Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default i don't care for the chanels - am i alone?

when it comes to the artistic perspective, i think they have a diverse library of well made fragrances. but i just can't get myself to see any bottle worthy.

blue de chanel - the debate of whether the opening is generic or is subtly ahead of the pack, but that means nothing if it drys away and projects poorly.

egoiste - i really like this one, but i don't find it wearable or versatile.

platinum egoiste - mixed feelings.

allure and allure sport - i like them, but i'm not sure if i see them as more than an average fresh frag.

the high price is certainly a deterrent, as there are cheaper alternatives i love.

maybe they take more time to grow on me? because i've tried each of them 5+ times.

Default Re: i don't care for the chanels - am i alone?

I dislike Chanel.
    Certainly after their "Sport Extreme" flanker.

"Let's satisfy the perfume freaks by calling it Extreme and let's pull in the average consumer with the Sport tag."

To me, Chanel is about the feminine classics. All of the ones that you mention above just make me shrug.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    when it comes to the artistic perspective, i think they have a diverse library of well made fragrances. but i just can't get myself to see any bottle worthy.

blue de chanel - the debate of whether the opening is generic or is subtly ahead of the pack, but that means nothing if it drys away and projects poorly.

egoiste - i really like this one, but i don't find it wearable or versatile.

platinum egoiste - mixed feelings.

allure and allure sport - i like them, but i'm not sure if i see them as more than an average fresh frag.

the high price is certainly a deterrent, as there are cheaper alternatives i love.

maybe they take more time to grow on me? because i've tried each of them 5+ times.
    Certainly you are not alone in disliking *those* Chanels. I confess I too find myself in the district minority, but really do not care for most of their scents. I do love Sycomore and Antaeus, however, and like and own Pour Monsieur (original).
    Last edited by drseid; 28th October 2012 at 01:25 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

As for their offerings marketed specifically for men, I agree. I dislike most of them. I do like Egoiste, but I'm not head over heals for it. I think their gems lie in the Exclusifs line.

The only two I like is Allure Blanche edition, and Pour Monsieur Concentree.

Love all the masculine and unisex Chanels. Have 22 of them in my collection.

Amongst the Chanel men's fragrances, Egoiste EDT is the only one I love. It has a sharp opening -- but 20 mins. past that the rest is great.

I'm still exploring the line but so far have only found Antaeus to be worthy. Allure Homme Blanche was very nice but longevity was poor. Egoiste and Egoiste Platinum had an off note that I didn't like. Pour Monsiur was forgettable. I'm hoping to find more winners since they are such a well respected house.

Guerlainista

I love Egoiste and Pour Monsieur (not the concentree). These are both milestones in masculine fragrance and I expect to always have them in my collection. I'm wearing CPM today, coincidentally.

noirdrakkar - I find Egoiste very wearable and versatile. It's a great winter and evening scent. Have you tried to full-wear it, or only sampled it?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's the best designer IMO, followed closely by YSL. Sport Extreme & Platinum Egoiste - 2 of the most ripped on here on BN - happen to be 2 of my favorites. I also like, but not love, Egoiste. The opening is harsh, but the dry down is pretty great.

The Chanels that I own are: Sycomore, Egoiste, Homme Sport, and Edition Blanche. I would gladly re-purchase all of these in a second if I lost them.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    To me, Chanel is about the feminine classics. All of the ones that you mention above just make me shrug.
    I realize that "feminine classics" is a little narrow. But all of the Chanels that I love are ones that I can easily imagine being worn by women in, oh, the 1940s, even if they didn't actually exist them.

You are not alone. I know they are popular but I am struggling to finer one I would actually but. IMO they are mediocre at best. I think ysl, Thierry mugler, and Guerlain are much better. Chanel is better than say perry Ellis, micheal Jordan, Paris Hilton, etc though.

I really like Coromandel, Bleu de Chanel, Allure Homme, Egoiste, and Edition Blanche.
    I like Platinum Egoiste.
    I can't stand Antaeus or Pour Monsieur.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I love Antaeus and Egoiste, and definitely disagree with statement that Egoiste is not versatile or wearable. I'm generally a very frugal fragrance shopper, sticking to designers that are available at a significant discount, but I happily pay full boat retail for Antaeus and Egoiste.

Not a fan of Platinum, and can't tolerate Allure at all (one of the few fragrances that I react to this way).
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

I rather like Chanel as a whole. Platinum egotiste is my work scent. I actually really like the sport extreme (yea I said it) and bleu as well. I can definitely say I'm buying allure and flankers (sport, sport extreme, edition blanche) egoiste and possibly even bleu. So basically the whole line

As far as Men's fragrances go, everything after Egoiste has been a downward slide. Sad really.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I did like PM Concentree but last time I tried it..didn't care for it. I would say women's scents yay, men scents nay for the most part. I have yet to sniff those exclusifs though.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Antaeus is great, could do without the others (egoiste is too metallic and cold) therefore given that, I would have to answer that the space and void around you is cold and growing, you are alone on this one.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

I find their female fragrances are much better compossed. The only Chanels, I own are Sycomore and Cuir De Russie from the exclusif range ( which i highly recommend). I am not much of a fan of of their main line for men.

