Code of Conduct

Default Have anyone ever tried sandalwood essential oil from Sun Pure Botanicals?

I got a 10 ml bottle on ebay for $20.... it has 100% pure and natural sandalwood oil steam distilled written on the bottle... smells pretty good... anyone know if this stuff is pure as it claims to be?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Dependent

Default Re: Have anyone ever tried sandalwood essential oil from Sun Pure Botanicals?

There are a lot of quality grades and sources for sandalwood. Will be interested to read if anyone else has tried theirs.

Default Re: Have anyone ever tried sandalwood essential oil from Sun Pure Botanicals?

I am guessing it is Australian Sandalwood, because there is no way Mysore Sandalwood oil would be that cheap, 10 ml is usually between 55-75 dollars depending on the grade.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I am guessing it is Australian Sandalwood, because there is no way Mysore Sandalwood oil would be that cheap, 10 ml is usually between 55-75 dollars depending on the grade.
    The bottle has a website www.sunpurebotanicals.com on the label,....i wanted to find more info on the oiil, but when i went to the site, there's nothing there....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

[QUOTE=change1;2737745]I got a 10 ml bottle on Ebay for $20.... it has 100% pure and natural sandalwood oil steam distilled written on the bottle... smells pretty good... anyone know if this stuff is pure as it claims to be?

OK, You need to read the labels on everything you buy related to essential oils. YES they do have a wonderful and extremely well priced collection of essential oils at Sun Pure Botanicals on EBAY. The only thing is you might have purchased their West Indian Sandalwood which, though cheaper than the East Indian Sandalwood Oil ($150 for 3 ounces) does not have the therapeutic elements found in the EAST INDIAN product. I have them both. If you check out their clove oil, please note than they carry two types: A cheaper version used in cheap perfumes (Clove Leaf Oil) and the more expensive version used in more expensive fragrances and the food industry CLOVE BUD OIL. WHEN IN DOUBT, check for the Latin name of the plant in question. Common names change, but the Latin Botanical Names never do.

I have gallons of their oils and use them religiously at my store in NJ. Another wonderful company to purchase your oils is here: http://myworld.ebay.com/wf-medical?_...p2047675.l2559

They are also on EBAY but have a website where one can purchase without the Ebay limitations.

Any questions, feel free to write at mannythecolorist@AOL.com

ALSO, check out www.perfumersapprentice.com for every possible kind of assistance in both natural and man made fragrance. The staff at this company is amazing and even give you access to ready mixed and formulated accords for your fragrances.

Manny

Basenotes Institution

It's very hard to know what kind of sandalwood you bought, since oils are many times diluted, mislabeled (intentionally and unintentionally), old (or new), etc.

What did Sun Pure Botanicals call it? Just sandalwood? If so, that's sort of misleading (like HAM...is it Smoked Ham? Boiled Ham? Country Ham?).

Also, do you like the smell?

I have owned pure Mysore sandalwood oil and also a tiny vial of Australian sandalwood - they are SO VERY DIFFERENT. I liked both, it's not about 'better' or 'worse' but just complexity, smoothness, creaminess, etc. The Australian had a sort of aromatic type accord to it that was very odd, like dill weed. Very subtle, but noticeable. Still the sandalwood presence was evident and it was a treat to wear. The Mysore smelled like...well like nirvana. LOL. Wood and cream and a bit like rose petals and lacquer and maybe a tiny whiff of camphor. Amazing stuff.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th November 2012 at 09:00 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

Australian Sandalwood is a different species. It's got a more driftwood character than the good stuff.

I'd like to note here that clove leaf EO and clove bud EO are not necessarily different in quality, and neither is exclusively used in cheap or expensive perfumes. There are good and bad examples of both out there. Clove bud is the classic spice, while clove leaf has a lovely green character and is shorter-lasting.

