Code of Conduct

Default Drakkar Noir??? Not even close.

Before I got into powerhouse fragrances I remember smelling a vintage bottle of Drakkar Noir and thinking how cloying it was due to it's strength. Def not a bad scent but just to overpowering. Fast forward to 2012 and Oh how I wish they would bring it back. At the time I did not respect it's true beauty but since I started collecting true powerhouse fragrances i thought I would give the new formula of Drakkar noir a chance. Let me say the new formula is not bad it still has the Drakkar Noir feel but you have to agree that it's not the same in strength. I was quite dissapointed in it. I bought a bottle that was created in 2011 and the longevity on me was 4 hrs top and it seems the overall structure of the scent is sweeter. Distraught over my findings I had read reviews that Caesar man smelled like vintage Drakkar noir. I bought a bottle of Caesar and the top notes do smell like Drakkar Noir but the middle and base notes ruin it for me. They are just way to sweet and cloying. Alas Lomani Pour Homme comes on the scene. I read some reviews on basenotes and other sites claiming how good Lomani portrayed Drakkar noir. Some say it reminded them of coolwater but I don't link Lomani with coolwater whatsoever. In my opinion Lomani does a very good job of portraying vintage Drakkar Noir than the new formula Drakkar and Caesar. The thing I like about Lomani Is when you first apply this you get this rush of lavender that hits right on with Drakkar Noir but the real beauty shines is when you get to the middle and base notes. It transitiones into this darker rugged feel where the new formula of Drakkar and Caesar stay sickly sweet. I have owned all three of these scents and depending on where you buy these and the size of the bottles Drakkar is anywhere between 15-65 dollars where Caesar is 10- 20 dollars and I bought my 3.3 OZ of Lomani For under 10 bucks. I have tested out all three of these fragrance and the one that got me two compliments back to back is Lomani Pour Homme. A truly great fragrance that I can not say enough about. An unbelievable fragrance for it's price. What do you guys think of Lomani compared too the other guys? If all three are structured the same why did Lomani get me the compliments? The new Drakkar Noir is not even close to powerhouse strength so for now Lomani Pour Homme is my choice. Thanks for reading and look forward to your insights.

Default Re: Drakkar Noir??? Not even close.

All I can say is that Lomani Pour Homme is very good for its rice point between $5-$10 for a large bottle.

i have all three- none of them vintage- and lomani is my LEAST favorite out of the trio. ceasars man is best to my nose. drakkar... well, its really not that great anymore. BUT- my opinions have been known to change!

Similar to you, I was underwhelmed by the current version of Drakkar Noir and explored alterante options.

Haven't yet tried Caesars, but it is on my longterm list. Lomani is superb I agree, only discovered it after reading about it here, purchased a bottle online for less than €10, cannot believe how good it is at that price, and how closely the opening mirrors my memories of Drakkar Noir. Have since purchased a further 3 bottles!

wow! i just get lemon pledge out of lomani. maybe i need to apply more...

Dependent

I find Lomani to be significantly different from Drakkar Noir. It doesn't have the overbearing (and disgusting imo) dihydromyrcenol (metallic citric-floral) overdose or birch tar "leather" of Drakkar -- though Lomani does have the lavender and coriander, which is the stuff I like. If I'm going out anywhere but the gym, I'll usually do 8-15 sprays and let the big top notes dissipate for 15 minutes or so. Here's my review of Lomani:

++++

When one tires of classical music, fine damask, demurely sophisticated ladies, and haute cuisine, the radio dial turns to some heavy, uncomplicated guitar riffs and lyrics that speak of sex, drugs, and rock & roll. Pull up to the drive-thru, get a juicy burger, crispy fries, and real ice cream shake from the best fast food joint in town, and turn that mother up. Growl your eight-cylinder down the boulevard and shake the booties of the local honies. Sometimes, that's just what the doctor ordered.

Lomani pour Homme's opening blast is 80s all the way -- the barrier to entry to see if you're cool enough to join the gang. The catch is lemon plus camphor, or to some noses, floor cleaner. It's so sharp and crude that it scares away all the wusses who can't handle your bright orange muscle car. But there is a balance to it: something resembling the bitter flavor of lemon zest with its green stem, with just enough stimulating synthetic feel to make it glisten. The star of the composition is coriander seed, one of my favorite spices in both food and fragrance. Its lemony softness is just right in Lomani, forming an effective bridge between the sharp opening and later phases. The drydown offers the simple pleasures of a barely sweetened moss and coumarin with a touch of manly patchouli: perhaps the most satisfying fougere base out there. That guy in the camaro actually gardens, what do you know!

Note: this review is of the new juice, presumably with less oakmoss (and more tree moss?) than the vintage. While dirt-cheap, it is not particularly potent, so apply liberally and often: the base notes are underdosed. Layer away my friends. And give your 440cc an extra rev or two for Mssr. Lomani.

Thanks for the review @Monkeybars..... Good stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy97 View Post
    Similar to you, I was underwhelmed by the current version of Drakkar Noir and explored alterante options.

Haven't yet tried Caesars, but it is on my longterm list. Lomani is superb I agree, only discovered it after reading about it here, purchased a bottle online for less than €10, cannot believe how good it is at that price, and how closely the opening mirrors my memories of Drakkar Noir. Have since purchased a further 3 bottles!
    I was really really surprised by Lomani.... I would never have guessed that a fragrance less than $10 could out do a fragrance triple the price and even smell better imo. Also, if you ever get around to smelling Caesars let me know what you think. It's def of the same structure of Drakkar and Lomani but imo its way sweeter than the two and that is what turned me off from it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    wow! i just get lemon pledge out of lomani. maybe i need to apply more...
    How many sprays do you usually apply?