Code of Conduct

Thumbs down YSL RGPH no more in black & brown can

I am in Paris. Visit the Galleries Lafayette YSL's counter and to my desmay I found out that the Rive Gauche PH is no longer in the superbly cool can, twin but in color with the female's blue flask.

Now it is in a square flask very similar to the L'HL flankers.

I think this is quite a loss for BN lovers of this fragrance, cool the same in content & container.

Please comment...

Default Re: YSL RGPH no more in black & brown can

It's been like that for months. Part of the rebranded Heritage range I believe.

That black and silver metalic can was quite iconic for Rive Gauche and the scent lasts for ages, at least 10 hours on me. It is sad to read the reports of the reformulation that is weak and just does not last. And changing the tin can to a flask is a step back. In times to come people will be reporting how weak and poor this fragrance is and it will be our duty to remind them that it was once a great fragrance but alas no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Thematt202 View Post
    It's been like that for months. Part of the rebranded Heritage range I believe.
    I didn't know it! Who on earth would think this as an improvement... My current flask (I bought it in an old downtown perfumery, is now a vintage one)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    That black and silver metalic can was quite iconic for Rive Gauche and the scent lasts for ages, at least 10 hours on me. It is sad to read the reports of the reformulation that is weak and just does not last. And changing the tin can to a flask is a step back. In times to come people will be reporting how weak and poor this fragrance is and it will be our duty to remind them that it was once a great fragrance but alas no more.
    But that's a shame! World is getting darker without the good old stuff it was made of. I' m tempted to look for some forgotten tin's cylinders next sunday at [B]Marche au puce[B]

Mourn with me please...

I will mourn the old bottle shape indeed, but then again, if the juice will not change much, at least this might help me get over some of the displeasure.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

It really is a sad story. RG has been so well known for being in the tin can. Now only is the re-formulation weaker, but you now get less juice and pay more money for it.

Glad I still have a full bottle of the original release.

I actually much prefer the new bottle to the old can. It looks more elegant and expensive (which unfortunately it is...), at least in the pictures. I'd much rather have the flask sitting on my vanity than the can.

For all the complaining, you would think no one knew that YSL was a fashion brand. Fashion is all about change. Constant change and evolution. Rive Gauche pour Homme was launched in 2003. Can you imagine if YSL was still selling the same clothes they launched in 2003?! They'd be out of business. But even given this, most fashion house fragrance lines still evolve at a snail's pace. We've had nine glorious years to appreciate Rive Gauche pour Homme in a tin spray can. Time for something new.

A beautiful spring day doesn't last forever, so appreciate it while you can. Everything becomes history eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by LA2000 View Post
    I actually much prefer the new bottle to the old can. It looks more elegant and expensive (which unfortunately it is...), at least in the pictures. I'd much rather have the flask sitting on my vanity than the can.

For all the complaining, you would think no one knew that YSL was a fashion brand. Fashion is all about change. Constant change and evolution. Rive Gauche pour Homme was launched in 2003. Can you imagine if YSL was still selling the same clothes they launched in 2003?! They'd be out of business. But even given this, most fashion house fragrance lines still evolve at a snail's pace. We've had nine glorious years to appreciate Rive Gauche pour Homme in a tin spray can. Time for something new.

A beautiful spring day doesn't last forever, so appreciate it while you can. Everything becomes history eventually.

Agree about the change part. Change is the only true constant right! But when the juice is changed and diluted so people have to apply more thereby having to rebuy sooner, is when it is time to change to something else.

Its not about the money...... its about sending a message Ha!

Thats the final step to the discontinuation. They made the fragrance much more expensive and much weaker.
    So who will still buying this one? When the tins get out of the market would you buy a expensive weaker version?
    Nor do I.

So, we will receive this reply:

"Unfortunatly, during the poor sales, we are discontinuing this fragrance from our range.
    We still offering L'Homme in our representative stores."

I'm also glad I have an original bottle (can), especially if it's true it has been reformulated & is now weaker. As its all about the fragrance itself to me & I don't display them, I could care less what the bottle looks like. I know there are plenty of collectors, however, so if a company wants to update something & re-brand or re-market it, that's fine. Heck, if they also decide to increase price after a 10 yr period, that's fine too. That's their gamble if it'll create the ROI in the long run or not. However, doing all of that while reformulating the juice so it's weaker is just shady business practice & a really crappy way to treat your loyal customers.

