Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Mini Pass: The Three Tuberoses of Histoires de Parfums

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    Dear Ozjon701, it's so nice of you to drop in and share your opinions with us. Of course you may! Thanks!!! . And I actually shared SOTD with you yesterday - I also wore Capricieuse! I didn't have a chance to try Tubereuse Criminelle, unfortunately. Is it stronger than these three? I have tried original Vie de Chateau, but not the intense version; I don't remember picking up on tobacco, maybe the intense version has more of it? Is a full bottle of either Capricieuse or Animale is in your future ? I think I am asking too many questions...
    Tubereuse Criminelle is certainly denser than these as you might expect from Serge Lutens and a harder wear I would say. VdCI is not a tobacco prominent scent either by any means but it lurks in the shadows. When I put Animale on it brought VdCI to my mind immediately but I couldn't say which note is doing that, possibly the grass. Can't see any of these being a purchase as nice as they are though, I'm happy with TC for my tuberose fix.

Thanks for dropping in, Ozjon701, really enjoyed reading your thoughts! I think you're right, these scents are not really for those who want a tuberose fix. There are plenty of whoppers out there that probably do that better. But these are fantastic for people like me, who really have no desire to be anywhere near a tuberose! Still can't believe how much I can enjoy this note when smoothed out by other notes. What a learning experience!

There, there, Whitefluffy, don't let Virginale get her feelings hurt! I do think it's just as good as the others even though the notes are not my preference. You know coming from me, that's a huge compliment! And I suspect cn may like it even better than I did. Love your description of it as "bridal"; I totally agree. Wouldn't it make such a pretty wedding scent? How come the brides at the weddings I've attended never smelled like that?! Would have been an enormous improvement in some cases!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Thank you PerfumedLady, for defending Virginale! You read my mind - I do have high hopes for Virginale to appeal to CN (No pressure there, CN ). I have a distinct feeling that Virginale just might be my next purchase, I think Capricieuse can take care of itself...Though in the end I will most likely have all three

CN - don't be afraid...it will be alright...sending you enabling vibes. Unfortunately, I am just too selfish and can't let you spare us your detailed and wonderful descriptions.

Ozjon701 - I think I understand why Animale made you think of VdC, it might be the grassy note. And as I understand it, TC is a tuberose powerhouse - for most of us ("tuberose challenged" folk) it might be a bit much. But I will have to try it one day, nevertheless.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Congrats, PerfumedLady on your purchase. I coudn't agree more with your description - the iris/tuberose combo is a knock-out! I have a 14ml bottle of Capriceuse which I've been jealously guarding. Just the other day when I had it on my wife told me I smelled wonderful. Now I'm itching to get a 2 oz as the half empty bottle is making me anxious.

Thanks so much, Diamondflame! Completely understand why your wife was compelled to compliment you, she must have gotten a whiff of that gorgeous sillage! Had a peek at your wardrobe and we seem to like the same types of iris scents, a happy discovery! You already have quite a beautiful HdP collection going; this one will be an excellent addition! Would think Capriceuse should be fantastic on a man's skin. And it's been a long time since I've smelled a scent I found as original as this one.

Hello everyone! I have two announcements to make:

First - Lovely Foustie will be joining us on this tuberose ride. Yay!!!

Second - I will be beyond reach of Internet and civilization this week, but please feel free to post and discuss. I am mighty itchy to read CN's impressions .

PerfumedLady - I believe Diamondflame is fellow Iris admirer - I remember his kind suggestions when I set out on my Iris adventure. We both also waiting on the split for Iris 39 to fill up, which is taking forever unfortunately. I agree that Capricieuse would be fantastic on a man's skin - it also dries down beautifully on clothes. I was doing laundry the other day and one of my shirts had Capricieuse on it - I couldn't bring myself to toss it in a wash. Next time...

Now what's this talk? Lol..sorry, I just don't do tuberose. I got a bottle of Poison a while back mainly cause I used to wear it all the time in the 90's but I noticed the scent isn't what it used to be for me..for some reason. Something about it was really putting me off each time I sprayed it on..then after sniffing tuberose scents, it was, in Brad Pitt's terms, inevitable, lol.. I realized I can't stand tuberose. Honestly, I've noticed I've hardly touched my Poison bottle. Last time I wore it..I noticed those white flowers even more and wanted to wash it off. But it's still a little more tolerable than Fracas(at least for a little while, lol) to me cause of those other notes that are strong to my nose..like honey, cinnamon, smoke and anise. But ya, I don't have the love I used to for it. I tried telling myself..it's the classics of all classics and maybe it's not that bad but ya..I couldn't deny..the tuberose, gosh, I can't stand it. It's just awful. It's way over the top and I want to wash it off after a bit. lol. LOL, it's like Christian Dior even knew how bad tuberose is and blended 20 other notes in it to try to make it not as bad. LOL. They did a good job..cause I get a lot of smoky, spicy, honeyed licorice and plum..but yes, there is something on top there that is really strong that puts me off and won't go away, that tuberose. I think the only reason I am keeping the bottle is cause, well, it's Poison and a classic.

But I don't mean to be a tuberose troll, lol..you all have fun sniffing.
    Last edited by kalli; 21st November 2012 at 09:17 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Oh, Kalli, you are missing out. These three are not your usual tuberose at all, at all, at all. Aren't you even a little bit curious?

Not really, LOL! But thanks though!.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Default Re: Mini Pass: The Three Tuberoses of Histoires de Parfums (USA)

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    #3 Animale- do like the blond tobacco here. Immortelle is not as heavy or sweet as in some immortelle scents I've tried and makes a striking and curious blend with the at times rubbery tuberose. Don't usually like that aspect but here I do. I could see this becoming quite animalic on me in the hot weather. Absolutely love the honeyed, woody, leathery drydown. Could not stop sniffing this one.

