Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Vive les ringardes!

Who among us might dare to leave the Dream of Glamour and Riches behind and come along on a New Journey?

Vive les Ringardes!
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Vive les ringardes!

New Jersey, you say?

Sounds good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    Ah, Rube--You kill me. You and your "Soldes." NO. It is most definitely *NOT* --not a solde to be had any time before, during or after Fashion Week!
    So ....... zero chance of me picking up a Brioni suit for a few hundred Euro, then? You don't have some connections you could hook me up with?

I'm liking the idea of this trip a lot. Don't get me wrong - I'm not going to be wearing a Hawaiian shirt, cargo shorts, and a fanny pack. And you definitely won't see me in those Euro man-capri pants. Ringard is more a state of mind. A chance to just not think about what people might think.

What about the catacombs, though? Don't think I was joking about that. The catacombs in your ISM - it's on my bucket list now. Don't let me down.

- - - Updated - - -

Like these:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll dare.

Ah, yes. It takes a certain type to dare. A staunch independence. A kind of intrepid Faith, and an inner security, to approach the world devoid of expectations of the usual. It takes an huge amount of self confidence, and a complete lack of desire to find something specific at the end of the rainbow, to inch your way up, to climb and claw, then slide your way down, knowing that once arrived, there may be nothing save for a good time, a pocket full of two-penny bottles of the purest essences in the ugliest bottles, and a whole lot of good wine. None of you might be surprised that I am born of very exacting parents. My mother, especially, had, among things other than my signature below, this she often said: Something that stuck with me:

"It's all very well to have good taste, but bad taste might also be interesting. It's no taste at all that becomes problematic."
    Last edited by le mouchoir de monsieur; 23rd October 2012 at 01:45 PM.

MdM, I love that line from your mother. True, isn't it?

True it is, as I have found it. Sayings are sayings, but realities are quite another thing. They are true, and veritable, and we must live with them, if only for a specific period of time: So here we go, off an kind of hunt to find the right candidates to join our troupe: Dr. Redneck Perfumistico, who requires no title, Rubegon le seducteur en polyesther solde, Lilybelle la Rose Blanche, Ingami, Deesse de la Liberte, and finally, leMdm: Gatekeeper, Pied Piper and Ringmaster of the Forgotten Circus: Now accepting applications to a closed, and very exclusive club. Basenotes Meet up, this is not. This....is a meeting of the minds.

What a lovely title! I hope I can live up to it. And to everything that "daring" entails. But...a journey!! How exciting! It is irresistible.

What daring entails is quite simple. Daring, as it pans out, is less intricate than not daring. Recently I've come to this conclusion as it has been said that I have a tendency to dare very fluently: What passes as daring is what actually might come very naturally to all of us were we only inclined to allow ourselves the freedom to do and say what we wish, when it suits are purpose. Daring is fun. It's what makes like spicy and exciting. It might be something very simple. You may be daring and not even know it. Daring to have a good time, for example. It seems to me that these days it takes a bit of an adventurous, intrepid spirit to truly let loose and ride the wave of wonder, unconcerned. Here is the key. To be unconcerned what others may think, or others may do faced with your gestures. Also, to be unconcerned with potential consequences. We might want to control ourselves in different instances, when in reality we'd be just as well suited to not give a fig. People will think what they will and there's nothing at all we might do about it: Chances are they are thinking regardless of what we do. No means to control that. We may decide to back out of the prepaid parachute drop into Burning Man next August: The money is spent. Now: We must need jump from a plane. Strange how alluring it sounded before the signature got couched on the document and the cheque was cut and drawn. Thrill: Temporarily put on hold. But then, there will come that time. There will be an instant when up in a plane, a parachute will be strapped on: There will be wind...and noise...and cold....and all that is left to do is jump. Sounds easy. But......but yet........here we are sitting, and wondering: "Well--it sounded fun. Now, as it appears....It must be done. What if.....what if the parachute malfunctions? What if......What if. What if it doesn't malfunction, and you fly into the desert, and land into a mass of cheering people, all with there hands up to catch you? It just takes a dare. I'm thinking.....it will be as easy as that one jump: After all, I've been no stranger to crowd surfing, been no stranger to the lead singer of the Horrors, who happens to be over two meters tall, standing on my shoulders and ripping a mirror ball out of the ceiling, being then covered in dust and waking up the next morning with both shoulders black with bruise. That was not planned, but it was unforgettable. I suppose.....to live moments that are legendary, that is to dare.....I wonder: Just how many mirror balls has that man yanked off the ceiling of a mid IXXe music hall in the middle of a concert? Yes we were all covered in dust and bits of plaster and my shoulders hurt for days, but it was thrilling. I wonder: Would that moment not have happened, had I moved aside when he began to walk out onto the crowd? Did he imagine that, because I was taller than most he would reach the ceiling? How many people felt as if they were witnessing something legendary? An entire music hall remembers it. He remembers it. I remember it. But none of it would have happened without.....the dare. So: What if we dare to annex the town of Grasse, and claim it as our own for a few nights? I'd be willing to bet, if we worked it right, the inhabitants of that city would not soon forget us. We just must dare to go, and, once there, dare to make complete spectacles of ourselves: Les Ringardes, The invasion. Grasse will never be the same.

Ah, Grasse! That explains all the ugly two penny bottles of purest essences (and loads of wine)! I've never been there. That sounds perfect! I hope you don't expect me to parachute into town...I won't. That would be something, though, wouldn't it? An entire traveling troupe parachuting into town? I'll bet Red would do it. Yes, no expectations except an adventure and a great time. Leave all our worries behind. It's high time. I am inspired!

Grasse! and daring - who could resist? And adventure to be sure, I too am inspired! ( I rather doubt I would parachute, lilibelle, I don't know about you but all of my parachutes are worn out from so many jumps )

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    New Jersey, you say?

Sounds good to me!
    LOLZ!

i don't mind meeting up only in my mind- and I have a WWII parachute! Will that help??
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Parachuting into Grasse would be a scintillating experience! For the moment, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that in August I will be parachuting into Burning Man, never having parachuted before. I suppose, if there is a place to make such an entrance, it would be Burning Man, wouldn't it? Which would be a better pad upon which to land? An endless field of lavender, or an unending crowd of stoned alt-burners chanting in unison and raising their arms up to catch you? I will keep you posted. For the record, I'm not entirely sure which it will be: I imagine it might go this way. After Burning Man, assuming I do have the courage to do it, which I am assuming I will as the arrangements are made, and paid for, there will be one of two developments:

Possibility number one:

Guys! We're so parachuting into Grasse! It's the only way! We can have tester fights on the way down! We'll each arm ourselves with full vapos--It will be rad!

Possibility number two:

So. The train from Paris is lovely. Do avoid the ham sandwiches.

I'm not quite sure which it will be. Also, Shineybeast, neither am I quite sure what it is precisely that's going on here. It would seem that we're floating the idea of a closed club Grasse outing in 2014. Since we have two years to plan it, who knows how we will be getting there? However: One thing is certain. We won't be going *just* to smell perfumes. I've already got a plan to be the first person to test out the effects of drinking a pint of Molinard....something. Flavouring whatever it is we might smoke with Habanita, and most definitely not rushing around. It's Grasse. The South of France is a place where Slowmo lives, continues to live, and most likely will forever live, happily ever after. Furthermore, There is a dress code: I'm imagining that we all might make an effort to bring our loudest, funnyest, and most comfortable attire: I'm already seeing printed Jellabas on Lilybelle and myself: Chantilly Pink for LB, perhaps dun buff for me. We're both allergic to the sun. Dr. Red will be perfectly fit in his own fashion, as only he might make inherently chic and enviable: Add bermuda shorts to that, Dr. Red, and we're in business. Yes. They can be plaid. I'm on a mission to see Rube in the "Euro Man Shorts," but, knowing him as I do, I'm sure he will have his way: And so will you, Shineybeast: Just make sure to pack the wackiest things you own: Perhaps dye your hair blue? I just have this vision....you know.....we're all in Grasse.....all we do is lounge around in cafes after gingerly visiting all the perfume museums and flower processing factories.....the cut off for being frankly drunk/otherwise altered is 2:00pm, 14h00 local time, and no matter what happens, we're never allowed to rush.

The train for me, though parachuting in does sound like the way to arrive, the way this adventure is shaping up. I've got two years to decide, though. Slomo living and Molinard cocktails and Habanita smokes and vats of rose petals and jasmine and lavender, strange & fun clothes -- it all sounds heavenly. I am definitely allergic to the sun - what's a jellaba, one of those long, neck to foot garments? That's for me. The whole thing sounds wonderful.

<3

adding...LeMdM, your Burning Man plan this August worries me. It makes me nervous and that's all I'll say about it anymore.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 25th October 2012 at 05:00 AM.

Well, I do have a pair of goat-leggings that I just don't get to wear often enough.

Not even kidding.

Can I borrow those for Burning Man?

I just now caught on to where this thread originated. I am so clueless. Inga, I was thinking...you and I could arrive by barge - wouldn't that be fun? - but we'll have to find a suitable waterway. There may not be one.

I'm thinking....a barge specifically designed to float on a sea of lavender blossoms in bloom. This will be particularly effective as that specific shade of lavender does with the melange of blues in Inga's Dior Feather-Explosion head dress. I'm seeing lots of flowy chiffon in this image.

Now, SB, things done simply are rarely the most interesting, nor do they often reach the levels of thought provoking complexity of which I am so fond. Taking that as a given, I trust you understand that my asking to borrow your Goat Leggings was by no means a simple gesture: Actually, it is heavily laden in volumes of untold data. Clearly: one does not simply lend Goat Leggings. Neither does one simply ask that they be lent....That being said, I do admit that Goat Leggings would most certainly suit you better than they would me. I think, for me, Flamingo Leggings would be more in tune with my body type. Dr. Red, do you have any?

Blog Entries

I am not sure you can say "Vives les Ringardes" and BE a ringarde at the same time. But I promise I will get a hideous spray tan and cornrow braids, if you let me come on this trip. Also. I think Burning Man is a bit of a fashionable event and not ringarde (check out Zoraya Judd's pole performance from a recent BMan) but I can so picture you there, parachute or otherwise. plus someone needs to keep Redneck company there. He is threatening to go. Are there bathrooms at Burning Man?

For now I am still wearing Bal Moto Jacket in Poudre. or Ciel.
    Last edited by Fleurine; 26th October 2012 at 02:58 AM.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Currently wearing: Guirlandes by Carven

It's Aquamarine, F. Burning Man experience depends on the camp you buy into. There are camps that have ballrooms & suites that are airconditioned. It all depends on who you go with. The experience varies from "Barefoot Dirt Hippies Begging for Food" to 5 course meals prepared by semi-famous chefs and served on Limoges. You sort of have to know the people to buy into the camp. I *require* airconditioning and sheets & mod coms. I could very easily rough it if it were in a forest--like the Solstice Festival Rave outside of Amsterdam in June 2011--when I slept in a tiny wee tent--but then I was so altered the whole time I didn't much care where or how I slept. It even POURED rain one night and I *still* made it into the tent, and somehow woke up in it. This said, I had a very nice friend with me whom I met on BN......

Rubegon le seducteur en polyesther solde
    You wound me! Cheap bastard I may be, but I do not wear polyester. I may be a little slow, but I can be taught. I went to BB just like you said. And I stopped buying shiny ties. No pin stripes or double breasted jackets. See?

So. The train from Paris is lovely. Do avoid the ham sandwiches.
    I'm leaning towards flying into Nice and renting a little Peugot convertible. I had one of these for a one week road trip through Spain once, and it made that trip twice as cool.

I'm on a mission to see Rube in the "Euro Man Shorts," but, knowing him as I do, I'm sure he will have his way
    They wouldn't work with my boots. And they look stupid. (just kidding - I just think they look stupid).

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    But I promise I will get a hideous spray tan and cornrow braids, if you let me come on this trip.

For now I am still wearing Bal Moto Jacket in Poudre. or Ciel.
    OK - if F shows up with cornrows and a spray-on tan, I'll wear manpri pants. Maybe. Only if she doesn't make it somehow look fabulously chic. I'm pretty sure she will, so I should be safe ...

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now, Rube, I would never intentionally wound you. I trust you know that. "le Seducteur en Polyesther solde" was tongue in cheek. Furthermore, I think those Euro Man-pri cargos would do on you: Just not with cowboy boot, you know. At any rate: I'm hellbent on imposing my usual dress code restrictions. As it happens, I'm known for that. This is a Fancy Dress Gathering and as such, we all must look perfectly ridiculous. I refuse to trot all the way out to the Provinces and not embrace the opportunity to be hilariously clothed the entire time, and I think all of us should embrace this approach post haste: Going forward, since we all have two years to prepare, we might just keep our eyes open while passing by thrift stores and the like for those couch-print giant sunflower rayon shirts, hot pink and sundry psychodelic paisely print moo-moos, a la Joanne Whirley on "Laugh Inn," and various head adornments: Lilybelle and I will be lighting the way in our Jellabas & parasols. At any rate: Grasse will be too hot for cowbowboots and Balenciaga Perfectos, no matter how "hello lover" gorgeous they might be. Anybody passing through hawaii between now and then should be stocking up on those $9.00 strappy velcro black sandals at ABC and verifying if there happens to be a shirt or a sundress for $29.99 that is simply too hideous to leave behind. The only one of our party who might have a tough time of it is Inga, as we all fully expect her to be parading about in Parisian Haute Couture the entire time, but not just any Parisian Haute Couture. Inga, we'll work this out. I have my connections.

PS: F, That video upstairs started out promising and just kept getting better. Yeeowza.
    Last edited by le mouchoir de monsieur; 26th October 2012 at 05:39 AM.

A parasol!! That is exactly what I need. I hate hats. I can't bear to have anything on my head. A parasol would be so me, though. Good thing you're in charge, lMdM, to sort us out. Inga I can definitely see floating in on a sea of lavender in chiffon and feathered headdress, but not me, alas. Rube, I like man-pris. I think they're rather sexy. Fleurine, that was a fascinating video - gravity defying - she is an aerialist.

^^^ You know perfectly well I can't do that.

Maybe something like this for me (but with a higher neckline, and a lighter color)???...

And shall we bring him along for company?...

[deleted pic]

He looks like he goes, but I don't know him.

editing to add...never mind, he looks like a stepbrother I don't like. I suppose I just like the setting. Cancel him. He is reminding me of the Caron caveman debacle now.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 26th October 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Parachuting into Grasse would be a scintillating experience!

[I]Guys! We're so parachuting into Grasse! It's the only way! We can have tester fights on the way down! We'll each arm ourselves with full vapos--It will be rad!

I am just loving this thread! Okay, parachuting - just wondering, my headdress, I must wear it! Just to ponder this - I wonder how I would look coming down floating, floating, but firstly, in the rush, must think of a way to keep it on. It's quite a thought. Yet on a barge? Perfect! Oh MdM, lavender blossoms and flowing chiffon - it's a must! And slowmo - sounds just right. Who of us would want to rush through such an experience -

I too look forward to seeing you all in your finest goat leggings, bermuda shorts - and what have you. A jellaba, yes, lilybelle and MdM. I won't be able to indulge in one, I'll be in of course, Parisian Haute Couture. Call me Burning Woman!

Ingami, you are an adorable sweetheart. ♥

Yes, Ingami. You are our Icon of Fabulousness. I'm thinking: If we found some sort of platform, we men might parade you about the narrow, winding streets of Grasse a bit like Cleopatra: You can be lounging on it, all bedecked in the most spectacular Parisian Haute Couture, and have minions misting you with various perfumes, whilst others fan you. Speaking of men, note how they have all deserted us: No Dr. Red. No Rube. No SB. I'm happy to host a troupe of hot lasses in Grasse: Certainly all of you know that. Actually, this might be just the thing. This way, we might spend hours discussing those things of which I am so fond: Like how the new architectural approach in fashion is refreshingly body disguising. I for one am quite sick of seeing women wearing clothes so tight they look as if they are painted on: It's become vulgar and common. Naturally, Lilybelle and I will be carrying the "Pragmatic Flowy" torch, whilst Inga will have no need for pragmatism whatsoever, as she will be floating about and/or being carried hither and thither on a platform, with minions. Isn't it fascinating how the men just disappear as soon as we're on to dress code? What fun would life be if we couldn't spend hours labouring over our wardrobes? It's about the only indulgence we have left, everything having either become illegal or so staunchly un-PC as to be unthinkable. Now, LB, clearly: I am not expecting you to to be wearing orange polyesther double knit. We'll leave that to Rubicon. Furthermore, I find that silhouette ^^^^ a bit too revealing in the decolletage. You know how that area is the most sensitive part. We need FULL COVERAGE. Jellabas & parasols. I'm already scouting out couch-print fluorescent printed ones, paisely, hippie daisies, etc, in the local thrift shops. Add an enormous italian straw hat, 100+ SPF, and we're there. F is going to tell us that the 100spf will do no good: There is a FABULOUS one in France by Avene Eau Thermale that has a pinkish tone to it--it doesn't give you "clown face" and it unifies and brightens. Now I am *truly* trying to scare the men away. Oh yes: We might discuss perfume. Clothes and skin treatment.....nooooooooooo.

I agree, full coverage is essential. I would wear a turtleneck if I could stand one. I've been looking online at jellabas, kaftans, etc. No synthetic fabrics in those for me or I will suffocate in there. I am a major pain in the arse when it comes to dressing: nothing itchy, nothing on my neck, cannot tolerate anything on my head (no hats), nothing tight (I'm glad that's going away), nothing fussy, nothing to hot. A long sack will be so liberating! But it must be perfect. I found a site that sells double layer wrap skirts that can be wound around a hundred different ways into dresses, and tops, and skirts. Then I was off in the direction of sarongs and pareas and Thai fisherman pants...enthralled with the idea of traveling with a few squares and rectangles of cloth as a wardrobe. And very comfortable sandals. That is the life for me. It's just that the sun doesn't like me.

The fellas will be back, don't worry. They definitely want to go. We can visit all the *ard* fragrance houses, and I think you can tour a production facility to see how tons of flowers are turned into essences, and all sorts of interesting things to see and do. It's going to be great. Now all we have to do is cool our jets for two years.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 27th October 2012 at 12:56 PM.

Oh my, I am blushing, and I will have minions? ....swoon...

lilybelle, especially in light of the fact that I will be wearing my headdress, it's a dandy thing that I don't mind something on my head. My headdress is quite a something! But also, I like your ideas of " a few squares and rectangles of cloth as a wardrobe" as well. I've never seriously tried any of these items, I did have one thing that I could apparently wrap in many ways as a top, and I never did get the proper hang of it. I kept - well, you could say falling out of it I'm not one of your regular Dolly Parton types, yet I still couldn't keep it together. But I wouldn't mind trying again sometimes. It does seem to be so free just to wind, wrap and go, doesn't it? And some of the fabrics are so beautiful. ( and I agree with you MdM and lilybelle, nothing too tight! )