Code of Conduct

Default Masculine ambers?

Im drawn to to amber especially during the cold spells for some reason but most seem to sweet.
    I tried Prada and liked it but its a bit to synthetic for my liking. Almost bought Bois D'Argent but after dry down i got this modern candy floss note i did not like.
    Maybe i need to look for something that has a background amber note with more predominant wood or spices frame??

Sound Scents

Default Re: Masculine ambers?

Les Nombres d'Or Ambre by Mona di Orio and Ambre 114 by HdP are my recommendations for what you seek.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I have a lucky scent sample of 114 and think its very special but a bit of a dandy and im not sure if i have the cahoonas to pull it of. I have to try the mona di orio. I did like her vetiver.

Ambre Precieux & Ambre Dore by MPG

Ambra Mediterranea is the most masculine I have tried as this has lots of woods with the ambre though I do like Ambre 114 the best.

I love Ambre Sultan - it's amber dominant with some herbal notes in the opening that set it a bit apart from other typically heavy, dense ambers.

I think Jubilation XXV has a very nice amber base with an airy frankincense and earthy patchouli balancing out the sweetness of the amber. It's expensive, but worth it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ambre Fetiche.

Ambre 114 is nice, but the vanilla element is very strong to me. The other two I've liked best are Ambre Sultan and Omnia Profumo's Ambra.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I think Jubilation XXV has a very nice amber base with an airy frankincense and earthy patchouli balancing out the sweetness of the amber. It's expensive, but worth it.
    +1.

My very favorite amber-based fragrances are Armani Prive Ambre Orient, by Kilian Amber Oud, HdP Ambre 114, TF Amber Absolute, and Ambre Fétiche.

But my favorites that may lean a little more masculine would be Ambra Mediterranea, D&G The One and L'Air du Desert Marocain. If you are looking for a masculine amber fragrance, you may want to try some of these.

Sadly, there aren't many truly masculine Amber fragrances that I like, since to toughen them up, they usually wind up smelling dirty or overly spicy, and thus eroding much of what I like about amber fragrances to begin with.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Banned
    Blog Entries

yslm7

if i could respectfully disagree, i would say kilian's amber oud is starkly feminine, and the mona di orio one isn't feminine per se but it smells like a bar of soap. so there's that.

for masculine ambers i agree with those who said ambre sultan and ambre 114. ive warmed a bit to ambrarem (hdp) and would recommend that one too as well as tauer's LDDM (not my thing, but seems to fit what you're looking for)

for the record, i don't find dior's bois d'argent to be an amber at all, let alone candyfloss sweet. i think every amber mentioned in this thread would let you down if bois d'argent is too sweet to your nose. you mention prada too but i havent tried anything by them. this is why im still fervently in favor of a niche subforum and a designer subforum. i think the vocabularies between these two crowds varies wildly. (not to move this thread off course!) :P

Dont you agree designer scents can also be well put together , only the ingredients are cheaper?

oh yea, dont get me wrong some designers are amazing, and most people dabble in both niche and designer, but i think niche subforum and designer subforum would be far more useful than, say, male vs female which already exists.

pure malt, spicebomb, and a few others i really enjoy. im not saying niche is better than designer or vice versa, i just think it'd facilitate more effective conversation amongst likeminded folks.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    if i could respectfully disagree, i would say kilian's amber oud is starkly feminine
    Respectfully have to disagree on this one. Do not find it feminine at all.

Some good Ambers have been mentioned. The two from MPG. Also Ambra Mediterrenea mentioned by Jack Hunter is also special.

yep i agree ambra mediterranea is great. raced through my decant this summer

I must try ambra. Im taken aback some what by the price to be honest but it hasnt stopped me buying top notch scents in the past. The great thing about perfume , affordable luxury.

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan is what you want. Woods, spices, herbs - in fact its top notes have a lot of kinship with big '80s oriental masculines.

That being said, I also second Mona di Orio's amber as good, much more subtle rendition with cedar and a curious licorice note.

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford is the most masculine, yet true amber I know of, and I've tried them all. Well, almost.

AA is smokey, yet rich and ambery, with caramelized tones of sweetness. No frilly powder or "perfumey" notes here. It's a great composition.
    Sales thread here

Opus VI is good.

