Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default La Nuit de L'Homme- terrible?

So I am new to fragrances, but I got about 25 different samples of different scents to try out. One of them was a small atomizer of La Nuit. Well so far I've put it on twice. Both times, the entire house smells. With one small spray. The problem is, it's bad. I see why people like it, it's creamy and spicy, but it's cloying. My mom told me blatantly that I "stink" and that this scent was her absolute least favorite. I never came close to her, she smelled it from across the room. With one spray!

I can't be the only one who feels like this. I wanted to like it and was looking forward to trying it out. But wow it's strong.....

Default Re: La Nuit de L'Homme- terrible?

It's more of a mature scent.... wait a few more years and try it again, you may appreciate it more... I think La Nuit is an awesome fragrance....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Maybe, I am young. But this feedback came from both of my parents. Maybe it's just too old for me

Quote Originally Posted by rocket999 View Post
    Maybe, I am young. But this feedback came from both of my parents. Maybe it's just too old for me
    Try Aqua Di Gio and Cool Water... you may like it....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I got a girl to go through the samples with me, decided on Diesel only the brave and blue seduction (a little synthetic, but nice)

I just hear so much hype about la nuit, and it seems so strong and cloying...

List your 25 samples... just curious what you got?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

ahhhh oh boy lets see

D&G the One
    burberry london
    burberry brit
    La Nuit
    cool water
    hugo hugo boss
    boss bottled #6
    blue seduction
    Only the brave
    PE 360 red
    Azarro Chrome
    le male (just as bad to me as La Nuit)
    Eternity CK
    1 million
    Rochas man

hmm there's only 15 there. I'm missing a few, but that's most of them

D&G the One - This one is nice
    burberry london - A Masterpiece
    burberry brit - This one is ok
    La Nuit - A Masterpiece
    cool water - see hugo boss
    hugo hugo boss - this one is ok, but synthestic
    boss bottled #6 - Never Tried this one
    blue seduction -- Never Tried this one
    Only the brave - Never Tried this one
    PE 360 red - I think this one smells like Aqua Di Gio
    Azarro Chrome - This one gives me a headache
    le male (just as bad to me as La Nuit) - I'm surprise you don't like this one....
    Eternity CK - Too old school for me
    1 million - This one is ok, but I find it kind of cloying
    Rochas man - I like this one, but I like the stronger brother New Haarlem better...it's much more richer
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

i dont think it is terrible. It is one of my favorites. Different noses I guess. La Nuit isn't that far off of other samples you have.

D&G the One - This one is nice- agree, maybe a bit old
    burberry london - A Masterpiece - I like it too!
    burberry brit - This one is ok - mhmm
    La Nuit - A Masterpiece
    cool water - see hugo boss
    hugo hugo boss - this one is ok, but synthestic - I thought it smelled like a locker room haha
    boss bottled #6 - Never Tried this one - On the sweeter side. My second choice to OtB
    blue seduction -- Never Tried this one - It's an aquatic. I like it more then Chrome and 360 red
    Only the brave - Never Tried this one - my first choice. It's just overall nice
    PE 360 red - I think this one smells like Aqua Di Gio - yes, but it smells like orange cleaner. Blue seduction is a bit like this but better
    Azarro Chrome - This one gives me a headache
    le male (just as bad to me as La Nuit) - I'm surprise you don't like this one.... - It is kinda like...plasticy vanilla. Gave me a headache
    Eternity CK - Too old school for me
    1 million - This one is ok, but I find it kind of cloying
    Rochas man - I like this one, but I like the stronger brother New Haarlem better...it's much more richer

Ya thanks for the input. I tried them all out, and that's what I found. obviously different for different tastes and skins...

Maybe a fake? totally serious.

A very polarizing scent IMO, but personally like it.

I would imagine Rochas Man being more cloying than La Nuit de L'Homme to be honest. It might also be a skin reaction to something in the juice I suppose as it has happened before, but you make it sound like La Nuit is as cloying as Joop! and I just don't get that from my bottle unless I overspray heavily. I even sometimes have to spray my clothes directly when wearing La Nuit to get the scent to last for more than 4 hours as it fades from my skin faster than it does for others. Its pretty unisex as well as my girlfriend will wear it from time to time as well.

Could also be a bad sample too I suppose as someone else mentioned.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

For me, it's too synthetically sweet and cloying.

