a 19 year old stringing together coherent sentences.

If you haven't already, take a look at this Basenotes forum:

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/12-E...e-Abuse-Clinic

Cheers . . . Wally

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Swoboda View Post
    I think it's healthy that you are aware enough to ask these questions. It's also reassuring to see a 19 year old stringing together coherent sentences.

If you haven't already, take a look at this Basenotes forum:

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/12-E...e-Abuse-Clinic

Cheers . . . Wally
    Thank you! I greatly appreciate those kind words Also, thank you for the link that you provided to the forum, as it is something that will undoubtedly help me out!

i think that u have lacking of female attention and think that this fragrances will help you with that its normal and good chance end with your virginity

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

This may be the best advice I've ever seen on Basenotes. Listen to this guy.

It's an alcohol addiction. I think you need to see a doctor about this.

It's perfectly fine. I'm 17 years old and have 14 full bottles of various fragrances, plus several decants of niche fragrances. I've always been fascinated by smells and fragrances since I was a little kid and I love this hobby, its fun and the art of perfumery is something that intrigues me. I think fragrance is an important representation as to who you are and is an important accessory in your overall self (speaking in terms of grooming/hygiene).

I think being able to appreciate this art and collecting at a young age is a good thing and gives you more time to explore a variety of different scents/houses. Some people may find it weird, yes, that people such as myself and you are very into fragrances, it's a harmless hobby as long as you are smart about it and it doesn't become an obsession that strains your finances. I also have a part time job and on occasion buy a fragrance I really love/enjoy as long as my finances are secure enough to let me have some financial freedom to purchase other things as purchasing fragrances should most definitely not where most of your funds end up going too. I also get many fragrances from family for occasions such as the holidays and my birthday, which helps to trim down my list of most wanted scents. Being smart and buying decants also helps to save money and gives you plenty of juice. Dior Ambre Nuit is my favourite fragrance and the price of the bottle is quite expensive, so I opted for a 50 ml decant which will last awhile and helped me to save a lot of cash. Just be smart and know your limit.

Don't think that a hobby as innocent as this is "isn't normal" because people find pleasure and enjoyment from the strangest things that most others will never understand, enjoy, sit back and explore all there is to offer in the fragrance world

When I really love a fragrance, especially one that is hard to find, I feel the need to have multiple bottles of it due to the fact that I wear these fragrances very often and just in case they get discontinued in the future (I know, I'm slightly paranoid about it).
    As the daughter of a hoarder, this does worry me, and I would suggest that you start taking some actions to alter this situation. Not huge, life-changing actions, just small actions to reduce the odds of happiness-limiting issues in the future.

Hoarding is, in very large part, driven by an intolerance of risk. The risk that you'll run out, the risk that you'll want whatever the thing is, the risk that you'll wish you bought it, the risk that you'll be sorry you got rid of it, risk risk risk.

But life is full of risk. If you had a hundred bottles of a fragrance, you'd still have the risk that they'd go bad, the risk that they'd be stolen. You could do something about those risks, and then you'd think of more risks, and you'd feel driven to do something about them.

The risk in this case is trivial - what will really happen to you if you can't smell a favorite fragrance, even if you can never smell it again? You won't starve, get fired, or die. You'll feel dismayed. You'll have a moment, or several moments, of anger or dismay. Now and then, you might feel a pang as you remember that fragrance. But you'll be OK.

You're driven to reduce that relatively minor risk. I think that you should resist that drive.

It's the process of acting to reduce relatively minor risks that is, in my eyes, dangerous. Because when you keep on acting to reduce those risks, you're soothing your mind, convincing it more and more that it can't tolerate risks, making it less and less tolerant of risks. By wrapping yourself in safegurds to ensure that you'll never experience that "Fragrance X is gone forever!" moment, you convince your brain that that moment is something to fear. And that drives it to seek to eliminate more and more unlikely risks.

The danger here is the slippery slope, the growth of the habit. So I'd suggest that you consciously, deliberately, accept some risk, that you put firm boundaries on your risk-reducing habits. For example, let's say that you'll allow yourself to have one (extra) bottle each of your five favorite fragrances, and that will be it for backup bottles. If you pick a new favorite, then the spare of one of the old five get sold away. Now, it doesn't have to be one bottle and five, but it should be a limit, a limit that you feel.

What if you discover that you chose the wrong five and you're sorry as you get to the last half of another bottle? That's the point - experiencing that risk is the point. It's a tolerable risk. You still have the original bottle, and when it gets down to, say, one-third full, you can use that fragrance less often. The risk is small. And because it's so small, it's not a good idea to work too hard to soothe it away.

Mom got to the point in her life where she could not bear any risk, and that intolerance narrowed her life to a smaller, and smaller, and smaller circle - while her house filled up and became more and more a place that welcomed no one but her. I'm not saying that you're going to end up on an episode of Hoarders when you're forty, but I am saying that it's just not good to feed an intolerance for the small risks of life.