I agree, i dont care that much for the bottle, box, even name changes, but the smell is unacceptable.

Well, there's still a billion 'cans' of the original available online for a really good price, so get em while you....can.

This is sad if true. I have the original tin can version of Rive Gauche and I like it a lot. Yeah, it smells like shaving cream, but sometimes you just want to be a masculine man.

I have the original bought online and tried the new one at an airport to see if the rumours were true about the new edition. True doesnt cover it. Its a joke and a travesty. If reformulation means dilution and a thirty minute memory before it fades without trace then its a masterpiece.
    my current bottles

cuir de russie chanel
    guerlain vetiver
    colonia intensa AdParma
    1870 opus penhaligons
    london burberry
    prada amber pour homme
    guerlain homme l'eau boisee
    YSL rive gauche pour homme
    Eux des Baux L'Occitane
    diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    It really is a sad story. RG has been so well known for being in the tin can. Now only is the re-formulation weaker, but you now get less juice and pay more money for it.
    I agree, and counsel to buy only the tin/aluminum can ↓↓↓.

Any picture of the new bottle?

Update: If you're referring to this bottle below. This is old news, it's been like this for almost a year.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Any picture of the new bottle?

Update: If you're referring to this bottle below. This is old news, it's been like this for almost a year.
    Yes It is. I didn't know it. But this tin can is iconic (for example, LT made a remark about it) and if the juice is not the same, we are talking about a new collector's gem. I will invest in this stuff instead of Apple 's or GE stocks...

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    I agree, and counsel to buy only the tin/aluminum can ↓↓↓.

glad I saw this. Purchased a 4.2 oz bottle under $40. These prices won't last with posts like this.

I personally would prefer to have the bottle, as it looks a fair bit classier.

I'm happy I still have my Tin Can RG though, its a great fragrance although I don't reach for it all the time. It was available at our local Walmarts for $25 for about 2-3 years!
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

I have a nearly-full 125ml can, and since the change to the square bottle, lower strength, much more expensive version, I've been going easy on it because I've known it will be my last one.

But I wore it yesterday, and CheapSmells has it in stock again in the UK, so there's one more 125ml can on order now - it's too good to just sit back and give up on.

And I'm going to wear it again this evening!
    Alan

What i like about the tin can is how it is so light and easy to put in work bag or when traveling!
    Montales are similar, BUT I hate traveling with them because of that goofy cap mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by LA2000 View Post

I'm fine with change so long as it's change for the better. It sounds like the reformulation of RGPH is anything but that.

Banned
    Blog Entries

this is butchery at its worst. to do this to one of my all time favorites. i'm ordering 2 backup bottles of the vintage rive gauche for men this week.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    this is butchery at its worst. to do this to one of my all time favorites. i'm ordering 2 backup bottles of the vintage rive gauche for men this week.
    +1 I'm eager to browse the now vintage RG PH in old downtown's perfumerys, because I grow accostumed to that crispy, barbershop feeling, which I will long forever... (I poured so much cream in my strawberrys...)

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Well, there's still a billion 'cans' of the original available online for a really good price, so get em while you....can.
    yep

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Well Said Jack!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

I wrote about this briefly on my site: http://twosprays.com/10-discontinued...ock-up-on-now/

Many YSL classics fell victim to the reformulation and repackaging. To be fair, Rive Gauche was at one point selling for £15 on ebay (125ml). With Diors and Chanels consistently going for above £45, I'm pretty sure this was a way to move their scents further up-market.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Love Rive Gauche, and love the old "can" bottle, it is so lightweight, portable in gym bag, etc., not to mention iconic. Have noticed that prices online have risen significantly over last while, but must stock up.

Haven't tried new bottle, but do not particularly like the look of it, not to mention that it appears to have lost its oomph as well. Sad to see the demise of such a great scent, but expect the old formulation will be found online for a good while, with prices unfortunately rising exponentially over time as supplies dwindle.