Dependent

Agreed. I own Sycomore which I think is a masterpiece; nevertheless, I don't find occasions to wear even it often. All the other masculine Chanels leave me cold. In fact, most of the feminines are far too aldehydic for my taste as well.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 28th October 2012 at 03:30 PM.

I have many Chanels and never wear any of them for some reason...so I kind of feel what you're talking about.

Sycomore is great but I don't like vetivers much. My wife wears it more than I do.

Allure Homme Sport is too bland. The extreme is just OK.
    Egoiste is a masterpiece but it is a bit loud that I can't wear it to work any more than 1 spray. Plus sometimes I feel it is a dated scent. Dont like Allure Homme. Bleu is good but not my thing. Antaeus is too old school for my liking. Coromandel is elegant but makes me cough.

I'm not a big fan of any of them. The original Egoiste is my least favorite.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Very obviously, taste is a specific thing inherent to each and every one of us: I, for instance, spent the bulk of my life wearing *only* Guerlain. If it wasn't Guerlain, I wouldn't give it the time of day. Now that Guerlain has fallen to the bottom of the barrel quality wise, when, in its time, it stood reigning sovereign over all perfume, along with Caron and patou and chanel, patou has been destroyed, and one simply *must* "get" caron, Canel, which was always considered in the very top tier of quality in France among professional perfumers, is, again, a matter of personal taste. As it happens, try as i might, I have *never* found a chanel that i even remotely found pleasant. To me, they are all common as mud and i would sooner wear nothing than wear something with that woman's name on it: Believe me--I have tried: This is no wanton dismissal. Interestingly, like all great houses, there is *something* about all of them that echoes the singular personality of the woman herself. As it happens, I find "that something" irritating. I have a respect for Caron, though I don't really like any of their scents. For that which concerns Chanel, Interestingly, not only do I lack respect for the name, but the scents I find in their entirety repulsive.
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

This blog is very interesting and peaked my interest. I find that I am increasingly becoming a member of the 'I don't care for the Chanels' society. I have purchased several of the mens fragrances and discovered that they don't really do anything for me. I have also purchased a few of the "Les Exclusifs," and was not all that impressed by them either. I have tried the Sycomore and did not care for the vetiver, I have the Bois des Iles, and was not overly impressed. Coromandel is okay, but only that, okay. Finally I tried the Cuir de Russie, and was not impressed enough to purchase a bottle. I think that I am also turned off by the aldehydes in the female oriented fragrances. In the male line, I kind of like the Edition blanche, I won't swap or sell that bottle, but I don't find myself reaching for it too often.

I'd like to try vintage Egoiste but otherwise they are of little interest to me.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wow 24 replies in a few hours.

Sycomore I love its opening but its a top heavy scent

Antaeus and pour monsiuer are decent but dated.

All the allure flankers are the same to me.

You are not alone.
    Egoiste is the only one I own, and Edition Blanche was the only other one I ever considered buying. Though Blue is growing on me.
    Regards,
    Renato

Like others I own Egoiste which I do not wear much these days but the rest of the line are either generic or hard to get hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I love Egoiste and Pour Monsieur (not the concentree). These are both milestones in masculine fragrance and I expect to always have them in my collection. I'm wearing CPM today, coincidentally.

noirdrakkar - I find Egoiste very wearable and versatile. It's a great winter and evening scent. Have you tried to full-wear it, or only sampled it?
    I go along with this.
    I do understand someone not being a fan to the point of putting their hand in their pocket though. I wouldn't pay full price for anything currently available.

I do care about classic like pour Monsier, Anateus and even the two Egoiste.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The Chanel house style probably doesn't suit your preference. But do try their Exclusifs before you write the house completely off. I on the other hand am a big fan, particularly of their female-marketed fragrances. Classic, elegance and sophistication are the hallmarks of their star performers imo.

I too do not like Chanel.
    Their modern male targeted fragrances (from Platinum Egoiste onward) are extremely boring. And all they can do in the past 10 years is milking the Allure line with generic sporty/blue/citric fragrances
    Their female targeted fragrances smell very dated. I once have No19 EDT but end up selling it due to lack of desire to wear

I smelt Coromandel, never doubted Chanel again.

Antaeus and Pour Monsieur. love em.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

blue de chanelly -
    egoiste

platinum egoiste

allure and allure sport.
    ...you say you don't care for the Chanels and find none of them bottleworthy and talk about 5 of their ca. 35 current fragrances: maybe you try the lot first and then conclude weather you care for the Chanels or not...??

