Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jicky EdP - wow!

I haven't been into this fragrance thing for very long, but I've quickly come to like Guerlain a lot, and I've bought several fragrances. The one I've really wanted to try is Jicky, but I haven't found samples, and the stores where I live never have it.

Until today!

I passed through Debenhams to see if they had anything new and interesting - and there were testers of Jicky EdT and Parfum (but not EdP). The EdT was very nice indeed, but with more lavender and less opening skank than I'd expected. The parfum was overpoweringly concentrated skank, and one spray seemed like far too much - maybe it would mellow given time, I guess.

I asked what bottles they had in stock, and they only had EdP - one refillable 50ml bottle.

I could only sample the EdT and Parfum, and they only had EdP in stock - but it was the only time I'd seen it for sale, and there was only one bottle. So, what to do?

Well, obviously, I bought it! And now I'm home and I've tried it - wow!

I get very little lavender in the immediate opening, which to me is mainly citrus and skank, but it's there quite nicely after a few minutes. In all, it's somewhere between the EdT and the Parfum (which I guess is not surprising).

This is only a first wearing, and I've only had it on for about an hour - but my first impressions are that it's a fabulous fragrance, especially after it's settled down a little.

Do my initial thoughts make sense to Jicky lovers?
    Alan

Default Re: Jicky EdP - wow!

Excellent choice! The Parfum is also terrific . . . I happily flip between both.

Guerlain has over a century's worth of ideas to offer, plenty to explore. I wish I had just stuck with them from the start, actually

I didn't know there were three varieties of Jicky.
    I was probably the last guy before you to try it in the Liverpool Debenhams, and it has definately been in stock for at least a year.
    I like the frag but find the opening too much for a good hour.
    I would probably go for Heritage given the choice of one of their scents.

Yep, the parfum is sensational

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    .............Do my initial thoughts make sense to Jicky lovers?
    It's one of those great fragrances that always seems to have something new and interesting to say, even if you encounter it daily.

I was probably the last guy before you to try it in the Liverpool Debenhams, and it has definately been in stock for at least a year.
    Hmm, interesting. I've checked their Guerlain testers counter regularly since early summer and have never seen Jicky there before - maybe they've had it in the drawer but have had no tester out?

I would probably go for Heritage given the choice of one of their scents
    Yep, that's great too - probably my next Guerlain purchase
    Alan

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's one of those great fragrances that always seems to have something new and interesting to say, even if you encounter it daily.
    Exactly! If you can find it smell vintage EdP, also called Parfum de Toilette, I own that and the Parfum and love both equally, I never liked the EdT. Also wonderful and rare is the Eau de Cologne version, incredibly tenacious for an EdC.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

[QUOTE=Oscroft;2733184]Hmm, interesting. I've checked their Guerlain testers counter regularly since early summer and have never seen Jicky there before - maybe they've had it in the drawer but have had no tester out

I'm not sure, think it was just out with the others. They always had Habit Rouge, Vetiver Heritage and I think also Jicky and Mouchoir De Monsieur (which I slightly prefer). The only other place I could have tested it is John Lewis but I can't remember if they have a Guerlain counter (though they probably do)

I stick with the parfum, but the EdP is good too.
    As Mike says, if you can, sniff out the PdT. It's skankalicious

The only other place I could have tested it is John Lewis but I can't remember if they have a Guerlain counter (though they probably do)
    Yep, they do - I got a bottle of Mouchoir de Monsieur there a little while ago.
    Alan

There is nothing quite like it. Regarding the lavender, it is an oil rather than an absolute, so some find it rather quiet.

I love it in any form and diluition. The EDT is probably the most powdery and least interesting but still head and shoulders above the average.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Your lucky! We don't have a store with a Guerlain counter so I can try the wickdly fabulous Jicky. I will have to buy a version online, but which is the best buy?
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    Your lucky! We don't have a store with a Guerlain counter so I can try the wickdly fabulous Jicky. I will have to buy a version online, but which is the best buy?
    If you don't want to go the vintage route and don't want to splurge big tickets, the current EDP is just perfect!

Dependent

Great stuff. Actually, there are five variations of Jicky that I know about.

Vintage EdC: powdery but still civetty (probably the real thing). Not as rich and smooth as higher concentrations, more citrus and benzoin. Longevity not bad considering it's a lighter concentration. Took me longer to appreciate

EdT: Bright, delicious, crisp, big lavender, nice balance. Longevity is pretty short, about 5-6 hours on the outside.

