Code of Conduct

Default Your favorite discoveries of 2012 ? Ones that impressed or disappointed you?

So, almost the end of the year..what were your favorite finds? Ones that impressed or disappointed you? If you find more later this year, I guess you can add them!

Fave discoveries:

Ambra Di Luna Ramon Monegal
    Drole de Rose L'artisan
    La Violette Annick Goutal(an AG scent made it on my list!)
    Noir de Noir Tom Ford

Impressed by:

Amouage house(so far, have only sniffed a few)

Disappointments/not impressed:

Coco Noir
    Cartier Baiser Vole
    SDV Guerlain
    Several Serge Lutens scents
    Mon Jasmin Noir L'eau Exquise, lol at the name too.
    Lovely Day Ramon Monegal
    Last edited by kalli; 31st October 2012 at 04:36 AM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Default Re: Your favorite discoveries of 2012 ? Ones that impressed or disappointed you?

Great thread kalli!

Fave finds: Bottega Veneta, Bottega Veneta. Soft, sexy, skin scent of suede and carnal floral. Dior, Miss Dior Le Parfum. Deep, mysterious (it smells different every time I wear it), sophisticated fragrance.

Impressed by: Not applicable.

Disappointments:Hermes Ambre Des Merveilles (it PAINS me to say anything negative about an Ellena fragrance, because I love his creations, his gift). Chanel: Please, release the exclusives line onto the masses to enlighten perfume lovers who have not had the where-with-all to discover the line, and wait until something really wonderful comes from the super-talented Jacques Polge before releasng it.

In MHO.

- - - Updated - - -

Great thread kalli!

Fave finds: Bottega Veneta, Bottega Veneta. Soft, sexy, skin scent of suede and carnal floral. Dior, Miss Dior Le Parfum. Deep, mysterious (it smells different every time I wear it), sophisticated fragrance.

Impressed by: Not applicable.

Disappointments:Hermes Ambre Des Merveilles (it PAINS me to say anything negative about an Ellena fragrance, because I love his creations, his gift). Chanel: Please, release the exclusives line onto the masses to enlighten perfume lovers who have not had the where-with-all to discover the line, and wait until something really wonderful comes from the super-talented Jacques Polge before releasng it.

In MHO.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmmm - Don't know why that post appeared 2X!

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm...don't know why that post appeared 2x!
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Default Re: Your favorite discoveries of 2012 ? Ones that impressed or disappointed you?

Ya, sometimes gliches like that happen, you can edit those out usually.

Mmm, Hermes Ambre Des Merveilles, a disappointment huh? Been wanting to try that one!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

My favorite discoveries this year have been KM Ambre Mirabilis and Bal de Roses and Ava Luxe Soie (which is d/c).

I was disappointed with MFK Oud the most.

Best release of 2012 : Seville a'Laube

The sheer complexity is enough, let alone the creative use of notes (incense and orange blossom and bees wax). Its very wearable too.

for swap/sale:

Favorite discoveries:
    Cafe Rose (Tom Ford)
    Bijou Romantique (ELDO)
    Attar de Roses (Keiko Mecheri)
    Datura Blanche (Keiko Mecheri)
    Parure (Guerlain)

Disappointments:
    The new TF Private Blends other than Cafe Rose
    Most of the Keiko Mecheri Bespoke line
    Malaise of the 1970s (ELDO) (I loved the name so much, and I was hoping to love the scent too!)
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Favorites discovered in 2012:

JM White Lilac & Rhubarb
    Demeter Gingerale (complete with the impression of fizziness, and a very pleasant drydown. Really simple, but delightful.)

Impressed by:
    JM Blackberry & Bay

Disappointed by:
    Everything else I smelled all year long.
    One standout is Seville a L'Aube (simply not to my taste.) Another is Ineke Sweet William.

Oh ya, Sweet William, disappointment? Yes!
    I need to try that Seville a L'aube.
    I forgot about JM White Lilac & Rhubarb, that is a good one!

Default Re: Your favorite discoveries of 2012 ? Ones that impressed, disappointed you or found interesting?

