Code of Conduct

Default How do you properly apply perfume?

When I wear body spray, I tend to spray it in the air and walk through it, and when I wear perfume/cologne I tend to either roll it on pulse points (neck and elbows) or spray it on my...clavicle I guess (because with spray perfumes I only really want to wear one spray.) Sometimes if it's VERY strong I'll spray on a cotton ball and dab it on from there. Am I doing it right?

I've never worn "good" perfume...the best I've worn is Usher (the men's version, even though I'm a girl. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I went through a phase where I liked it for a while.)

- - - Updated - - -

I should add, I find the "spray in the air and walk through" to be pretty wasteful- which I don't mind if it's body spray (a bottle of that lasts me over a year anyway!) but if it's something I paid $70+ for, I don't want to waste it!

Default Re: How do you properly apply perfume?

There were a few threads in the past about how to apply perfume, and as imagined, tastes vary a lot. The elbow is an excellent place to apply perfume (unlike the wrist), as are most other body parts. The cotton ball is also an excellent method - but there's an older method with cotton balls, especially for expensive extraits: apply perfume on a cotton ball and then put the cotton ball in your cleavage. The cotton keeps the perfume much longer than the skin.

I agree that the walk through method is a waste. It was thought for very strong frags, or for people who wanted a quieter whiff.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I agree that the walk through method is a waste. It was thought for very strong frags, or for people who wanted a quieter whiff.

cacio
    I agree with that...I definitely do want my perfume to be "quiet" but so far I've worn rather "loud" perfumes: Charlie Red (I'm revisiting that one right now actually...very carefully applied so I don't choke myself!), Usher, a plumeria scent that has some of what I consider pretty loud aldehydes. One spray of these is more than enough! (I think I actually prefer the non-spray bottles...I feel like I don't have much control with the spray bottles.)

Kaelee,

You should spray perfume in a way that suits your desire for personal projection (the amount of perfume you are able to smell) and secondly by the image you wish to project.

Some people enjoy constant personal projection but with minimal social-presence (a shorter sillage trail). So they would dan or spray very closely to a few pulse points. Concentration on the pulse points will give of intense , albeit personal, whiffs of the perfume primarily when stationary. Not so much when on the move.

Others want projection constantly will spray 15 sprays around the neck and chest area. And a few sprays on the arm for personal enjoyment/analytical testing.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Some people enjoy constant personal projection but with minimal social-presence (a shorter sillage trail). So they would dan or spray very closely to a few pulse points. Concentration on the pulse points will give of intense , albeit personal, whiffs of the perfume primarily when stationary. Not so much when on the move.
    This sounds like exactly what I want to achieve! Thank you! I will try it this way.

For me, 3 sprays - two to the neck and one to the chest work best.

My usual method is one spray to the back of my neck and one to my stomach. This puts the perfume just far enough away, and blocks its projection a bit (I have long hair to block the neck perfume, and of course I'm wearing a shirt. ) The perfume releases slowly so that I don't get an overdose of it. With strong dabbers/rollons, I usually do the same thing, only dabbing. With weak dabbers/rollons, I may also apply to my inner forearm, so I can raise my arm and sniff when the initial application starts to fade away.

On the rare occasions when I use more than two sprays total, I just add more sprays to the same locations. For strong perfumes where two sprays is excessive, I just do the back of the neck.

I feel ya I too feel a lack of control with spray bottles. But for some reason I never ask if a splash option is available... Does anybody know how common these are?

If you can't find a splash option (there often isn't one) you could buy some dabber bottles or rollon bottles, and some funnels, and fill the dabber/rollons for daily use by inserting the funnel into the substitute bottle and spraying into it. You usually get a bit stinky from overspray and an occasional drip, but the stinkiness is just once per decanting session.

I wouldn't recommend transferring the entire bottle because I wouldn't necessarily assume that the substitute bottle would be as good at protecting the perfume, but you could decant a few milliliters at a time.

