Code of Conduct

Question Please compare Tobacco Vanille to Mona di Orios Vanille fragrances

Unfortunately, it´s kind of hard for me to try Mona di Orios fragrances, so I´m trying to get a few opinions before I get into them. I currently own TV, however for some time, I find it very unpleasant in terms of it being harsh, and I don´t like the opening anymore as it´s too spicy. I´d prefer a much smoother vanilla but without being too feminine (I like SDV, but it´s just a tad too feminine on my skin). Are MdO fragrances worth checking out?

Default Re: Please compare Tobacco Vanille to Mona di Orios Vanille fragrances

Very different vanillas but the good news with the Mona's intrepretation of the note is that it is quite restrained and not in the least overwhelming or sickly and is quite unisex. The following is my review of Monas Vanilla fragrance:

On application I'm getting a blast of orange and cloves with woods quickly arriving behind it. After a while I start to notice tonka bean with vetiver underpinning it.

It stays unsweetened for a good few hours and it's like your smelling the tonka bean directly but its giving you a slight hint of what is to come.

In the basenotes the vanilla and a touch of ambre come to the forefront and it starts to get sweeter but not too much.

This fragrance is complex and smells good but it is a unusual take on vanilla. If you like your vanilla full on you may be underwhelmed and unsatisfied. Though if you find vanilla to cloying and sickly then this is what you may be looking for.

A good complex vanille fragrance that is restrained but still a delight too smell.

Sound Scents

MdO Vanille is completely different than TV... It has a very nice orange and dry rum laced vanilla bean heart without the powdery facets commonly found in many offerings on the market, with a subtle woody backbone. The scent also unlike most on the market is relatively unsweet on the whole. It is my favorite vanilla scent and is extremely easy to wear for a guy, IMO. LuckyScent sells samples, btw.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Plus

I agree with all that is said. Although I own and like TV, there are times when I am not up for the harsh tobacco note of TV.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have never found TV to be overly harsh. Then again, I have always enjoyed the men's powerhouse fragrances. The spicy opening of TV is absolutely wonderful, I would not have purchased it otherwise. It is a very mature, men's fragrance and vastly different from the semi-feminine fragrances that are put out today and labeled Homme or Pour Homme. The fragrance community is making a 'killing' selling us on more feminine type fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Scent7 View Post
    Are MdO fragrances worth checking out?
    IMO Yes.

Mona's Vanille is far more better and wearable than Tobacco Vanille imo.

Quote Originally Posted by leto View Post
    Mona's Vanille is far more better and wearable than Tobacco Vanille imo.
    I disagree and have found the opposite to be the case. But since we're talking about vanilla, Guerlain's SDV is the whip, it can't be beat.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

As a male, I prefer TV Tobacco Vanille. Sometimes, I simply want a more masculine vanilla based scent.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    I disagree and have found the opposite to be the case. But since we're talking about vanilla, Guerlain's SDV is the whip, it can't be beat.
    Except by the MdO Vanille, IMO. ;-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

As it's been said they are completely different. I get way more enjoyment out of Mona's though.