And finally, the one that surprised me the most- and I surprised myself by buying!:
    #1 Capricieuse- powdery iris tuberose heaven! What an amazing work of art. Don't pick out the saffron, unless it's the elementary school "tub o' paste" note darkdreams referred to. I get that, too and strongly. Sounds weird and up close, it is a bit strange. It's in the sillage that this shows it's true beauty. Sampled this on a very active day and glad I did, body heat puffs out the most incredible wafts of vaguely spicy, iris tinged tuberose and lightly cocoa dusted suede. Iris here is excellent quality; at times doughy, at others make-upy and powdery. Tuberose is plenty prominent to my nose and I love it. I think cn and jujy will like this; also made me think of Foustie. And even though Mimi can do some whopping white florals, I think this could impress her as well. I can see this becoming a BN darling if enough people try it. So, totally out of character for me to jump so soon but yes, I ordered a bottle! On its way now. No guilt, either; this is unlike any scent I own and now I have something for those days that perfume-wise, I have "nothing to wear". When I need to step out of my box, Capricieuse will be there for me.

These are all so masterful! Unique compositions to be sure, I've never smelled anything quite like them. Never dreamed I'd own a scent called Tubereuse Anything. These are all just so unbelievably good!
    I have been thinking about sampling these three Histories de Parfums for a while now, but this thread - especially Perfumedlady's post above - has pushed me over the edge: my next sample order from FiF will definitely include Capricieuse and Animale!

That's fantastic, Plaisir! This thread just keeps on claiming victims! Come on back and tell us what you think once you try them! More opinions in these sample pass threads is always better!

Welcome, Foustie, my darlin'! I'm so excited to hear you're joining us! Whitefluffy says when she first tried Capricieuse, she thought of me. Then my first sampling made me think of you! We shall see if I was right!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 22nd November 2012 at 02:30 PM.

Hello! I am sorry for the delay in reporting back! All sorts of things have kept me tied up lately. Here are my impressions on Tuberoses 1 and 2… moving on to number 3 shortly and popping it in the mail in a few days.

Capricieuse seemed misleadingly named to me, as it did not give a sense of something fickle or flippant. To my nose, it opens like a warm, maternal hand, gloved in soft leather and scented with makeup and perfume, lovingly proffering goodies on a cold day. The immediate cloud of iris, in its rooty, powdery glory, dusted lightly with cocoa and vanilla, was very reminiscent of the drydown of the original Dior Homme. There is a slightly oily and coniferous resin atop the beautiful aroma of soft kid leather. It vaguely reminded me of L’Heure Bleue, but not at all of tuberose! After a few minutes, the tiniest hint of something floral became apparent. In combination with the powdery iris and leather, the scent began to take on the delicious scent of makeup in a leather purse. The fragrance grew a little sweeter, and fruity, perhaps like plum or stone fruit, tempered with an herbal element, like anise or absinthe. The herbal dryness and sweetness had a dry, candy dust feel. After about 5-10 minutes, the scent was so very faint on my skin. I was feeling disappointed and sad, wondering if I had grown anosmic from oversniffing or if my skin ate it, when a beautiful floral scent began wafting up from my wrist, surprisingly like a tuberose, and faint but growing sweeter and stronger. The tuberose was beautiful, like fresh flowers on the stem on a sunny day. The leather miraculously reappeared (or my nose sensed it again!) and there was also the tiny, acidic bite of citrus. An inky note popped up, and there was also something like the salty inedible starchiness of playdough. Some saffron colored the leather, giving a drier, warmer feel. The tuberose continued to gain strength and was glorious wafting up from my wrist. The heart continued as this wonderful tuberose, made more tropical by some ylang ylang, yet not too sweet or heavy. The scent retained some dry, dusty, herbal elements as the leather softened a bit. It reminded me of something that I could not place—perhaps s little like Gardenia Passion or Ysatis, but still different. The tuberose felt a bit 80’s, and it took on a harder edge, an element that I can only describe as a hairspray like note. This was not too strong or offensive, and as the drydown began, a greenness became apparent. The drydown was gorgeous, a soapy, slightly sweet green galbanum.

Virginale did not strike me as very virginal—the immediate blast of sweet, gummy fruity, floral, over a smattering of cleaned up patchouli made me think of Allure Sensuelle, and girls clubbing wearing more layers of makeup than clothing. There was some sort of spicy, sweet vanilla giving an oriental feel. The opening was actually rather nice for the fruitchouli/floriental genre. As with Capricieuse, there was initially no discernible tuberose at all. On my skin, the scent started to change into something sharp and synthetic, like the scent used to disguise the chemical stench of hair permanent solutions. This unpleasant scent was thankfully transitory and some white flowers, perhaps orange flower and tuberose finally became apparent. The florals were nice and sweet, with a tiny bit of powder and perhaps anise. It reminded me of the hard shell of a licorice jelly bean. The sweet, almost hard candy like scent continued and then became a bit waxier, but still remained a little synthetic. This seemed to comprise the heart of the fragrance on my skin. It was nice, but ultimately the traces of a synthetic, hair product like note make it less than enjoyable. It reminded me again of some 80’s scent that I cannot place. After about an hour or so, it was very light and had a bit of fruity grape or something similar. The drydown was mostly a light baby powder like scent; I am not very fond of the smell of baby powder.

Of the two, I definitely enjoyed Capricieuse more. I found it interesting that they seemed so misnamed to me. To me, Capricieuse was not capricious in the slightest, but more a solid and comforting scent, while Virginale struck me as a flaky little thing with too much hairspray after the cute initial impression. I am interested to try Animale! To my nose, it seems like the Tuberose of HdP has similar elements, such as the herbal or anise note and the hard, chemical smell to differing levels. In Virginale, this was definitely not my favorite take on Tuberose! And here I was shaking in my boots that I would have to fight off the urge to make three impulse buys! Lol! However, I do find Capricieuse *is* FB worthy, but for the lovely iris and leather woven throughout this interesting tuberose.