Had to sell this off...too much cardamom for me. Started smelling like BO after awhile on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by EncreNous View Post
    Had to sell this off...too much cardamom for me. Started smelling like BO after awhile on my skin.
    Same thing for me, hated and sold off.

Yeah, it doesn't do anything for me. It is a really boring scent to my nose.
    It's pleasant enough, but doesn't do anything special so it's an easy pass for me.

I don't get the projection that you report, but even if I did, the scent leaves me very lukewarm.

It's better than L'Homme though.

Possibly a fake? I've gotten a few compliments from this, and i've only worn it a handful of times. Its pretty stout at first but doesn't stay that way for long, in my experience. Put it on, wait an hour or so, then solicit opinions and see if you get the same thing.

Change girlfriends and put the Nuit on just after you leave the house.

Dependent

and i thought this was more suited to the younger crowd. anyway, i think its rather good for a designer frag. own one personally but hardly reach for it now
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

synthetically sweet!

Sound Scents

I can't be the only one who feels like this.
    You are not. I too dislike YSL L'Homme and La Nuit de L'Homme... Unfortunately after seeing your list, only a couple would merit a recommendation by me... Burberry London, Rochas Man and Cool Water are the only ones I can recommend. I suggest you get a different set of samples. ;-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

La Nuit is a current fave of mine. I'm 45 and my wife and my 16 year old son both like it a lot. It is different, though, and not the standard aquatic dreck.

ahhhh oh boy lets see

hugo hugo boss
    boss bottled #6

hmm there's only 15 there. I'm missing a few, but that's most of them
    Aren't these one in the same?

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Aren't these one in the same?
    Isn't Hugo the canteen bottle? #6 is the same as Boss Bottled and Boss Silver, I believe.

I don't see how this could be considered mature...

and yes, I do believe it's terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by RunSun View Post
    I would imagine Rochas Man being more cloying than La Nuit de L'Homme to be honest. It might also be a skin reaction to something in the juice I suppose as it has happened before, but you make it sound like La Nuit is as cloying as Joop! and I just don't get that from my bottle unless I overspray heavily. I even sometimes have to spray my clothes directly when wearing La Nuit to get the scent to last for more than 4 hours as it fades from my skin faster than it does for others. Its pretty unisex as well as my girlfriend will wear it from time to time as well.

Could also be a bad sample too I suppose as someone else mentioned.
    I got it from a swap. So maybe, but I doubt it. It is way more cloying than hoop I thought. The dry down is OK, but only after 3 hours of cloying sweetness. Maybe due to my skin as well.

Anyway I guess people are 50/50 on this.

And, Hugo and boss bottled are different. Hugo smells like men's deodorant. Bottled is sweeter and more plesant

So I am new to fragrances, but I got about 25 different samples of different scents to try out. One of them was a small atomizer of La Nuit. Well so far I've put it on twice. Both times, the entire house smells. With one small spray. The problem is, it's bad. I see why people like it, it's creamy and spicy, but it's cloying. My mom told me blatantly that I "stink" and that this scent was her absolute least favorite. I never came close to her, she smelled it from across the room. With one spray!

I can't be the only one who feels like this. I wanted to like it and was looking forward to trying it out. But wow it's strong.....
    Agree! Cloying, feminine scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist View Post
    Maybe a fake? totally serious.
    Why would you bother faking something that's crap in the first place?

I too don't particularly like La Nuit de L'Homme and L'Homme, though for different reasons. My personal favourite from YSL is Kouros, and after Jazz, M7 and Rive Gauche I don't think L'Homme or La Nuit is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    You are not. I too dislike YSL L'Homme and La Nuit de L'Homme... Unfortunately after seeing your list, only a couple would merit a recommendation by me... Burberry London, Rochas Man and Cool Water are the only ones I can recommend. I suggest you get a different set of samples. ;-)
    Haha thanks for the input, but a lot of the scents people like on here are too old for me. I'm only 16, I want something nice, pleasing, and inoffensive. These were scents were ones that seemed to fit the bill.

Those three are good, although not my favorites (I love London, but that'll be one I get later). I thought blue seduction was better then cool water personally though. Have you tried it?

Sound Scents

I thought blue seduction was better then cool water personally though. Have you tried it?
    Nope, can't say I have (or if I did I do not remember it)... That said, if you like those kinds of light and fresh scents, then something like Bellago for Men by Parlux may be up your alley (it sells through Amazon and other online discounters for about $16-$20 a 100ml bottle too). That is a good one, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I love la nuit

- - - Updated - - -

I love la nuit
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

A bit too spicy and sweet for constant wear. When I first got into fragrances I tried hard to like this more than lhomme based on BN hype, but it's just not for me

It is horrible stuff, all three versions. I dont understand what all the fuss is about. Same goes for Spicebomb.
    Chemical. Synthetic. Bland. Drugstore.
    Last edited by david; 30th October 2012 at 06:51 PM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Just for clarification, I was the one who sent OP his samples of The One and La Nuit. I can give you my word that neither fragrance is fake. I've dealt with a quite a few BNers, and have had nothing but positive experiences- whether or not I cared for the actual fragrances. I wanted to chime in here, as I don't want new members (or anyone here, really) to think that it's common to receive fakes from others on BN. And also so that OP doesn't think I tried to hoodwink him on a few mls of a common fragrance. I don't think La Nuit is terrible, but it certainly can be cloying to some, and cardamom is pretty polarizing, no matter the fragrance. Sucks that you don't like it, OP, but at least you know what the fragrance is, and I personally would recommend either hanging on to it to re-visit at a later time (you may be surprised how quickly your tastes evolve as you learn new frags), or if you are adamant that it's just not for you, to pass it on to someone else. For as many people that can't stand this one, there are tons more that love it. Glad you like The One- it seems to be very popular with the ladies (when they can detect it- sillage is a little weak). Maybe next time you'll find a great one for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post
    Just for clarification, I was the one who sent OP his samples of The One and La Nuit. I can give you my word that neither fragrance is fake. I've dealt with a quite a few BNers, and have had nothing but positive experiences- whether or not I cared for the actual fragrances. I wanted to chime in here, as I don't want new members (or anyone here, really) to think that it's common to receive fakes from others on BN. And also so that OP doesn't think I tried to hoodwink him on a few mls of a common fragrance. I don't think La Nuit is terrible, but it certainly can be cloying to some, and cardamom is pretty polarizing, no matter the fragrance. Sucks that you don't like it, OP, but at least you know what the fragrance is, and I personally would recommend either hanging on to it to re-visit at a later time (you may be surprised how quickly your tastes evolve as you learn new frags), or if you are adamant that it's just not for you, to pass it on to someone else. For as many people that can't stand this one, there are tons more that love it. Glad you like The One- it seems to be very popular with the ladies (when they can detect it- sillage is a little weak). Maybe next time you'll find a great one for you!
    I just wanted to say that I don't believe it was fake. If anybody wants to try a fragrance, I would recommend this guy. I told him what I wanted, and he got the samples out to me within a day. They were packaged extremely well for a very good price in nice high quality atomizers. The fault wasn't yours, I just wasn't a fan of the scent!

I'll probably hold onto it, maybe let a friend try it at some point. I think they drydown is good, the opening to just too strong for me. I like The One (Nice and spicy), and found the sillage to be ok on me. I like scents that stay somewhat close to me, I don't want people across the room smelling it. So perfect.

Anyway, thanks again!

I think La Nuit is pimp juice, with universal acclaim from those around me

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    I think La Nuit is pimp juice, with universal acclaim from those around me
    .......pimp juice. LOL......love it !
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

La Nuit is the best from your whole list.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

la nuit is a night scent and not best suited for work imo. i like it

Welcome to BN!

Perhaps you just don't like "powdery" fragrances? What is your opinion of Armani Code? (if you've tried it)
    I live in a blue collar/steel mill type area, although that industry is dying here but the mentality is still around. So when I show a customer La Nuit or Code they sometimes recoil from the powdery quality of these since they may perceive them as feminine.

I too like La Nuit a lot and wish I could get a ton of projection like you got from the sample. Don't forget that initial reactions can be really deceiving. I think all of us here have made a 180 on at least a few frags over the years and it's important to try a new frag a few times before you get a real opinion of it. For example, I had a co worker talking trash on Aramis one day and a few days later I knew she was coming in to relieve me so I put on Aramis well before she came and had her smell my arm. She was like "Ohhh that smells nice! what is that?" She couldn't believe it.

Out of all of those I would think the most cloying would be the One Million. With this one I have to spray the air and pull the card thru the "cloud" before showing it.

I have tried the Seductive Blue and find it interesting and nice, but haven't got much longevity out of it, but I've only wore it 3 times so I have another 2 or 3 times before I really figure it out.

