Code of Conduct

Thread: L'Air du Temps

Default L'Air du Temps

The vintage version of this perfume is on my list of things I want to buy.

There is a bewildering range of versions and it is still being produced today. The current formulation is truly vile and I have no desire to inadvertently buy a recent formulation.

Can someone with experience in this field give me some advice about the vintages and bottles of this perfume. Is there a 'safe' purchase I can make, based upon looking for a particular bottle style?

Also, I have recently begun a search for good vintage minis and again, I have no idea what to look for.

Oops - forgot the 's' on the end. It did look rather strange when I came back to it.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 25th October 2012 at 02:01 PM.

Default Re: L'Air du Temp

I don't know that NR has made the parfum in a while. The vintage parfum often came in a velveteen-coated presentation box.

I don't know what year L'air du Temps became so degraded (heartbreaking!), but I have not had good luck with vintage. It doesn't seem to hold up well. All of mine (and I've tried three different versions now) were off. Just wanted to let you know my experience. I hope you have better luck!

The Couture Edition with the bright green feathers seems more like the vintage than the other recent formulations. I can wear it happily anyway.

Lillybelle, that's bad news about it not aging gracefully. I did very well with a vintage 4ml bottle of Farouche, which is as fresh today as it was when it was made. However, I realize that not all Nina Riccis are made of the same ingredients.

MorganFay, it's good to hear that the Couture Edition is wearable. No one would want to wear the current formulation.

I smiled inwardly when I spoke to a naive young SA in a chemist's shop in a small town. She desperately wanted to show me something that I may like among her perfumes. She told me that L'Air du Temps was a classic, and has been a favourite for many years.

'Little do you know, my lovely young girl', I thought, 'what you're peddling doesnt' come within a 'bull's roar' of the real thing'.

Banned

i dont know what are we talking about here? isnt this scent 1st time ever made in 2007? how could it be it became so reformulated within 5 years only!?? cant be classic for many years its 2012 only

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    i dont know what are we talking about here? isnt this scent 1st time ever made in 2007? how could it be it became so reformulated within 5 years only!?? cant be classic for many years its 2012 only
    It was launched in 1948.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    It was launched in 1948.
    ups my appologies ) i should check twice before i say somehting hehehe.......i was thinking of some other scent L temps du un fete, that was simmilar to me hahaha
    but maybe Lili B can try that one it smelles like its been made in 1947 to me, very classic, but beautiful!

I'll go and sniff all mine now. I have a collection of little minis with the birds on and one larger. The older one was much spicier and somehow 'thicker' than the newer versions. I second the Farouche.

Lili, I haven't had much luck with vintage LdT. Despite being a full bottle, boxed, the one I had did not age well, it had lost its bright carnation topnote, and was a pale shadow of the scent I remember my mother wearing back in the day. I think this is a scent that was wonderful in its prime but perhaps its particular ingredients are more prone to degrade with age than other scents? Of course, that is my experience with just one bottle, maybe I was unlucky.
    Last edited by tiffingirl; 25th October 2012 at 01:45 PM.

Default Re: L'Air du Temps

Lilian, I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full. Please clear some space.

To change the title go to Edit, click on Advanced and do whatever you want with the title.

I have some older bottles that were my grandmas, but I am not sure how old exactly, my best guess is the early 80s. They still smell great, but there is a difference between the edt and the edp. The edt is much more airy, cool, the edp is richer and warmer. It's sort of a contrast between white carnations - fresh and lighlty peppery and deep red carnations -velvety spices.

I also have a set from the early '80s, and I agree with jacona. The EDT is very airy and cool; the carnation is prominent and "chilly." The EDP is warmer and rounder and very pretty. White vs. red carnation is a great way to describe it! I actually like the light, airy, spicy coldness of the EDT and wear it more than the other; both seem to have aged well.

If you're looking to buy circa '80s, these are the bottle types I have. The EDT is one ounce in a columnar spray bottle with diagonal ribbing in the glass, and a gold-tone collar and cap. The cap has some sort of etched design, but it's not the iconic doves. The EDP is in a little splash bottle with a gold screw-off cap (I've seen newer versions with a cloudy white plastic cap); two doves are molded in relief in the front of the bottle, and the bottle shape is a flattened round with a bit of a tapered neck at the top.
    Last edited by Thalia; 26th October 2012 at 01:19 AM.
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

Thank you so much for the feedback everybody. I've put in a bid on a couple of the common lalique bottles with the curved shoulders and long neck. It is the most common and is often available in minis. I have kept away from the dove bottles because I have no idea of age. The bottles I have bid on have the metal screw top.