I'm looking forward to sampling them each time I visit this thread!

Aww Whitefluffy, we guessed wrong about cn and Virginale! That's ok, still more samplers- it can find love yet!

Excellent sniffin' and reviews as always, cn! I'm curious to know why Tubereuse 1 is called "Capricieuse", I've wondered if there's an angle I'm not considering. I have to agree, it doesn't seem capricious at all to me! I guessed right about this one; I just knew you'd like it! And I did think the iris and leather specifically would get to you. It is a very original leather scent.

My bottle arrived and I note some differences in Capricieuse when sprayed vs. dabbed. The elementary school paste note we talked about is not nearly as pronounced when sprayed and the suede much more so. In fact, it's mainly suede to me throughout the opening stages when sprayed. With dabbing, I could sense the florals much sooner. Same beautiful sillage either way. I like and will probably use both application methods. I'm a happy girl!

Aww Whitefluffy, we guessed wrong about cn and Virginale! That's ok, still more samplers- it can find love yet!

Excellent sniffin' and reviews as always, cn! I'm curious to know why Tubereuse 1 is called "Capricieuse", I've wondered if there's an angle I'm not considering. I have to agree, it doesn't seem capricious at all to me! I guessed right about this one; I just knew you'd like it! And I did think the iris and leather specifically would get to you. It is a very original leather scent.

My bottle arrived and I note some differences in Capricieuse when sprayed vs. dabbed. The elementary school paste note we talked about is not nearly as pronounced when sprayed and the suede much more so. In fact, it's mainly suede to me throughout the opening stages when sprayed. With dabbing, I could sense the florals much sooner. Same beautiful sillage either way. I like and will probably use both application methods. I'm a happy girl!
    Enjoy every dab and spray of it honey!

Thank you, lucasai- let's hope I don't dab and spray so much that my bottle goes too fast! I love the progression of this scent, which of course tempts me to keep applying so I can enjoy the ride all over again!

Aaaawwww, indeead. I had such high hopes for CN and Virginale, but I agree, at come across as less serious and mature than other two. To me Virginale is innocence, while to the others it reads as immature airhead . But it's OK, more for me...

I agree with all of you that Carpicieuse is not a fitting name at all, for this is gorgeous scent with plenty of class and character. It also reads as belonging on a lady of very fine breeding and impeccable manners who also has a lot of heart (ahem, I think we all know whom I talking about ).

CN Thank you so much for your reviews, they are a great asset to this thread! Your impressions of Capricieuse almost moved me to run to my closet and apply it generously. However, I am just freshly out of the Shalimar cloud, and Shalimar does not deserve such treatment. But when I will wear it next time, I will relived it together with your review!

PerfumedLady - I noticed the differences too in Capricieuse when sprayed vs dabbed. When dabbed I get more Iris, but when sprayed, just like you, I pick up more suede. Thank goodness for decants, where we can experience it both ways!
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 3rd December 2012 at 08:45 PM.

Whitefluffy, your words are sweeter than I deserve but I will take them and thank you anyway! Just for that, I'm making you a little roller ball of Capricieuse so you can dab to your heart's content!

Banned

I adore tuberose
    Its so exotic flower, so full and rounded, the best for me so far is in Sacrebleu, because its not just tuberose its about all others too:-) so perfect mix for me and top notes orange,mandarins and fruits its so refreshing sweet, and woody nothing irritating at all

But Poison, is also so so sooo good:-) , rich complex heavy yes but you have to endure 2 hours then it gets so very nice, yumie, thats only for going out :-)

Hi, iivanita, thanks for dropping by! You have no idea how bad I wanted to try Sacrebleu, I would be even willing to buy it blind; but unfortunately we have here in US only the intense version, and I really want to try the original. In my experience, original is usually the best. I also noticed we have a lot on common, AND I met very nice girl from Croatia while camping at the hot springs and she was so nice as to give me the first pomegranate from the tree she planted with her (boyfriend, fiancee, husband?) to me. It was so sweet! I feel terrible for not asking her name and contact information. Damn, I regret that!

PerfumedLady - my words are exactly what you deserve, if not more and I am wearing Capricieuse tonight in your honor. Thank you for your kind offer, that's very sweet of you! Please don't short yourself on Capricieuse, but I would appreciate the roller ball bottle, thanks!!!

Banned

hey Whitey!! i can send you a sample to try it!!

...i have tried both fragrances!! i tested Sacrebleu Intense but the sales guy did not tell me this, and i was thinking i tried Sacrebleu, then next day i came to the shop to buy it, and only then i found out i tried the intense version!!

i thought the same as you that original is better then i could not decide, i fell in love with Intense version, but was reading all about Sacrebleu....and in the end i bought 1st version (was also cheaper ) and compared them.....

Intense is really more intense at the beginning, its more sweet, more vanilla or tonka bean, while Sacrebleu has more fresh mandarin citrusy opening, and thats where i liked it better ....right after that it felt much "woody" and "thinner" in a way...but in the end i saw they converge after 2 hours Intense becomes the same as 1st one, or maybe even lighter ....

and after wearing my Sacrebleu i got used to it, and like it, and think Intense would maybe be too much at the beginning .....but when i bought it i was thinking i should have gone with the intense becasue thats where i fell for it hehe

so now i think whichever you have is the same , becasue that characteristic smell i did not sense anywhere else! its not like all sweet perfumes, whate amazed me there is that unusual smell of sweat thing but its not giving headache....
    Last edited by iivanita; 4th December 2012 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks for the info, iivanita! And thank you for your generous offer, but judging by your descriptions I can get an Intense version and should get a pretty good idea. Don't worry about sending me anything, that's a long way!