Greatest disappointment for me is La Petite Robe Noire 2012. The original and Modele 2 were better.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I need to re-sniff that one but I wasn't hugely impressed the first time I sniffed it. The notes read that I would love it, I thought. Haven't sniffed those other two.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Favorite new sniffs this year:

Chypre Palatin by MDCI
    Tahani Attar by Amouage
    Bottega Veneta by Bottega Veneta
    X by Clive Christian
    M by Puredistance

Not impressed by:

Amazingreen by Comme des Garcons
    Vitriol d'Oeillet by Serge Lutens

(though to be fair it's probably more a case of my high expectations of these houses)

Oh, quite a few for me this year.

Parfumerie Generale a house I tried for the first time. It was a kind Basenoter who gave me a sample of one Iris Taizo, love on first sniff. Bought a 50ml bottle then went on to buy another on ebay.
    Tonkamande
    Louanges Propanes
    Cuir d'Iris

These are all I bought.

Juliette Has A Gun, a Basenoter recommended their sample set from their site.

Citizen Queen
    Calamity J

Strangely I love La Petite Noire 2012, I expected to hate it.

J Malone White Lilac and Rhubarb. I thought it would be the Iris one I loved.

Misses:
    Coco Noir, pleasant but boring.
    GaGa, expected so much from her ideas. Got a boring fruity floral thing.
    DONNA

Banned

i am new to perfume world so everything i smelled was in 2012 but perfumes that struck me most by beatuy from the very first sniff were:

1.Sarrasins
    2.Homage
    3.Ubar
    4.Sycomore
    5.Sacrebleu
    6.Shalimar vintage! this is like discovery for me
    7. chypres:Mitsouko/ Givenchy III/ Odalisque

the biggest dissapointments:

1.new Shalimar! thats really my biggest dissapointment, so synthetic bergamot that bites the nose!hay like middle that goes on forever, only the late drydown starts to resemble real shalimar
    Last edited by iivanita; 31st October 2012 at 07:55 AM.

Favorite discovery: Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle. Wow. It's not often anymore that a perfume knocks me off my feet, but this one did.

Second favorite discovery: White Lilac & Rhubarb by Jo Malone. Lilacs and ashes. My new favorite spring fragrance.

Those are the only two bottles of perfume I've bought this year. Nothing else seemed compelling enough to be FBW.

I have not had the chance to sniff much this year at all, but my favorite discovery has been Mauboussin ♥♥♥♥♥. It's true love. Everything else has been forgetable apparently because I can't even recall the disappointments.

For years I loathed gourmand scents or any scent that had a prominent fruit note, but this year, I discovered Gourmand Coquin by Guerlain. It changed my whole view on gourmand scents and since buying a bottle for my daugther, I've found myself leaning more towards gourmand scents. I do, however, don't like it when it's too foodie. So far, I've purchased Une Voix Noire, which has a dark fruit note, Ouris by SoOud; a smooth peach frag, Boxeuses; a plumy leather, Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay / English Pear & Freesia, and Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

Disappointments: Tea for Two. After reading people rave about it, I tried it and found it too foodie and sweet for me. Another similar disappointment was Mona di Orio Vanille.
    Last edited by ladymurasaki; 1st November 2012 at 09:54 AM.
    Do happy

Blog Entries

Favourite discoveries in 2012;

Vintage Narcisse Noir
    Carillon pour un Ange
    Champagne de Bois
    Habanita
    Alien Essence Absolue
    Rien

Ones that impressed or interested me;

Patchouli lmperial
    Aqua Universalis Forte
    lmmortal Mine
    Bal a Versailles
    Ubar
    No5 Eau Premiere
    Like This
    Fils de Dieu

l don't recall many real disappointments, because l have learned to keep my expectations low, but;

Jasmine et Cigarette was more bad breath than dirty, edgy jasmine to my nose.
    And Jardenia was pretty much unwearable for me, although this was more of a relief than a disappointment, bearing the price in mind!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I do want to try that gourmand Guerlain and maybe that Mauboussin sometime as well.

Séville à l'Aube is my favorite of the year, although I am hoping Voix Noire works for me too. Chanel Noir was pleasant but boring, and De Profundis just smelled like men's cologne on me, sadly.

I still kinda want to try De Profundis I suppose, even though most SL scents have been flops for me.

