Code of Conduct

Default How do you decide what to wear on Thanksgiving? (or any big meal oriented holiday)

What's your pick to wear on a day where the air will be overflowing with the smells of food, and where the company will be very mixed with friends, family, strangers, people you haven't seen in ages, and so on. How do you decide?

Here in the states, it's Thanksgiving. I can't believe I'm doing this, but, I'm cooking two entire meals. First, there's an early meal around 1PM (which, of course means more like 2pm because everything runs late during Thanksgiving). Then, hours later, there's a late Thanksgiving-ish meal with friends during the Seahawks/49ers game. Smoked Turkey. Pineapple Ham. Peach-topped sweet potatoes. Green bean casserole. Sides, sides and more sides. Various breads. I'm making a lot of it. Others are bringing more of it. Food food food. Oh, gluttony, oh yeah! And did I mention the wine? Oh, geez, and the spiked eggnog and cookies to dunk in it and... oh... too much yum.

I haven't decided what I'm going to wear yet (I'll decide in the morning), but I'm leaning toward one of these:
    - Royal Oud: Spicy and elegant. Can't go wrong.
    - Choco Musk: Smell like desert? Sure! Why not!
    - Interlude Man: Go big or go home! Hey, wait. I'm doing Thanksgiving at MY home!!! I AM HOME.

..........what about you? What's your pick and how did you decide?

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 27th November 2014 at 08:34 AM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Default Re: How do you decide what to wear on Thanksgiving? (or any big meal oriented holiday)

Like your Royal Oud choice. Wore that one yesterday... the spice vibe was just magnificent. Going with Le Male today since you can't go wrong with vanilla.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: How do you decide what to wear on Thanksgiving? (or any big meal oriented holiday)

I am going with one spray of Piper Nigrum...because I like pepper on everything. But I also worry that my family will be overwhelmed if I wear anything since they do not. Also considering that I don't want to clash with food smells. I chose Piper Nigrum because it is a lovely pepper scent but sadly lacks performance, so it should not bother anyone.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

While not having celebrated Thanksgiving so far (but it might change in future and still celebrating a fair share of other indeed meal oriented holidays in grander style), hereby wishing happy Thanksgiving to anyone who celebrates!

Anyhow, the fragrance is chosen quite freely and randomly for such occasions, with a few minimal requirements. Neither something too casual, especially if the outfit for the occasion is more formal, nor something too formal if the celebration is a more informal one, in a relaxed way, spent with the closest friends and nearest family members.

Other than that, without being a premade plan or imposed requirement, finding myself quite drawn to more brash and noticeable, more imposing and less casual scents on such occasions. While fresher, lighter, more unassuming fragrances are still worn and might have the chance to be worn in future, it is likelier for me to settle for a powerhouse, a gourmand, a leather, a chypre, a stronger woody-resinous, a boozy-dark floral, an Oriental or a tobacco fragrance as my SOTD/SOTE.

During Christmas (or any big family meals) I wear scents that have to be discrete (I dont want to suffocate my whole family). So I usually wear scents that I consider to be my signatures (Gucci PH II) and something sophisticated but unoffensive. This year it will be probably Gucci PH II again or my samples of Tea for Two, maybe Five O Clock Au Gingembre.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Thierry Mugler Pure Energy

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

I don't focus on it. It's about family and food. Ok maybe Gucci PH II, because everyone likes it, even if I don't.

I think i'll go with tobacco vanille.. it's perfect for just such an occasion. Cold outside & you're warm & toasty inside with loved ones with all the wonderful aromas & laughter in the air. Mmmm can't wait! :-)

Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

Habit Rouge...because I find it's got zero projection on me, no one is going to smell it but me anyway....

If a miracle occurs and someone notices I have fragrance on, it will be a pleasant scent which will read as clean, slightly sweet and joyous.

Happy Thank-Slaughter everyone!
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

I was thinking about Royal Oud too, but I decided on Tabac Rouge in the end.

I choose something that's warm, with maybe some food or spice nuances, that's not too loud. Nothing citrusy or aquatic, nothing floral or powdery. Something that kind of blends with the scenery, but is noticeable up close.

Good luck with all that cooking!

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in my neck of the woods, but happy Thanksgiving for all who do! Anyway, my choice for family meal oriented parties has been Venezia for many, many moons even if it has to be applied very carefully. Latest find is Oujan, which I think is perfect for Father's Day, Christmas etc. celebrations.

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

I go for anything with a "foodie" aura - Today I'm doing Paul Sebastian PS. So anything with spiciness, chocolate, vanilla, etc. In the warmer months things that are lemony or coconutty or fruity

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

A thread on Caron Yatagan I read a few days ago jolted my scent memory about that wonderful fragrance, one I hadn' t worn in some time. On reading that thread's posts I immediately knew Yatagan would be my Thanksgiving SOTD.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Burberry London would be perfect for this holiday

Something food-y! And go big, because the house is so full of food aromas, no one will notice what you are wearing until they get close.