<popping head into the doorway, looking sheepishly at the party> I’m so sorry that I have been the slowest sniffer with this pass! Ugh! I wish I could think of a way to make it up to you folks. This week was unexpectedly brutal, and I just got to try Animale tonight. I’m sniffing right now as a matter of fact! It’s very yummy…. I’ll write up my notes more coherently and post again soon.

Anyway, my lovely WF and PL, after sniffing Virginale, I was disappointed a bit too! I was so excited about it, as you are both right, and I *do* love pure, girly florals like the various Goutals and also many of the relatively unpopular Aqua Allegorias… I think I bring out the weird chemical note in perfumes sometimes; that, and cumin! Anyway, I really liked the fruitchouli beginning, and I must disclose that I *do* own a partial bottle of Allure Sensuelle! And, just to clarify, I’m not bashing the club girls either! I had a fun group of girlfriends in college who probably fit that stereotype. .. that’ just not where I am at this point in life.

I’m still trying to figure out the logic behind Capricieuse’s name. I guess if I had to argue it, I would guess that the switcheroo from the beautiful iris/leather to the wonderful enveloping tuberose with soapy green drydown might justify the name?

Ok, more soon on Animale! I’m really enjoying it so far!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I am truly an Animale lover! It was definitely love at first sniff with Animale. (Hmmm, that sounds kinda gross actually…lol!) The sweet, “old fashioned” richness of the scent bowled me over. It reminded me a little of Arpege, but at the same time, modern with a gummy, fruity, grapelike scent blended smoothly into the classic, creamy florals—perhaps rose, jasmine, ylang ylang? The tuberose became apparent more quickly than with the other two, a lovely, green iteration of the flower. Despite the name, the civet note was woven in lightly, and married nicely with a soapy clean element too. Some powdery notes and the slightest bit of leather rounded out the scent further. It grew sweet and balmy but never became cloying or sticky. The civet note strengthened a bit and a cool, sharp note emerged that I later realized as the “plum” in the fragrance. (I don’t know why this sort of plum always escapes me and at best I sense the coolness/sharpness!) Some wonderful dry grassy herbs, and tobacco made a lovely appearance. Buttery, exotic white flowers (tuberose, ginger flower, jasmine?) and leather were amplified a bit. As it evolved, something light, familiar and delightful struck me and I could not place it immediately, but then recalled reading earlier that immortelle was one of the notes, so perhaps this was the source of my pleasure. The fragrance maintained a very classical, old fashioned feel throughout and the dry down was just as beautiful as the opening and heart; it carried a dry, spicy tobacco, “clean” civet, and warm, amber inflected creamy tuberose until the very end. Longevity on this one was best of all three, and lasted well over 4 hours, though was very light and had no sillage at that point.

I did not get any citrus at all, though various are mentioned in the notes. This is definitely my favorite of the bunch, and it is moving to the top of my buy list. It feels very “me” but I also think this would be fabulous on a man. It is really, really delish.

Thank you, Whitefluffy, for sharing this very interesting and unique trio, and for this wonderful opportunity! I think I am really going to have to add Capricieuse and a big bottle of Animale to my collection sooner rather than later… Animale also seems back-up-bottle worthy!!! I wonder if Animale will get some more love from a few of the other sniffers coming up… I’m thinking of two in particular!

These lovelies will be in the mail ASAP.
    Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 9th December 2012 at 07:50 AM.

Oh, I am so glad that at least one of the three got your attention! I should have guessed from your love for Fumerie Turque that you might prefer Animale above others; and no, it's not gross at all to be in love with it. I don't think it smells particularly animalic but I love its darkness, richness, but at the same time surprising coziness contributed most likely by tobacco and immortelle.

On a subject of immortelle (wearing off again) I have been drinking tea with its flowers since my childhood, but I discovered that it's quite difficult to find in the States .

Thank you, CN, for your wonderful reviews, I am extremely happy that you found a new love here as well!

Update: USPS seems afflicted with the usual problems. Delivery confirmation has not updated and only shows the initial entry. This has happened multiple times recently, and most times the package arrived safely and updated somewhere along the way... I expected Jujy to receive the lovely samples last week; when that didn’t happen, I hoped for a very small “miracle” today, (in the spirit of the holiday!) but alas that has not occurred either. Hopefully, the package was just delayed by the holiday mail crunch, on top of the usual USPS issues and nothing worse. I don’t know what else to do, but if it does not find its way soon, I will do whatever I can to replace everything. (I am not sure where I can find such an adorable box, though, so WF may need to advise on that aspect.)

Hi, CN! Don't worry, I am sure the samples will show up soon. With all these holidays, it might take longer than usual .

WF, you were right! The package surfaced/re-surfaced at the local USPS and the horrid sorting center (aka mail purgatory) and shows that it is out for delivery today to Jujy!!! I only hope that it is none the worse for the wear... I'm anxious to hear Jujy's report on the condition of the package.

...and no, it's not gross at all to be in love with it...
    Oh, WF, you are so sweet. I meant that my phrasing in my review, "love at first sniff" in conjunction with the name Animale sounded gross-- but I do go to the dog park a lot, so it conjures certain images, if you can imagine! LOL! Animale is wonderful and not gross in the least!

queen of the universe

cestrum n, the package arrived! As it happens, I picked up Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia at TJ Maxx today for $14.99, all green stems and butterscotch, most alluringly. Tomorrow I will start in on this beautifully packed sample pass. Thank you!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    cestrum n, the package arrived! As it happens, I picked up Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia at TJ Maxx today for $14.99, all green stems and butterscotch, most alluringly. Tomorrow I will start in on this beautifully packed sample pass. Thank you!
    So glad to see this thread is still alive! This trio was a real game changer for me on tuberose scents. Looking forward to your reviews!