I guess the splash bottles are older, because few, if any manufacturers these days produce splash except of course pure parfum. There are some lovely bottles with doves in relief on the front of the bottle and I would be keen to know how old they are. Then there are those bottles that have a raised fine pattern around the edge of the circular bottle.

What I'd love to know is how far back do I go if I want the dove bottles with a glass stopper, rather than plastic. Those lalique doves are gorgeous and I do lust after them. However, I have noticed that even at this early stage of researching the perfume, perfect glass dove bottles where the beaks and wings are fully intact, are hard to come by.

I too have not had good luck buying vintage L'air du Temps. My best buy was a bottle of parfum like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LAIR...item1c237c2604

(I think I paid about $25 for mine though)

I don't think it is actually very old though.

I have 2 very old bottles, one is off and the other is yuk. I have one oldish bottle from an estate sale that is ok but already the top notes are old.

I just don't think L'air du Temps ages well myself.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

I took a chance and bid on a 6ml parfum in the bottle with the raised glass doves and the pretty gold cap. I won it, having been the only bid. I'm pleased with it. There was also the same situation with a vintage EDT that I was the only bid and I have it also won.

Neither of these were particularly expensive, so I thought they were worth taking a chance on.

It would be interesting to know which bottles were which. Mine are mainly the plastic dove minis but there are two sorts. A single one and a pair.

I have no idea about any of these with regards to age.

Note one mini has much darker juice than the others probably due to exposure to light and/or heat.

Banned

lovely picture mumsy!!....yes would be nice to know the age

I don't actually think any of these are very old.

I wore L'air du Temps in the 70s and early 80s. These are the bottles I wore...

Parfum (amaaaazing fragrance back in the day)…If you obtained one of these, with its seal and in a sealed cello wrapped box, never opened and stored properly, there might be a chance that it would still be good, but…I don’t know. In this photo it looks like the birds' wings have gold on the feathers, but I think that's just the light making it look like that.

Edt. I had several of this type in edt, and apparently parfum minis came in this bottle, too, because I bought one on ebay that came in its own box (but the top notes are shot)…

This is the last one I had, around mid 80s (I think?). It still was nice…

I currently have on that looks like this from ebay. I don’t remember these embossed bottles from earlier days. It has gone off but it is still nice enough to catch a ghost of a whiff. The white bottles are refillable…

I also had a bottle of edt that looked somewhat like this from ebay or somewhere. I don’t know when this was made (maybe 90s?). Mine was off.

I don’t recall L’air du Temps in eau de parfum. I think I only ever had parfum or edt. Both were so wonderful. It is a shame to have lost those. I've given up on LdT, but if I found the lalique dove bottle of extrait, and it had never been opened or tampered with, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg, I would snag one to see whether it was still good.

Thats it lilybelle!! The white ribbed column bottle with the gold label in the middle but without the bow. That is the one that I really liked. It was sharp, airy, very nice. Thanks for that. I will try to find some. It is also possible that the opaque bottle will have preserved the fragrance in better condition than the glass ones.

thank you, because you've also triggered a memory that I sold a bottle like that white lot with the embossed sides. That smelled quite lovely actually, but there wasn't much left. I sold it for the bottles' sake as i didn't care for the scent overly. Maybe the scent was preserved by the non transparency. I suspect so.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Edt. I had several of this type in edt, and apparently parfum minis came in this bottle, too, because I bought one on ebay that came in its own box (but the top notes are shot)…

This is the exact bottle of the EdT that I own. I bought it from another Basenoter, boxless, but it smells just fine and I love it. I really want to get the EdP one of these days, scentemental (a BN member who doesn't post anymore) used to say such wonderful things about it. It really does smell like carnations (not too clovey).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

That's encouraging, Mike! I'm glad to hear that because I gave up, thinking that it just doesn't age well.