Application is based on the strength of the perfume. If you have a perfume let's use Usher for example that is not very strong I would apply atleast 10 sprays because since it's a light scent you will need to apply enough where you and other people can smell it on you. I would start by doing a double spray to the chest, a double spray to lower ab below the belly button, a double spray to each inner elbow and a double spray to the back of the neck. 10 sprays total. For strong scents I would use the same application just with a single spray instead of a double. Now if you have a really strong perfume I would say do only one to the chest and one on each inner elbow for 3 sprays total. Hope this helps I know this application work for me.

Neck, clavicle and wrists. I never rub my wrists as many do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    Application is based on the strength of the perfume. If you have a perfume let's use Usher for example that is not very strong I would apply atleast 10 sprays
    Yow! I realize that some men wear that much, but this poster is a woman who's been using the walk-thorugh-the-spray method. I used to use that method, and even after about four years of increasing perfume freakery, the only perfume that I _ever_ apply as many as five sprays of, is Osmanthe Yunnan. And that's when I'll be home alone.

10 sprays...? I don't even use 10 sprays with EDC's...
    Typically I'll spray 2 on my chest and 2 on my neck, along with 1 on either forearm.
    For scents that tend to be overpowering (Ex: Pure Malt). I will do 1 on my chest and 1 on my neck.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    Yow! I realize that some men wear that much, but this poster is a woman who's been using the walk-thorugh-the-spray method. I used to use that method, and even after about four years of increasing perfume freakery, the only perfume that I _ever_ apply as many as five sprays of, is Osmanthe Yunnan. And that's when I'll be home alone.
    Haha! That's what I was thinking...I think Usher is a pretty strong scent (but by "strong" it might be more "overpowering" ie: the scent isn't all THAT STRONG but it's a type of scent that is easy to overdo for me. A warm spicy scent might be stronger but I still might apply more of it. Make sense?)

Whatever works for you of course...if I wore anywhere near that much I'd gag.

Splash Bottles Suck

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    the only perfume that I _ever_ apply as many as five sprays of, is Osmanthe Yunnan.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me, 3 sprays - two to the neck and one to the chest work best.
    samesies

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    Haha! That's what I was thinking...I think Usher is a pretty strong scent (but by "strong" it might be more "overpowering" ie: the scent isn't all THAT STRONG but it's a type of scent that is easy to overdo for me. A warm spicy scent might be stronger but I still might apply more of it. Make sense?)

Whatever works for you of course...if I wore anywhere near that much I'd gag.
    What's weird about it is that everytime i have worn that many sprays it's never been too strong on me and noone has ever complained about me being too strong. I feel with weaker scents you have to apply more sprays so you can enjoy it as well as others around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    What's weird about it is that everytime i have worn that many sprays it's never been too strong on me and noone has ever complained about me being too strong. I feel with weaker scents you have to apply more sprays so you can enjoy it as well as others around you.
    Is it possible, though, that you're getting to olfactory fatigue and you're having to apply so very much in order to blast through that? Have you tried applying less, but well away from your nose, so that the fragrance comes to you in uneven amounts and you never overload? If I spray on my chest, I get to overload within minutes. With my back-of-the-neck strategy, I can smell the fragrance off and on for hours.

I realize that this is an ooooooold Basenotes debate. But I can't help asking.

[QUOTE=ChickenFreak;2741311]Is it possible, though, that you're getting to olfactory fatigue and you're having to apply so very much in order to blast through that?

It's possible but with stronger scents I don't get olfactory fatigue. Case in point.Lapidus Pour homme and Giorgio by beverly hills. I can only and I mean only spray 3 sprays of these tops before the scent becomes overwhelming. One on the chest and one on each inner elbow. Any more sprays than this and you become a walking nuclear power plant lol.... It within these 3 sprays it projects like a monster. I have been complimented on Lapidus from someone standing 10ft away. Imo application is always dependent on the scent strength of the fragrance. For example: I would never get the projection of Gucci guilty intense with 3 sprays as I would with Lapidus. Two totally different scents but Gucci guilty even though is a fairly moderate strong scent I would have to spray alittle extra for it to project the strength of Lapidus. Again, It all goes back to the strength of the scent itself....Hoped this helps

Another question, does the application make a difference in scent? I have a cologne I love but is usually overpowering aldehyde-y floral when I spray it on, but today for a change I sprayed it on cotton and dabbed it on pulse points instead- it smells very different! Less aldehyde, more floral, and more complex. Less 'perfumy' and overwhelming. It smells different enough that it doesn't trigger all the memories that it usually does nearly as strongly, which is a bit of a tradeoff. (my boyfriend bought it for me when we were in Hawaii together.)