Yay! I am so happy that samples showed up and this thread is revived. My deepest sympathy to CN and her stressful dealings with USPS. But all is well that ends well, it will take a lot to stop a tuberose pass.

Me three, so happy to see this up and running again! I saw a bit of jujy's thoughts on Virginale but am really dying to see what she'll think of the others!

USPS caused me panic with the Goutals, too cn. Was right there with you!

queen of the universe

Good evening, everyone.

Wow. There is more to tuberose than Fracas and Uncle Serge's over-the-top Tubereuse Criminelle. Enter HDP.

As Perfumed Lady noted, I did give Virginale a mention in Synchronized Fridays. Wearing it again tonight on my left forearm, also having a second wear of Capricieuese on L inner arm and Animale on R inner arm. At arm's length, the meld is intoxiating, with Virginale giving wat to her more forthright experienced sisters.

So, Virginale: green, as in inexperienced, unspoiled, yet to be despoiled, and green as in the green parts of plants, stems and leaves. This strikes me as tuberose without her frequent chaperones, gardenia and jasmine. I don't get the full out camphorous smell of Luten's Tubereuse Criminelle, though I do get just enough of a cool rush at the beginning to temper the sweetness that follows, further tempered by stem and leafy greenness. I have never smelld an actual tuberose blossom—I have both gardenia and jasmine—and I wonder if this comes close to the smell of the blossom. As it dries down, a little inky rubber slips through, Overall, this is an innocent but notuncomplcated floral.

Capricieuse: I don't catch caprice, unless one considers its etymological relative, the goat, for this has a certain gaminess to it. I find it more animalic than Animale in fact. First impression is plastic doll head all right. Later, leather, saddle leather, a saddle that has been sat upon, maybe by Lady Godiva(oh, naughty me!). It is nearly that naughty, but—and here is the caprice—for all its bodily unwashed underwear suggestion, it has just enough artifice to suggest the winking eye of a Fragonard damsel. A tease, but an up-close tease. This is a skin scent I could get used to.

Animale hit me right off the bat with ineffable nostalgia, which is to say it took me back to being a little kid, and my mom's dresser tray. After a little thought and daubing some vintage Fabergé Flambeau, I connected it to whatever that distinctive 1960s and 70s Fabergé accord contained, cinnamon amongst other things. Tuberose, pipe tobacco and cinnamon, comforting domesticated sensuality. When I hold up both inner arms and inhale Animale and Capricieuse together, I am somehow reminded of vintage Miss Dior. I did a quick sniff of Miss D, and feel that cumin and tuberose are the unifying elements.

Taken together, I understand tuberose anew. I have had trouble distinguishing it from gardenia in the past, and now feel I can identify tuberose by its contradictory nature, cool and warm, buttery and astringent, too much and elusive all at once.

Do I pass this on? Virginale is spent (I should probably rephrase that!), there is a generous amount of the other two.

Thank you for this wonderful sample pass!

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I wrote my impressions before reading others'; just want to add that, yes, there is iris in Capricieuse. I wore Iris Ganache this morning in memory of my dad on the one year anniversary of his passing, and they are very similar irises, earthy and close to the skin.

Thank you for impressions, jujy! It appears that of the three you liked Animale the best? I agree with you that most of the time tuberose is accompanied by jasmine, gardenia, orange blossom and other white flowers, but these three are quite something different. I also thrilled to see that Virginale got the "unspoiled" associations from you as I feel the same way.

I think the best course of action probably would be for samples to be mailed back to me and I will replenish everything that is getting low.

queen of the universe

Will do, WF!

Yay! I am so happy that samples showed up and this thread is revived. My deepest sympathy to CN and her stressful dealings with USPS. But all is well that ends well, it will take a lot to stop a tuberose pass.
    Me three, so happy to see this up and running again! ... USPS caused me panic with the Goutals, too cn. Was right there with you!
    Thank you again for being so understanding, WF, and thank you for your commiseration, PL! I feel awful that this pass got so behind schedule. The mail service has gotten so bad, I often try to mail from a different city, in the hopes of avoiding the bad service at the local office and the sorting center a few zip codes away. I tried to do that with this package, and I actually stopped at four different PO’s on my way home over the course of a few days. The USPS website is woefully out of date and inaccurate regarding hours and available services, and every single office I checked was either locked up entirely after hours, did not have the self service kiosk, or had a broken kiosk, despite what the website reported. It was so ridiculous that I finally gave up and did a “click and ship” label online and dropped it in a mail receptacle; apparently, that was not such a great idea.

Capricieuse: I don't catch caprice, unless one considers its etymological relative, the goat, for this has a certain gaminess to it.
    Oh, I like your link to goats for Capricieuse, Jujy! I didn’t get anything gamey, but it did remind me of a soft kid leather glove.

Do I pass this on? Virginale is spent (I should probably rephrase that!), there is a generous amount of the other two.
    That is so strange… When I received the samples, the level of Virginale was just slightly lower than the other two, and I sent them off in similar condition, after having used only one small dab from each. It did not appear to be leaking, and I’m sure Jujy didn’t go Jean-Nate-on-a- hot-summer- day-in-1970 with it, so I wonder if the mail misadventure was part of the problem. From Jujy’s post, I had assumed that the package arrived in good condition, but now I am worried again! I also included a fabric pouch with 4 or 5 1ml vials for you, Jujy-- I hope those were received intact, and full…

Just a quick pop in to let everyone know that tuberoses were mailed to lovely RHM.

CN It must be the post office responsible for emptying Virginale. Things like that are bound to happen when we ship so many things on Basenotes, especially if it's a part of the sample pass. I remember each time when I had to pass samples along, I would hold my breath, worrying that something might happen on route...because it can. It was no problem at all to refill Virginale, it's not like it's something rare and discontinued (And that was the ulterior motive behind this pass, to keep it from becoming rare and discontinued ).