EdP: Beautiful, smooth, rich. I own a bottle.

Vintage PdT: Was lucky enough to find a bottle randomly at a cut rate price at a store that was about to move. More potent, animalic, and sharper herbs and cedar than the EdP. Definitely my favorite I've tried.

Pure Parfum: Was going to try it on the BN Vegas trip, but couldn't make it. The Guerlain counter in Beverly Hills doesn't carry it. Looking forward.

I find (vintage) Davidoff Zino to be a denser century-later exploration of the Jicky theme, though others don't perceive the relation because Zino adds clary sage, rose, sandalwood, and patchouli. But Jicky is there in the background imo. Really like it.

Ungaro II I find quite similar to Jicky but with the civet turned up to 11. Not for the faint of heart.

Yes, the EDP is far richer than the EDT, which is rather weak.

The EDP of Jicky is wonderful and great when you don't want quite as much civet as in Mouchoir de Monsieur.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The EdP is pretty hard to come by in the US. And most of the uk online stores won't ship the Jicky EdP 50 ml refills to the US (e.g. Debenhams). Anyone know of a source for US customers?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by cloud atlas View Post
    The EdP is pretty hard to come by in the US. And most of the uk online stores won't ship the Jicky EdP 50 ml refills to the US (e.g. Debenhams). Anyone know of a source for US customers?
    Got mine at Perfume.com. They had it advertised as the PdT so I ordered it. I knew it was probably the EdP but it was worth the risk. And it was the EdP. Terrific juice.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Got mine at Perfume.com. They had it advertised as the PdT so I ordered it. I knew it was probably the EdP but it was worth the risk. And it was the EdP. Terrific juice.

Thanks for the lead, but unfortunately, only showing pure perfume or EDT, no EDP.

It is indeed amazing! Love the dry down most especially.

Puts hand up. I own the pdt(have a spare) and the parfum. Never into the fancy gold cases, though I do have a few. Mine are all the refill glass bottles.

For some reason I always avoid the edt versions if possible in Guerlain, yes I love MdM and cannot imagine it in edp.

Okay, I love lavender but it never hangs round on my skin. Jicky pdt and parfum on me at least are all about the civet and woods.
    DONNA

Do my initial thoughts make sense to Jicky lovers?
    I think the parfum is less skanky than the EdP. It's richer and feels more plush and herbal, but with the civet less prominent. Both are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I agree with alfarom. You can't go wrong with the EdP. It's the best bang for the buck.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The EdP is great. I too love the old PdT. It is decadent, broodingly improper (sexy) and refined in a Mouchoir de Monsieur way at the same time. I love splashing the EdP on me and complement it with a few spritzes of the Extrait. I find the current EdP to be darker, less 'floral' in feel compared to the Extrait. Contrary to the past, I perceive the current Extrait to be skankier than the EdP.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes and I really like the vintage EdT, too. It has a citric creaminess combined with the skank that makes it rather special.

After spending nearly 24 hours with it, I like this EdP even more. The lavender is indeed fleeting, but it's soft and subtle, and it's a really nice phase in the development - and it's a surprisingly complex development.

If I should see any of the vintage PdT, I'll snap it up!

- - - Updated - - -

I find (vintage) Davidoff Zino to be a denser century-later exploration of the Jicky theme, though others don't perceive the relation because Zino adds clary sage, rose, sandalwood, and patchouli. But Jicky is there in the background imo. Really like it.
    I've been thinking about Zino for a while, and that's swayed me - I've just ordered a bottle. It's the current version, which I know is not as well regarded as the vintage, but it's a start.

Ungaro II I find quite similar to Jicky but with the civet turned up to 11. Not for the faint of heart
    It's now on my "To test" list - though I don't know if I'll get the chance.
    Alan

Just saw a bottle on 50ml EDP go for 40 inc P & P on ebay. I was going to bid, but I am having an abstinance phase lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    Just saw a bottle on 50ml EDP go for 40 inc P & P on ebay. I was going to bid, but I am having an abstinance phase lol

Know the feeling, I passed up a very cheap bottle of heritage..

Ungaro II I find quite similar to Jicky but with the civet turned up to 11. Not for the faint of heart.
    I had this but swapped it away. I liked the opening, and the civet overdose is cool. There was just something harsh in the drydown that I found very unpleasant. I don't know if it was me, or maybe they just didn't have the time and budget to smooth out and balance the base accords. Jicky makes a much smoother, more graceful exit.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I had this but swapped it away. I liked the opening, and the civet overdose is cool. There was just something harsh in the drydown that I found very unpleasant. I don't know if it was me, or maybe they just didn't have the time and budget to smooth out and balance the base accords. Jicky makes a much smoother, more graceful exit.
    Agreed!

Hijacking the thread, since by chance the october blind sniff included Ungaro II. Our sniffers liked it, and interestingly, though they were all women, they zoomed in right away. Some liked it enough to purchase it for their significant others. I must have a later formulation and be slightly anosmic to the civet reconstruction because I find it mostly clean. While I found it pleasant, I agree with rubegon and Larimar that Jicky is superior, richer, smoother. But Ungaro II is cheaper, even at ebay's vintage prices.

cacio

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Hijacking the thread, since by chance the october blind sniff included Ungaro II. Our sniffers liked it, and interestingly, though they were all women, they zoomed in right away. Some liked it enough to purchase it for their significant others. I must have a later formulation and be slightly anosmic to the civet reconstruction because I find it mostly clean. While I found it pleasant, I agree with rubegon and Larimar that Jicky is superior, richer, smoother. But Ungaro II is cheaper, even at ebay's vintage prices.
    There's no question Ungaro II is rougher and sharper than Jicky, as is surely intended. But I do not think it was ever reformulated.

There's no question Ungaro II is rougher and sharper than Jicky, as is surely intended. But I do not think it was ever reformulated.
    Yeah, I don't think it was around long enough to get reformulated. I think cacio just has a very high civet tolerance.

I definitely tolerate civet. It just doesn't come out of Ungaro (or Jicky, I must say) as much as it does from other older perfumes.

cacio

I guess they just don't do skank like they used to. What's a perfume that you think has a strong civet note? I have some Jicky Parfum de Toilette - it's got more kick, but I don't think more than Ungaro II.

Or do you think it's the difference between natural civet and the synthetic one? I actually have a little of each, and the synthetic is remarkably like the natural. At least I thought so when I sniffed them a long time ago, but I didn't properly tincture them to test.

Agree wth the above comments on Ungaro II - more civet than current Jicky, but overall, much less natual and plush in feel.
    That said, I love Ungaro II enough to have stockpiled a lifetime's supply.
    As for real vs synthetic civet: The genuine stuff to me, is far more nuanced. I detect also a slight smokiness which I don't get from the synthetic stuff.

Dammit! Y'all have convinced me - I just bought another bottle of Ungaro II!

Re: stuff with civet, I'm thinking vintage My Sin. But also vintage Joy has plenty of it in the deep drydown (initially, it's covered by the jasmine and rose). I suspect there are several synthetic civets, some much better than others.

cacio

Basenotes Institution

I cannot stand Ungaro II - something in it (aldehydes?) just annoys me.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

smells like lemon syrup but I think I'll buy it next time!
    the good, the bad, the ugly & the ludicrous...

I've only tried the current extrait of Jicky (thanks to the very kind 30 Roses), but WOW, is it ever amazing! I've been meaning to try the other variations for some time!
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I cannot stand Ungaro II - something in it (aldehydes?) just annoys me.
    I don't get aldehydes at all from it. There are definitely harsh bitter notes in there though. Sprayed my arm last night and got more of the spice background than usual. There are interesting facets hidden down there under the peepee.

Basenotes Institution

I don't get aldehydes at all from it. There are definitely harsh bitter notes in there though. Sprayed my arm last night and got more of the spice background than usual. There are interesting facets hidden down there under the peepee.
    I am hyper-anosmic to aldeydes, so this is probably why.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dammit! Y'all have convinced me - I just bought another bottle of Ungaro II!
    Good boy!

On a side note, after smelling real Civet Tincture, I hardly detect it in many of the "so-called" civet bombs. Ungaro II? Contains boatloads of it...

Jicky Pdt, Price 73
    http://www.johnlewis.com/102032/Product.aspx

Is there any difference in the bottles? Happy to go blind by the sounds of raving reviews.

Civetous fragrances are my favourite in all of perfumery. Something I've had success with is leaving Mouchoir de Monsieur in a shallow container, exposed to good deal of air. Left thus for a few months, it 'reduces'. Some of the alcohol evaporates, leading to a sort of impromptu extrait that is incredibly skanky. So much so that it smells as though it has gone 'off'. But it becomes quite wearable after a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Jicky Pdt, Price 73
    http://www.johnlewis.com/102032/Product.aspx

Is there any difference in the bottles? Happy to go blind by the sounds of raving reviews.
    Just to be clear, this is the current formulation EdP, not the vintage PdT. This is the one with the metal shell on it. I would just get the refill bottle for 55 quid. It looks nicer naked than with the cheap metallic shell on it, IMO. That's a pretty good deal - I think it's 95 EUR in Paris.

Dependent

I am hyper-anosmic to aldeydes, so this is probably why.
    wait, are you hyperosmic, or anosmic? they are opposites.

hyper = over
    an = not
    osmia = smell

Basenotes Institution

LOL - hyperosmic.

Speaking of Jicky...

When we had the Basenotes meetup last year, in New Orleans, we had one day that we spent in a department store (I'm thinking it was Neiman Marcus now...but honestly I cannot remember now...was it Saks?) anyway, we spent about 2 hours wandering around the entire mens/women's fragrance department, they had champagne and coffee for us and they had all of the New Releases set up on a long table so we could test them all - it was a bit overwhelming. It was highly informative and there were many things that piqued my interest but the stuff that was affordable was just 'okay' whereas the ones I 'loved' were all so expensive. At the very end of our time in that store, before we headed off for lunch, we were walking out and we walked right by the Guerlain counter, which had lot's of makeup and only about 2 or 3 bottles of fragrance out for display - one of them was Jicky in Eau de Parfum. Many BN'rs had never smelled it before so we proceeded to spritz everyone down and OMG the Basenoters all fell in love with it in a matter of minutes - it was the oddest thing to witness. Everyone was so well behaved and quiet before and then all of a sudden everyone seemed to get all passionate and emotional about Jicky and well...for those of us that own a bottle, this makes complete sense. It is one of those scents that just stops you...in your tracks. It is the Real Deal. A classic. That sounds cliche, I know, but it's true. You really have to admire something like this, that regardless of the numerous reformulations that have been done to it since it was created in 1889, it is still complex, arresting, comforting and relevant.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd October 2012 at 03:37 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Just to be clear, this is the current formulation EdP, not the vintage PdT. This is the one with the metal shell on it. I would just get the refill bottle for 55 quid. It looks nicer naked than with the cheap metallic shell on it, IMO. That's a pretty good deal - I think it's 95 EUR in Paris.
    Look at escentual.com and yes, the refill bottle is a much better offer, unless you care for the gold metal shell (that drives me crazy - it's meant to be a refill, but, heck, I am too stupid, clumsy whatever).

Man I want to try this stuff so bad

- - - Updated - - -

Is this the stuff???

http://www.amazon.com/Jicky-Perfume-Guerlain-Personal-Fragrances/dp/B0072CWNZE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_bt_1
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Man I want to try this stuff so bad

- - - Updated - - -

Is this the stuff???

http://www.amazon.com/Jicky-Perfume-...d_sim_sbs_bt_1
    No. That's the EdT. If you want to try the EdP, this won't be equivalent. Maybe one of the UK vendors ship to the US. Does anyone know of a company that ships a wide range of stuff from Europe to the US? Like a Sephora.fr that ships internationally?

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone was so well behaved and quiet before and then all of a sudden everyone seemed to get all passionate and emotional about Jicky and well...for those of us that own a bottle, this makes complete sense. It is one of those scents that just stops you...in your tracks. It is the Real Deal. A classic. That sounds cliche, I know, but it's true. You really have to admire something like this, that regardless of the numerous reformulations that have been done to it since it was created in 1889, it is still complex, arresting, comforting and relevant.
    Word, or as my wife and I like to tell each other, "palabra". Jicky is special somehow. Anyone who loves perfume owes it to themselves to experience it. Not everyone clicks with it, but for those that do, there is no perfume that is so comforting and so deliciously human.

If you like the edp, you should try the extrait. The sandalwood drydown in the extrait is sublime!

