Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a cedar scent (similar to Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood Aftershave)

For many years, my daily wear cologne has been Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte and, on occasion, Terre d'Hermes. Several months ago, I took up traditional wet shaving with a DE safety razor and started using Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood cream and aftershave. The scent is very heavy on the sweet cedar side (almost like a cedar chest or closet) with a little sandalwood underneath. I really like the cedar scent and I have been trying to find a similar cologne. I have recently tried Moonshine and, although I like it, it is not quite quite what I'm looking for. I've also tried Cedar L`Occitane en Provence, but again, not quite what I have in mind. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
    Best regards,
    Gonzo
    Last edited by TheGreatGonzo; 4th January 2013 at 02:35 AM.

Default Re: Looking for a cedar scent (along the same lines as Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood Afters

Penhaligon's Opus 1870. Superb cedar fragrance, less than average longevity, however. :/

Default Re: Looking for a cedar scent (along the same lines as Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood Afters

Perhaps Noble Cedar by Chopard or Cedre by L'Occitane

Dependent

Lalique Equus

There are too many perfumes that use cedar as a note and for sure you will find at least one of you liking.
    Personally I like very much Puig Silver Quorum, the cedar note is dominant but no overpowering, and is a very inexpensive juice.
    No sandalwood on that one .

Visit for men by Azzaro is another cedar dominant perfume, to me it is an outstanding fragrance, but to many the inciense note is too powerful. No sandalwood on this one either.

I would also investigate any Dsquared perfume.

Daddy yankee may be a celebrity scent, but give it a shot.

For a more powerful cedar/sandalwood combo consider RSVP by Kenneth Cole, the extreme woodyness of it is a turn off for many though.

If money is of no concern try Cedro by Campos de Ibiza, Bois de Cedrat or Bois du Portugal by Creed. Cedro by Campos de Ibiza has a noticeable sandalwood note on it, Bois du Portugal has hints of sandalwood whereas Bois de Cedrat does not.

Good luck on your quest.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    For many years, my daily wear cologne has been Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte and, on occasion, Terre d'Hermes. Several months ago, I took up traditional wet shaving with a DE safety razor and started using Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood cream and aftershave. The scent is very heavy on the sweet cedar side (almost like a cedar chest or closet) with a little sandalwood underneath. I really like the cedar scent and I have been trying to find a similar cologne. I have recently tried Moonshine and, although I like it, it is not quite quite what I'm looking for. I've also tried Cedar L`Occitane en Provence, but again, not quite what I have in mind. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
    Best regards,
    Gonzo
    Tam Dao by Dyptique is the exact same fragrance as the Castle Forbes!

I am straight razor shaver and know the Castle Forbes line well. You can't go wrong with that line. Welcome to Basenotes!

Sound Scents

Cacharel pour L'Homme is my recommendation.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and the suggestions. I certainly have some new avenues to explore now.
    Gonzo

+1 Opus 1870 - I get a good several hours from this.
    +1 Tam Dao - Lots of Cedar with some Sandalwood.

I don't know the smelling of your aftershave but my favorite cedar is probably
    SL - Bois oriental
    , it's a little bit sweet/ vanilic with a hint of fruit and spices (cinnamon).
    The atlas cedar is naturaly honeyed.

If you like cedarwood I strongly suggest you to explore Comme Des Garcons. Other stuff you might want to check...

Tam Dao (Again)
    Rochas Lui
    Ormonde Man
    Acqua Di Casta
    Santal 33
    New West For Him
    Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Chene

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Not a big one here but I find Armani Mania to a really linear cedar and cashmere musk scent. I enjoy the cedar in it. I've always enjoyed it.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Tam Dao and one or two more I'm forgetting.

for swap/sale:

As much as I appreciate all of the suggestions...I'm still looking! I tried samples of several of the suggested scents. I really like Penhaligon's Opus 1870 as a scent, but it does not have that really pure, woody cedar scent I'm looking for. The descriptions of the Castle Forbes colognes don't sound as though they mirror the aftershave at all.