The label writes Santal Album India, but to me it smells more like AUSTRALIAN SANDALWOOD now that im more familar with sandalwood...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It's very hard to know what kind of sandalwood you bought, since oils are many times diluted, mislabeled (intentionally and unintentionally), old (or new), etc.

What did Sun Pure Botanicals call it? Just sandalwood? If so, that's sort of misleading (like HAM...is it Smoked Ham? Boiled Ham? Country Ham?).

Also, do you like the smell?

I have owned pure Mysore sandalwood oil and also a tiny vial of Australian sandalwood - they are SO VERY DIFFERENT. I liked both, it's not about 'better' or 'worse' but just complexity, smoothness, creaminess, etc. The Australian had a sort of aromatic type accord to it that was very odd, like dill weed. Very subtle, but noticeable. Still the sandalwood presence was evident and it was a treat to wear. The Mysore smelled like...well like nirvana. LOL. Wood and cream and a bit like rose petals and lacquer and maybe a tiny whiff of camphor. Amazing stuff.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

I've bought many things from Sun Pure Botanicals. I'm pretty sure they used to have a website, but I can't seem to find it now.
    If you have questions, I'd ask them thru the ebay contact form. They have always corresponded with me.

Their oils are usually a secondary or tertiary tier of quality/aroma profile. And the price is commensurate. But if you like the odor, then that's usually what matters to me.

I don't have any of their Sandalwood to compare with my other samples, sorry. But they are price driven, more than by quality...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    The label writes Santal Album India, but to me it smells more like AUSTRALIAN SANDALWOOD now that im more familar with sandalwood...
    Pay attention to their botanical names. I saw them on eBay before and saw an oil and loved the price but then read their full description and saw that the botanical name was for a whole different type as to what I was looking for.

Daniel Kidwell
    Earth's Oils
    www.earths-oils.com

Daniel Kidwell
    Last edited by earths-oils; 23rd August 2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added signature

Angry Re: Have anyone ever tried sandalwood essential oil from Sun Pure Botanicals?

Quote Originally Posted by earths-oils View Post
    Pay attention to their botanical names. I saw them on eBay before and saw an oil and loved the price but then read their full description and saw that the botanical name was for a whole different type as to what I was looking for.

Daniel Kidwell
    Earth's Oils
    www.earths-oils.com

Daniel Kidwell

Do not buy anything from Sun Pure Botanicals!

You can do basic tests on their oils and all of the middle to higher cost oils are cut or adulterated. I did different tests on the oils because I bought a large 350$ lot of 16 oils from them. Here I open the first one (geranium) to smell it rancid. I decided "Well time to start with three smell tests and a basic paper test." I did this and found that half of the oils left very noticeable stains on the paper.

The vanilla left 3 different colored stains on the paper as it was left OVERNIGHT. This test normally is conducted in 10-15 mins with 1 drop of oil but I even checked 10 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour, 4 hours and next day and 2 days. The smell tests were from bottle, then test strips, metal stick test.

They argued my results so I decided to do tissue and water testing. I tissue tested all of the ones that had smell problems and seen no difference. The water test, I picked the vetiver, vanilla and frankincense. Here is the results of the frankincense.

0825140959a.jpg
    Start, as you can see the oil SPLIT into 2 different layers. One on the top and one on the bottom. This would not be right as if the oil was all one type of oil you would have just one density of either heavier or lighter than water.

0825141008a.jpg
    This image shows 10 minutes of "settling" to allow separation to happen. As you can see it is cloudy and has the 2 oil layers. The cloudiness points to a good chance we have alcohol adulteration in it.

0825141008.jpg
    Another one to the light

The frankincense is the only one SO FAR that I had that had separation but it is not the only one to cloud. All of them I water tested clouded from Sun Pure Botanicals. Just to be clear, these people. sun_pure_botanicals one ebay
    I could be wrong but last I checked, an oil if all the same would have the same density....

Dependent

Thanks for your research and input Daniel.

Basenotes Institution

Wow
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle