Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default i don't care for the chanels - am i alone?

when it comes to the artistic perspective, i think they have a diverse library of well made fragrances. but i just can't get myself to see any bottle worthy.

blue de chanel - the debate of whether the opening is generic or is subtly ahead of the pack, but that means nothing if it drys away and projects poorly.

egoiste - i really like this one, but i don't find it wearable or versatile.

platinum egoiste - mixed feelings.

allure and allure sport - i like them, but i'm not sure if i see them as more than an average fresh frag.

the high price is certainly a deterrent, as there are cheaper alternatives i love.

maybe they take more time to grow on me? because i've tried each of them 5+ times.

Default Re: i don't care for the chanels - am i alone?

I dislike Chanel.
    Certainly after their "Sport Extreme" flanker.

"Let's satisfy the perfume freaks by calling it Extreme and let's pull in the average consumer with the Sport tag."

To me, Chanel is about the feminine classics. All of the ones that you mention above just make me shrug.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    when it comes to the artistic perspective, i think they have a diverse library of well made fragrances. but i just can't get myself to see any bottle worthy.

blue de chanel - the debate of whether the opening is generic or is subtly ahead of the pack, but that means nothing if it drys away and projects poorly.

egoiste - i really like this one, but i don't find it wearable or versatile.

platinum egoiste - mixed feelings.

allure and allure sport - i like them, but i'm not sure if i see them as more than an average fresh frag.

the high price is certainly a deterrent, as there are cheaper alternatives i love.

maybe they take more time to grow on me? because i've tried each of them 5+ times.
    Certainly you are not alone in disliking *those* Chanels. I confess I too find myself in the district minority, but really do not care for most of their scents. I do love Sycomore and Antaeus, however, and like and own Pour Monsieur (original).
    Last edited by drseid; 28th October 2012 at 01:25 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

As for their offerings marketed specifically for men, I agree. I dislike most of them. I do like Egoiste, but I'm not head over heals for it. I think their gems lie in the Exclusifs line.

The only two I like is Allure Blanche edition, and Pour Monsieur Concentree.

Love all the masculine and unisex Chanels. Have 22 of them in my collection.

Amongst the Chanel men's fragrances, Egoiste EDT is the only one I love. It has a sharp opening -- but 20 mins. past that the rest is great.

Dependent

I'm still exploring the line but so far have only found Antaeus to be worthy. Allure Homme Blanche was very nice but longevity was poor. Egoiste and Egoiste Platinum had an off note that I didn't like. Pour Monsiur was forgettable. I'm hoping to find more winners since they are such a well respected house.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I love Egoiste and Pour Monsieur (not the concentree). These are both milestones in masculine fragrance and I expect to always have them in my collection. I'm wearing CPM today, coincidentally.

noirdrakkar - I find Egoiste very wearable and versatile. It's a great winter and evening scent. Have you tried to full-wear it, or only sampled it?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's the best designer IMO, followed closely by YSL. Sport Extreme & Platinum Egoiste - 2 of the most ripped on here on BN - happen to be 2 of my favorites. I also like, but not love, Egoiste. The opening is harsh, but the dry down is pretty great.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

The Chanels that I own are: Sycomore, Egoiste, Homme Sport, and Edition Blanche. I would gladly re-purchase all of these in a second if I lost them.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Original Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Creed - Aventus
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    7. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    8. Dior - Homme Sport 2012
    9. Creed - Virgin Island Water
    10. Kenneth Cole - Black

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    To me, Chanel is about the feminine classics. All of the ones that you mention above just make me shrug.
    I realize that "feminine classics" is a little narrow. But all of the Chanels that I love are ones that I can easily imagine being worn by women in, oh, the 1940s, even if they didn't actually exist them.

You are not alone. I know they are popular but I am struggling to finer one I would actually but. IMO they are mediocre at best. I think ysl, Thierry mugler, and Guerlain are much better. Chanel is better than say perry Ellis, micheal Jordan, Paris Hilton, etc though.

I really like Coromandel, Bleu de Chanel, Allure Homme, Egoiste, and Edition Blanche.
    I like Platinum Egoiste.
    I can't stand Antaeus or Pour Monsieur.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I love Antaeus and Egoiste, and definitely disagree with statement that Egoiste is not versatile or wearable. I'm generally a very frugal fragrance shopper, sticking to designers that are available at a significant discount, but I happily pay full boat retail for Antaeus and Egoiste.