Any further suggestions for that cedar chest/fresh woods scent would be greatly appreciated.
    Gonzo

Dependent

Default Re: Looking for a cedar scent (similar to Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood Aftershave)

If you haven't tried Equus, why are you posting? It's nearly pure cedar in character.

Default Re: Looking for a cedar scent (similar to Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood Aftershave)

I find By Kilian's Straight to Heaven to be a great cedar scent. It's a very addicting scent

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    If you haven't tried Equus, why are you posting?
    Because I have not been able to find every single scent suggested yet and because I appreciate additional suggestions. But thanks for your concern.

It's nearly pure cedar in character.
    While I have not been able to find it locally to sample, I'll continue to look based on your recommendation. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I find By Kilian's Straight to Heaven to be a great cedar scent. It's a very addicting scent
    Thanks!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

DSquared's Rocky Mountain Wood
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Thanks. That is one I'm not familiar with at all, but the description sounds a lot like what I have in mind.

Pure cedar/sandalwood: Diptyque Tam Dao.

Pure wood as genetically engineered for a colony in outer space: Escentric Molecule's Molecule 01 (people around you will love you for wearing this - its pure wood but clean smelling - like a "perfect" idea of wood that exists only in the imagination and not in nature.

Also test Comme des Garcons "Hinoki," Comme des Garcons "Kyoto", Gucci pour Homme (2003 - brown juice in blocky bottle), Balmain Carbone for variations on the cedarwood theme.

But really, Tam Dao is probably what you are looking for. It's straight up cedarwood/sandalwood and not much else.

A further budget recommendation: Zara Cedarwood.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I second that, RMW is as cedary as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Perhaps Noble Cedar by Chopard or Cedre by L'Occitane
    agree.

If you can find it (it's discontinued but available on ebay), try Tumulte pour homme by Christian Lacroix :wonderful cedar scent !

Even Eau des Baux has a hefty dose of cedar in the opening. And then you get that delicious vanilla drydown.

Depending on your pocketbook, Krigler Cozy Cedar Wood has an outstanding cedar note, but it is pricey(samples can be had from their website for $7.50). Gucci Pour Homme has a decent cedar note. Again at the upper end of the scale: Armani Prive Cedre Olympe is a special take on a woodsy cedar scent.
    Last edited by Roper-Hall; 4th January 2013 at 11:08 PM.

If you haven't tried Equus, why are you posting? It's nearly pure cedar in character.
    Well, MonkeyBars, I appreciate the urging. It seems like Equus is almost exactly what I was looking for. I've been wearing it for a couple of days now and I think it is settling in nicely. I have a sample of Rocky Mountain Woods inbound just to see how it compares, but Equus is pretty close to what I had in mind. Thanks!

And thanks to everyone else for their suggestions as well.
    Gonzo

...I don't understand the love for cedar: to me it smells identical to sweat: Horrible! I avoid cedar dominated scents. In spite of that I ordered a Tam Dao sample last month and again I was confronted with this dislike: I gave it away after 1 wrist spray: aaaarrrrggghhhh! So for the cedar lovers I must advise Tam Dao (please don't come too near!)...!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Well, MonkeyBars, I appreciate the urging. It seems like Equus is almost exactly what I was looking for. I've been wearing it for a couple of days now and I think it is settling in nicely. I have a sample of Rocky Mountain Woods inbound just to see how it compares, but Equus is pretty close to what I had in mind. Thanks!
    I'm so glad.

Recently I purchased a little bottle of Virginia cedar (technically a juniper) essential oil and it's lovely. One could definitely wear it on its own, diluted in vodka or jojoba oil e.g.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    +1.

You might also want to try:
    Serge Lutens Bois et Fruits
    Bond No. 9 Great Jones
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Armani Cedre Olympe (still trying to get my hands on a full bottle of this one)

and, IMO, the best cedar:
    Creed Spice & Wood
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov