Code of Conduct

Default Selfridges London - Fragrance Lab experience

Has anyone tried the recent event at Selfridges London? The fragrance lab? I'm curious if anyone's left with something they genuinely love http://www.selfridges.com/wcsstore/S...?stop_mobi=yes
    Top 5
    1. Gucci PH2
    2. Aventus
    3. Hermes Un Jardin Méditerranée
    4. Creed GIT
    5. Dior Homme/Intense

Current swap list found here ... http://tinyurl.com/9udvk8q

Default Re: Selfridges London - Fragrance Lab experience

Hmm - tried the survey?..
    http://www.selfridges.com/en/StaticP...lab-experience

It produced 167 Fragrance - @£45.00.

It didn't ask about favoured sniffs, as far as I recall....although some of the images chosen have magically appeared as 'notes'.

I wouldn't pay £65 instore to end up with this but wouldn't avoid sampling them.
    Last edited by lpp; 16th June 2014 at 09:26 PM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Its answer for me was...

Fragrance Lab Two Hundred and Forty Nine Fragrance
    Notes: Ambrette, white musk, vanilla, sandalwood, amber

EDIT: OK, they cannot make their mind up, because I just checked my inbox and they've sent me a results breakdown... that is totally different than I got on the website:

Fragrance Lab One Six Eight Fragrance
    Notes: Zesty Tropical Accord, Davana Essence, Litchee, Ginger, Rice Water, Pecan Caramel Pie, Vanilla Milk, Tonka Bean, Vetiver

There was one text description question where I was split between two of the answers, so I ran it again, and that time I also got Two Hundred and Forty Nine from the website, but something else in the email:

Fragrance Lab One Six Nine Fragance
    Notes: Cardamom, Fennel, Ozonic Dust, Iris, Psychadelic Pastel Cloud, Atomic Mineral Accord, Cosmone, Styrax, Molecular Distilled Vetiver

I think I prefer the sound of One Six Eight
    Last edited by andym72; 17th June 2014 at 08:18 AM.

I did it for a laugh. Ended up with 168 (as I recall), which is pretty awful. Seriously hoping that's not my personality distilled into a perfume

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Its answer for me was...

Fragrance Lab Two Hundred and Forty Nine Fragrance
    Notes: Ambrette, white musk, vanilla, sandalwood, amber

EDIT: OK, they cannot make their mind up, because I just checked my inbox and they've sent me a results breakdown... that is totally different than I got on the website:

Fragrance Lab One Six Eight Fragrance
    Notes: Zesty Tropical Accord, Davana Essence, Litchee, Ginger, Rice Water, Pecan Caramel Pie, Vanilla Milk, Tonka Bean, Vetiver

There was one text description question where I was split between two of the answers, so I ran it again, and that time I also got Two Hundred and Forty Nine from the website, but something else in the email:

Fragrance Lab One Six Nine Fragance
    Notes: Cardamom, Fennel, Ozonic Dust, Iris, Psychadelic Pastel Cloud, Atomic Mineral Accord, Cosmone, Styrax, Molecular Distilled Vetiver

I think I prefer the sound of One Six Eight
    This could be a new form of entertainment

Mine sounded different in the follow-up email as well - a compelling combination of 'benzyl salicyclate, farnesol, geraniol, isoeugenol - Mechanised notes, fizzy and provocative, an android you...'

aka One Six Seven - 'Aldehydes, violet leaves, metallic fractions, styrax, birch tar, neon lipstick accord, habanolide, ambroxan, castoreum'.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    This could be a new form of entertainment

Mine sounded different in the follow-up email as well - a compelling combination of 'benzyl salicyclate, farnesol, geraniol, isoeugenol - Mechanised notes, fizzy and provocative, an android you...'

aka One Six Seven - 'Aldehydes, violet leaves, metallic fractions, styrax, birch tar, neon lipstick accord, habanolide, ambroxan, castoreum'.

You got recommended the very same as Persolaise:

http://persolaise.blogspot.co.uk/201...ersolaise.html

Which he said smelt of frankincense + violets + metal. Where the birch tar and castoreum went to, lord only knows...

But at least you got recommended One Six Seven both on the website and the follow up email.

I got completely different scents.

Maybe you're a more complex character

That is an interesting Blog post but I'm still confused about the price, which appears to be £65 in store & £45 online.

