Code of Conduct

Default Gourmand Recommendations

I'll try to make it short and sweet. Every day here I see gourmand talk....LIDGE v DHI, etc, etc. I'd really love to wear one for Fall but unlike many people on here I'd like the safest bet to sample to start. As a reference when I tested New Harlam I enjoyed it but it was years ago. Dior Homme, no matter how much I test and wear it, comes off very feminine on me..the iris just never quits. So that might eliminate DHI. I really don't want to go all out price wise either. So what is the best reference gourmand to start with that will be safe for a law firm and around 3 kids, wife, etc.? Thanks
    Last edited by ToughCool; 22nd October 2012 at 04:46 AM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Gourmand Recommendations

Angel Men is the baseline gourmand for me. It's extremely potent, though, so if you find it too strong (and/or if you don't like its love-or-hate top note) try one of its "Pure ___" flankers.

The one mentioned above or maybe Rochas Man

Blog Entries

+1 Rochas Man by Rochas
    Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

Ambre Narguile is my favorite by far, smells like apple compote / turnover. It's absolutely amazing

i personally didn't like Dior Homme initially, no matter how much i tried, but instantly fell in love with DHI @ first sniff. so give DHI a go if you looking for a lovely gourmand.

love LIDGE , but i prefer DHI more.

other than those 2, Pure Malt , Pure Havane, Rochas Man, Body Kouros and Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin are great as well.

personally i don't like Amen & New Haarleem, too strong and too sweet.

up a level, go for Tobacco Vanille or Ambre Narguile

would also recommend you try Yohji Homme & Pure Coffee if you can find it at a good price.
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Dcampbell

While I love DHI I personally don't consider it a gourmand same with tobacco vanille. I would say start with New Haarlem and finish with Ambre Narguile.

Many gourmands can come off too sweet and cloying to seem serious enough for daily wear in, say, a law office. Don't get me wrong - I love many of them, but wouldn't wear them to work. I consider most of those mentioned above that way, except L'Instant Extreme. It has a nice dry bitter cocoa note that anchors it throughout without ever being too sweet.

i don't know the Bond, but DHI, AN, and A*Men are all too much for office wear IMO. The other one I'd consider is Pure Havane, but it doesn't seem so much a gourmand to me.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Law firm and 3 kids : stay away from Pure Malt and A*men , hence they are both loud in projection .

I would suggest either Pure Havane, Pure Leather or Givenchy Play intense . The latter wears close to the skin and won't offend anyone .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Frapin 1270 - delicious honey cognac

Michael Jordan Legend and Animale Animale are good deals.

Based on your criteria, Givenchy Play Intense. I have been told that Pi may also fit the bill, but I have not tried that one in years.

Banned

Like del mentioned above:

Rochas Man by Rochas - In its opening, a pleasing lavender and bergamot arouse the senses. From afar, a sweet and creamy vanilla bobs eagerly. Thankfully, the lavender remains throughout the composition to rein in the sweetness. The tantalizing vanilla does intrude on that grassy lavender, and brings its sugary sweetness to the fore, steering it to its heart. The middle beckons, stewing with its coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, cedar, and rasberry notes, as well as some, lovely jasmine and lily-of-the-valley accords. The sweet vanilla blends nicely with the heart, creating a delicious mocha cafe, with hints of wood and floral twinkling. The smooth base with its amber, sandalwood, and glimpses of patchouli, usurps the melange, softening it, and evolves into its enticing drydown. It's a well-constructed gourmand. This delightful fragrance's longevity is good; and its projection is average for the first 3 hours, then sticks to the skin.

or

Play Intense by Givenchy - Upon application, one is pleasantly treated to a refreshing duet of nectarous, mandarin tangerine and somewhat tart bergamot. Tumbling to the waiting middle, the citrus mixes with the slightly spicy and fruity pink pepper and coffee-tree wood to brew a sweet, cocoa concoction, and flows to the wondrous base. Transitioning, multifaceted labdanum kidnaps the cocoa mixture and morphs the cocoa into a not unpleasant, tar-like, burnt coffee. The syrupy coffee joins with the woody vetiver, the sweet patchouli, the spicy vanilla of the tonka beans, and the soft, balsamic amyris wood to exude an awesome, mocha drydown. A delectable treat, this radiant composition has excellent longevity and very good projection.

