Code of Conduct

Thread: Ormonde Jayne

Basenotes Plus

Default Ormonde Jayne

I recently ordered Ormonde Jayne Man. It arrived today. To sum it up, the shipment was first class. It came in a beautiful black box, with the perfume wrapped nicely inside. Very professional.

While they are still having free worldwide shipping, are there any other fragrances that I should be interested in purchasing?

Default Re: Ormonde Jayne

Glad to hear they are 1st class. I recently received a split of this stuff and I loved it -- I have it on my "to do" list to go up there and purchase a full bottle soon. I am not familiar with any others however.

If you try Zizan or Isfarkand, please report back - I am very curious about these. The notes for both sound like something I would like, but neither seems to get much love.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Have been curious about this scent because of the black hemlock note, can anyone describe what this note smells like if possiable?

I've tried Zizan and wasn't impressed at all, its one of those citrics that smell on the borderline of being a step up from lemony Flash, I haven't tried Isfarkand yet.

Sign me up as another member of the Ormonde Man fan club though. Seriously great scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Have been curious about this scent because of the black hemlock note, can anyone describe what this note smells like if possiable?
    I love this stuff...I did a little research and came across a review from Now Smell This with a link that might help explain what black hemlock is:

http://www.paghat.com/westernhemlock.html

To the original poster I have not tried anything else from this house but I am a huge fan of Man.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Great packaging indeed. My favorite from the house is Tiare (citrusy green chypre), and I also own Tolu (deep oriental). If you really like Man, I find the Woman richer and less aquatic, though they are to some extent substitutable. Like Kron, I am not too impressed with the other two scents marketed to men.

As for hemlock, I have not smelled the extract per se, but the Ormondes are very cedary, so I assume it smells somewhat like that. Whether it also has some of the mossy greeenness of the scent, or that's added separately, I don't know.

Note that OJ has free shipping once or twice a year, kind of randomly.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    If you really like Man, I find the Woman richer and less aquatic, though they are to some extent substitutable.

cacio
    The sample they sent with Man was Women, and I sprayed it on my hand a bot earlier. I agree, it is richer with a much warmer drydown, which I see the Amber playing a leading roll. It is a bit powdery when compared to man, but very likeable.

I took a look at the notes for Tolu, and they look fantastic.

As always, appreciate your imput.

Ok, nice prices for this, about in line with Tauer, $125 or so.

Tolu is a classic animalic oriental, somewhere in the region between Youth Dew, Tabu, and Shalimar. Vanillic but not as vanillic as Shalimar; animalic, but not as animalic as Tabu. If you like the scents above, it should be ok, but if you don't, then you probably won't like it either.

I also like their bath oils a lot - but I am one of the few users of bath oils for the shower.

cacio

I also like their bath oils a lot - but I am one of the few users of bath oils for the shower.
    If you don't mind my asking, how do you use bath oils in the shower?

I mix some scented bath oil with Eucerin shower oil. I like the Eucerin because it doesn't dry my skin too much (I go to the pool most days). But I like to add some scent to it. Unfortunately, bath oils are not very common, but OJ, in English style, has them for most of the line.

A traditional way to use them though is after the shower, a little massage on the still wet skin. But here one has to be careful because they do not get absorbed and can stain clothes.

cacio

I think all that 'hemlock' stuff was a bunch of BS - they were looking for some kind of pretentious handle to sell the scent. It's impossible to identify what it could be in the aromachemical mix. I actually find the whole range quite ghastly: they are loaded with pepper, aldehydes and excessive ISO super. All feature a brief blast of limey citrus for 5 minutes. Don't like 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    I recently ordered Ormonde Jayne Man. It arrived today. To sum it up, the shipment was first class. It came in a beautiful black box, with the perfume wrapped nicely inside. Very professional.

While they are still having free worldwide shipping, are there any other fragrances that I should be interested in purchasing?

OJ Man & Woman are great, the best of the line, i really like it

where as Zizan, Isfarkand and Ta'if is just a shadow of those 2 great.
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I mix some scented bath oil with Eucerin shower oil. I like the Eucerin because it doesn't dry my skin too much (I go to the pool most days). But I like to add some scent to it. Unfortunately, bath oils are not very common, but OJ, in English style, has them for most of the line.

A traditional way to use them though is after the shower, a little massage on the still wet skin. But here one has to be careful because they do not get absorbed and can stain clothes.

cacio
    Thanks, cacio!

Congratulations on you purchase. Ormonde Man is a top notch composition too often overlooked. I agree Ormonde Woman is richer but what I really find attractive about Ormonde Man is exactly its bone-dry structure. Tolu and Tiare would be my next picks.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I thought Ormonde Man was just okay. The longevity wasn't great on me.
    Last edited by morrison74; 29th October 2012 at 02:50 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

My favourites are Orris Noir and Frangipani.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

It's a green, cedar-like scent. Pencil shavings and young pine needles with kind of a sharp, piquant "buzz"... almost like a radish or parsnip scent.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Ormonde Man is a truly classy scent, great purchase! I recommend Frangipani - an uplifting and bright floral with a lovely creamy drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I think all that 'hemlock' stuff was a bunch of BS - they were looking for some kind of pretentious handle to sell the scent. It's impossible to identify what it could be in the aromachemical mix. I actually find the whole range quite ghastly: they are loaded with pepper, aldehydes and excessive ISO super. All feature a brief blast of limey citrus for 5 minutes. Don't like 'em!
    I thought I was the only one -- all of them short lived watery concoctions. Don't be fooled by the Zizan top notes either, which are good -- the drydown smells really cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Don't be fooled by the Zizan top notes either, which are good -- the drydown smells really cheap.
    This is possibly their worst fragrance ever.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Member

I'm not good at describing scent. But one thing I do know that this scent is fantastic! I love it really. Looking forward to traveling to London this coming winter and visit the store. Gonna buy it for sure