Code of Conduct

Default Does having no ID code on packaging definitely mean it is fake?

I have recently been given Le Male as a gift (aparently purchased from a reputable department store),however there is no code on the can (although it is on the bottle). I have compared everything else to a genuine version I own and it seems the same. Is there any chance this is just a manufacturer error / oversight or is it definitely a fake?

Default Re: Does having no ID code on packaging definitely mean it is fake?

Quote Originally Posted by FragOut View Post
    Is there any chance this is just a manufacturer error / oversight or is it definitely a fake?
    Of course it could be a manufacturer error.

Sorry what I should have asked is whether anyone else has had similar experiences, where they have brought from a reputable source but the packaging is missing the ID code.

That happened to me, but mine ended up being a fake.
    It could be a manufacturer error. One of the best ways in my opinion, to weed out a fake is to test the sprayer. Some fragrances (le male being one) have a very nice sprayer that sprays a nice large cloud. It should feel more like a pump if that makes any sense.

I got a 3.4oz bottle of Terre d'Hermes from Amazon a few years back for only $50 shipped that had the code scratched off. It was my second bottle and I could tell it was the real thing from a side by side test so I didn't much care. I think I saw someone explain on here that some discounters will erase/cover up/scratch off codes of legit items just so there is no way to trace where the bottle has been from. If there is a code on the bottle I would feel OK. Sometimes the bottles and their boxes/containers get mixed up, which might account for the codes not matching and perhaps the can you have is an older one where JPG used to put a sticker on the canister (I think I remember them doing that years ago) and someone just removed it.
    On a side note the "big red star" makes us display bottles out of their boxes in our shelves. This is usually live product so we have to unwrap it, display it and then box it up again to sell when our stock gets low. I absolutely hate this practice and try my best to only display testers, but that is not always possible since we have to display anywhere from 3-9 bottles. So sometimes when my colleagues are re-boxing the display bottles they don't check to make sure the code on the box matches the code on the bottle. Some people do not want to buy a bottle without the cellophane wrapping, which I can understand. Luckily I haven't yet had a complaint of the codes not matching. Just FYI :}
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Thanks for the replies. Having checked out some videos on fakes, I think I'm going to put it down to a manufacturer error. All the components like the sprayer, paint job, embossing and base are all spot on, so it's either the best fake in the world or an oversight / mix up somewhere.