Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Your favorite discoveries of 2012 ? Ones that impressed or disappointed you?

Lovely thread and I am taking down names and making a wish list: so many Guerlains, so little time....and money and access.

Favorite find that surprised me most: vintage Joy. I am not a floral kinda girl, but I can sniff this until my nose goes numb from overuse.

Most disappointed: Not surprised, but I really wanted these two to break the celebrity mold and be GOOD. To me, they were just bland. These two women had such a great chance to make something ground-breaking, and did not:

1. Gaga
    2. Madonna

And found out I can't do much with vintage Carons. They just go to trash on my skin, and not in a good way.

A gourmand Guerlain. I am in such scent lust.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Default Re: Your favorite discoveries of 2012 ? Ones that impressed or disappointed you?

+1 Violet Blonde..total scrubber, lol.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

The sublime, ultra feminine Acqua di Parma Profumo. This current formulation is quite addictive and I find myself wanting to wear it every day, despite having a marvellous wardrobe to choose from.

A bottle of vintage Rive Gauche pure parfum. This was a revelation, so round, so full and so much more complex than the EDT.

Ditto a bottle of vintage Le Dix pure parfum. A complex, serious take on the perfume, a world away from the light, effervescent EDT that we Le Dix lovers usually only encounter. You get the full perfume journey, with wonderful, rich base notes, that are totally absent to my nose in the EDT.

Greatest disappointment - Acqua di Parma Gelsomino. Not the rich, embodiment of some rare Italian jasmine, just a rather strange iteration that I simply don't understand.

L'Occitaine Peony - had high hopes for this since the company employed a renowned Peony grower as consultant. What I got was a thin, green, uninspiring flower, without any real character. Serves me right for looking at an inexpensive soliflore to explore an unknown note. Perhaps the peony is a bland flower, but then why bother using it to blend with so many fragrances.

Blog Entries

Knocked my socks off: Annick Goutal Eau de Sud, Mandragore. I layer the Eau de Sud with lots of other scents, so much fun.
    Really, really love Hermes Eau Claire des Merveilles, Eau des Mervielles body cream and da, da da.....L'Ambre des Mervielles. My chemistry amps up amber and vanilla to the point of suffocation. This amber is just perfect on me.

Completely unimpressed by: Chanel Coco Noir, Lady Gaga's FAME, Guerlain's La Petit Robe Noir (latest one), Amouage Beloved, Balenciaga's Florabotanica, Bond No 9 Manhattan, Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay, Lancome La Vie Est Belle
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

Aedes de Venustas Signature EDP
    Séville à l'Aube
    Comme des Garçons edp 2011
    Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes

Not necessarily from within the past year, just discovered I liked 'em:

Comme des Garçons Rhubarb
    Serge Lutens Louve

Disappointment:

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune -- thought it would be right up my alley, but... nyet. I haven't had much luck ever with Guerlain.
    Last edited by Furriner; 5th November 2012 at 01:53 AM.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Great Discoveries:
    Midnight In Paris, edp,
    Bois du Portugal,
    Dior Homme Intense
    Great Let Down:
    Musc Ravageur,
    Most Chanels except Bleu,
    Bois d'Argent

This year I have not done a lot of perfume smelling or shopping, but I really liked Mhyrre et Delires, the three orientals by Guerlain, Shanghai, What we do in Paris is Secret, Mitzah, Patchouli Imperial, Iris Ganache (I should have bought a bottle last year!).

I am intrigued by the new by Kilian In the City of Sin. I have a smpre of Ambre des Marveillels, but have not played with it yet.

Disappointments: Coco Noire, although it is not too bad, La Petite Robe Noire 2012 (I have a little bit left of the original and No. 2, I will take good care of them) Lady Gaga was a scrubber on me.
    Evenstar