It's just too bad that you had to suffer so much from your local post office, I remember your stories with Goutals and open (sampled) bottle of Amethyst. Maybe you need to take there some white sage sticks, smoke the place up, and sing few chants to clear that place from irresponsible post office spirits .
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 15th January 2013 at 05:03 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I am on the lookout for this package & will let everyone know when it arrives.

After getting over the holiday crazies & back to the board I finally realized how much I've been out of touch with our pass!! My apologies to our wonderful host, Whitefluffy, & the other participants! After getting my decants I have fallen totally in love with Animale. The decant is gone & I'm officially in mourning until I can snag another. Maybe it's FB time!

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post

I am truly an Animale lover! It was definitely love at first sniff with Animale. The tuberose became apparent more quickly than with the other two, a lovely, green iteration of the flower. Despite the name, the civet note was woven in lightly, and married nicely with a soapy clean element too. Some powdery notes and the slightest bit of leather rounded out the scent further. It grew sweet and balmy but never became cloying or sticky. The civet note strengthened a bit and a cool, sharp note emerged that I later realized as the “plum” in the fragrance. (I don’t know why this sort of plum always escapes me and at best I sense the coolness/sharpness!) Some wonderful dry grassy herbs, and tobacco made a lovely appearance. Buttery, exotic white flowers (tuberose, ginger flower, jasmine?) and leather were amplified a bit. As it evolved, something light, familiar and delightful struck me and I could not place it immediately, but then recalled reading earlier that immortelle was one of the notes, so perhaps this was the source of my pleasure. The fragrance maintained a very classical, old fashioned feel throughout and the dry down was just as beautiful as the opening and heart; it carried a dry, spicy tobacco, “clean” civet, and warm, amber inflected creamy tuberose until the very end.

This is definitely my favorite of the bunch, and it is moving to the top of my buy list. ....It is really, really delish.
    It really is gorgeous, CN, & I go on record that I love a tuberose scent!

Animale hit me right off the bat with ineffable nostalgia, which is to say it took me back to being a little kid, and my mom's dresser tray. After a little thought and daubing some vintage Fabergé Flambeau, I connected it to whatever that distinctive 1960s and 70s Fabergé accord contained, cinnamon amongst other things. Tuberose, pipe tobacco and cinnamon, comforting domesticated sensuality.

Jujy54, your review of Animale sure struck a cord with me! I knew it reminded me of something. My sister adored Faberge back in the day & a gift set of the "famous trio" was a standard Christmas gift from me for a few years. Her favorite was Tigress, but the Flambeau was intoxicating to me! Maybe there was something there that connected with me. Good memories either way & thanks for a bit of nostalgia.

Looking forward to RHM getting the sniffs!

Banned

Hello Whitefluffy and all:-) ,
    i had an opportunity to swap my Fracas for Histories Tuberoses, and i chose 1 and 3:-) that i smelled very quickly once from the paper, but before deciding which to choose i read your descriptions:-) , but must say my quick impressions did not change now after wearing it

Tuberose 1 is simple scent, very feminine, easy to wear and likable! it opens up similar to Iris silver mist, or even more similar to Impossible Iris, but more opulent then Impos. Iris, the sweetness comes from tuberose of course , not from fruit, but this is how it is done , its under control, its not like Fracas, to me this is Iris with tuberose:-) and now about Iris

iris is not powdery at all i would never describe this scent as powdery , its like proper vegetale iris from iris silver mist, and not iris like you find in Chanels (no 22 which is so synthetic powdery compared to this, Cuir de Russie-powdery iris too etc) or like powdery Insolence edp,

and on to so much mentioned leather, it is not so prominent at all, only after 4.5 hours of wearing it the scent becomes a bit weird:-) bitter green, leathery and powdery too!, not my favourite, and this is now second Histories scent where i find that late drydown is somehow skinny:-) not so nice as it was in the beginning, like it changes for worse.....through first 2 stages smells natural, feminine and in this 3rd stage becomes more masculine and generic ( this is exactly how Rosam played on my hand yesterday)
    In stage 1 i am totally impressed.

I come back with Tuberose 3 which again in the opening smells so yummie a bit like bubble gum, something sweet childish hehe....

Overall i am so positively surprised by Histories scents....if this tuberose 3 changes to worse after 4.5 hours hm:-) .......to fix that i am thinking the price of the scent would need to go up? Because so far i thought their prices are the best among niche and they really offer great value! 1740 had better drydown then the opening, hm so maybe money is not an issue.
    Last edited by iivanita; 22nd January 2013 at 09:21 PM.

Hi, iivanita!

Thanks for droping by and sharing with us your impressions. You are right, Capricieuse is more like iris, and then tuberose. Too bad the drydown didn't work for you. Maybe try it again some other day? I noticed that some days, some scents smell different, especially tuberose ones on me.

Please do tell us what do you think of Animale!

Banned

Oh yes of course i will wear it few more times, have 5 ml of it to use:-) , overall i like it, but maybe the opening and the middle were too good and i wanted them to last forever, i was wondering what leather you all mention, because i sniffed it quickly from paper and liked it very much! And did not smell any leather:-)

And about the change of feeling toward some scents, happens quite often recently haha, but Tuberose 1, i loved it, i did not emphasise it.:-)

I would like to see this kind of analysis of scents on so many more perfumes, great thread!

Basenotes Plus

- - - Updated - - -

Every time I tried to hop on the site, it went all wonky on me. I have the package & have tried Virginale, so far.

This pass was going to be a challenge for me, as tuberose is not a note I "love". My mom & my sister wear it beautifully but I'm more of a woods & resins kind o' gal.

Virginale began as a sweet soda pop scent, a bit like 7-Up. It was sweet, fruity then a pale floral & it disappeared within an hour. My 15 year old would probably love it but it's not for me.

Interesting, isn't it, how the same scent reacts on different skin.

