Code of Conduct

Default Dior's Vetiver....

Never fails...whenever I wear this fragrance I wonder why it doesn't seem to get more press on here. There is something so simple yet so right about this. My favorite vetiver was always Givenchy until I first tried this. Now I just switch between the two. A generous BN'er has sent me a generous sample of Creed's Original Vetiver and I am very much looking forward to sampling that also. Seems everyone acknowledges the classic Givenchy Vetyver is...for my taste so is Dior's. It is one of those fragrances that simply feel right every time I wear it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Default Re: Dior's Vetiver....

I agree. It was my first true vetiver scent and it taught me to love the note. Now I have 7 (I think) vetivers and it still ranks near the top. Absolutely smooth with the delightful citrus kick. More people need to check it out before it's gone. Word is it's being discontinued, which is a shame.

It a wonderful vetiver fragrance and glad I have it.

I agree. It's one of my favorite vetiver fragrances.

Probably will get it from the Dior boutique by this month. Tried it and ambre nuit while I bought bois dargent last time. Definitely on par with Original Vetiver as the smoothest vetiver I ever sniffed.

I like this one a lot, too.

When they told me it was being dropped from the line I sort of scratched my head - I am still hoping the SA only meant HK (officially off the shelves here already) but we'll see. My absolute favourite is Vetiver Pour Elle, which shares some aspects with the Dior, and Guerlain have definitely ceased production on that one . . . it's all a bit of a worry, really. I'm not a big fan of the darker vetivers like Sycomore and Extraordinaire so what to do now?

Basenotes Plus

^^^ Have you tried Sel de Vetiver from TDC? Also Atelier Vetiver Fatal. Both are lighter citrus type Vetivers.

Thanks for the thought!

I like the TDC, I had a 10ml travel bottle a few years back and may get a proper bottle at some point, especially with these other two being discontinued. I tried Vetiver Fatal for the first time last week - hedonist was in town and left me a decant. I like it, first impression is that it leans more gourmand like Vetiver Tonka (which I really enjoy). Will be wearing it a bit more over the next few weeks to get a handle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    When they told me it was being dropped from the line I sort of scratched my head - I am still hoping the SA only meant HK (officially off the shelves here already) but we'll see.
    I read (somewhere here on BN) that Dior was axing Vetiver, but during the BN meetup, I asked an SA at Dior if the Vetiver was going to be discontinued and she said no and made a face as if that was a ludicrous thing to even suggest. Glad that's the case as I probably won't get around to buying it until next year year sometime. But yeah, IMHO, it's a killer vetiver frag, comparable in quality (to me at least) to Hermes Vetiver Tonka.

Really smooth vetiver is right. Right up there with TF Grey Vetiver as my favorite work scent...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    Never fails...whenever I wear this fragrance I wonder why it doesn't seem to get more press on here. There is something so simple yet so right about this. My favorite vetiver was always Givenchy until I first tried this. Now I just switch between the two. A generous BN'er has sent me a generous sample of Creed's Original Vetiver and I am very much looking forward to sampling that also. Seems everyone acknowledges the classic Givenchy Vetyver is...for my taste so is Dior's. It is one of those fragrances that simply feel right every time I wear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I like this one a lot, too.

When they told me it was being dropped from the line I sort of scratched my head - I am still hoping the SA only meant HK (officially off the shelves here already) but we'll see. My absolute favourite is Vetiver Pour Elle, which shares some aspects with the Dior, and Guerlain have definitely ceased production on that one . . . it's all a bit of a worry, really. I'm not a big fan of the darker vetivers like Sycomore and Extraordinaire so what to do now?
    Well it is obvious you two gentlemen prefer South American (Haitian apparently) vetiver over the more rootier and denser Indian Ocean vetiver.

Its on the tip of my tongue. I remember another vetiver being very similar to Dior's vetiver.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    I read (somewhere here on BN) that Dior was axing Vetiver, but during the BN meetup, I asked an SA at Dior if the Vetiver was going to be discontinued and she said no and made a face as if that was a ludicrous thing to even suggest. Glad that's the case as I probably won't get around to buying it until next year year sometime. But yeah, IMHO, it's a killer vetiver frag, comparable in quality (to me at least) to Hermes Vetiver Tonka.
    I've just been told by the Dior SA at Selfridges (Oxford Street) that Vetiver has indeed been discontinued. In fact they only have the huge bottles left in stock. For £180. Don't all rush at once!

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Well it is obvious you two gentlemen prefer South American (Haitian apparently) vetiver over the more rootier and denser Indian Ocean vetiver.

Its on the tip of my tongue. I remember another vetiver being very similar to Dior's vetiver.
    Thanks for that, hedonist. Let me know if you remember the other one . . .

Basenotes Plus

Could it have been Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vetiver (discontinued). They used the Haitian Vetiver.

Basenotes Institution

I had a teensy sample in my messenger bag here at the office, so I just sprayed it on at my desk.

I like it, but there is something about it that is a bit too...flat for my tastes. The texture smells flat to my nose. I love vetivers, a lot, I own Sycomore, vintage Guerlain EdC, vintage Route du Vetiver, this summer I had a decant of Sel de Vetiver and I went through it really quickly. So I know I like vetiver but this one just uninspires me.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Could it have been Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vetiver (discontinued). They used the Haitian Vetiver.
    Will look out for it, thanks!

I'm finding the recent version of Guerlain Vetiver pretty nice, too - it has a brighter 'lift' to it than previously. I know that's probably a heretical thing to say but there ya go. May pick one up when they do the Xmas pack with Shower Gel etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I've just been told by the Dior SA at Selfridges (Oxford Street) that Vetiver has indeed been discontinued. In fact they only have the huge bottles left in stock. For £180. Don't all rush at once!
    Glad I bought mine!

There are a limited number of vetiver scents that I really love, and this is one.

Yeah I'm not sold on Dior's Vetiver - I see it as too bright (that's not the best word) and crisp, my main complaint with Guerlain's Vetiver.
    I can certainly recognise the quality, though - that whole line has been well crafted, even the Patchouli Imperial impressed me, and I don't really like patch frags.

Encre Noire and Sycomore are the vetivers for me.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Yeah I'm not sold on Dior's Vetiver - I see it as too bright (that's not the best word) and crisp, my main complaint with Guerlain's Vetiver.
    I can certainly recognise the quality, though - that whole line has been well crafted, even the Patchouli Imperial impressed me, and I don't really like patch frags.

Encre Noire and Sycomore are the vetivers for me.
    I second this 100% - I see exactly where you're coming from here and I think "too bright" is spot on for Dior and Guerlain's offerings. Sycomore for me too - all the way!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Glad I bought mine!

There are a limited number of vetiver scents that I really love, and this is one.
    Fortunately for my wallet I love lots of vetivers but I do agree this is great stuff. One of the best of the 'grassy' type. From my collection the Givenchy is probably the closest in scent.

Yeah, it's a very very sad news that Dior decided to discontinue "Vetiver". I'm so pissed off ! A SA in Paris told me that Dior wishes to only keep twelve frags for their Prive line which is a shame... So once they launch a new frag, you can be sure that another gem will disappear... The two last additions have been "Grand Bal" and "Oud Ispahan" : as a result, Vetiver has been discontinued and so will "Eau noire" (Eau noire confirmed by two different SA)...

I recently bought a 125 ml bottle of Vetiver but this won't do... I think I'll have to purchase another 250 ml.

In the Dior boutique in NYC there weren't any Vetiver bottles out for display but forgot to inquire about it. Then I went to Bergdorf Goodman just down the road and they had two bottles on display and the Dior rep told me that it's not discontinued and they have plenty in stock. Weird.

I too have spoken with Dior reps (for the Private Collection at SF's Neiman Marcus) and they have confirmed that Vetiver is not discontinued. Mitzah, however, is on the chopping block (which is too bad, as it's a lovely incense/amber).

From a blog review on Mitzah and with some words on the discontinuation issue:

UPDATE - 3/2/2013: I just spoke with the Dior Beauty Stylist, Karina Lake, at the Dior Las Vegas boutique. The perfume is NOT being discontinued from either the Dior website or from actual free-standing Dior boutiques. She just returned from Paris and a training session at Dior Beauty; she is adamant that the perfume is permanent. It is, however, being removed temporarily from Dior shops in department stores, such as Neiman Marcus, Galleries Lafayette, and the like. Apparently, Dior rotates out 6 of their Privée fragrances at a time in such venues, to make way for others in the collection. That is what is happening to Mitzah. However, Mitzah will remain continuously on the website and at their actual shops.

http://akafkaesquelife.wordpress.com...to-diors-muse/

^^^ nice

Great light green grassy vetiver scent with slightly nutty aroma.'i love it. This is what Vetiver pour elle should have been. Vetiver pour elle smells just like soap, don't like it.

Is LANVIN VETYVER really overlooked?
    Or is it really so so..?

Quote Originally Posted by karon View Post
    Is LANVIN VETYVER really overlooked?
    Or is it really so so..?
    It's the lightest vetiver scent I know of - mainly because I have extreme difficulty detecting any actual vetiver in it.
    Regards,
    Renato

I was in Paris last week and talked to the Dior vendor at Printemps. She still had vetiver there, but said that soon it will be taken out of store and will be available only in France by request. I think that the "only in France" part could have been just to make a sale. So, anyway, it's just to stress what Maque was saying. It should still be available, though not easy to find. But then the Dior exclusives are not easy to find anyway.

cacio

It seems to be discontinued by now. I was just at the Dior boutique in Lyon, and it was missing from the Collection Privée lineup there. I asked, and they said they still had a few bottles left in stock, but that it was "finished" and would not be continued or put back on display. I also noticed BTW that Vétiver was missing from the brand-new Collection Privée display at the Dior counter at Copenhagen Airport (all the others were there). So it seems, indeed, Vétiver has now been pulled...

I find this one little to bright
    To me Mona di Orio is more toned down version

Definitely discontinued.

for swap/sale:

I love Sycomore, Encre Noir and Route de Vetiver. Considering I like the aforementioned fragrances a great deal, is there anything that sets this apart enough for me to blind buy?

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I love Sycomore, Encre Noir and Route de Vetiver. Considering I like the aforementioned fragrances a great deal, is there anything that sets this apart enough for me to blind buy?
    Yeah. Those three ae actually closer to each other (redundant) than they are to Dior's Vetiver.

The three you mention sway towards the darker and more intense side whist the Dior pendulum is fresher and more straightforward. But not in the cologne or lemony fresh way. Au contraire , there are not lemons or limes in the Dior.
    Th freshness comes form the very nature of the South American Vetiver species.

for swap/sale:

Shoot...now you've got me wanting to throw $164 down on a bottle. Is the grapefruit detectable and how is the longevity on this one?

Yeah. Those three ae actually closer to each other (redundant) than they are to Dior's Vetiver.

The three you mention sway towards the darker and more intense side whist the Dior pendulum is fresher and more straightforward. But not in the cologne or lemony fresh way. Au contraire , there are not lemons or limes in the Dior.
    Th freshness comes form the very nature of the South American Vetiver species.

Just ordered a bottle of Dior Vetiver from their website. Already have 50mls, but if it is truly going to be discontinued, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a backup.

Shoot...now you've got me wanting to throw $164 down on a bottle. Is the grapefruit detectable and how is the longevity on this one?
    I shared the grapefruit apprehension.

Barely detectable. I.e: it's not bitter like in Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Just ordered a bottle of Dior Vetiver from their website. Already have 50mls, but if it is truly going to be discontinued, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a backup.
    Confirmed by several sources including the boutique.

for swap/sale:

How about the longevity? Does it compare to Encre Noir? I don't expect it to beat Sycomore in these terms as I usually get 9+ from Sycomore, about 7-8 from EN.

How about the longevity? Does it compare to Encre Noir? I don't expect it to beat Sycomore in these terms as I usually get 9+ from Sycomore, about 7-8 from EN.
    Not as tenacious as those two but not far behind either.

for swap/sale:

If I had known that Vetiver was for sure on the chopping block I would have purchased it while I was in NYC. Shame, I was a given a 5 ml official sample and Vetiver has really grown on me. Very soft, refined and bright Vetiver that smells as if just slowly being grown on the salty beachside. Great stuff.

Just pulled the trigger...haven't sniffed this one. Definitely my most expensive blind buy. Hope it's a good one!

Backup of Vetiver - Dior

Got it engraved too

for swap/sale:

I think vetiver can still be ordered from the NYC boutique - at least that's what happened with me. I was in the store and wanted to buy, but they didn't have it there. But they took the order and shipped it - the shipping fee is big ($20 I believe), but one doesn't pay the sales tax.

Beautiful engraved bottle ...

cacio

Buying online through Dior I avoided the shipping and paid sales tax which was a little less than the $20 you paid in shipping cacio. Strange.. don't know why they'd charge you such a high rate. I got free 2 day UPS with my order.

Beautiful engraving. Did you do it yourself?

Hmm, I should have known my way around with Dior... they charged the full Fedex shipping cost. At least, no sales tax since there's no Dior store in DC (it's technically in Maryland).

cacio

There are 2 Dior stores in NYC one by the Bergdorf and bigger one in the Village downtown.

Nothing does it better for me than encre noir.

To those of you that helped me complete the blind purchase of Dior's Vetiver, I have give you a big THANK YOU. This stuff is absolutely incredible. I though I might enjoy this as much as Sycomore. However, I'm enjoying this one so much more than Sycomore and it's only been about an hour since application. The heavy dose of vetiver is supported by refreshing grapefruit notes which keeps the vetiver from becoming too pungent off the top. I can't wait to see how this one progresses throughout the day.

Basenotes Institution

Yeah, the Dior is a great vetiver for summer. I rarely wear Sycomore in warm weather, mostly defaulting to my Guerlain Vetiver EdC and my Prada Infusion de Vetiver as summer-vetivers but the Dior is a nice clean-cut and well done option.

- - - Updated - - -

Backup of Vetiver - Dior

Got it engraved too
    Wow - very cool. I don't remember them doing that at the Dior boutique in Vegas, when we were there.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Mike, your nose and expertise are always appreciated. Thanks for swaying many of my decisions the right way!

I am very impressed with the way Dior Vetiver has mellowed out after 3 hours or so. It's settled down, now it's lying closer to the skin it smells like fresh cut grass after a long rain that has dampened the soil...when the sun starts to bake the muddy lawn on a hot summer day. I thought it was pretty expensive at $160...after trying this out today and seeing the size of the bottle it's actually quite a good deal. I just hope I don't go through it too fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yeah, the Dior is a great vetiver for summer. I rarely wear Sycomore in warm weather, mostly defaulting to my Guerlain Vetiver EdC and my Prada Infusion de Vetiver as summer-vetivers but the Dior is a nice clean-cut and well done option.