Code of Conduct

Default Mouchoir de Monsieur vs Chanel Pour Monsieur

Hey guys,

I have a bottle of CPM and a sample of MdM. Now I'm a Guerlain freak but i am not sure if CPM smells similar enough to MdM to buy MdM?

I enjoy the dusty elegant smell of both.
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur vs Chanel Pour Monsieur

They smell rather different to me. MdM is more like a fougere, with some vanilla and a lot of civet, while CpM (the regular one) is citrusy with a (now very light) mossy drydown. There's definitely space for both, so you should go ahead and buy it (or buy directly the model from which MdM derives, Jicky).

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Buy both! Great scents.

Wow, these do not smell alike at all to me. Chanel Pour Monsieur is nice; I don't own it but would wear it.

MdM is awful, as is Jicky. That cat poo combination of lavendar, vanilla, and civet is disgusting to my nose.

I think MdM and Jicky are very polarizing scents.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

Both are bottle worthy, imo. Both are better in vintage form, imo. Agree with the above poster MdM and Jicky can be very polarizing, usually a love/hate thing. I own vintage Jicky and vintage CpM. The moss in vintage CpM is amazing. I'm looking for some vintage MdM, but the $$$ has been prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Buy both! Great scents.
    Agree.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    They smell rather different to me. MdM is more like a fougere, with some vanilla and a lot of civet, while CpM (the regular one) is citrusy with a (now very light) mossy drydown. (...)
    I agree - and this is actually an interesting case of two very different frags being perceived as similar probably because they both smell "old" or, well, classic.
    I'd say in terms of structure and composition CpM is the quintessential masculine chypre and MdM the classic animalic fougère. They're pretty much textbook examples of their respective genres and have very little else in common than the fact that they are both French and hallmarks of traditional men's perfumery. So for that last reason alone - get both! I did!
    Last edited by Dane77; 29th October 2012 at 11:50 PM.

Like both but would give the edge to CPM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm a Guerlain head so I would go with Monchoir de Monsieur.
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

not very similiar. CPM is much milder and more conservative. MdM is even more old-fashioned but far more animalic and challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Wow, these do not smell alike at all to me. Chanel Pour Monsieur is nice; I don't own it but would wear it.

MdM is awful, as is Jicky. That cat poo combination of lavendar, vanilla, and civet is disgusting to my nose.

I applied MdM on one wrist and scoot off to the mall and squirted some jicky on my other arm, and i am wearing CpM.

MdM's animalic side came out when contrasted against CpM. MdM had a citrus opening which brightens it all the way to the drydown (which is the most wonderful thing I have ever smelled.)

Jicky smelled like someone stuffed up stalks of lavender into my nostrils and it hurt a little. Then the midnotes were the same as MdM. The basenotes however, were different. Jicky was softer and smoother and silkier, while MdM was more rugged, like what Habit Rouge is to Shalimar.

If MdM was released today, it would probably be called Jicky pour homme le eau citron or something.
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post

+1. I have never understood how anyone can seriously wear MdM and Jicky. Do they actually like them or just think that they should because they are 'classics'. Both revolt me equally.

Both are very good, but for me, there is a clear winner in every department, and it is Mouchoir de Monsieur (which I also prefer to Jicky).

Post Thanks / Like

Hardly any similarities that pronounced, so that it wouldn't be worthy to buy both. I'd go for both, since they are nowhere near too similar.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    +1. I have never understood how anyone can seriously wear MdM and Jicky. Do they actually like them or just think that they should because they are 'classics'. Both revolt me equally.
    I actually love Jicky, totally independently of its status as a classic. (I can't stand many other classics.) MdM is a little too lavender-dominant to my taste but still pleasant to me. CpM bores me completely. Civet is a challenging ingredient and not used much in modern frags; I happen to like it in general.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Both are well worth owning and don't feel redundant. My reading is similar to Monkeybar's.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post

If they didn't change after the first hour I would agree with you. Smelling of sick or poo doesn't rate highly to me either.However this fades and what develops is extremely classy, particularly with MDM, IMHO.
    I do wonder if it's worth the wait though..

Post Thanks / Like

MdM has the unmistakable civet note and is a classic Guerlain. I own it but never wear it, whereas the Chanel competes for my all-time favorite. Both are worthy of smelling; the Chanel is the safer blind purchase.