These are my choices

Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata
    Fiori d'Ambra by Profumum

Ambra nobile
    Ambre sultan
    Amber absolute
    Ambre fetiche

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot Ambre Russe, great stuff

Ambre Precieux is the one

Ambra Aurea by Profumum is the one I'd add that hasn't been mentioned yet. There has been a lot of excellent advice already - Ambre Precieux, Ambre Sultan, Ambre 114, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Ambra Aurea by Profumum is the one I'd add that hasn't been mentioned yet.
    +1 - My first niche and my favorite amber. (Wish it came in something other than 100 ml, though!)
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

wow, a lot of great suggestions already. I'll second Ambra Mediterranea (assuming you don't mind a thick dose of sharp woody notes), Ambre Precieux (my go-to amber), Ambre 114 (probably the easiest to wear), Ambre Sultan (the ugly ducking of ambers) and Ambre Russe (loud, boozy, bombastic).

If you like something more daring and "challenging", give a chance also to Ambrarem.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

try Baldessarini ambre. Prada man, but prada is not overly masculine, at least to me.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Ambre baldesarini is a good, and very affordable recommendation. It does not last long but you get what you pay for. I also agree with Nordrakkar. You want a man's amber? YSL-M7. There you go. Keep it simple, keep it designer and consequently, keep a few more $$$ in your own pocket.

Thanks for your input everyone. Tried Leutens today. Amazing and jogged some memory from somewhere or other. I think it reminded me of free food as a student at a hare krishna temple!!!
    Also tried Ambre Russe. What a boozy sexy scent.
    Ambre Prexious? Sorry to vanilla sweet.
    The two i really want to try and ran out of time, were ambra mediteranea and opus vi. Have to wait till next weekend.

For me:

Ambre Russe
    Balmain Ambre Gris
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned

Try:

Black XS by Paco Rabanne - This wonderfully exotic fragrance opens with a citrus duet of lemon and kalamanzi, commingling with sage and tagete. I am not quite sure if the spice and marigolds work on the citrus, but a tangy stawberry becomes sensorially incarnate. The sweet heart with its cinnamon, black cardamom, tolu balm and praline wrests control of this pseudo-strawberry, and excises the bitterness yielding a dark, sweet and spicy concoction. The eager base, with its woods and amber, as well as its hint of patchouli, evicts the fruitiness, and forms a warm and inviting drydown. The longevity for this daring fragrance is good, while its projection is average for a close to the skin scent.

Ambre gris looks like a beautiful bottle.
    Paco xs? i always thought creed ov was a clone of this frag. If im right , having owned the creed its more like a green fresh vetiver?

- - - Updated - - -

Ambre gris looks like a beautiful bottle.
    Paco xs? i always thought creed ov was a clone of this frag. If im right , having owned the creed its more like a green fresh vetiver?

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Try:

Black XS by Paco Rabanne - This wonderfully exotic fragrance opens with a citrus duet of lemon and kalamanzi, commingling with sage and tagete. I am not quite sure if the spice and marigolds work on the citrus, but a tangy stawberry becomes sensorially incarnate. The sweet heart with its cinnamon, black cardamom, tolu balm and praline wrests control of this pseudo-strawberry, and excises the bitterness yielding a dark, sweet and spicy concoction. The eager base, with its woods and amber, as well as its hint of patchouli, evicts the fruitiness, and forms a warm and inviting drydown. The longevity for this daring fragrance is good, while its projection is average for a close to the skin scent.
    If the OP was fining many amber scents too sweet this might kill them.

My favorites are LDDM, Ambre 114 and Ambre Precieux.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Creed's Bois de Portugal is my favorite amber. It strikes just the right balance between butch and vanilla.
    "It's not the scent that recalls the person; it's the person who recalls the scent"

Amber Oud by Kilian

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Try:

Wow, the best review I read about a really bad fragrance.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Another vote for Ambre Sultan and LDDM, although I find LDDM to be a bit too sweet at times, there's much I admire about the scent.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Amouage Memoir man yet, it is probably the most masculine amber I've tried. It's not a pure amber but I would say the amber is very much pronounced against a foreground of cool smoke.