I'll try another & report back to the thread. Hope all the glitches get worked out.

BTW, who is to get these lovelies next?

Hi RHM, I think it's me next--I'll PM you my address (though of course no rush--take your time with these). Though everyone's awesome, thorough, and across-the-board interesting reactions have me anxious about sniffing and contributing my two cents--my nose is not up to the level of all of yours, for sure :-)

Banned

Tuberose 3

thats my kind of gal she is fat, delicious, gourmand, have you ever tried Don Corleone from Mr Durbana(profumo.it)?

that is beautiful vanilla, tuberose, tobacco smell, that smells like smoked ham!! and HdP Tuberose 3 reminded me a lot of that scent and that smoked ham feeling you get when you mix tuberose with something smoky and sweet . This is not the only thing they share...unfortunately that lovely scent i like lasts for only about 2 hours, maybe 3 and then goes to skin scent!

Tuberose 3 unlike Tuberose 1 has beautiful drydown, it is warm everlasting flower sweetened by something like creamy vanilla, its not projecting, stays close to the skin
    the opening is a blast of tobacco and sweet fruits from the top and tuberose, that is gourmand, opulent, and satisfying sweetnes, that reminds me a bit of Sacrebleu complexity, ....the tobacco note gives it special twist and makes my mouth water

i can imagine this perfume beeing worn on much hotter days then winter i love it! and could consider buying it! because i loved Don Corleone very much,and thought of why noone makes something like that, and with Tuberose 3 i get a little bit more of longevity and projection, then with 100% all natural perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by quixoticcynic View Post
    Hi RHM, I think it's me next--I'll PM you my address (though of course no rush--take your time with these). Though everyone's awesome, thorough, and across-the-board interesting reactions have me anxious about sniffing and contributing my two cents--my nose is not up to the level of all of yours, for sure :-)
    Hi, quixoticcynic. Thanks for your patience and for sticking around. Please don't feel intimidated, this is not creative writing project (though something tells me you are familiar with those ) and most of us don't have very good noses either. I usually get away with describing how perfume makes me feel, to me it's all about feeling and emotions. I rarely care about perfume's exact composition - rose, tuberose, etc. Just share with us whatever you'd like, be it one word, one sentence, or one paragraph, whatever you feel comfortable to express. These passes benefit from different points of view greatly and it's all about having fun . I do hope you will have fun with these.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 23rd January 2013 at 06:07 PM.

RHM, your girl is exactly who I thought of when I tried Virginale! She likes them sweeter than I do but I see she does have some wonderful taste, from others you've mentioned her liking.

iivanita, I wonder if you'll find Capriceuse more complex after more wearings, I know I certainly have. That suede is so prominent, much more so than I initially thought before I bought a bottle. Loved reading about your Animale adventure!

Just have fun with this, quixoticcynic! As Whitefluffy noted, you need not be an experienced sniffer to add insight and all opinions are valid. And if you'd like to become an excellent sniffer, sampling groups will get you there! I'm really looking forward to your thoughts; I always enjoy fresh noses. Newer sniffers add life to the party if you ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    - - - Updated - - -
    This pass was going to be a challenge for me, as tuberose is not a note I "love". My mom & my sister wear it beautifully but I'm more of a woods & resins kind o' gal.
    Join the crowd, RHM! I was always a "tuberose-phobe" until I tried these scents.They were the perfect gateway for me to make my peace with the note, as they present with a light touch rather than a dominance of tuberose. I'll be very interested to read about your experiences with the other two!

- - - Updated - - -

Though everyone's awesome, thorough, and across-the-board interesting reactions have me anxious about sniffing and contributing my two cents--my nose is not up to the level of all of yours, for sure :-)
    "Fake it til ya make it", quixoticcynic! I still do! Seriously though, this is for fun, education & sharing, not professional reviews. Just focus on enjoying on the scents & write about what you think about them. There is no right or wrong & no one is here to judge you. Welcome aboard!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    Tuberose 3
    thats my kind of gal she is fat, delicious, gourmand, have you ever tried Don Corleone from Mr Durbana(profumo.it)?
    My favorite of the three, Ivanita! And it does work quite well in warmer weather. I live in Florida & it's never cold here!

Basenotes Plus

RHM, your girl is exactly who I thought of when I tried Virginale! She likes them sweeter than I do but I see she does have some wonderful taste, from others you've mentioned her liking.
    You are absolutely correct. I want to have Sofie try Virginale this weekend. The girl has not been feeling 100% & it messes with her nose.

I'm going to try the next one this weekend. Dear quixotoccynic, I got your pm. Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

This pass has not changes the way I react to tuberose. It was worth a try but all in all they were just "wrong" on my skin. I didn't care for any of them.
    Tuberose turns into a plastic petroleum odor on my skin. I'm not going to go into the details but this was my post on SOTD yesterday:
    "Shortly after applying Capricieuse, my daughter asked: "Did you put on some perfume or something 'cause I have to say you don't smell so good. Smells like a giant tuberose & not in a good way!"

(For you basenotes old timers, I shared Sofie learning to ride a 2 wheeler back in 2005. Now, she critiques my perfumes and nails them.)

"Yes, honey," I said. "It's a tuberose."

"Mom, you know you can't wear tuberose. It's a scrubber!"

So, Capricieuse was removed with Tide and I settled into a lovely skankfest of original TDC Rose Poivree. Mmmmm, much better."

Time to move on.....I'll send the 3 Weird Sisters on to Q.
    Last edited by RHM; 4th February 2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added SOTD post from 2/3/13

Oh it's too bad the HdP tuberoses didn't work for you RHM. It sounds like tuberose doesn't agree with your skin, no matter the concentration. But at least, I hope, it was an educational experience for you. Thank you for being part of this pass.

Ooooo! Only one more person before me!