I've been thinking about Zino for a while, and that's swayed me - I've just ordered a bottle. It's the current version, which I know is not as well regarded as the vintage, but it's a start.
    My bottle of Zino arrived today - just 26 for 125ml from CheapSmells! First wearing today, and it's really good. I do get the Jicky theme in it - it seems less complex and less refined than Jicky, but for me it's there. It's a winner.
    Alan

Basenotes Institution

No. That's the EdT. If you want to try the EdP, this won't be equivalent. Maybe one of the UK vendors ship to the US. Does anyone know of a company that ships a wide range of stuff from Europe to the US? Like a Sephora.fr that ships internationally?
    Try calling the Guerlain boutique in NY at Bergdorf Goodmans, if not then try calling the Las Vegas boutique or the one at Palm Beach (in The Breakers hotel). If no one has it, then you can always call Guerlain (in France) and they ship worldwide.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by cloud atlas View Post
    If you like the edp, you should try the extrait. The sandalwood drydown in the extrait is sublime!
    I have the extrait as well. I actually prefer the EdP. I find the extrait a little too polite.

- - - Updated - - -

Strangely, I just got my Ungaro II a couple of days ago and tested it on skin. It smelled very clean, sweet and lavender-ey. I didn't find it dirty at all. Maybe my civet tolerance has gone way up since I last tried it.

- - - Updated - - -

Try calling the Guerlain boutique in NY at Bergdorf Goodmans, if not then try calling the Las Vegas boutique or the one at Palm Beach (in The Breakers hotel). If no one has it, then you can always call Guerlain (in France) and they ship worldwide.
    Guerlain France is always an option, but they charge 55 EUR flat rate for shipping. I was there last month and asked about this because I wanted to ship my Jicky 500ml EdP bee bottle. I ended up packing it into my suitcase and checking the bag.

Perhaps one of the US boutiques can special order it without the shipping charge. If so, that would be best.

They pop up on eBay occasionally too.

I just had a very good transaction with Las Vegas Guerlain boutique, done over the phone, over a Matiere line fragrance I purchased. No shipping, no tax. Service was great, got a few samples, and I would recommend them highly. . I'd guess they have what you need though I didn't ask about Jicky.

Dependent

My bottle of Zino arrived today - just 26 for 125ml from CheapSmells! First wearing today, and it's really good. I do get the Jicky theme in it - it seems less complex and less refined than Jicky, but for me it's there. It's a winner.
    Yep it's really cheap stuff; despite being discontinued, there are still piles of new old stock around. At a mainstream small fragrance kiosk recently, I was quoted $59 for the new (block letters) bottle "because it's discontinued." Glad you're able to detect the relation to Jicky too. Zino is certainly much less refined!
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 28th October 2012 at 02:36 AM.

LOL - hyperosmic.

Speaking of Jicky...

Many BN'rs had never smelled it before so we proceeded to spritz everyone down and OMG the Basenoters all fell in love with it in a matter of minutes - it was the oddest thing to witness. Everyone was so well behaved and quiet before and then all of a sudden everyone seemed to get all passionate and emotional about Jicky and well...for those of us that own a bottle, this makes complete sense. It is one of those scents that just stops you...in your tracks. It is the Real Deal. A classic. That sounds cliche, I know, but it's true. You really have to admire something like this, that regardless of the numerous reformulations that have been done to it since it was created in 1889, it is still complex, arresting, comforting and relevant.
    Great story. I agree, it is an astonishingly smooth, round, beautiful, complex, deep and startling composition. It's very arresting; it stops you in your tracks and you're somewhere else for a few seconds, lost in the history. It makes a huge impression immediately.

Jicky is a truly great perfume. Everyone here should have the EDP. The current formulation is outstanding.

Jicky EDP is my all time number one favorite scent. I never went out looking for a holy grail, but one day I simply realized that Jicky EDP is it for me.

It's awesome on so many levels it makes my head spin. That killer combination of comforting wearability, history, complexity, depth and quality is so rare.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Congrats on becoming a Jicky fan, Oscroft! It is sublime in all formulations...

Auntie Knit get out her pom-poms and cyber-cheers:

Hey Jicky...you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind...Hey JICKY, Hey JICKY

__________________________________________________ _________________________
    Mike- it was Saks in Nola. Those SA's were sure mystified with our enlivening mood over "that old stuff"...LOL! The Guerlain rep knew her makeup but not her scents. Which underscores HOW much the reps at the Las Vegas boutique knew.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Institution

...Guerlain France is always an option, but they charge 55 EUR flat rate for shipping. I was there last month and asked about this because I wanted to ship my Jicky 500ml EdP bee bottle. I ended up packing it into my suitcase and checking the bag...
    OMG, I'm jealous. You can douse yourself with it!

-- Eckhart Tolle