I dont think he needs to smell all 35 say he's not feeling it for Chanel. They have a mainstream men's line and OP doesn't like ay of them. I think that's fair enough to make a conclusion.

I'm not a big Chanel guy, either. I own Antaeus and Egoiste, but I rarely wear either of them, though I like them fine (especially Antaeus). In fairness, there are some I haven't tried, including the much-praised Sycomore, but I think my taste is generally for edgier, less self-conciously "polite" and "refined" fragrances.

I enjoyed the original L'Egoiste and Antaeus, but have grown out of them. Pour Monsieur is still too 'old' for me. I looked forward to the Les Exclusifs range, and most of them were nice (Rue de Cambon being my favourite) but the signature aldehydes just reminded me of rich old women and the high price did not reflect the makeup of the fragrances.

I'm sticking with my niche stuff for now.

Blog Entries

A fan of Chanel here, but there are fragrances that I do not like: Sycomore. Just can't stand the strong Vetiver. And Allure Homme Sport (too sharp for my taste)

While I own some popular fragrances like Egoiste (current formulation), Pour Monsieur Concentree, Anteus (current formulation), Allure Homme, and Bleu de Chanel, I still feel there's a lot more to discover especially the vintage and exclusifs.

I think this discussion could be applied to any Great House of Perfumery. All have a kind of signature that unifies every comp and this is why Guerlains, for example, are so recognizable--they all have that Geurlain "Something" inherent in their structure. Same with Caron--even more obvious there--Patou is dead so no point in analyzing that--but there *was* a Patou signature--The Chanel signature has a lot to do with the usage of aldahydes, in both mens and women's comps. Personally--I think if you don't care for aldahydes, Chanel is not for you. I actually have smelled and tested every single one of their comps currently available and while some I found initially intriguing (Beige, for example) none stood the test of time for me: I even own a full ounce of "Cuir de Russie" parfum and have only used it ONCE. It's a question of taste. Some will adore Chanel--obviously these are many--and some will be unimpressed. Just as I, before LVMH destroyed it, had nostrils only for Geurlain, others will be unfond of Guerlain--even in it's current trash incarnation--and the signature of "Guerlinade" will remind them of "Old Ladies" or however it is that this will be defined in each person's brain. Caron, for example, reminds me of Death, and funerals. I'm not sure why I don't care for Chanel: I know I have a *slight* problem with the untold story of Gabrielle Chanel, one I know well, but that in and of itself is not enough for me to discount the house: If I found a scent there that I loved, I would still buy it and wear it. Coromandel and Beige are two that I own (along with cuir de russie in parfum strength) and--while I intially thought all three FB worthy--NONE have ever been wearable for me--and not because they don't smell good. They just don't smell "like me." This said: Certainly they all have their following. Chanel is still considered to be one of the finest fragrance resources in the world. Like it. Don't like it: Just a question of taste.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Certainly you are not alone in disliking *those* Chanels.
    Exactly. When I think about Chanels, with the exception of Egoiste, I don't think of any of the fragrances in your list. Beside the most popular No.5 and No.19, Chanel makes me think about Cuir De Russie, Sycomore, 31 rue Cambon, Bois Des Iles, No.22, No.18, 28 La Pausa, Antaeus, Pour Monsieur...now, these are Chanels to me
    Last edited by alfarom; 28th October 2012 at 03:49 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Boy, I know that taste varies widely, but if we judge Chanel on Sycomore, Coromandel, Cuir de Russie, Bois des Isles, Egoiste, Antaeus, and Pour Monsieur, they should be at or near the top of the Pantheon.

Influence is one thing, and they've clearly had that on all that followed; but for me, from a wearability standpoint, I'm always comfortable in all of the aforementioned, no matter the situation; the only variable is the weather and amount applied.

I haven't tried enough of them but I totally disagree with your assessment of Egoiste. It's very wearable and versatile. I rate it highly and would love to try the concentree version.

I like Bleu.
    I'm positive I would like Sycomore, but it's awful pricey.
    Didn't care for Platinum Egoiste.
    Need to try Antaeus.

You're not alone AT ALL. I agree with every aspect of what you said 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

Cuir De Russie makes me want to throw up, too.
    Hey BN'ers come check out my blog/channel for reviews/unboxings/first impressions! Feel free to subscribe and, thanks much. TheScentNose.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScentNose?feature=mhee

The only one I've purchased is coromandel
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Amongst the Les Exclusif line, I'm a big fan of Bois des Iles and Coromandel.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Their female targeted fragrances smell very dated.
    Buffy: I thought that look was over.
    Kimberly: Well, it's Retro.

The retro, dated, vintage, classic nature of many of the Chanel feminines is, for me, almost the whole point.

Blog Entries

Great thread! I very needed discussion.

