Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default spraying your hair

i put this on the male forum rather than on the unisex forum because this is already common to women.

the hair is oily so it projects and doesn't burn out or drink up the fragrance. the top notes last much longer and i find the fragrance undistorted.

that said, i've mainly been trying fresh fruity fragrances to create a "shampoo effect". i just can't imagine spraying drakkar noir or aramis in my hair (or, to be fair, on any part of my body)

Default Re: spraying your hair

I can't imagine spraying any fragrance in my hair.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have heard about this before, A lot of women, especially those with long hair, spray their hair and as they move around you get whiffs of the fragrance. I don't think this is good for your hair as fragrances tend to have a lot of alcohol and will most certainly dry your hair out. I guess if you have excessively oil hair, this would not be of concern.

I remember DracDoc saying when he talked to a perfumier the person said the best place to spray a fragrance was in your hair.

I can see how this would have side effects though.

someone once told me that spraying your hair with perfume will accelerate the growth of grey hair! You'll get to look more mature at a young age

I do this all the time with eaux. It possibly has affected the colour of my hair to some slight degree, but I don't really mind. As for drying it out - no, not really. The alcohol evaporates quickly, leaving the oils, which, if anything, makes hair more manageable.

All the time. After some experimentation, Iíve identified the group of hair scents which work best and that I coordinate with body/shirt scents for a nice fragrance complex for everyday wear.

I considered this too and even tried it a few times, but after finding out, also here on BN, that alcohol and other substances in fragrance can harm hair in the long run, I tend to limit as much as possible or even altogether avoid this application method.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I have heard about this before, A lot of women, especially those with long hair, spray their hair and as they move around you get whiffs of the fragrance. I don't think this is good for your hair as fragrances tend to have a lot of alcohol and will most certainly dry your hair out. I guess if you have excessively oil hair, this would not be of concern.
    Hope you all don't mind a girl jumping in here! You're right, it's not good for hair, but neither are styling products! (Most of them contain a lot of alcohol. Your average hair spray probably contains as much alcohol as perfume!!!! Not to mention the other potentially damaging things that are in there. This is something your hair stylist probably WON'T tell you...because they want to sell products!)

Perfume though won't really hurt your hair if you don't spray it directly on your hair....spray it on a brush and brush your hair with it or spray it on your hand and run your hand(s) through your hair. So long as you're not drenching your head in perfume I honestly can't see much damage happening from occasional or even regular hair scenting.

I very rarely do this because my hair is up most of the time anyway, it would be pointless (and pulse points are usually more than enough perfume for me!)

No point for me,I usually have other scented products in my hair, don't think the mix would smell too good

@Kaelee makes some good points. As I have oily hair but drier hands, I might try this out and see how it goes. I will post again and let you know how it went.

My wife applies fragrance with the 2 spray walk through and I've noticed that fragrances really last a long time with her. I'm thinking it's because of the hair.

I always spray fragrance on the backs of my arms where i have some hair because the hair seems to trap the scent and i get better longevity this way. Having said that, yes, i have sprayed it in what little hair i have left on my head and it works well.

I suppose this could be a good use for fragrances that aren't suspended in alcohol.
    I own Cumming - it has shocking longevity, and uses water as a base, I believe.

I'd get my bottle out to try this, but then I'd have to have Cumming in my hair...and my juvenile sense of humour just couldn't handle that :P

I use hair gel that has a lot of fragrance already. I use the American crew line and Gatsby. I prefer to have those scents and not cover it up.