Code of Conduct

Default What do you think of the new Gorilla Perfumes lineup?

There was a post listing all the new Gorilla Perfumes fragrances at LUSH on here a while back but I can't find it anywhere Tried searching.
    Anyway - I quickly sniffed a few of these in store today.
    The two that stood out for me were:

Hellstone - which to me was a warm, spicy vetiver fragrance with a dash of cumin and a waxy/papery texture. It's wierd, but good. Not sure whether I'd wear it.

The Bug was probably my favourite - it has three very distinctive phases. It starts with a rich, dark purple tart blackcurrant with a spike of pepper. Half an hour later it is a pure geranium bomb with a medicinal undertone of eucalyptus - very herbal and natural. After two hours or so it turns into a rosy slightly soiled musk. All developments were realllllly unexpected and a great fragrance full of twists and turns. I will be picking up a bottle of it tomorrow I think

The packaging has all changed too, but it's annoying that they are all now splash bottles. Also the price increase is insane - very overpriced in my opinion of course - some of the 100ml bottles asking for £100 :|

Anyone else tried these yet?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you think of the new Gorilla Perfumes lineup?

http://gorillaperfume.wordpress.com/...lushfest-2012/

Here you go!

lf you click on "new products" it takes you to the original page.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Fab! Thanks - glad to see my guesses were a little accurate. Really need to explore these more. Impressed so far - although they still have that "Lush" vibe, they are far more approachable (but equally if not more experimental)

Blog Entries

Cool!

l haven't tried any of these yet, but Sikkim Girls sounds like my kind of thing, & possibly Furze, too. Didn't realise they'd be this expensive, though!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Cool!

l haven't tried any of these yet, but Sikkim Girls sounds like my kind of thing, & possibly Furze, too. Didn't realise they'd be this expensive, though!
    I wore Furze as well - I KIND of enjoyed it - it is EXTREMELY similar to Flower's Barrow which they've also released. Only Furze slowly evolved from what I guess is mimosa (in both fragrances), into a coconut/vanilla/heliotrope - a typical play-doh-y fragrance, a good one at least. I really liked both of these, Flower's Barrow a little more though. But, I have Classic Mimosa by Von Eusersdorff which I find a smidge better than both and a similar vibe

The Devil's Nightcap was also quite nice - a herbal narcotic floral, that's mainly just an oakmoss fragrance more than anything. They kept going on that it was their most popular - which of course put me off. But it's personality wasn't as strong as the others.

The Voice Of Reason I only smelt out the bottle but it was a great boozy hit and I'll be sure to try it on skin tomorrow.

Yep the price is crazy. But they come in 4 sizes. The 10mls are around £18 which I still find crazy steep.

...according to Lush's SAs, they're all in parfum strength, that's why they're expensive...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

It's disappointing to hear about the price increase as I was looking forward to sampling some of these. If they truly are EDP or parfum strength they will be of more interest to me. I love this firm's marketing - the names and boldness of the fragrances.

Personally not a fan of anything this house has to offer.

Banned

oh i love Karma! this orange patchouly duet so intensive....reminds me of Habit Rouge of modern age
    Breath of God was like breath of himalaya on my neck......i think they make really great scents very natural smelling! i can wear them just because of that...

i dont like the looks of the bottles though

the new frags...i would looooooove to try

I love 20:54 or whatever it's called. Not happy about the price increase though. Everybody's jumping on the let's-milk-the-fragheads wagon. I'm not buying, sorry!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

BOG and Dirty grew on me. Happy to try some more.

The Voice Of Reason, The Bug and Devil Nightcap have been HUGE winners in my book. They're quite potent, well done and, yes, original. My full breakdwon to follow soon....

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    The Voice Of Reason, The Bug and Devil Nightcap have been HUGE winners in my book. They're quite potent, well done and, yes, original. My full breakdwon to follow soon....
    When you say "quite potent" do you feel that these are truly EDP strength? And, are they EDPs with monster longevity? If so, I gues one could justify the price increase - if not, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    When you say "quite potent" do you feel that these are truly EDP strength? And, are they EDPs with monster longevity? If so, I gues one could justify the price increase - if not, eh.
    Yes! The testers in the shop have droppers. A single drop of Devil Nightcap lasted me the whole day. The SA told me they're in parfum strength but when I checked on-line to find out more infos, I haven't been able to understand if they are really parfums or not. Whatever, they're definitely good.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, a little update. I got 5 full assorted bottles (Hellstone, The Bug, Devils Nightcap, The Voice of Reason and Sun) and with the exception of Sun which is an Eau De Cologne, the others are all clearly labelled as "Perfume".

I'm a LUSH store employee, and had a training session for the new fragrances today- it left me enthusiastic enough to actually register on here, instead of my usual lurking.

Hellstone - which to me was a warm, spicy vetiver fragrance with a dash of cumin and a waxy/papery texture. It's wierd, but good. Not sure whether I'd wear it.
    - I agree about it being weird, it smelled a bit Body Odour-ish to me (and some of my friends) from the bottle, and on the tester card. But that mellowed out on me, and I was left with something spicy, earthy, smoky and masculine. The spicy, smokiness of it was a lot more pronounced on me than on the 3 other people who tried it with me- they were all female, so maybe it's a body chemistry thing. I got spousal approval on it when I got home.

I love 20:54 or whatever it's called. Not happy about the price increase though. Everybody's jumping on the let's-milk-the-fragheads wagon. I'm not buying, sorry!
    - 25:43! It's apparently the time it took Mark Constantine to create that one. I only just noticed the pricing of the new ones. If everything they tell us about how many/much essential oils they use compared to a lot of other perfumes is true, then it's probably similar value-for-money compared to other LUSH products (however you may feel about that). For what it's worth, I don't think we're getting our staff discount on the new perfumes for a few months, and I may cave in and buy Hellstone before that. I'll be interested to see the manufacturing price when my store is finally able to order some in (alas, I won't be able to share that with anyone. But I've yet to go to work feeling like a conman or purveyor of snake oil, except when I'm selling the Snake Oil bar...).

For some reason, Devils Nightcap didn't really register on me. I smelt it from the bottle, on card and on my arm, and I barely picked anything up (everyone else could smell it), so it seems to be in some kind of fragrance blind spot that I didn't know I had.
    Sikkim Girls, Furze and The Bug appeal to me too.
    Last edited by BradneyJ; 12th February 2013 at 04:55 AM. Reason: I cannot grammar today, I have the dumb.

Blog Entries

l finally got around to trying Furze & Sikkim Girls today, & l'm mightily impressed with Sikkim Girls. See this month's Sample of the Day thread for my full impressions.

The Bug was my favorite of this range so far; strongly considered a purchase of that and Voice of Reason last week. I didn't get greaty longevity from my test wearings, and that kept me from purchasing any.

This looks like a UK version of a Slumberhouse.

http://www.lush.ca/New-Gorilla-Perfu...,en_CA,sc.html

quite a range in pricing.
    Last edited by outline; 13th May 2013 at 09:13 PM.