Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Baffled by how Creed Aventus is such a compliment getter...

I just bought a decant and it smells so...unremarkable. Other fragrances I can understand even though I don't particularly like them e.g. Le Male, DHI etc...but Aventus? It's so ridiculously average. Nothing stands out about it. The pineapple? Might aswell pour juice over myself if that's the highlight.

Default Re: Baffled by how Creed Aventus is such a compliment getter...

Doesn't matter.

It's just like a Woman.

Don't try to understand her...

Just love her...

HTH

I think it's nice, but unless the complimenter was standing next to you within seconds after you sprayed it, I don't see how they would notice it, the longevity is so poor....
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Oh look, it's this thread again.

I can understand where you are coming from, but I think Aventus is very unique (can you name a fragrance that smells just like it? I can't). It's one of those scents that's pretty polarizing, though not nearly as bad as some others. Still though, I wear it for me, not for others.

Banned

You probably have an undeveloped nose. In time it may be possible for you to appreciate Aventus. Something as good as Aventus isn't for everyone though, maybe a nice Brut or Axe is more your speed.

I feel the same way. I can see how those sweet scents get compliments, but cant figure out Aventus. But I certainly don't deny it - the ladies (including my wife) seem to really like this one.

Aventus is a special one. I don't like pineapple at all, but I love the pineapple in Aventus. For whatever reason, it gets compliments like crazy.

How a particular fragrance affects one person is very different in how it affects another. I see nothing strange about it.

I go back and forth on Aventus. Upon first sampling, I was like really? Pineapple juice on top? It just didn't seem to impress me much. Then I sniff it again..and I like the nice woods after the pineapple goes away. I like that the pineapple doesn't last long. Then again..not too impressed. Then again..I like those woods. They are pretty good. I think I would like it more concentrated..or a black version, lol. Yep, an Aventus Noir. That, I would def sample.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

The same reason why you see Aventus being "ridiculously average" is the same reason other people can think your scents are "ridiculously average". People have different noses... the worst scent to your nose can possibly blow everyone else away in a good way.

Banned

Like all art, it's subjective. I can say without a doubt, Aventus is the most magical thing I've ever smelled and have invested in an 8.4 flacon and a 4.2 bottle in the last month alone. I could probably make this my ONLY scent if I wasn't such a 'fume whore.

I'm baffled by how ANY fragrance is a compliment getter. There are only 3 types of people who compliment my fragrances.
    1. Family (they know me and are comfortable complimenting them)
    2. Friends (they know me and are comfortable complimenting them)
    3. REALLY extrovert strangers (very rare). I myself tend to be extrovert and can tell you, I don't go around telling people they smell nice, it's just a thought that runs through my head, and stays there.

Longevity is awesome on me. 12 hours + including showering. Once I showered twice in 12 hour period and I could still smell Aventus.

I also don't see the why all the compliments. Right now Creed SMW is my top compliment getter.

Banned

I own and enjoy Aventus. It must smell good to others as well, for they compliment me on it.

I only own one sample of Aventus, but I felt the same way as you--I don't see the hype. I've found that with a lot of Creeds, I love some, but the really hyped ones, GIT and Aventus, I just don't get it. I've gotten compliments on Bois du Portugal, though.

If you don't like it yourself it would seem strange to just wear it to get compliments from others, I mean you yourself are the only critic that matters when it comes to scents regardless of all the positive and negative reviews that exist on Basenotes.

If it smells average and unremarkable to you, than so be it. Save it to try again later or sell it to get your money back.

I feel bad for whoever has a batch of Aventus whose smell doesn't EXPLODE off their skin and last at least 10 hours. I have X02 and Z01 and both are not wimps. In terms of power they're the playground bullies socking John Varvatos original in the stomach and even giving their older yet weaker siblings Millesime Imperial and Silver Mountain Water wedgies. I find Aventus to be the best thing Creed has made so far. I don't think they even realized what an amazing thing it was when they mixed up that potion. It's so elegantly manly. That gorgeous fruity apple and pineapple harmonize with the smokey leather in a way that probably brought a single tear to a random muscle bound strong man somewhere in the world.

BUT as for being a compliment getter...no way. I have gotten more compliments from 24 the Fragrance Gold than with the x8 times more expensive Creed heavyweight. I love Aventus, but it's not as big a compliment getter as everyone says, at least not for me.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

For one thing it's a sillage beast. For another it smells good. Combine the two and your going to have people notice you and most likely will complement you. Easy math.

Basenotes Junkie

I have never gotten a compliment with Aventus. I've also never worn Aventus. Awesome thread though, can't wait for the next Aventus thread!

simply because a large majority of women and even men love the way it smells. It may seem unremarkable to you, and that's ok...we all don't see the same thing in many of the commonly liked frags here on BN. But, Aventus is just one of those frags that seems to have universal appeal for the majority. It's just an easy-to-like - or at least not hate - frag with good longevity, sillage and projection for most.

I've been hearing this too.
    boohoo

Aventus is the scent of God. Jesus is wearing GIT and the Holy Spirit wears Terre d'Hermes!

...and you only just begun..further adventures with that MONSTER!
    PER ASPERA AD ASTRA
    Currently wearing: High Line by Bond No. 9

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

I adore Aventus and I wear it for myself. I also love keeping a cotton ball sprayed with Aventus stashed in my top desk drawer with my iPad and my pens. God, I love being treated to a whiff of that smell every now and then while working. Aventus is the only smell I've ever come across that affects me this way. I love it.

That being said...

...Aventus is not a great compliment getter for me. I've been told I smell nice while wearing it, but I've received much more enthusiastic reactions when wearing scents like Curve ($15), Bvlgari Black ($30), Hanae Mori ($35-ish) and Gucci Pour Homme I or II ($73 each). Curve is my biggest compliment catcher by a mile, which totally cracks me up. I know that's not considered cool to admit on a site like basenotes, but it's the truth.

I learned a long time ago the difference between scents I love and scents others love on me.

In the end, it doesn't matter if Aventus is a compliment catcher or not, nor does it matter if a billion people freakishly rave about it. Really, who cares? All that matters is whether or not you like it.. If you do, wear it. If you don't, don't. Hype has no smell, so it's pointless to try smelling hype.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

I see nothing has changed in basenotesland

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    You probably have an undeveloped nose. In time it may be possible for you to appreciate Aventus. Something as good as Aventus isn't for everyone though, maybe a nice Brut or Axe is more your speed.
    Not this pretentious nonsense again. Funny, I had the exact opposite happen. The more developed my nose becomes, the more I realize how overrated Aventus is.

Have not tried it as by Creed (too expensive, making up their own history, synthetic, not real, unicorn tears, etc) but, frankly, smelling of pineapple doesn't really sound all that good to me. Might have to break my no trying Creed rule just to see what sort of pineapple smell we're talking here.

I don't understand it myself but I have witnessed it's effect on people. I know two people who wear it and women at work have purchased it for their boyfriends. They must have put pheromones in the juice, its the only way to explain it.lol
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Sound Scents

You probably have an undeveloped nose. In time it may be possible for you to appreciate Aventus.
    Or not... It does not take a developed nose to recognize that the fragrance is indeed unremarkable, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    I see nothing has changed in basenotesland
    Welcome back ;-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Yeah that makes a lot of sense since Aventus is a compliment getter and therefore appreciated by undeveloped noses as you call them. Way to shoot yourself in the foot.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Z01 batch btw if that makes a difference.