Code of Conduct

Default Agarscents Ambergris

Has anybody had experience with Agarscents ambergris? They sell a number of different varieties, including Indian Ocean Ambergris and White Ambergris. Both of these are very tenacious, have a deep and lasting balsamic note almost like vanilla and add enormous complexity to anything I add them to. They are actually quite wonderful. The only problem is that they smell like no ambergris I've ever encountered. My own ambergris tinctures have very little smell (and they're close to a year old). I would kill to have them develop the kinds of aromas that Agarscents has. Does anyone have any insight into this? Is the Agarscents stuff the real thing--I suspect it is because of the tenacity and dry-down--or a facsimile of some sort?

Default Re: Agarscents Ambergris

I'm no ambergris expert, but i know ambroxan and cetalox quite well. I was given some sample vials - one being of "white" ambergris oil from Agarscents after ordering some musks and forgot about that vial. Found it a few months ago (after a couple years storage) and the liquid had evaporated leaving behind the familiar white crystals (and smell) of ambroxan - unmistakable. Even compared it to my own bottle of ambroxan - exactly the same.

Left me feeling a bit suspicious about the quality and prices.
    I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance. - Rimbaud