Discovery: Guerlain Cuir Beluga and Knize Two.

Impressed: Ineke Briar Rose (got a bottle), Amouage Interlude (will get a bottle when I can).

Disappointment: (just like 30R) Everything I smell with one that particularly disappointed L'Artisan Parfumeur Seville a l'Aube and several Francis Kurkdjians.

Please be careful with your Mauboussins. There seems to have been a reformulation/inferior batch, look for the darker orangey-brown liquid and a gasoline stained bottle.

Myrrhe et Delires (Guerlain) Adult pear.

Encens Mythique d'Orient (Guerlain) Rude sparkling ambergris with a floral touch.

Seville a l'Aube (L'Artisan Parfumeur) Rude orange blossom, Denyse got her money's worth out of Snoop D.

Volutes EDT (Diptyque) Friendly potpourri that occasionally channels Cuir Beluga.

Opus VI (Amouage) Ballsy amber.

Interlude Man (Amouage) Jelly Beans for grown-ups on opoponax & frankincense.

With these ones I can happily put my money where my mouth is

The By Kilian 'Asian Duo' and the Tom Ford "Santal Blush" were just silly.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 1st November 2012 at 07:14 AM.

Mine are:

Mon Precieux Nectar (Les Parisiennes): This gorgeous musky floral gourmand quickly (and unexpectedly) attained HG status. I don't usually like florals, but this seems to have a traditional Guerlain duality but with a more modern texture. So, so beautiful.

MOR Marshmallow: Another musky gourmand. A nice comfort scent.

Loverdose: I love anise and was delighted to smell it in Loverdose. It gradually sweetens into a standard sugary gourmand, but the first few hours are great.

Alien Essence Absolue: Good to know TM is still capable of making great scents. This full-bodied vanillic floral is a really nice antidote to all the anaemic or juvenile new releases out there.

Favorite discoveries in 2012:

Vero Profumo Mito
    The whole O'Driù line
    Comme Des Garcons EDP 2012
    Ambra Di Luna
    Agar Musk
    Entre Naranjos

Neela Vermeire's Trayee and Mohur (I LOVE LOVE LOVE these)
    Classic Patchouli by Von Eusersdorff
    Tawaf by Profumo.it

...others...

Impressed: the whole O'Driù line

Disappointment:

Comme Des Garcons Amazingreen
    Comme Des Garcons the new Play series
    Dior Grand Bal

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

My best discovery of 2012 has been the house of Etat Libre d'Orange. Well, at least the two of their frags that I have sampled:
    Rien and Rossy de Palma
    These two scents are way far away from my classic Guerlain and Chanel comfort zone and I absolutely love them!

Discoveries:
    Guerlain Myrrhe et Delires
    Mona di Orio Rose Etoile d'Hollande
    Atelier Vetiver Fatal (I normally don't wear vetiver-based fragrances, but I can see myself wearing it in the summer)
    Aedes de Venustas Signature eau de Parfum
    Rossy de Palma (I know it was not introduced in 2012, but it is when I discovered it; a very energizing, vibrant scent)
    Cartier Declaration d'un Soir: This took me by surprise. I liked the peppery rose; it's quite straightforward, but easy-going and pleasant.

Disappointments: too many to list, both mainstream and niche.

I'm not really done with 2012. I am expecting a few more new samples....
    Last edited by catnip_too; 1st November 2012 at 02:20 PM.

How could I forget Mon Precieux Nectar and Mito?

Not a bad year, really

Favorite discover - Loukhoum Keiko Mecheri.
    Disappointment - 1889 Moulin Rouge Histoires de Parfums, Tobacco Vanille TF.
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Since I'n still a newbie and my budding interest in unisex fragrances my list is fairly easy:
    Shalimar
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Chanel no. 19
    cuir de Lancome
    Mitsouko
    Corlian
    Portrait of a Lady
    Malle Musc Raveguer

just to start with and I have been lucky and have not tried any stinkers....yet.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Oh, great topic! This has been my first year of concerted exploration of perfumes, having previously just picked up whatever at department store counters without much consideration or analysis. Basenotes has really fostered a much deeper appreciation of perfumes, but I am afraid I am still in the phase of loving A LOT of fragrances! Anyway, I have to be a newbie and say that discovering new favorites has encompassed whole houses, such as Serge Lutens, Caron, and Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.