I wouldn't recommend gourmands for your law firm.....or any job, really. If you must, go very lightly with it.

I work to a back office with lot of people around me and there were no issues of wearing:
    Rochas Man
    Givenchy Play Intense
    Acqua di Parma, Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo di Sicilia

You shall not apply like crazy. 2-3 sprays and done.
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Frapin 1270
    This one.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Istant de Guerlain

but with Kokoriko you will smell like a chunck of chocolate!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

I'd go with Lacoste Pour Homme, as it's not super sweet, powdery, nor "feminine."

LIDGE - Though more of a semi Gourmand
    Frapin - 1270.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, recommendations and warnings. Sounds like I might have a tough time wearing these off and on in the office. Maybe I can start by buying some small decants of the more semi-gourmands like LIDGE, Play Intense and some others and see what happens. I'll have to look at Frapin 1270 too and read up on some of these. Thanks!
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Givenchy Play Intense

Histoires de Parfums 1969
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille
    Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

Try :
    Givenchy Pi
    Paco Rabanne Ultrared
    Montblanc Individuell
    Jacques Fath Pour Homme
    Strictly Private Baldessarini (tobacco + vanille ) not sure if it can called as a gourmand but try and judge on your own
    Van Cleef Midnight in Paris
    Kapsule Woody Karl Lagerfeld
    Animale Animale for Men
    HM Hanae Mori
    CK One Shock For Him

all are very easy on your low budget
    My astonishing Top 10 fragrances :

1. Hombre by Victorio & Lucchino
    2. Antidote Viktor&Rolf
    3. Pure Havane Thierry Mugler
    4. Ambre Baldessarini
    5. Pure Malt Thierry Mugler
    6. Ultrared Men Paco Rabanne
    7. Jacques Fath pour L`Homme
    8. Silver Scent Jacques Bogart
    9. Chastity Men Rasasi
    10. Blue Sugar Aquolina

Vetiver Tonka (Hermes) might be worth a look.

I know you asked for gourmand but for something that might complement your wardrobe and that offers the warmth of something like Guerlain l'Instant (good call) and has a nice balance between 'classic' and laid-back I would suggest you also give Tiffany for Men a shot.

If you are at a serious Guerlain counter I think the Gourmand Coquin suggestion is valid, Iris Ganache (recently discontinued but still around) and even Oriental Brulant could be worth checking out. Tonka Imperiale is great, too, but may be pushing it a bit far - you be the judge.

Coromandel (Chanel) is semi-gourmand with patchouli - I know one guy who wears it in a business setting and can carry it off - it's a more sophisticated take on the whole chocolate / patch thing.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 22nd October 2012 at 04:54 PM.

I agree with most of the suggestions here.

I will add L'Occitane Eau des Baux...cypress and vanilla delight. Many compare it to TF Tobacco Vanille...I'm not sure as I have never smelled TV.

Basenotes Institution

ToughCool, try London for Men by Burberry, a nice 'starter' gourmand for sure. I also agree with the Rochas Man recommendations above.

My new favorite gourmand is Anima Dulcis by Arquiste, but I'm hesitant to recommend it for daily wear because it's so unique and interesting (chocolate, vanilla, chili).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Another for Rochas Man, Play Intense and LIDGE. Although not technically a gourmand for most, I would second the Burberry London recommendation for your situation as well.

CK One Shock for Him

Delicious stuff, cognac chocolate

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Midnight in Paris, edp,
    Rochas Man,
    Givenchy Play Intense.
    All of these can be worn in a law office setting, believe me I know, and will not be offensive to anyone. Easy on the trigger.

- - - Updated - - -

Midnight in Paris, edp,
    Rochas Man,
    Givenchy Play Intense.
    All of these can be worn in a law office setting, believe me I know, and will not be offensive to anyone. Easy on the trigger.