I think that somewhere along the line I got conditioned to liking almost all the Chanels. And I tend to like the modern stuff, too.

My high-school GF wore no.5, and while I didn't love it, I think it must have lodged in my memory in a pleasant way. And then another GF bought me Allure Homme back in the day, and I wore almost an entire bottle - I grew to love it. A lady I know at work wears one of the Chance flankers, and it's one of the few times I felt compelled to ask somebody what they were wearing. I just go by my nose on this stuff.

The only Exclusifs that even made me think about opening the wallet so far are Jersey (most modern) and the Eau de Cologne. Haven't bought them yet, but might. And no.18 seemed like something my wife would like. But all the ones people go gaga for here? Just no effect on me.

However, all of these were buyable to me: Bleu de Chanel (including all the bath products), Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, Allure Homme Blanche, no.5 Eau Première, no.19 Poudré, Égoïste, Platinum Égoïste, Antaeus, Allure Homme Sport Cologne, and Coco Noir.

I keep waffling on Pour Monseiur Concentrée.

There's no requirement for liking Chanel - none whatsoever! And for men, I think that's especially true, because I tend to think that the Chanel masculines are designed - very intentionally - to walk two steps behind the ladies' line. Not only do they lean toward the ladies' side - they are flatterers and followers of the style at a fundamental level. But even that is something that I love about Chanel.

Everybody has their house. My wife's are Dior and Creed. Very reliable. The only Chanel she truly loves is no.19 EDT. She loves Chanel and Guerlain cosmetics, but not their fragrances.

We all need to find the artists we love and follow them - as simple as that. Follow your nose.

I abide strictly by l'MdM's advice:

("...to each his own bad taste.")

You're not the only one.
    I like Bleu. I know, it's nothing special, but it smells great. Would I pay the Chanel price tag? No
    Allure Homme smells decent at best. It smells similar to PE M. Chanel price tag, yay or nay? Nay
    I have AHS on my skin right now. After 5 months of testing it out, it FINALLY smells good. Would I buy it? Sure, drop the price by $30 first. This is a "$50 fragrance" at best
    Platinum Egoiste...smells similar to Fierce. Not paying the Chanel price tag on it.

All in all. The only 2 I would consider purchasing would be Bleu and AHS.

Not a fan of Chanel as well, egoiste and sycomore are decent enough, but not fragrances I couldn't live without. Bleu isn't all that bad either, I think casual wearers would enjoy it. However, It's nothing special and again I could live without it. I also find the Chanel price tag a little high as well. Paid about $85 for a bottle of Bleu when it was released which is pretty near to small niche bottles in price, if they were priced like YSL I'd wager they'd have a lot more fans, in my opinion
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

I like a few Chanels, I only own and absolutely LOVE Egoiste.

Nothing wrong with not liking them. It's just a matter of taste, and I have houses that I'm not crazy about, like Bond No. 9 and Creed (though there are one or two Bonds that I would wear; I just don't like them enough to buy them).

Chanel really does work for me, and my own sense is that they have perfected refined elegance in a bottle with many of the Exclusifs - Bois des Iles, Coromandel, Cuir de Russie, No 22, 31 RC, etc. Even if some of them don't move me, I think that they're impressive in terms of quality and feel. But they're not for everyone.

Of their "lower end" fragrances, I also love Egoiste, No 19, Cristalle, and of course, No 5. But Egoiste is the only one of those that I wear with any frequency.

They are so hit or miss with me, one of the few houses I don't know what I'm getting til I smell it. I've had a few misses for me that I ended up selling - Cuir de Russie, Allure Homme, Bleu, ...

But Sycomore, Coromandel, and Allure Homme Blanche have all retained my interest. I think I'm done exploring their line though.

Oh, Egoiste is nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by RunSun View Post
    Not a fan of Chanel as well, egoiste and sycomore are decent enough, but not fragrances I couldn't live without. Bleu isn't all that bad either, I think casual wearers would enjoy it. However, It's nothing special and again I could live without it. I also find the Chanel price tag a little high as well. Paid about $85 for a bottle of Bleu when it was released which is pretty near to small niche bottles in price, if they were priced like YSL I'd wager they'd have a lot more fans, in my opinion
    My thoughts exactly. In all honesty, I prefer the YSL line over Chanel's fragrances. In my opinion, they smell nicer, more refined/sophisticated, and a lot cheaper!

I love Sycomore and enjoy Coromandel as well.

Try Cuir de Russie in the parfum and also Chanel No. 19 in the EDP.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm not a big fan of Chanel either, I really enjoy Egoiste and like Edition Blanche, the rest that I've tried are poor IMO and over priced, this includes some of the exclusives I've tried although I haven't tried all of them. I do enjoy some of there women's offerings though, although it seems they're latest releases in the women's section are also going downhill.