Code of Conduct

Default New to Basenotes

Hi all,

I've been a lurker here for a while but have finally decided to create an account. I work at the United Nations HQ in New York and was planning on finally stopping by the Creed boutique after work today. However, my experience with fragrances is limited to CK Eternity for men, Tiffany for men, Acqua di Gio and L'Occitane's Eav des Bavx. I've liked them all, but found myself favoring the Eav des Bavx and the Acqua di Gio over the rest. Based on my lurking, I'm thinking of going with either Aventus, GIT, MI or Royal Oud. Any suggestions as to whether there's anything else I should try or look at would be appreciated!

Thanks guys,

obiwan393

Default Re: New to Basenotes

Welcome!

I am personally not a fan of Creed, but many people here appreciate it. GIT and Bois de Portugal are among the most traditional; given what you like, in the line you should be ok with either GIT or Aventus.

(When I come to NYC, which, apart from Paris and the UAE, is as good as it gets for fragrance choices, I rather go to other places - Henri Bendel, Barney's, Aedes de Venustas, but they carry other brands).

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Welcome obiwan393!!! If you do go to the Creed store, Cacio is right Green Irish Tweed or the more popular Aventus are good starting points. Aventus gets more compliments and is very, very popular around here.
    You are so lucky to be in NYC and have acess to so many more stores and what we call Niche fragrances. Good luck aon your scented journey and don't be a stranger!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Blog Entries

I like the good, clean smell of Creed's Original Vetiver. Welcome to Basenotes!

Thanks for all the tips guys. I ended up getting a 500ml flacon of aventus as it was from the well received z01 batch and the last one the store had in stock. I also received samples of various fragrances and am quite fond of both the MI and the sandalwood fragrance they carry. I'll let you guys know what I think of the fragrances after I've had time to try them out. Cheers!

Welcome to BN.

Those ones you mentioned are very popular. Crowd pleasers and for good reason too. I'm also not a fan but do enjoy GIT and SMW a few days of the year.
    But, disposable income dependent, try other brands too before committing.

for swap/sale:

Welcome to BN. Based on your Eau de Baux love I suggest exploring Tom Ford's private blends. Do try TV, NdN, AA, actually all of them ...

Cheers.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I also very much like L'Occitane's Eav des Bavx. I enjoy the vanilla note so much. That being said, you should explore Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. It is EdB's older, more affluent brother. I am certain you will love it and get a lot more sililage and longevity from it. If only Creed will do for now, and I do like Creed so very much, I would recommend Aventus or G.I.T., to begin. If you are looking for a wonderous woody dry down, go for Creed's Bois du Portugal. I adore it. Good luck to you and a big welcome to Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by obiwan393 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I ended up getting a 500ml flacon of aventus as it was from the well received z01 batch and the last one the store had in stock. I also received samples of various fragrances and am quite fond of both the MI and the sandalwood fragrance they carry. I'll let you guys know what I think of the fragrances after I've had time to try them out. Cheers!
    Well, welcome to BN (officially)! & congrats on your fine purchase. I absolutely love my 50ml of Aventus (also Z01 batch). I can only wish I were able to get a 500ml flacon of it. You got a good one, my friend, and are sure to enjoy it for years to come. (haha, with 500ml I'd spray with abandon)

The journey home with a 500ml of Aventus must've been humorous with all the panties spontaneously dropping.

Z01 is certainly a good one. I just bought 50mL's via a split here, and I had it as a sample before and loved it (the bottle hasn't arrived yet from the split, could be tomorrow). Enjoy your Aventus! Also, welcome to Basenotes. If you don't get too caught up in the hype, this place can be super awesome as I am sure you know from lurking (I did a bit as well before joining).

Welcome! Your Creed choices are all good ones IMO and worth adding to what you already have.

I'll definitely look into Tobacco Vanille if it's similar to EdB, thanks for the tip. So far, I have to say I'm rather enjoying the Aventus, but I find as it dries I smell somewhat like cinnamon or cherry, more than woodsy, granted the girlfriend commented that I smelled like the wood section of a home depot, so maybe my nose is just off lol. Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome everyone, I definitely wasn't expecting all of these responses so here's to you all

Creeds Jardin d' Amfalfi would be worth checking out as well as it's stunning.