This Fragrance Lab connects in very well with a project that IBM is working on (I work for IBM, but not in this area):

http://asmarterplanet.com/blog/2014/...computers.html

They call it computational creativity. It's not really being creative, the system has a vast database of examples of human creativity (in this example, recipes), and also knows what chemical compounds are in those dishes, both because of the raw ingredients and because of the cooking method which changes the ingredients. So it can work out a rating of “flavour pleasantness” for known combinations of final compounds, come up with new combinations that have a high probability of having pleasant flavour, and then work backwards to come up with a method of producing that flavour, in other words a new recipe.

This was built as a proof of concept to show to various creative industries that IBM can help them come up with new ideas, and I know already that one of the industries they have shown this to is the perfume industry because of the obvious parallels, as that article finishes:

"And while it’s great to be working on something that I’m also personally invested in, we’re already thinking about how to apply these “creative” algorithms to domains outside the culinary arts and into areas like fashion, and fragrance. What about a new perfume?"

The science behind it is certainly interesting - I'm just not so sure about the actual product - but they have to start somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    The science behind it is certainly interesting - I'm just not so sure about the actual product - but they have to start somewhere!

I'm not saying this Fragrance Lab is connected with the IBM project, just that there is work afoot along the lines of this Selfridges installation elsewhere.

Nice thread everyone and thank you to the OP for this.

I just tried it and scored Two Hundred and Forty Nine Fragrance. Here's the details of who I am (according to the questionnaire...):

"You are cultured, modest and a definite romantic. You enjoy exploring your creativity and sharing your ideas and opinions with others, even though you have moments of self-doubt. You like to be surrounded by objects that are connected with memories or that tell a story. You like to maintain a clean and professional appearance. Begin your journey with top notes of mineral-like ambrette and enchanting white musk, leading to a heart of opulent vanilla and aged sandalwood, then finally the destination: a base of alluring ancient amber accord. This fragrance evokes images of a retreat hidden among the mountains – a place where you can explore your expressive nature."

Hmmm.... interesting!

Hmmm, sandalwood, interesting!

We don't (between the very few of us so far) seem to have managed very wide selection.

Nothing new to offer, I'm afraid - I got 168.

Zesty Tropical Accord, Davana Essence, Litchee, Ginger, Rice Water, Pecan Caramel Pie, Vanilla Milk, Tonka Bean, Vetiver

... er. So much for 'flavour pleasantness'!

There seems to be a problem with the website. It always gives me 249 every time then emails me 147. BUT…I went there today. You basically answer the same questions but on an iPad in a white room full of well, pretend perfumers lol Then they give you a phone with a headset and tell you to follow instructions and you end up going through a fragrance obstacle course of some sort. I liked the sound of 249 initially when I did it online but when I got there I was matched up with 147. Just like the email. I didn't like the smell at first (in the store) but the dry down is actually nice.
    Top 5
    1. Gucci PH2
    2. Aventus
    3. Hermes Un Jardin Méditerranée
    4. Creed GIT
    5. Dior Homme/Intense

Current swap list found here ... http://tinyurl.com/9udvk8q

Sound Scents

268 -- You have opinions that some think are unorthodox, but you enjoy sharing them to see what kind of reactions you get. You’re prepared to take a step into the unknown. Fashion is something very personal to you and a way by which you assert your identity. You find challenges life-affirming and rewarding. You like art and design that makes a lasting impression. The taste of neon. Sweet and addictive. Aspirational dreams. Rice water spiked with ginger. Undiscovered tastes. Spiky lychee skins. A city that bombards your senses. This fragrance is equal parts comforting and experimental, reflecting your love of asserting new and challenging ideas.

I have no idea what the "taste of neon" is, but most of the descriptor is accurate...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    Nothing new to offer, I'm afraid - I got 168.

Zesty Tropical Accord, Davana Essence, Litchee, Ginger, Rice Water, Pecan Caramel Pie, Vanilla Milk, Tonka Bean, Vetiver

... er. So much for 'flavour pleasantness'!
    It smelled like cookie dough dipped in lime juice at first, and then dried down to be Spicebomb. That was my impression of it, at least. Couldn't stand it. I generally don't like gourmands.

The funny thing is that on the day when I smelled the perfume, I think the guy in the white lab coat could sense that I wasn't totally thrilled with it. He said that sometimes the computer gets it wrong, and then immediately reached under the counter, pulled out a second bottle, and sprayed it on a card for me. That one was a tropical floral, sort of like Bronze Goddess. I opted for the first one, but I'm still not sure what to do with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    It smelled like cookie dough dipped in lime juice at first, and then dried down to be Spicebomb. That was my impression of it, at least. Couldn't stand it. I generally don't like gourmands.
    I loathe most gourmands and the notes of this one sound a bit haphazard, frankly.
    A number of the others sound like they might work better though - a few of them seem almost CdG. I might make my way there if I could actually try some of them...