Jaipur
    Habit Rouge

Thanks again..@MikePerez and fit&frag..I wear London often this time of year but it usually doesn't come off too Gourmand on me...more tobacco and spice but not really what I've smelled some gourmands to be...vanilla/cocoa, etc. So that gives me hope for some others. It was a wife favorite and won worn on our Fall wedding years ago. I appreciate the other suggestions.
    --Ben Hogan

Basenotes Institution

You're welcome, and oh yeah I forgot about Shock by Calvin Klein, one of the better designer releases as of late. Sort of a sweeter, brighter Obsession for Men.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

My wife likes Givenchy Play Intense quite a bit.

Another you may want to consider is Bond No.9 - I Love New York for All.

Also, I second Mr Reasonable's suggestion of Vetiver Tonka
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Caron pour un Homme - only marginally a gourmand, besides, so classic, elegant and discreetly masculine, it is one of the few scents one might define (even if it sounds paradoxical) as an "office wear/business style gourmand"

I have a 5ml travel spray decant of LIDGE coming my way so I'll see how that does. Will try Play Intense at store by here too. Though last time I tried it..and it was awhile ago..I thought I got a rubbery/plastic smell off the top of PI.
    --Ben Hogan

So I'm wearing LIDGE today. There are days like today that I don't know if I'm made for this hobby. First of all, it is a very well made scent. And the cocoa part of it...which I got right off the bat..I enjoy immensely. But there is a floral component that I just can't get on board with. Ever since I started this hobby 4 years back anything with a floral component(read perfumey) comes across really strong on me...feminine strong. So right now I think this is a beautiful scent but not on me. It also leaves me a little congested. I get this with many more natural smelling scents. Keep trying I guess.
    --Ben Hogan

Shoot I promise I am not trying to be funny but give Playboy VIP a try......it's a pretty decent gourmand

I wear Coromandel to work, and I am an attorney. I dont get the gourmand vibe but I get patchouli tempered with a creaminess.

Lidge, I wanna try that. How much was the 5ml decant? I tried 1270 and it would work at a law office, but dang, it will not last past lunch

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I wear Coromandel to work, and I am an attorney. I dont get the gourmand vibe but I get patchouli tempered with a creaminess.

Lidge, I wanna try that. How much was the 5ml decant? I tried 1270 and it would work at a law office, but dang, it will not last past lunch
    I got the 5ml decant from an ebay seller. It came in a nice travel spray and was like $16. It is still going strong on me. It really is nice but don't think its my cup of tea, as stated above. I'll come back to it a few more times.
    --Ben Hogan

Default The official Gourmand thread on Basenotes.

This thread is going to be the official thread of Gourmand fragrances here on Basenotes. I feel like we need one, and so does others.

Now, what I want you to do is to name your favourite gourmands. You can either pick your all-time favorite or you could wright down your top 5 or even you top 10, it's all up to you. As long as it's a gourmand!

Let's make this thread the biggest. Let's go!

Basenotes Member

Default Re: The official Gourmand thread on Basenotes.

Paco Rabanne Ultrared and Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet color of summer definitely worth a try if you like gourmand.

Sound Scents

I don't have many I like, but Yohji Homme (original formula) and Frapin 1270 are two I definitely do.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Noël au balcon
    ///
    1. Une Fleur de Cassie
    2. A Travers Le Miroir
    3. Noël au Balcon
    4. Ghost Man / Bvlgari Black

Normally I would list a bunch of my favorites, but the unique envirnment of a law office requires a narrows the field. My top two choices for you.

L'Artisan Traversee du Bosphore
    Vetiver Tonka by Hermes

These are fantastic baseline gourmands.
    Rochas Man
    Animale Animale
    Givenchy Play Intense

If you really want something great...go for Viaggio d`Africa Pal Zileri
    Hey BN'ers come check out my blog/channel for reviews/unboxings/first impressions! Feel free to subscribe and, thanks much. TheScentNose.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScentNose?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille has a tobacco note at first, but after a while, all I get is Vanilla...nice for a gourmand

these two are very good:
    CnR Create Capricorn Men: lovely rich vanila, caramel with a full patchoulli body. Really yummy
    Demeter Vanilla Cake: well, if you really want to have a perfume you want to 'eat', this is a good one.