Code of Conduct

Default Endless search for a signature scent

Hi all,

I've been looking for a signature scent for months now and I can't seem to find any fragrance which fully meets my expectations.
    I'm quite picky when it comes to scents so I hope you guys could advise me.

I'm looking for a fragrance that has a good longevity but not too much sillage as I've read somewhere on this forum "a fragrance is something to be discovered, not to be announced". I need a fragrance which is not too fresh at the beginning but still fresh enough in the drydown if you know what i mean

For example, I like the opening of D&G The One but the drydown is too sweet and thick for me while I think of the Allure Sport opening as too harsh but the drydown is lovely. Ideally I need a hybrid between those two.

Fragrances that I've tried and do not like:
    Versace Pour Homme (good smell but way too sharp/harsh)
    Solo Loewe (just don't like the smell)
    Midnight in Paris (too sweet, thick)
    Azarro Chrome (don't like the smell)
    Armani Code Ultimate (too sweet/thick)
    Givenchy Play
    Nikos Sculpture (actually I like the smell but there's just something not right about it)
    Paco Rabanne XS

Fragrances that I've tried and do like:
    Opening of D&G The One
    Drydown of Allure Sport & Allure Sport Eau Extreme
    Opening of Bleu De Chanel

I'm in my twenties if that's important.

Regards
    Last edited by Noxis; 18th June 2014 at 08:47 PM.

Default Re: Endless search for a signature scent

Creed Green Irish Tweed. Very bright lovely opening and is pretty linear so you will get the same awesomeness for the life of the fragrance. Projection and silage are perfect IMO for what you are looking for. It also works for many scenarios such as work, dates, casual, nights out.

You might try:
    Gucci Pour Homme II : I think you'll like the opening of this as much as you like the opening of The One and Bleu, and the drydown blows away the Chanels. If there's any issues with this, it's longevity (like The One), that's the only reason I might skip this

L'instant de Guerlain : It's not easy for me to think of perfumes with openings as good as The One and Bleu, but arguably LIDG is there -- although it's a bigger composition than both of those, and I don't know if you're leaning towards lighter. The drydown is amazing. And, fantastic longevity.

Carolina Herrera 212 Men: Since you obviously like perfumes that are a bit lighter and fresher, given your attraction to Bleu and the sport scents, this one might actually be your best bet of the three. I wear it just about the exact same situations as Bleu, women love it, and if you like the opening you'll probably like the drydown

Some suggestions to try that I think would fit your description would be Dior Homme, Bois d'Argent and L'humaniste.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Being that you said you liked D&G the one, check out Five O'Clock Gimgebre by Serge Lutens.

+1 Dior Homme

Good luck with your quest for a signature scent. I've been searching for a signature scent for years, but I've realized that sampling and trying out new ones is more fun!

Try L'Humaniste by Frapin

I also recommend Guerlain Homme

+1 for GPH II

Another for Frapin L'Humaniste
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Since you are only mentioning designers and knowing you propably have a budget , then I'm gonna stick with scents in that price vicinity : so in retrospect I would pick for you allure homme sport and Fahrenheit EDP concentration plus cool water and eternity...Cheerios
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Perhaps also Guerlain Homme Eau Boisee

How about Aventus, I really don't know if it would meet your criteria but it is so hyped that you must at least give it a go Regardless of the hype, I too like it, not for myself but on my husband...

I think Dior Homme Sport would be worth a try for you, another one would be Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio Essenza.

+1 Dior Homme Sport.

OP: Try 3 sprays, not too close to your nose (maybe 2 abdomen, 1 forearm). One never knows what someone else will like but that may work for you. Btw, I'm into the AHS (EDT) dry down as we speak and I'm with you...it's extremely nice.

Thanks, seems like I've to do a lot of testing tomorrow!

Greetings!

The secret to finding a great signature scent, in my opinion, is finding the right balance between uniqueness and versatility. For example: The One is a great scent, but it isn't very versatile - meaning, I wouldn't wear it to work or to family gatherings, and though it's casual, I wouldn't wear it while shooting pool with friends either. Granted, some people will wear anything at any time, but I view fragrances the same way I view clothing. I don't wear shorts in the winter and I don't wear a scarf in summer. For me, the ultimate piece of clothing is a jacket that's dressy enough for work, stylish enough for a date but can also be worn casually. If that jacket were a fragrance, for me it would be:

Varvatos Vintage
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

+1 for sampling these:

Dior Homme Sport.
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    And I'd add Terre d'Hermes (I prefer the Parfum version).
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    Some suggestions to try that I think would fit your description would be Dior Homme, Bois d'Argent and L'humaniste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Try L'Humaniste by Frapin
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Another for Frapin L'Humaniste
    A fourth vote for L'Humaniste.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Well, if nothing else, now L'Humaniste is on my sample list.

Looks like l'Humaniste is more a niche scent so I'll have to order a sample from luckyscent. Gin however is my favourite alcoholic beverage so I'm sure it's worth trying!