Code of Conduct

Default Need some help the House of Montale!!!!

Hello Gents!

I have always wanted to try Montale but nobody seems to carry them here in Chicago so I must buy some samples but there are so many. Can you all please suggest a few for me to sample? BUT please stray away from having me sample anything that has been called "grandma-ish/old lady" scents. The house is known for projection and longevity which is what intrigues me to find one I like. Any help is welcome thank you!
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Default Re: Need some help the House of Montale!!!!

My favorite from the line is Dark Aoud - It opens with a dry yet fresh sandalwood accord mixed in with Oud. It's smoky and enigmatic and it has this leather accord within its composition which goes really well with the others notes when it shows itself.

Black Aoud
    Santal Wood
    Oud Cuir D'Arabie

I'll recommend Aoud Musk and Dark Aoud. Let us know what you land on and whatcha think.

Dark Aoud
    Aoud Musk
    Red Aoud
    Red Vetyver

Woods and Spices

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Red Aoud
    Black Musk
    & Moon Aoud if you're feeling experimental

The ouds all tend to have the common intense woody note for which Montale is famous. You could check Black Aoud (perhaps the most intense, with a touch of rose), Lime Aoud (a touch lighter, with saffron) and Oud Cuir d'Arabie (with leather and musks, more animalic).

cacio

If you're looking for tenacuois and bold stuff, Montale surely delivers...My favorites in the "oud" series are Dark Aoud, Aoud Cuir D'Arabie and Aoud Musk. If you like thick ambers, you might also want to give a chance to Blue Amber. For a spicy, austere masculine check Greyland.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

wild aoud
    aoud leather
    dark aoud

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    If you're looking for tenacuois and bold stuff, Montale surely delivers...My favorites in the "oud" series are Dark Aoud, Aoud Cuir D'Arabie and Aoud Musk. If you like thick ambers, you might also want to give a chance to Blue Amber. For a spicy, austere masculine check Greyland.
    I wore a sample of Blue Amber today and all I got from everyone was I smell like a old woman.... people are actually mad at me. They expect me to normally smell good and unique each day.

Quote Originally Posted by CutlassSupremeSL View Post
    I wore a sample of Blue Amber today and all I got from everyone was I smell like a old woman.... people are actually mad at me. They expect me to normally smell good and unique each day.
    no comment

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I would try and sample these:

Red Aoud
    Aoud Flowers
    Full Incense
    or
    Dark Aoud

I'm not too sure if you would like the last one however.

The two most popular from the line are Black Aoud and Dark Aoud. I personally like Black Aoud.

The comment on blue amber smelling old-lady probably came from women who smelled as if they had fallen into an industrial-size tub of berry syrup for downmarket sugared drinks, or men who smelled as if they had just finished cleaning the local hospital with the harshest disinfectants.

cacio

I think you would enjoy Chocolate Greedy!
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

My first impression of Blue Amber was same. Kinda old school and more for sophisticated lady in her 50s. Later I revisited scent and liked it really lot and would not hestitate to wear myself.

Anyway, out of Montales that I tried your safest bet will be Dark Aoud. It is very bold, and aoud is well balanced with other woods so it doesnt smell so medicinal as other Montale Aouds.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I'm surprised you would get that comment from Blue Amber. I own that scent and love it. I'm not sure you will enjoy this particular house, but the others I would recommend sampling are Dark Aoud, Black Aoud and Lime Aoud.

Dark Aoud - oud dominate... great scent
    Aoud Cuir D'Arabie - vintage leather couch and oud... fantastic but less versatile

AVOID Black Aoud unless you want to smell "grandma-ish/old lady." Rose dominate scent with oud. I blind bought it and wore it several times but couldn't get over the rose. One of the better dark rose scents I have smelled, I just don't want to smell that way. MUCH better on a lady.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The comment on blue amber smelling old-lady probably came from women who smelled as if they had fallen into an industrial-size tub of berry syrup for downmarket sugared drinks, or men who smelled as if they had just finished cleaning the local hospital with the harshest disinfectants.

cacio

I am so serious that this is how everyone is responding. These are the average people but these are also people that did take liking to some of my rare nice frags. I have even made a few of them make their first niche purchases. I honestly am not liking Blue Amber and it does smell a bit old woman ish.... plus its made me sneeze all day from one spray on my hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scentfanatic1631 View Post
    I'm surprised you would get that comment from Blue Amber. I own that scent and love it. I'm not sure you will enjoy this particular house, but the others I would recommend sampling are Dark Aoud, Black Aoud and Lime Aoud.
    You know what I have had several YouTube buddies say that they don't think I will like this house. I just want to make sure there isnt a gem in this house for me. I might have to try Chocolate Greedy.... anyone have this? Black and Lime oud also have my attention.

So i would recommend Acqua di Gio

Disclaimer: several of these opinions are based on checking out friends bottles and are somewhat superficial. Still:

Vetiver des Sables is a very interesting Vetiver based scent which reminds me somewhat of Annick Goutals, but I prefer the latter even if Montale's has more longevity. Sweet Oriental Dream is a great gourmand and gets points for having a less silly name than Chocolate Greedy, but Chocolate Greedy is also pretty awesome.