Edited to add: I feel that I wasn't clear enough about one element of this that is, to me, important. Up to a certain insane number of bottles, the first bottle of a new fragrance increases your joy in life. It's driven by eagerness for an experience, pleasure in your collection - joy. But the _backup_ bottle of a fragrance is, IMO, driven by fear. I'm in favor of joy, as long as it's not financially or otherwise destructive. Catering to fear is what I'm trying to persuade you away from.
    Last edited by ChickenFreak; 12th December 2012 at 01:58 AM.

@ChickenFreak First of all, I greatly appreciate the fact that you took the time to write such a helpful, long, and detailed response for me. I really thank you for that. Your response was incredible and it involved in-depth psychological analysis along with useful life lessons. I will certainly take your advice and attempt to resist & decrease the drive for reducing my risk. I will also definitely set a limit for myself as to how many backups of my favorite fragrances I purchase. I certainly do not want to keep feeding an intolerance for the small risks of life. You raise many great points in your response and give amazing advice, therefore, I will use this to my advantage so that I am better able to cope with these minor problems. Again, I greatly thank you and really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Not sure why you need multiple bottles of everything, but when that collector's urge kicks in...

There are worse things you could be spending your money on, I suppose.

BTW, this probably isn't the best place to gauge what is normal. Normal for a basenoter or normal for the wider community? Hanging out with Basenoters (classic enablers) isn't likely to help you use less fragrance, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I wanto to know what part time job you have! (Rhetorical, it is rude to ask.)

But seriously, those bottles on the OP are not hard to find. The only one that you would want to back up is the infamously variable Aventus if you found a batch you love. But 3? I have only heard of 3-FB backup on newly discontinued frags.

But to answer your question- it is normal to become obsessed with hobbies at any age.

Nothing at all abnormal about being into fragrances at your age. I got into it at around age 14 and it has been progressing since.

The only thing I would deem to be slightly abnormal / uneccessary is having multiple bottles of the same fragrance. Especially as there is a vast array of fragrances out their to be explored and enjoyed, to instead put your money in buying duplicates is not what I would recommend.

Dior Homme Intense is certainly not difficult to find, normal department stores sell them.

Basenotes Member

19 and addicted also!

Thanks guys! I am aware that I have to control my purchasing of multiple bottles of the same fragrance. And I didn't say that all of those bottles were hard to find, I meant that for me and where I live, LIDGE and DHI are the hardest to find. The rest are easy to find but the reason I buy duplicates of those is because I love them so much. But, yes, I will certainly start controlling myself better from now on.

Basenotes Junkie

I say stock up now while you can, before you hit the real world and maybe can't afford them. You have a whole lifetime ahead of you to use it all up. Buy as much as you can whenever you can.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I buy backup bottles of beloved fragrances that are discontinued/reformulated or likely to be, but not of other fragrances. I have multiples of some and none of others. It isn't the sort of hoarding that takes over your life if you are selective.

And I even sell the backup bottles if I find that my interest in that fragrance wanes.

Try to enjoy the hobby and not let it drive you. As long as the tail isn't wagging the dog, you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post

Well put. If these bottles are all the largest 100, 120 or 125ml sizes you probably won't need all these back ups if you actually use many from your collection regularly.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo Saggio View Post
    Well put. If these bottles are all the largest 100, 120 or 125ml sizes you probably won't need all these back ups if you actually use many from your collection regularly.
    Come on chaps, give him a break.. He's 19 and probably bathes in the stuff like every other teenager- That's normal for teenagers in the U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo Saggio View Post
    Will a bottle that one started three years ago turn bad?

...Is this normal for someone my age, or has anyone else experienced this as well when they were around my age? If this really isn't normal, what would you guys suggest I do to better control my obsession with purchasing fragrances?

Thank in advance!
    Is this normal? No, but I don't really consider any of us who frequent this site to be "normal" So, not normal to a typical 19 yr old old, but for someone who has found a passion for fragrance I think you're OK. A bit excessive with the multiple bottles, but as long as you're not going broke or doing nefarious things to afford your habit you should be fine.

I worry a little about the use of the word "obsession", maybe if that was changed to "passion" it would be better, but it also could be a matter of translation.

The fact that you are concerned might cause some concern. Do you have anything else that you tend to own a lot of or even horde?

If I were you I would make a rule that you should own only ONE bottle of each fragrance. After all at your age it is inevitable that you will find other fragrances that will be just as good and even better than the ones you love now.

Chickenfreak makes some very good points, and none of the items I see on your list are all that difficult to find in this ever shrinking world. Besides, imagine how bad you would feel if your backup bottles turned and were rendered useless. I did a similar thing where I saved my favorite frags and only wore them on ultra special occasions, then I noticed 2 of my bottles had turned and I was devastated.

Self control might be a wise thing But congrats on being one of us and sharing our passion
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

I guess i started late. Glad didn't start earlier since it can be an expensive hobby, especially when you start niche (like amouage)