Last year it was Arabie.
    Last night, for the tune up meal, it was Slumberhouse Rume.
    I want something red and rich today... I'm leaning to Zahd or La Myrrhe, two favorites.

The way I decide is no differently than any other day of the year. Just grab one from my collection and wear it.
    Last edited by hednic; 27th November 2014 at 02:11 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I still haven't decided. I think I went with the ultimate - Creed Spice & Wood - last year. I think I may wear it again if nothing else can change my mind.

It's long lasting, inoffensive, smells great, notes that smell like the season, and fresh. Can't get any better than that for a November get together with family.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    4. Xerjoff - Fars
    5. Dior - Vetiver
    6. Creed - Green Valley
    7. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Creed - Royal Scottish Lavender

Spicy orientals / Ambers on holidays under heavy clothes (tee, wool sweater). Usually means Jaipur homme or Opium pH, both edp.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I'm leaning toward Burberry London but I playfully spritzed some AdG in the air and OH, MY GOODNESS! ! Heavens!
    My Warm Weather Lineup: Xeroff Nio, L'humaniste, Jardin d' Amalfi, Pure White Cologne, Bergamot 22, Jubilation XXV, CHAMBRE NOIRE, Chanel Edition Blanche, CH MEN, Scent Of Peace, DHS, AVENTUS, GIT, VIW, MI

Probably Royal Oud from a sample that I have.

I would go with Royal Oud. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Yatagan is a popular choice for me but I am going with Aramis--reminds me of my dad and this was his favorite holiday.

I pick from a sample if I'm staying home!!! Today I picked New York Sandalwood by Bond No.9!!! Im loving this for sure!!!

I went with CK SHOCK for today.

I think I'm going with TF Tobacco Vanilla. Nice blend of sweet vanilla with a little tobacco thrown in. Happy Thanksgiving.

Honestly, I put on a houndstooth blazer with black velvet lapel, red pocketsquare with white polkadots and sprays the past of my Creed Windsor sample. Windsor felt so right for today.

Wear something like secretions magnifique and you ought to have a pleasant dinner with your loved ones... on a lighter note. Ive found that spraying under your clothes a noce spocy woody fragrance will do the trick. Once dinners dne spray on ur neck and go shopping. Enjoy

Of what to wear, maybe something gourmandish?
    I'm wearing Valentino Uomo. The scent just reminds me of a great dessert after a nice meal.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Less fragrance is more.

Basenotes Plus

I prefer a closer to the cuff, skin scent as I am not looking to take away from the feast experience for everyone else. I am wearing vintage Gucci Envy for Men today, but other possible choices from my collection would have been sweeter and/or seasonal: Tom Ford for Men, Burberry London, Juniper Ridge Big Sur, Sonoma Scent Studio Incense Pure.
    “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

I wore old school Obsession today. Sweet cinnamon goodness.

Light and inoffensive. Mugler Cologne was my choice of the day.

Basenotes Plus

Wore Murdock's Black Tea...Just enough spice and light enough to wear around family and friends where I wouldn't choke them out of the house....
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR Spring/Summer:
    1.) The Different Company De Bachmakov
    2.) Vetiver Fatal
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) LampBlack
    5.) Frank No. 2 L.A.
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Xerjoff Nio
    9.) Byredo Bal D'Afrique
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

**For Sale**: Nicolai, Valentino Uomo -

Default How do you decide what to wear on Thanksgiving? (or any big meal oriented ho...

I wore Ambre Narguile today, and I was very happy with the choice. It was the perfect amount of foody decadence and subtlety, but I almost went with Creed Spice and Wood. Last year I wore Burberry London and that was nice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRM85282; 28th November 2014 at 02:04 AM.

I think I'd either go spicy, subtle, woody and elegant or head in a gourmand direction like Ambre Narguile.

I don't wear anything. The food is the main event, and I don't want my nose to be distracted.

Kept it simple and went with a crowd pleaser today - Bleu de Chanel.

Last year was Sova so I went with LDDM today. I even picked it out last night which I never do. The high today was around 47°F and something just seemed right about dry incense and amber.

Go Fig Or Go Home! I ended up going with Tom Ford Extreme and it was perfect. On my skin, TFE only projects for an hour or two, after which it gets close to the skin but lasts a long time.

I hope everyone had a marvelous day!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I don’t wear things according to holidays. Like always, I just wear what feels good at the time.

But if I actually needed help with that, I’d recommend something that cooperates with dinner: a classic chypre or oriental worn discreetly that lends a good background murmur, or no fragrance at all.