Not a fan of Platinum, and can't tolerate Allure at all (one of the few fragrances that I react to this way).
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

I rather like Chanel as a whole. Platinum egotiste is my work scent. I actually really like the sport extreme (yea I said it) and bleu as well. I can definitely say I'm buying allure and flankers (sport, sport extreme, edition blanche) egoiste and possibly even bleu. So basically the whole line

As far as Men's fragrances go, everything after Egoiste has been a downward slide. Sad really.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Swaps
    Wanted

I did like PM Concentree but last time I tried it..didn't care for it. I would say women's scents yay, men scents nay for the most part. I have yet to sniff those exclusifs though.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Antaeus is great, could do without the others (egoiste is too metallic and cold) therefore given that, I would have to answer that the space and void around you is cold and growing, you are alone on this one.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

I find their female fragrances are much better compossed. The only Chanels, I own are Sycomore and Cuir De Russie from the exclusif range ( which i highly recommend). I am not much of a fan of of their main line for men.

Dependent

Agreed. I own Sycomore which I think is a masterpiece; nevertheless, I don't find occasions to wear even it often. All the other masculine Chanels leave me cold. In fact, most of the feminines are far too aldehydic for my taste as well.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 28th October 2012 at 03:30 PM.

I have many Chanels and never wear any of them for some reason...so I kind of feel what you're talking about.

Sycomore is great but I don't like vetivers much. My wife wears it more than I do.

Allure Homme Sport is too bland. The extreme is just OK.
    Egoiste is a masterpiece but it is a bit loud that I can't wear it to work any more than 1 spray. Plus sometimes I feel it is a dated scent. Dont like Allure Homme. Bleu is good but not my thing. Antaeus is too old school for my liking. Coromandel is elegant but makes me cough.

I'm not a big fan of any of them. The original Egoiste is my least favorite.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Very obviously, taste is a specific thing inherent to each and every one of us: I, for instance, spent the bulk of my life wearing *only* Guerlain. If it wasn't Guerlain, I wouldn't give it the time of day. Now that Guerlain has fallen to the bottom of the barrel quality wise, when, in its time, it stood reigning sovereign over all perfume, along with Caron and patou and chanel, patou has been destroyed, and one simply *must* "get" caron, Canel, which was always considered in the very top tier of quality in France among professional perfumers, is, again, a matter of personal taste. As it happens, try as i might, I have *never* found a chanel that i even remotely found pleasant. To me, they are all common as mud and i would sooner wear nothing than wear something with that woman's name on it: Believe me--I have tried: This is no wanton dismissal. Interestingly, like all great houses, there is *something* about all of them that echoes the singular personality of the woman herself. As it happens, I find "that something" irritating. I have a respect for Caron, though I don't really like any of their scents. For that which concerns Chanel, Interestingly, not only do I lack respect for the name, but the scents I find in their entirety repulsive.
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

This blog is very interesting and peaked my interest. I find that I am increasingly becoming a member of the 'I don't care for the Chanels' society. I have purchased several of the mens fragrances and discovered that they don't really do anything for me. I have also purchased a few of the "Les Exclusifs," and was not all that impressed by them either. I have tried the Sycomore and did not care for the vetiver, I have the Bois des Iles, and was not overly impressed. Coromandel is okay, but only that, okay. Finally I tried the Cuir de Russie, and was not impressed enough to purchase a bottle. I think that I am also turned off by the aldehydes in the female oriented fragrances. In the male line, I kind of like the Edition blanche, I won't swap or sell that bottle, but I don't find myself reaching for it too often.

I'd like to try vintage Egoiste but otherwise they are of little interest to me.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wow 24 replies in a few hours.

Sycomore I love its opening but its a top heavy scent

Antaeus and pour monsiuer are decent but dated.

All the allure flankers are the same to me.

You are not alone.
    Egoiste is the only one I own, and Edition Blanche was the only other one I ever considered buying. Though Blue is growing on me.
    Regards,
    Renato

Like others I own Egoiste which I do not wear much these days but the rest of the line are either generic or hard to get hold of.