Only the Brave is a nice frag and great for you to wear, so it's good that you seem to have found a winner What else have you worn in the past that you really like?
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post
    This man does not sell fakes (although I doubt anyone was implying that :])

OP, that's interesting. Most women LOVE la nuit. I can't see it being a cloying scent, not in the least.
    Maybe the heat had something to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    La Nuit is the best from your whole list.

Indeed.

I think La Nuit is among the better of the offerings from the last few years.

I just wanted to say that I don't believe it was fake. If anybody wants to try a fragrance, I would recommend this guy. I told him what I wanted, and he got the samples out to me within a day. They were packaged extremely well for a very good price in nice high quality atomizers. The fault wasn't yours, I just wasn't a fan of the scent!

I'll probably hold onto it, maybe let a friend try it at some point. I think they drydown is good, the opening to just too strong for me. I like The One (Nice and spicy), and found the sillage to be ok on me. I like scents that stay somewhat close to me, I don't want people across the room smelling it. So perfect.

Anyway, thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    This man does not sell fakes (although I doubt anyone was implying that :])

OP, that's interesting. Most women LOVE la nuit. I can't see it being a cloying scent, not in the least.
    Maybe the heat had something to do with it?
    Thanks gentlemen! I don't think that anyone was personally accusing me, but the possibility was brought up, and I didn't want OP (new to BN and fragrances in general) to even consider that notion. The feedback system here works wonders, but even with BNers with little or no feedback at all have proven to be overwhemingly reliable and honest people, and I want to propagate this type of environment where people can feel at ease dealing with others. Sending valuables or money to strangers online seems like a terrible idea in theory, but in practice, it works on BN. Thanks again!

I have a friend who wears La Nuit, and it smells incredible on him. Not sweet at all, or synthetic, or too anything. Then I tried it and it smelled totally different on me. Seriously, it was from the same bottle but it was like 2 different scents. I used to think the 'skin chemistry' thing was a bunch of BS but I kind of wonder now.....

You want something that's cloyingly sweet, give Bond No. 9 Washington Square a try. La Nuit, not so much. At least for me

I can see why it's popular and it has some appealing elements, but it is far too sweet and cloying for me. Others seemed to think it was a bit generic too.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    +1. I agree with this. It is just a little too loud for the office and definitely not appropriate if you're a blue collar man. The guys you work with will probably tease you, LOL.

Seems like you have a pattern going on...
    I'm young as well, but I enjoy La Nuit De L'Homme EDT and One Million. The former was my first signature scent... I love it.
    The trick is to be light on the trigger so it's subtle. Sometimes you can't smell it, but it's there! You might have over-sprayed.

As for the latter (One Million) - I like it, but I don't love it. But it garners compliments much more than La Nuit.
    Top 5:
    1) La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2) Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3) Royal Oud by Creed
    4) One Million by Paco Rabanne
    5) Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Style View Post
    +1. I agree with this. It is just a little too loud for the office and definitely not appropriate if you're a blue collar man. The guys you work with will probably tease you, LOL.
    I've worn La nuit to the office numerous times before and received a compliment, so it can work in that environment.

2 Million women can't all be wrong

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Change girlfriends and put the Nuit on just after you leave the house.
    I like the way you think

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Why would you bother faking something that's crap in the first place?
    Because it sells like hot cakes. They'll fake anything that sells.

Amazing proem record btw.

I liked Nuit first time I smelled it quite a while ago..smelled it again, way too sweet, don't like it anymore.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I liked Nuit first time I smelled it quite a while ago..smelled it again, way too sweet, don't like it anymore.
    I sampled it whilst on holiday in Canada and initially liked it so bought 100ml from the duty free. Only ever used it a couple of times and sold it on eBay. Far too powdery and sweet for my liking.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

La Nuit de l'Homme is an excellent fragrance produced by a quality house: YSL.
    Surprised by your reaction and that of your parents.

I don't care for it either and I like gourmands. To me this is a cookie cutter vanilla and nothing more.

Blog Entries

I prefer the original L'Homme over La Nuit, which does nothing on my skin despite its hyped strength. It smells good from the bottle, but that's about it.

it's not a bad scent by any means, but on me, it's way too strong, sweet & cloying, even with one spray, for some reason. Definitely a nice & sexy frag if it works on your skin, though.

The moral of this story is there are different strokes for different folks.