I really like a lot of Montale stuff I smell but I'm not a huge fan of Oud so I tend to stay away from those. Some are good, but I don't like when it's overly dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    So i would recommend Acqua di Gio

You do realize I dont even really wear scents like that!?

Sound Scents

I am not the biggest Montale fan, but Black Aoud is probably the best of the house I have smelled. Whether it will appeal to you or not, I really can't say, but either way can we please quit with the ridiculous statements like "smells old womanish" and the like?
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I am not the biggest Montale fan, but Black Aoud is probably the best of the house I have smelled. Whether it will appeal to you or not, I really can't say, but either way can we please quit with the ridiculous statements like "smells old womanish" and the like?
    I will be sure to try that one.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Whether it will appeal to you or not, I really can't say, but either way can we please quit with the ridiculous statements like "smells old womanish" and the like?
    I hate to say it but some times a term like "smells old manish" or "smells old ladyish" (not sure on the spelling there) is actually useful. Yes, some people are using it in a profoundly derogatory fashion; but honestly, it creates an image in one's head which communicates more than some people (my self included) can using the notes alone (or descriptions of the notes).

My memory of my grandmother includes scents, feelings and emotions, visual appearance, as well as style. All those things get associated together... when I smell some scents those associations all come screaming back. Thus, some scents for me have much more than fragrance to them, they have feel. Saying something smells "old womanish" is no different than saying something "smell like the beach" or "like a tropical evening." The fact that so many people can relate to scent to these experiences says a lot about cultural and experiential norms, because of this it communicates a lot.

Notes: I used "grandma-ish/old lady" in my previous post because the person who started the thread used it... but to me, Black Aoud does smell like my Grandmother. And in case you were wondering, she was a fantastic "hottie" back in her day, a progressive woman ahead of her time.
    Last edited by El_Guapo; 5th September 2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: bad grammer

I'll echo Black Aoud and Aoud Cuir d'Arabie as the standouts.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by El_Guapo View Post
    I hate to say it but some times a term like "smells old manish" or "smells old ladyish" (not sure on the spelling there) is actually useful. Yes, some people are using it in a profoundly derogatory fashion; but honestly, it creates an image in one's head which communicates more than some people (my self included) can using the notes alone (or descriptions of the notes).

My memory of my grandmother includes scents, feelings and emotions, visual appearance, as well as style. All those things get associated together... when I smell some scents those associations all come screaming back. Thus, some scents for me have much more than fragrance to them, they have feel. Saying something smells "old womanish" is no different than saying something "smell like the beach" or "like a tropical evening." The fact that so many people can relate to scent to these experiences says a lot about cultural and experiential norms, because of this it communicates a lot.

Notes: I used "grandma-ish/old lady" in my previous post because the person who started the thread used it... but to me, Black Aoud does smell like my Grandmother. And in case you were wondering, she was a fantastic "hottie" back in her day, a progressive woman ahead of her time.
    Unfortunately the terms of something smelling like "old man" and/or "old woman" are indeed used in a derogatory fashion. If someone wants to say that scent XYZ reminds them of a scent their grandmother wore when they visited her in their childhood, or the like I have no issue with it at all. Unfortunately most people are using the terms to mean something completely different, almost always in a negative connotation that I personally find befuddling and offensive. I mean what does an "old man" or "old woman" really smell like in general terms... and who defines "old" for that matter? It is best to avoid the terms as a general rule unless you really are able to give a specific example like the one you just did (which I find absolutely fine, for what its worth).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

From what I've sampled from Montale, to me they have one mindset, and that's to be LOUD. I'm not really surprised with the Blue Amber comments, it's probably from the powdery feeling. I do like Red and Dark Aoud quite a bit, Sweet Oriental Dream is also nice if you like the gourmandy type things. Cuir d'Arabie wasn't for me, but if you do try it out, expect people to give you some looks, if you've heard someone talk about a barnyard aspect to a scent it has it (my girlfriend who is pretty open-minded with what I wear actually forbid [jokingly] me from wearing it )

Black Aoud is highly recommended around hear, but it doesn't do much for me, there's very little to it, and I feel like there are much better renditions of the rose/oud combination...even if this was one of the first to do it.

I honestly don't expect much depth from Montale, but they will give you something with insane longevity. Also, with their massive line, they only have a few that standout, and of those few that standout even less of them hold up compared to similar scents.

Banned

Black Aoud by Montale
    Red Aoud by Montale

Mukhallat.

I have not sampled many but only Montale I am a huge fan of is Red Vetyver. It is awesome.

Blog Entries

If you don't want "old lady" stay away from Black Aoud. It is a great frag, but does have a rose component that you may not like I have tried about 10 of their frags, stay away from Leather Lime, Moon Aoud, and Original Aoud. Louban has a rose component, so again, might not be for you. Dark Aoud, Aoud Cuir D'Arabie are their best in my opinion, No florals there, just powerful oud. Taj may be to your liking, no florals. I love Red Aoud but it is sweet, more a winter fragrance. One thing, you won't have complaints about longevity with Montale Paris!!!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Red and Dark Oud are pretty good.