Hello all—I received the samples yesterday (thanks RHM!!) and am testing them all out tonight (and I. smell. awesome.) Dammit, I was hoping not to like any of these, since Tuberose generally doesn’t ‘work’ on me, though I love the scent in theory (and in a number of more expensive forms than the merely theoretical, like Diptyque candles, etc. ☺ I do love Tubereuse Criminelle, a fact I just re-discovered a week ago, so this pass is reaching me at an ideal time (though very, very much not an ideal time for my bank account…more perfumes to lust after), but that one is soo weird, so I was curious about these but had my doubts. Sadly(/awesomely), I really enjoy all three, though I don’t get much tuberose from any of them.

Capricieuse—I was most curious about this iteration, as iris/leather is right up my alley. The green opening, which quickly settled into something almost plush (ylang?), was great, but about 20 minutes in I got what I think must be the ‘kingerdarten paste’ scent described by others earlier. The paste/dough element has been a problem for me in other iris/suede scents, most disappointingly Anne Gerard’s Cuir de Nacre and (half the time) Traverse du Bosphore. So I was ready to write-off Capricieuse, but then, changeable lady that she is, the scent settled into something a bit creamier and very nice (maybe the tuberose re-asserted itself?). At this point, though, I think I can live without a decant (although earlier comments about more leather coming out when spraying it do pique my interest…).

Virginale—Great, yummy fruity-floral. It stays very sweet on me throughout, and dries down to resemble Juliette has a Gun’s Vengeance Extreme on me. (I was having trouble figuring out what it reminded me of, but I knew I’d sampled it recently. It seems so random, one being tuberose and the other being rose, but I guess my skin does weird, sweetening things to patchouli when it’s with a big floral/fruit combo.) In any case, it’s swell, though I agree with everyone else that “virginal” is an odd name for this bubbly, party-girl ‘fume. I think I would have loved this perfume in high school (where I was the mousiest girl imaginable, but rocked Gucci Rush and Chanel Chance [guilty apologies for the latter]).

Animale—Holy hell, this smells amazing!! Spices and yumminess and Christmas morning, all wrapped up in a…seriously, is there tuberose in this? I’m still missing it, but I’m loving what I’m getting (and I usually HATE immortel, so…my love for this is doubly perverse). It’s also the ultimate comfort scent, and since I have a cold (that’s miraculously left my ability to smell almost untouched), this is just perfect. It reminds me a bit of a much mellower (and, to my nose, better) PG Un Crime Exotique. And I think I want a mini…☺

Thank you SO MUCH for this pass, Whitefluffy, it’s been amazing for me, and thanks to everyone else for all the awesome responses, which have been fun to read (and learn from). Lucasai, they’re headed to you (with a few extra samples, as we discussed ☺) tomorrow!

Great impressions, quixoticcynic! I'm also not the biggest tuberose fan & agree that these aren't heavy on the note. Maybe that's why I liked them too! I've really grown to love my decant of Animale. May need to go for a FB soon.

Looks like you did it again, Whitefluffy!!!

Capricieuse—I was most curious about this iteration, as iris/leather is right up my alley.
    Well, quixoticcynic, you are right up our alley! Thanks for doing such great job and I am thrilled that you enjoyed yourself. So one more vote for Animale, heh ? I remember Gucci Rush, it was from hate to love for me, and it is quite loud! You really should post more - join us on the SOTD thread I know it will be lots of fun!

Genie Jeanie, looks like you were right! And thanks so much for chiming in and following up, it's much appreciated!

Thanks Genie Jeanie, and thanks so much for your kind words, Whitefluffy!! I'll definitely start posting more...try to more permanently de-lurk myself, and posting on the SOTD thread sounds like a great way to start! Lucasai-I didn't manage to get the samples out today, but Monday for sure. Also as an update, I'm already getting a small decant of Capricieuse, via a MUA swap :0 So thanks for the enabling!!! :-)

Thanks Genie Jeanie, and thanks so much for your kind words, Whitefluffy!! I'll definitely start posting more...try to more permanently de-lurk myself, and posting on the SOTD thread sounds like a great way to start! Lucasai-I didn't manage to get the samples out today, but Monday for sure. Also as an update, I'm already getting a small decant of Capricieuse, via a MUA swap :0 So thanks for the enabling!!! :-)
    No need to hurry, I'll wait as long as it's necessary.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you so much for this pass. Although it did not change they way my skin reacts to certain notes, it was a pleasure to try something new (& something I normally would not touch) with so little expenditure.

Everyone has been so gracious during this & the Annick Goutal pass arounds.

Thank you for including me!!!

Ginormous hugs all around!

I got the Tuberoses today!

Will start with Capricieuse tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    I got the Tuberoses today!

Will start with Capricieuse tomorrow
    Yay! I am so glad they made safely to you. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about these!

Basenotes didn't want to let me in until now... sheesh.

Tubereuse 1 Capricieuse was first in Histoires de Parfums Tuberose Trilogy for me to try. In the very beginning is smelled of very delicate suede. It was kind of creamy, there was something a little bit waxy (candle-like) to it. After a few minutes tuberose joined in and Capricieuse became more crispy, floral, wish a fresher edge. From the very beginning there was a lot of powdery sensation in this perfume and I liked it. When tuberose calmed down the smell reminded me of Kiss My Name by Ramon Monegal. Pretty and happy. Iris was surprisingly warm in Capricieuse, slightly floral and powdery. It made the powder sensation last for a long time. And I didn't notice much saffron, only some delicate hints of spicy notes. What I got and what is not listed in the notes was apricot and I think I smelled some osmanthus as well. And ylang-ylang too. The white floral phase was fresh, clean, without any special surprises. Capricieuse is really well-behaved and it lasted the whole day on my skin. I enjoyed it. Maybe I'm not in love with it and in my opinion it veers towards feminine side of perfume counter.