Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Powerhouse question

I am not sure how well defined the term is, but I think I get it. I have a few that I believe would qualify. Some I like and some I'm not so sure. Two that I like are Azzaro pour homme and Bijan men. I actually wear those outside of my home. I also have Ungaro pour l'homme I and II, Paco Rabanne, Perry Ellis (1985), Lacoste, Erox Realm. I have to be a little more patient with these. All of these fragrances seem to have something in common. Perhaps there are similarities in some of the notes. I also have some others that may not qualify as powerhouses, but they sure are zingers: Minotaure, Bijan DNA, Zino, Fahrenheit, and Antidote. All of which I like. Any suggestions about others I might try? Any suggestions regarding application for the few I'm struggling with. Please don't base your response on what is or isn't in my wardrobe. It is not up to date.
    "Rock 'n Roll: The most brutal, ugly, desperate, vicious form of expression it has been my misfortune to hear."
    Frank Sinatra (The Misguided).

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead (The Enlightened).

Default Re: Powerhouse question

Kouros by YSL
    One Man Show Gold by Bogart

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Giorgio for Men is my favorite powerhouse scent. One spray of this bad boy is all you need.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you have tried them already, but many of those you mention are fougeres (Azzaro pour homme is perhaps the quintessential fougere), so trying other in the genre could work. For instance, Caron Troisieme homme, or YSL Rive Gauche. Or you could go to the similar herbal masculines like Aramis Tuscany.

cacio

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Jones by Bond No. 9.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Giorgio for Men is my favorite powerhouse scent. One spray of this bad boy is all you need.
    +1 I remember buying this and over applying with just two or three sprays. This has nuclear sillage and should have a warning on the bottle.lol

Joint for Men and Lauder for Men are great, along with the vintage versions of Red for Men by GBH, Boss Cologne (now #1), Catalyst for Men, Lagerfeld Cologne (now Lagerfeld Classic), Jaguar, Xeryus, and Oscar Pour Lui. There's also Montana Parfum d'Homme, Cellini by Faberge, One Man Show (I've now got vintage OMS and it's better, IMO), Missoni Uomo, Olypios, Leonard Pour Homme, Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentrate, Pheromone for Men by Miglin, and Homme de Gres.

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel Antaeus
    Versace l'Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I'm going to check some of these out on eBay. Would you suggest this site as a source for fragrances? I have never tried it.
    "Rock 'n Roll: The most brutal, ugly, desperate, vicious form of expression it has been my misfortune to hear."
    Frank Sinatra (The Misguided).

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead (The Enlightened).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Kouros, Black XS, 1Million, Le Male, L'Instant, Polo Green, Lapidus, Joop!Homme, Dior Homme...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

There are 1000s of powerhouse-threads here and they all need a serious reworking for a single boring reason: the supposed powerhouse-scents of the past have gone through reformulations that cannot be described other than with the word "castration". Now this may be satisfying for the followers of the "cult of quiet", but the lack of squillo and persistence is - per definitionem - the declaration of bankruptcy for any "powerhouse"-fragrance.
    Last edited by Candide; 18th July 2012 at 11:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    ...the supposed powerhouse-scents of the past have gone through reformulations that cannot be described other than with the word "castration"...

Not entirely correct. Many old PH's smell the same today as then IMO. Also, I lived though those years and had several & many people don't realize that scents age in the bottle as well unless kept in laboratory conditions, so when they compare a bottle made in 1978 with one made today they say "reformulated" & that is not always the case.

Paul Sebastian PS. BOOOOOM.

Post Thanks / Like

Aramis seem to be keeping the flame alive, +1 on Tuscany as one to try. Lauder Brasil Dreams for Men (same company, Lauder owns Aramis) is a throwback to that golden age - ignore the name and packaging.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for something a little "greener", you could try Alfred Sung Pour Homme. The opening smells a bit like Irish Spring soap and the dry down is very woody. The projection and dry down are powerhouse worthy. Plus it is purlple.

I just saw a bottle at Marshall's for $9.99.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with others: Giorgio by beverly hills is one powerhouse that needs a license to carry around. Lapidus Pour homme is another excellent Powerhouse. Red by Giorgio. Quorum. One man show Gold edition. There are a few that are not powerhouses but are characteristics of powerhouses like Lomani Pour homme, Mesmerize by Avon, Mr. Blass..... All great fragrances. Hoped this helps