Rediscovering an old favorite has also been fantastic-- I gave up on No. 5 years ago when it began to smell like Raid on my skin after years of loving it. I am happily wearing it again with no insecticide notes!

Disappointments were also myriad this year: recent ones include Ineke Sweet William and Hothouse Flower. I think I have blocked the rest from my mind! However, one was particularly revolting and etched into my memory: Violet Blonde. After a few seconds on my skin = vile, cheap musk and nothing more.

Lovely thread and I am taking down names and making a wish list: so many Guerlains, so little time....and money and access.

Favorite find that surprised me most: vintage Joy. I am not a floral kinda girl, but I can sniff this until my nose goes numb from overuse.

Most disappointed: Not surprised, but I really wanted these two to break the celebrity mold and be GOOD. To me, they were just bland. These two women had such a great chance to make something ground-breaking, and did not:

1. Gaga
    2. Madonna

And found out I can't do much with vintage Carons. They just go to trash on my skin, and not in a good way.

A gourmand Guerlain. I am in such scent lust.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

+1 Violet Blonde..total scrubber, lol.

The sublime, ultra feminine Acqua di Parma Profumo. This current formulation is quite addictive and I find myself wanting to wear it every day, despite having a marvellous wardrobe to choose from.

A bottle of vintage Rive Gauche pure parfum. This was a revelation, so round, so full and so much more complex than the EDT.

Ditto a bottle of vintage Le Dix pure parfum. A complex, serious take on the perfume, a world away from the light, effervescent EDT that we Le Dix lovers usually only encounter. You get the full perfume journey, with wonderful, rich base notes, that are totally absent to my nose in the EDT.

Greatest disappointment - Acqua di Parma Gelsomino. Not the rich, embodiment of some rare Italian jasmine, just a rather strange iteration that I simply don't understand.

L'Occitaine Peony - had high hopes for this since the company employed a renowned Peony grower as consultant. What I got was a thin, green, uninspiring flower, without any real character. Serves me right for looking at an inexpensive soliflore to explore an unknown note. Perhaps the peony is a bland flower, but then why bother using it to blend with so many fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

Knocked my socks off: Annick Goutal Eau de Sud, Mandragore. I layer the Eau de Sud with lots of other scents, so much fun.
    Really, really love Hermes Eau Claire des Merveilles, Eau des Mervielles body cream and da, da da.....L'Ambre des Mervielles. My chemistry amps up amber and vanilla to the point of suffocation. This amber is just perfect on me.

Completely unimpressed by: Chanel Coco Noir, Lady Gaga's FAME, Guerlain's La Petit Robe Noir (latest one), Amouage Beloved, Balenciaga's Florabotanica, Bond No 9 Manhattan, Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay, Lancome La Vie Est Belle
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Aedes de Venustas Signature EDP
    Séville à l'Aube
    Comme des Garçons edp 2011
    Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes

Not necessarily from within the past year, just discovered I liked 'em:

Comme des Garçons Rhubarb
    Serge Lutens Louve

Disappointment:

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune -- thought it would be right up my alley, but... nyet. I haven't had much luck ever with Guerlain.
    Last edited by Furriner; 5th November 2012 at 01:53 AM.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Great Discoveries:
    Midnight In Paris, edp,
    Bois du Portugal,
    Dior Homme Intense
    Great Let Down:
    Musc Ravageur,
    Most Chanels except Bleu,
    Bois d'Argent

This year I have not done a lot of perfume smelling or shopping, but I really liked Mhyrre et Delires, the three orientals by Guerlain, Shanghai, What we do in Paris is Secret, Mitzah, Patchouli Imperial, Iris Ganache (I should have bought a bottle last year!).

I am intrigued by the new by Kilian In the City of Sin. I have a smpre of Ambre des Marveillels, but have not played with it yet.

Disappointments: Coco Noire, although it is not too bad, La Petite Robe Noire 2012 (I have a little bit left of the original and No. 2, I will take good care of them) Lady Gaga was a scrubber on me.
    Evenstar