Thank you to everyone who has been so helpful in this quest. It seems like I'm not the only one wondering about the various bottles and their vintages. Not only do we have the typical Lalique bottles, the various dove versions but also the columnar ones as shown on Lilybelle's useful photos.

Hi Mike
    The bottle you show is the one I have coming. I also have another small bid on another bottle, a little darker in the colour of the juice (the first bottles were both a very light colour) as perhaps another option.
    The mini I bought is 6mls of pure parfum. I'm really excited about that. It's not just the beautiful perfume but also the lovely bottle with its impressed doves on the bottle.

LiliB, I hope you will post about them once they arrive and you get to try them. I'll be wondering how they smell.

Lilybelle - I will certainly post when I get them.

It was really interesting to see how many people relate to LDT, how many people hold fond memories of it in its vintage form, and how many people even use the current formulation

In my reading this afternoon I discovered the splash bottle that Mike has is from the 70s and 80s whereas the bottle with the doves in relief on the side are apparently from the 90s. So the two bottles I have coming are definitely of a time that should coincide with how I remember this beautiful perfume.

I have the splash bottle with the doves in relief and received it as a gift in the early '80s or late '70s, so they were making that one for a while. Doesn't make it very easy to date! It came in a set with the clear ribbed column in Lilybelle's pic No. 4.
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

I was surprised at how long ago I started this thread. After acquiring a big collection of vintage and also minis, I am almost overwhelmed with trying new things.

I bought three different bottles - two EDT, one dark tea coloured, the other lightish yelllow and a little 6ml mini of the pure parfum. All three struck me as being perfectly okay.

I wore both strengths yesterday and was struck by something - just how wonderful the interpretation of carnation is in L'Air du Temps. I love carnation and have been seeking a good version without success. Most 'carnation' perfumes should be simply called 'clove'. This is true of vintage Bellodgia parfum, vintage Blue Carnation, and everything between that I have tried.

Finally, I have found a perfume that reads as 'carnation' to my brain. Yes, there's an element of clove. However, as with the perfume of the flower, there is more than just clove. The sad thing is, I'm almost totally anosmic to L'Air du Temps and only get the notes on initial application, After that, a little movement of air may bring a little reminder, but even 'vacuuming' my wrist with my nose, doesn't revive much to my senses. Very sad because I can detect enough to understand why this is one of those all time classic perfumes in its vintage form.
    Last edited by LiliB; 11th December 2012 at 01:17 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Please try the EdT LiliB, I find it more radiant & tenacious than the EdP/parfum. I agree that it is 'carnation' through-and-through, a very 'real' accord. Another, a masculine that you should smell, is vintage Equipage by Hermes.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hi Mike
    My post had a 'typo'. It is the EDT that I have and it is indeed radiant. It is more nuanced than the parfum, but it is impossible to judge from just one example. I have set myself the objective of buying a larger parfum because I think there's more to it than I have experienced to date.

As I said, I have a problem really detecting the EDT for any length of time. I have sent some to a friend to see whether I am just anosmic, or whether my EDT lacks substance. There is enough in the occasional 'waft' of notes that I do get, to remind me of just what a gorgeous perfume this was in its vintage format.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Mike
    My post had a 'typo'. It is the EDT that I have and it is indeed radiant. It is more nuanced than the parfum, but it is impossible to judge from just one example. I have set myself the objective of buying a larger parfum because I think there's more to it than I have experienced to date.

As I said, I have a problem really detecting the EDT for any length of time. I have sent some to a friend to see whether I am just anosmic, or whether my EDT lacks substance. There is enough in the occasional 'waft' of notes that I do get, to remind me of just what a gorgeous perfume this was in its vintage format.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    It would be interesting to know which bottles were which. Mine are mainly the plastic dove minis but there are two sorts. A single one and a pair.

I have no idea about any of these with regards to age.

Note one mini has much darker juice than the others probably due to exposure to light and/or heat.
    Lovely collection, Mumsy!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I know this thread has been inactive for a while...

Anyway. Is anybody familiar with this bottle? I got it from my mother who is getting rid of her vintage strong stuff due to asthma. She claims this one is from the early nineties. I have searched all over internet without finding the same golden bottle anywhere.

Anybody?

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody..?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wanderSIN; 28th March 2013 at 07:18 PM.