Code of Conduct

Default Emir by Dana, what should I have paid?

I just bought a very large bottle of Emir by Dana perfume for $30. It's factory sealed, no box, but the screw on lid is busted. I bought it mostly because of the amazing scent that I was able to sample from the piece of cork in the screw on top, but now I'm worried that I paid too much. I can supply pictures, if need be.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Emir by Dana, what should I have paid?

When you say very large, how large?

Welcome!

I've been lurking around on ebay for it-I've never tried it and I'm curious. The prices on ebay are higher, so if the scent is still in good state, it was a great deal (lucky you!). In general, no matter what the scent, it is really hard to find anything discontinued for less than $20-30. Of course one can find great deals in antique stores from time to time, but that is not the market price.

cacio

It appears to be about 16 oz

If you ever decide to sell it,you know where to find me!

I'll take the occasion to talk about Emir. I was recently able to get two bottles of edc on ebay, relatively cheap. Both appeared to be sealed. I must say I am a little disappointed. I was expecting a grand thing a la Tabu. Instead, the scent is quite fleeting on me. The top, if it ever had any (it's an oriental), is gone, but then I only get a faint smell. Is it my skin? What I get is a pleasant, slightly vanillic oriental (more in the direction of Shalimar than of its big brother Tabu), good, but, again, very very subdued.

cacio

It may be the fact that this boy is quite old.I haven't got a good bottle of it yet.Got the one in the gift box-2 fl + tiny little one too.Cannot be used at all-the bottles were sealed!- it smells really stuffy and atticy (that's a word for you!) so I guess you are lucky that you can still use them.I've bought a soap and a powder today (for a small fortune!) in the hope that I'll find out the real Emir.I'll probably succumb in a little while and get a sample for The Perfumed Court and stop azonizing about it.That was the first episode of Le Chat's torment by l'Emir.
    Do you think it is made by Jean Carles?
    Nicole

Funny, one of my two bottles is also the one in the box. It is not uncommon for old perfumes to have a musty top - a sign that some notes are gone. But still, after a while, this note should go and the perfume proceed to the drydown. This being an oriental, the drydown is the whole story. Did you actually try yours on?

Since I don't smell much, I cannot say it was made by Carles. Certainly, it has none of the guts of Tabu and Shocking (or vintage Visa, if it was indeed done by him).

cacio

Visa?
    Nicole

Yes, Piguet Visa. On some sources, it is credited to Cellier (of Bandit and Fracas fame). But elsewhere to Carles. I have some vintage and indeed it smells like a fruity reworking of Tabu. The current, Angelic one is a work by Guichard (of Chinatown fame), and smells very different from the original one.

cacio

That's another trail scnet that I need to follow.Just ordered some vintage Fracas.Visa you say....
    He has allegedly created a large number of fragrances without 'signing' them.It could be.I also feel that 20 carats and Platine are his as well.All three have the same feeling.What do you think?
    Nicole

I have never smelled them, so I really don't know. In any case, the only two I know for sure are his and I have smelled are Tabu and Shocking, so I'm not sure I can generalize.

cacio

What about the ones he made for Lucien Lelong? Indicreet,Tailspin,Orgueil...
    Nicole

I haven't smelled these either. I still have a long way to go in vintage.

cacio