Has anyone had a similar experience?

My approach for work (or when I want to be low key): Apply 1-3 sprays to a cotton ball. Rub the wet cotton ball along your neck and cleavage and then tuck it into your cleavage/bra.

This approach lasts all day, even with wimpy scents. You will need to experiment with the number of sprays because this depends on the fragrance.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Too bad for us guys. We have nowhere to hide fragrance-soaked cotton balls, lol.

Projection varies with not only fragrance potency but also with the exposed 'fragranced' surface areas and the heat radiating from them. Pulse points are just that, pulse points but as the arteries run closer to the surface at these spots they also tend to be warmer and make good application spots. You can thus spray the back of the knees esp. for stronger fragrances. But there are other warm areas on the body that make good application zones. For instance, the chest, and interestingly for me, the back. I've worn fragrances on my lower back and the projection I get is amazing, especially when it warms up with a little exertion. Don't be afraid to experiment around and find out what works best for you. I usually avoid applying to the neck for 2 reasons: to delay the onset of olfactory fatigue and uh... I doubt if fragrances taste nice.

Everyone develops a certain idiosyncratic routine after many months/years of trial and error. Two shots on either side of the neck, one shot to the chest and sometimes one more over my shirt/t-shirt and I'm set.

I used to apply 8-10 sprays but I've slowly started applying less. My nose has improved a bit so that may have something to do with it. I might turn into a lightweight who can only handle half a spray ()
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Too bad for us guys. We have nowhere to hide fragrance-soaked cotton balls, lol.

Projection varies with not only fragrance potency but also with the exposed 'fragranced' surface areas and the heat radiating from them. Pulse points are just that, pulse points but as the arteries run closer to the surface at these spots they also tend to be warmer and make good application spots. You can thus spray the back of the knees esp. for stronger fragrances. But there are other warm areas on the body that make good application zones. For instance, the chest, and interestingly for me, the back. I've worn fragrances on my lower back and the projection I get is amazing, especially when it warms up with a little exertion. Don't be afraid to experiment around and find out what works best for you. I usually avoid applying to the neck for 2 reasons: to delay the onset of olfactory fatigue and uh... I doubt if fragrances taste nice.
    ROTFL!!!!! I can tell you they don't, and my BF could never figure out why I didn't believe him when he said he wasn't wearing any perfume.

Hey guys

Sorry to reply on an old thread but I just read something on a facebook page of a fragrance boutique down here in Cape Town. I've read that a scent should be applied about an hour after stepping out of the shower because the skin will just swallow the scent if it's applied directly out of the shower. These guys say it should be applied directly out of the shower because the pores are open. What's the best way?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Parfu...80297998734951

An Acqua di Parma SA (who was surprisingly quite knowledgeable) once told me to spray on immediately getting out of the shower, before even drying myself with a towel. That will apparently lock the scent in and project more, as it will have been applied with the skin's pores open. Kind of contradicts your statement.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Kaelee,

Others want projection constantly will spray 15 sprays around the neck and chest area. And a few sprays on the arm for personal enjoyment/analytical testing.
    Try this with 'Interlude' and you are going to be leaving a trail of unconscious people

If a perfume is rare or I am trying to be as frugal as possible, I will apply it to the top side of my fore-arm because it seems to last longer due to the fact it will not rub against my body. Otherwise I usually apply to the neck and top of my hands. Weird I know, but I am who I am.

I'm very careful with the trigger. For me less is more. If my scent is strong I only spray 1 to neck/back of the neck. If my scent is a bit lighter I usually do 1 to chest (under shirt) and 1-2 to neck. Also a good way to get more longevity out of light scents is to apply just a bit to your clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post

You have a very good point about applying the fragrance to the lower back; I tried it and fragrance tends to project instead of give me olfactory fatigue.